Amount

Bionic Woman to premier on Wednesday starting in the fall

14 May 2007 14:57 #9259 by dauntingmold
Looks like it's official now. Slightly suprised it doesn't follow Heroes on Monday, not sure if thats a good thing or not, I would of thought it stood a better chance of ratings after Heroes but perhaps NBC think Lourneyman is the stronger show, who knows? At least its starting in the fall and not in January.

www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070514nbc01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dauntingmold
  • dauntingmold's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 May 2007 14:58 #9260 by dauntingmold
That would be Journeyman, sorry about the typo.

• dauntingmold
  • dauntingmold's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 May 2007 20:41 #9262 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Bw to premire wed this fall
By airing it wed, does that mean NBC has little faith in it? That they only picked it up because they had spent so much money(7 million plus) and time( long casting process for the lead) that to not pick it up up would have cost them more cash from the advertisers? Have they said where it's even going to be filmed?

More
15 May 2007 01:36 #9270 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Bw to premire wed this fall
Surprised that it didn't follow Heroes as well as seemed the perfect lead-in. Might be a blessing in disguise as the last "Heroes-follower", Studio 60, died a quick death as do most new shows in the dreaded 10-spot.

Actually, wanting it to be a success, might have just been process of elimination. The 10-ten death knoll not an option, there were limited options. NBC, following their cheap/free programming initiative in the 8 o'clock, chose to seed the week with news/game/reality fodder (only exception being Earl), so that left the nine o'clock slot.

Not sure about the other networks, but probably the only serious competition for that slot would come from Lost which people are deserting like a sinking ship. Maybe NBC smelled blood in the water over at "the alphabet" and decided to take them on head to head on Wednesday (if Lost is gonna play in that timeslot). Hopefully will pan out, but its not a terrible timeslot IMO, just not the what seemed like the ideal one (back-to-back with Heroes)

ElF

By airing it wed, does that mean NBC has little faith in it? That they only picked it up because they had spent so much money(7 million plus) and time( long casting process for the lead) that to not pick it up up would have cost them more cash from the advertisers? Have they said where it's even going to be filmed?

More
15 May 2007 06:10 #9273 by Random321
NBC has been very savy as of late. I think you're spot on with your comments Lfan. I've got high hopes for the show and maybe even okay ratings (even if I'm working to keep my expectations in check).

More
15 May 2007 16:35 #9283 by lfan
Hmm....maybe its NOT a great timeslot! Looks like ABC is rolling out their Grey's Anatomy spinoff in the same timeslot. While the two shows, IMO, fall at opposite ends of the spectrum, ABC's show will undoubtedly get some eyeballs and TIVOs! Hopefully, both can co-exist. Or better yet, ABC's show will fail miserably! :P

ElF

NBC has been very savy as of late. I think you're spot on with your comments Lfan. I've got high hopes for the show and maybe even okay ratings (even if I'm working to keep my expectations in check).

More
16 May 2007 00:24 #9290 by BobAnthony
Aside from being in that poor a timeslot, there THIS from Variety:

Executive Producer David Eick told Variety

Instead of focusing on terrorism and militarism, the new "Bionic" will explore the role of professional women in contemporary society and how they juggle their various roles.

"It's using the idea of artificial technology as a metaphor for what contemporary women sometimes feel is necessary to do everything that needs to be done," Eick said.

www.variety.com/article/VR1117951588.html?cs=1&s=h&p=0

This will BOMB BIGTIME! May as well call NBC--NPC--Nothing but Political Correctness!

More
16 May 2007 01:26 #9293 by lfan
Hmm, some negativity there, Bob. But don't give up hope yet!

That article was from 10/2006. I'll bet my left nut that its been retooled and rescripted since then, as it didn't seem to convey ANYTHING like that in the previews and everything I've read about the pilot AND in the prelim script snipets I saw. The preview is pseudo centered around Sara (another Bionic Woman which is I guess an homage to the Fembots), this doe snot sound like "...explore the role of professional women in contemporary society and how they juggle their various roles." Of course, no one will know till it airs....

Not familiar with Eick's body of work except for BSG (which I like) but I certainly his strength is his creativity and financial prowess as a producer cause his marketing of the show sucks bigtime. Watch his video interview on NBC's site and you'll cringe at how he describes the show.

In terms of its future, there's "sucking" and there is "sucks in ratings" -- and often the two are mutually exclusive!

ElF

Aside from being in that poor a timeslot, there THIS from Variety:

Executive Producer David Eick told Variety

Instead of focusing on terrorism and militarism, the new "Bionic" will explore the role of professional women in contemporary society and how they juggle their various roles.

"It's using the idea of artificial technology as a metaphor for what contemporary women sometimes feel is necessary to do everything that needs to be done," Eick said.

www.variety.com/article/VR1117951588.html?cs=1&s=h&p=0

This will BOMB BIGTIME! May as well call NBC--NPC--Nothing but Political Correctness!

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds