Amount

UltraWoman (Lois & Clark Season 3 DVD)

02 Jul 2006 23:40 #6072 by YAGS
I picked up the Lois & Clark season 3 DVD set last week. I rarely watched it when it was first on, but I've been really getting into this show on DVD.

Besides, just the obvious, I think some of the subtle humor really picked up steam in the end of the 2nd season and start of the 3rd season so far. It started with a few very subtle visual jokes in season 2, like one time when Lois is talking to a woman who wears glasses, and she takes off her glasses just as she makes a comment about Clark and Superman having something in common. Now I've noticed 4 references to Batman and well known DC Comics employees in the first 7 episodes of season 3. Some of this stuff is really well hidden.

Also, disk 1 of the season 3 DVD set has the coolest intro I've ever seen on a DVD. It's basically one big ad for all the Superman stuff that's now available on DVD, showing various clips from the Christopher Reeve movies, the old George Reeves TV show, Lois & Clark, Smallville, and the Superman Adventures cartoon. And it's all set to John Williams' music from the movies. They follow it up, of course, with the original trailer ad for Superman Returns.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. I just watched the 7th episode of the season - where Lois Lane becomes UltraWoman. Good episode all around, although I was a little disappointed by the ubergirl action. There was some, but a lot of it was just implied, rather than shown, while some of the shown stuff was silly little stuff like slamming her fist on a table. I much prefer seeing superwomen using their powers on people, not breaking furniture, or even stopping trucks, although that part was kind of cool. I just would have liked to have seen more of her stopping bad guys, and we never got to see her use her superbreath, although she did use it "off camera" once.

And maybe it's just that they kept focusing on her face, so we didn't get that much of a chance to check out the whole body, but I didn't really like the outfit that much. I think the business suits Teri Hatcher usually wore on that show showed off her legs better, and she doesn't have big enough breasts to really fill out the UW outfit that well. And again, we see much else.

I don't want to give away too much for those who haven't seen this, but I liked Shelley Long in this episode, too. I know some people think she's very annoying, but I think she can be amusing in small doses, when playing to her strengths, as they did here. She fit in quite well as the guest villain here, playing it slightly over the top, just like most of the other guest villains on this show.

All in all, the ubergirl action was ok, but not great. Overall, the episode was a little predictable, but it did a great job of showing Superman's greatest weakness... and I don't mean kryptonite. And it did a great job of forwarding the ongoing romantic storyline of the series, with a surprisingly good reason for doing so this time, unlike some of the more contrived romantic plot twists in some earlier episodes.

YAGS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• YAGS
  • YAGS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Jul 2006 22:32 #6084 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: UltraWoman (Lois & Clark Season 3 DVD)
I saw that episode. I remember getting all excited over it but as it usually is with these things, it's never as good as you want it be. Still it's worth seeing, especially since superbabe action is so hard to come by.

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
04 Jul 2006 04:23 #6088 by Hughster
Replied by Hughster on topic Shelly Long
If I remember right, doesn't Shelly Long as the villain have a superpowered scene?

More
04 Jul 2006 06:28 #6092 by ace191
Lifts the depowered ultrawoman, runs at superspeed and misses Clark and hits her sister, Throws the Laser into space, moves at superspeed out of the armored car, uses her superbreath on superman and then lifts him by his throat if memmory serves me correctly.

More
04 Jul 2006 15:28 #6096 by YAGS

Lifts the depowered ultrawoman, runs at superspeed and misses Clark and hits her sister, Throws the Laser into space, moves at superspeed out of the armored car, uses her superbreath on superman and then lifts him by his throat if memmory serves me correctly.

Yeah, that about sums it up. As I said, I was trying not to give too much away about the plot. But yes, Shelley Long's ubergirl scenes were better than Teri Hatcher's as Lois Lane/Ultrawoman.

The only things Teri did on screen were lots of flying and using supervision, breaking a table, ripping a gate from it's hinges, and stopping a truck dressed as Lois Lane. She does fly carrying Shelley Long in one scene just before she loses her powers, but that's the only time she uses her powers on another person. No fight scenes at all. The truck thing was actually pretty cool, but other than that, her ubergirls scenes were pretty disappointing.

At least Shelley got to lift both Ultrawoman and Superman, and knocks down Superman with her superbreath, although the superbreath thing was a quick scene from a weird angle. But given the way the power transference worked, she fought them both when they were depowered, so it was pretty one sided. Her vs Ultrawoman when they were both full powered could have been awesome.

YAGS

• YAGS
  • YAGS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Jul 2006 19:44 #6101 by ace191
You left out the part about Lois using her X-Ray vision to see if Clark was a boxer or briefs kinda guy. This was by far the best (and highest rated)
episode of this show!

More
06 Jul 2006 02:27 #6129 by colt13
Replied by colt13 on topic Newtritch Sisters
"Ultra Lucille" . Shelley Long was great as the self absorbed villian. The fact that she was greedy, and older than your normal female villian was cool too. And because they went to jail instead of being killed off, some version of the Superman franchise might use them.

YAGS,
Since you like the humor, rewatch Bolt from the Blue in season 2. That's the one where Resplendent Man shows up and Denise Crosby steals his powers for about 20 seconds. There also is the earlier scene if you like tall women where Denise has to bend down to threaten Resplendent Man because he is so short.

More
20 Aug 2006 06:05 #6588 by superheroinebabes
Replied by superheroinebabes on topic more
I have some clips and pics here:
www.geocities.com/ultrawomantrihatcher/

• superheroinebabes
More
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds