Amount

Another Supergirl on Smallville

11 Jun 2007 15:28 #9500 by jdrock24
Another Supergirl on Smallville was created by jdrock24
I've never watched this show, but here is a story about yet another Supergirl making her debut on Smallville. It sounds like they are basing her on the current comic book character:

community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide...girl-Soars/800016740

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jdrock24
  • jdrock24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Jun 2007 15:52 #9502 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
Oh my!!! (looks at calendar to make sure its not Apr 1st). Nice find, JD!

ElF

Update: Krytonsite.com and Comics2Film confirming the same report. Looks like it might be reality....

I've never watched this show, but here is a story about yet another Supergirl making her debut on Smallville. It sounds like they are basing her on the current comic book character:

community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide...girl-Soars/800016740

More
11 Jun 2007 18:54 #9506 by Albais
Replied by Albais on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
Well, finally a gooooood reason for watch the show!!!!!!!

Thanks for info JD, can't wait for see her in action.. :shock:

More
11 Jun 2007 19:17 #9508 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
Oh yes, a Bionic Woman remake now this, things are looking up. I can't wait for the autumn shows now.

More
11 Jun 2007 19:40 #9509 by lfan
Word from that article says that a casting call is gonna be going out soon. Any suggestions for casting?

Now that Veronica Mars is cancelled, Kristen Bell would be available, though I think she may be a little too old for the role.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Others?

Oh yes, a Bionic Woman remake now this, things are looking up. I can't wait for the autumn shows now.

More
11 Jun 2007 19:53 #9510 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
This is way better news than Bionic Woman... and that was already good news. Execution all depends on writing and character, of course, but very exciting news.

As far as the actress... most of my fav's would be too old. Given she's the same age as Kal but has been in suspended animation (so she's a total newbie to Earth, etc. ), they'll need someone who is convincingly a teenager and can pull of both naive and powerful. And, of course, someone who can act at least as well as the current cast. She should also be 5'7" or taller and fit looking.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
11 Jun 2007 20:55 #9511 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
It seems a little strange they would add a major character to the show, seeing how season 7 is to be Smallville' s last season. Are they thinking of a spin-off when Smallville ends?

More
11 Jun 2007 21:21 #9512 by shadar
A Smallville spinoff with a female Kryptonian lead? That sounds a bit too much like a dream come true to let myself do too much hoping.

But, with a new actress who wants to get a good run (current cast has been doing this too long already -- its a TV show, not a career) for a few seasons... I'm on board with that concept.

Put her into a urban setting (for complexity and to allow an secret-identity career of some significance) with lots of worthy opponents... besides, somebody has to keep Lex in line, and who better than Kal's blonde cousin?

Shadar

• shadar
More
11 Jun 2007 21:29 #9513 by lfan
Yeah, seems like its being setup for nothing but spinoff possbilities in my mind. I've seen it mentioned as a cheap desperate "jump the shark" move, but it its "declared" last season "jump the shark" theories don't really apply IMO.

With the addition of a new "semi-regular" female cast member (new Daily Planet editor), it seems very awkward that they'd introduce another female semi-regular on an already (forgive me) "female top-heavy" cast with Ms Kent, Lois, Lana, and Chloe. So maybe they are doing it with a purpose in mind....

Early favorable rumblings of BW over at NBC and the cancelling of Veronica Mars may have given the CW the impetus to test the waters with another "girl power" show to fill VM's void....well, we can hope....

ElF

A Smallville spinoff with a female Kryptonian lead? That sounds a bit too much like a dream come true to let myself do too much hoping.

But, with a new actress who wants to get a good run (current cast has been doing this too long already -- its a TV show, not a career) for a few seasons... I'm on board with that concept.

Put her into a urban setting (for complexity and to allow an secret-identity career of some significance) with lots of worthy opponents... besides, somebody has to keep Lex in line, and who better than Kal's blonde cousin?

Shadar

More
11 Jun 2007 22:47 #9514 by dauntingmold
If we're throwing names into the ring to play Kara, how about Kaley Cuoco

[/img]

More
12 Jun 2007 00:10 #9515 by shadar
Kaley is outstanding... sexy but also girl next door.

[img]ttp://velorian.org/p008.jpg[/img]

Shadar

• shadar
More
12 Jun 2007 00:12 #9516 by shadar
Sorry... link was botched:

Shadar

• shadar
More
12 Jun 2007 01:15 #9517 by lfan
Definitely has the look down, but what I saw of her on Charmed, she has this grating quality about her that's hard to like, IMO. Plus, her foray as a superheroine in "Battle of the Hexes" left a little to be desired. However, she DID look great in the outfit!

My $.02
ElF

Kaley is outstanding... sexy but also girl next door.

[img]ttp://velorian.org/p008.jpg[/img]

Shadar

More
12 Jun 2007 02:17 #9518 by AJF
Somebody at IMDB's Smallville page claims Julie Berman has been cast as Kara. The same is said at Berman's IMDB page. "They" claim she was secretly cast months ago. She's a regular on ABC's General Hospital, 5'3", born in 1983.

More
12 Jun 2007 04:34 #9519 by lfan
Hmm....she's almost 27 and hardly has the look of a "sixteen year old" but very attractive and has a good look nonetheless:

juliemarieberman.org/gallery/

As for the validity of the post, I'd be skeptical since the news JUST came out and mentioned a casting call going out soon. Still, I'd imagine they'd film the season premiere in July sometime, so they'd have to get going soon.....

ElF

Somebody at IMDB's Smallville page claims Julie Berman has been cast as Kara. The same is said at Berman's IMDB page. "They" claim she was secretly cast months ago. She's a regular on ABC's General Hospital, 5'3", born in 1983.

More
12 Jun 2007 05:00 #9520 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
I wondered how fast this would turn into a "she should be the one" thread! haha

This is good news. To be honest ~ I've watched maybe ten Smallville episodes ~ but this would of course drag me in. :)

As far as our pipe dream of a spin off. Well, let's see if some of the Buffy style fans jump onboard. We can hope.

I've seen it mentioned as a cheap desperate "jump the shark" move, but it its "declared" last season "jump the shark" theories don't really apply IMO.

Wait? Who said that ~ I'll kill them. Oh wait! I SAID THAT!!!

More
12 Jun 2007 14:54 #9521 by lfan
My correction......she's cast as a 19 year old (not a 16 yr old), so tthey could go with an older actress. Look like she's gonna be introduced at SDCC at the end of July so they gonna be casting her soon....

ElF

Hmm....she's almost 27 and hardly has the look of a "sixteen year old" but very attractive and has a good look nonetheless:

juliemarieberman.org/gallery/

As for the validity of the post, I'd be skeptical since the news JUST came out and mentioned a casting call going out soon. Still, I'd imagine they'd film the season premiere in July sometime, so they'd have to get going soon.....

ElF

More
12 Jun 2007 21:33 #9524 by dauntingmold
Over at www.kryptonsite.com/ they have a casting breakdown for the role. Sounds like the role hasn't been cast yet. I hope this is true, while Julie Berman is a good looking woman, she just doesn't scream Supergirl to me. Seems like she may be in 13 episodes, or between 7-13 episodes, or the role will be cast before 13 July or............. who knows?

More
13 Jun 2007 00:42 #9528 by lfan
Some more info on Sgirl plus cameo info on Helen Slater......

ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=4569

ElF

More
13 Jun 2007 01:24 #9530 by shadar
According to the blurbs, she can fly (which Clark can't), she's rebellious and strong-willed, and Jimmy Olson becomes her love interest. Lucky bastard.

Shadar

• shadar
More
13 Jun 2007 06:54 #9535 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Another Supergirl on Smallville
I wonder if they're going to have Clark meet/find her just as she's coming around from stasis or if she'll have been awake for a while and finds him.

I'm hopping she finds him ~ but they might think that's too close to what they did with that fake out Kara.

More
13 Jun 2007 16:21 #9548 by AJF
Micheal Ausiello whatever -his name- is at TVGuide.com says that the CW hopes to spin Kara off into her own series, but that you didn't here it from him.

More
13 Jun 2007 18:01 #9555 by lfan
Need to get the hidden "NOC List" of Nielson Families and make sure they watch to make it happen. And mobilize letter-writing campaigns!! I nominate Argo and Yosh to head it up!!

ElF

Micheal Ausiello whatever -his name- is at TVGuide.com says that the CW hopes to spin Kara off into her own series, but that you didn't here it from him.

More
13 Jun 2007 18:42 #9558 by shadar
Better and better... hope the writing and actress are good enough to get the viewers to substantiate the move. I worry that the average TV watcher isn't ready for a superstrong female lead.

But given the SG comic book sales, they have an audience (other than ourselves, who would be nutso about this).

Shadar

• shadar
More
14 Jun 2007 01:01 #9561 by AJF
I think the CW thinks BW is going to be a hit and they want to jump on the tv superwoman bandwagon.

More
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds