Amount

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Official Teaser Trai

28 Nov 2014 15:58 #39159 by fats
what more can you say but.

wow

fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, JessP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Nov 2014 16:16 #39160 by JessP
Alright Fats, I'll see your "Wow!" and raise you a "HOLY SH*T THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!!"
I don't know what I like better, the X-wings skimming the water surface or the Millennium Falcon's fancy new dish...

More
28 Nov 2014 18:04 #39161 by inactive
The trailer looks great, but...

The first trailer for Phantom Menace was great as well, and that didn't go so well in the end.

- GeekSeven

More
28 Nov 2014 18:05 #39162 by castor
Now this is a teaser trailer!!

Its interesting comparing this to Jurassic World. Which was all about creating wonder and spectacle. This one goes for Excitement and tension. Its an effect i can kind of get behind-becuse it struck me-there is very little in jurrasic world that they fundementally couldn't have done in the 90s And while i think maybe the soccor ball would have been done in stop motion, very little here couldn't have been done in the 80s.

Wonder is very hard to do with special effect these days. But Excitment isn't. Which is something for movies in are corner of the world to consider.

More
29 Nov 2014 08:17 #39168 by TwiceOnThursdays

castor wrote: Now this is a teaser trailer!!

Wonder is very hard to do with special effect these days. But Excitment isn't. Which is something for movies in are corner of the world to consider.

I think Jurassic Park managed to amp Wonder with CGI -- but that was partially as we'd not seen anything quite like that before, not at that level. But, it didn't rely solely on CGI to give Wonder. The movie added some kids and had Sam Neil act as a great lens to set up the scene and convey the wonder. And it's now much harder to show movie goers something they'd never seen before.

I think Wonder has to be conveyed by the story and actors, and the CGI can only help bring that about (or fail and totally ruin it). The first Matrix movie felt like that, but it was STILL sold by the actors and the story.

Excitement, you can get that with action, cgi, and sound.

It's amazing how much the trailer trafficked on our emotional attachment to Star Wars via sound. the last 30 seconds of the trailer are packed with sound. BAM, the Star Wars theme starts blaring, suddenly the Millennium Falcon is on screen whirling about. You hear Tie fighters roar by. Pop to the logo and continuing with the theme. What's the last thing you hear? A light saber turning on.

I'm not sure that there is a fan of Star Wars that those elements don't get the pulse racing. It's almost pavlovian.

But a totally NEW movie would have a hard time with the same setup. Some ship flying around with orchestral music? And some weird sound at the end? Not very exciting. Even the bits of the Falcon flying are pretty tame. But that was the Falcon, the Star Wars theme, and a light saber. ;-)

Star Wars has some rich visual imagery, but aside from the iconic sound of a Mac turning on, or the TARDIS landing/taking off, few sounds have the recognition of Star Wars. (You'd probably have to go to video games.) It's a master class on building a rich library of sound. Ships, blasters, the sound track, tie fighters, x-wings, light sabers, R2-D2...

Few movies really try for sound. Scott Pilgrim used sound really well, trying to remember another movie that used sound like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: castor

More
30 Nov 2014 08:39 #39180 by Woodclaw
Well, I'm not too excited about this because I'm honestly not fan of any past J.J. Abrahms's works. The trailer looks amazing but -- as G7 kindly reminded us -- so did those for Phantom Menace. I don't deny that the nostalgia factor is a big player here, but I would much prefer to wait and see, for now.

More
30 Nov 2014 09:51 #39181 by oldHarmonyMotion
what the heck, are people seeing the same trailer i'm seeing? there was absolutely no content in there

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
30 Nov 2014 15:04 #39184 by Sarge395
I don't want to see the plot. I want true teasers and no giveaways. We are all going to see it anyway. Why not save some surprises for the movie for once.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Nov 2014 15:47 - 30 Nov 2014 15:48 #39185 by castor

Sarge395 wrote: I don't want to see the plot. I want true teasers and no giveaways. We are all going to see it anyway. Why not save some surprises for the movie for once.

Of the 88 seconds

*33 of them where Black Screen

*22 Seconds where The Logos

Which leaves 33 seconds of actual footage....

And i am perfectly happy about that. Its cleverly done, edited and paced, and uses sound effects extremely well(as tuesday pointed out). It did a good job of giving us shots we didn't see before.-not just the millenium falcon or armed guarded lightsabers-but shots of a troop transport that felt very diffrent but the same to star wars, or shots of a guy in storm trooper armor looking scared.- there really isn't a story here-but it does create a kind of mood-of scared humanism that works for it, that feels both very star wars and kind of diffrent.

As been pointed out yeah if this wasn't called star wars no one would care-but it is.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2014 15:48 by castor.

More
30 Nov 2014 16:34 #39186 by oldHarmonyMotion
but how can you make any judgment if there's no content? the millenium falcon flew around, there was a ball rolling in the desert, and a goofy looking saber

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
01 Dec 2014 12:52 #39196 by fats
for a film that will not be out for another year, what has been shown is very cool. I think the lightsaber claymore is very cool, the ball droid is going to be a comic element of the film and the millenium falcon looks phenomenal.

Fats

• fats
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Dec 2014 14:34 #39197 by shadar

oogber wrote: but how can you make any judgment if there's no content? the millenium falcon flew around, there was a ball rolling in the desert, and a goofy looking saber

Given that the first three Star Wars movies are so cemented into the skulls of so many youthful (and not so youthful) brains, its takes very little to tickle that latent sense of imagination. In fact, I would submit in this situation, less is more.

This was masterfully done to unleash the imagination without giving anything away. Brilliant, especially using the old sound effects.

Given the reaction this teaser has elicited, and if this was my film, I'd also keep any subsequent trailers unusually sparse, right up to the movie release, Keep people guessing while feeding them the smallest bits of imagery and sound.

IMHO, trailers SHOULD create anticipation and spark the imagination without giving people enough to allow them to decide if they are likely to enjoy the movie or not. I don't know how many trailers I've seen that discouraged me from going to see the movie. I want to be truly surprised in the theater, either for good or bad.

It would be cool if the only pre-release info came from leaks from the set (which may include planted leaks) and the actors and director as they tour the talk shows just before general release. They will have rigid rules what they can talk about as usual, but actors will also make mistakes and leak more than they should, which will be good for the talk shows and the movie. More teasers.

I'd even avoid the usual early viewings by reviewers and others associated with the industry. Keep as many people guessing and hungry as possible until the general release.

This is Star Wars. None of the usual rules need apply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

• shadar
More
01 Dec 2014 16:19 #39205 by paulwitz
I completely agree with Shadar. Pretty much everything in life is psychological. Get everyone's curiosity factor foaming in the brain to maximize viewings of the new Star Wars Movie. Sort of like The Art of War and car commercials. Lol.

More
01 Dec 2014 17:46 #39206 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote:

oogber wrote: but how can you make any judgment if there's no content? the millenium falcon flew around, there was a ball rolling in the desert, and a goofy looking saber

Given that the first three Star Wars movies are so cemented into the skulls of so many youthful (and not so youthful) brains, its takes very little to tickle that latent sense of imagination. In fact, I would submit in this situation, less is more.

This was masterfully done to unleash the imagination without giving anything away. Brilliant, especially using the old sound effects.

Given the reaction this teaser has elicited, and if this was my film, I'd also keep any subsequent trailers unusually sparse, right up to the movie release, Keep people guessing while feeding them the smallest bits of imagery and sound.

IMHO, trailers SHOULD create anticipation and spark the imagination without giving people enough to allow them to decide if they are likely to enjoy the movie or not. I don't know how many trailers I've seen that discouraged me from going to see the movie. I want to be truly surprised in the theater, either for good or bad.

It would be cool if the only pre-release info came from leaks from the set (which may include planted leaks) and the actors and director as they tour the talk shows just before general release. They will have rigid rules what they can talk about as usual, but actors will also make mistakes and leak more than they should, which will be good for the talk shows and the movie. More teasers.

I'd even avoid the usual early viewings by reviewers and others associated with the industry. Keep as many people guessing and hungry as possible until the general release.

This is Star Wars. None of the usual rules need apply.

Well, as far as anticipation goes, this teaser trailer is doing its job perfectly. Over the last few days there has been a ton of talking, analysing a dissecting those few seconds.

More
01 Dec 2014 22:49 #39212 by BloodRayne89
Probably the best teaser I've seen since the original Jurassic Park!
I remember hearing alot of rumors years and years ago that if the sequel trilogy was ever made, it feature a female protagonist. Looking at how prominently Daisy Ridley is shown in the teaser, I'm wondering if that's true!

More
16 Apr 2015 20:22 #41509 by fats
the second trailer is now up

Bloody nice.

fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, Markiehoe

• fats
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Apr 2015 20:32 #41511 by lfan
I ewoked my pants when he said "we're home" Cannot wait!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
16 Apr 2015 22:04 #41512 by Markiehoe
The force is strong with this one.

More
16 Apr 2015 22:58 #41513 by ArgentDragon
One of the cooler implications is that we're going to see Jedi Leia. Possibly with Anakin's lightsaber.

More
17 Apr 2015 00:05 #41515 by TwiceOnThursdays
I simultaneously love this, and think that it spent too much time on Han/Luke/Leia. But much kick-ass in this trailer. I mean i know WHY they did so much Han/Luke/Leia, as hearing Mark Hamil be Luke again, seeing Han and Chewie again. Holy Shit. (Man can Hamil lay down a voice track now.)

And once again Lucasfilms shows they know what to do with sound. Man can Hamil lay down a voice track now, but there are subtle and not so subtle sounds throughout this. Love the Dark Vader breathing sounds...

But I think I like the wrecked Star Destroyer the most.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
17 Apr 2015 01:26 - 17 Apr 2015 01:39 #41516 by castor

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: I simultaneously love this, and think that it spent too much time on Han/Luke/Leia. But much kick-ass in this trailer. I mean i know WHY they did so much Han/Luke/Leia, as hearing Mark Hamil be Luke again, seeing Han and Chewie again. Holy Shit. (Man can Hamil lay down a voice track now.)

And once again Lucasfilms shows they know what to do with sound. Man can Hamil lay down a voice track now, but there are subtle and not so subtle sounds throughout this. Love the Dark Vader breathing sounds...

But I think I like the wrecked Star Destroyer the most.

Well thats "This" Teaser trailer. While the first one was about introducing new characters,props etc visually. This one is about show casing the characters we have already know. This is kinda of aproiate at a trailer thats debuting at a huge fan convention full of people who watched the old movies.

Of course none of the new characters have talked or been introduced other then leaked information about there toys...but somehow that actually seems very star wars to me. That said the reason Han Solo got such a big reaction, as he is the primary character in star wars who..well actually has a personality.

But i agree with the star destoyer. There doing a pretty good job of keeping the elements of the old movies, and reinterpreting into interesting things. I kind of like how they seem to be showing that the empire seems weaker and more disaray-its a humanizing touch.

One of the cooler implications is that we're going to see Jedi Leia. Possibly with Anakin's lightsaber

One thing about the star wars movies is...well the Female characters never do much. They occasionally shoot guns at storm troopers and thats about it. leias main role in the plots was to get rescused by the heros. Padme in the prequel trilogy was a touch more active, as she tended to lead the plots but still a large part of the story was the need for the male characters to 'protect her'. There where a couple of female jedi-but well none of them got lines or anything (okay other then the Librarian whose scene in Episode 2 is pretty great).

This is hyper early-but i am not really getting from this one-if anything the one female character we see seems to be the protagonist, which you know is something. Thats may change but ehh.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 01:39 by castor.

More
17 Apr 2015 15:18 - 17 Apr 2015 15:19 #41523 by brantley
Can't tell if the movie will actually be any good, only that it will have great special effects. I don't think I have to remind anyone here that we've had loads of sf and comic book movies with great SFX and little else. And I sure don't have any confidence in Abrams... One detail that may be a matter of pure oversight rather than sf world building (different species having different lifespans): Han has aged a lot, but Chewbacca hasn't.

--Brantley
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 15:19 by brantley.

More
17 Apr 2015 15:29 #41524 by castor

brantley wrote: Can't tell if the movie will actually be any good, only that it will have great special effects. I don't think I have to remind anyone here that we've had loads of sf and comic book movies with great SFX and little else. And I sure don't have any confidence in Abrams... One detail that may be a matter of pure oversight rather than sf world building (different species having different lifespans): Han has aged a lot, but Chewbacca hasn't.

--Brantley

Well there diffrent creatures different biologies

i like to think that as they age Wookies hair gets more glossy and shinny.

More
17 Apr 2015 15:44 #41525 by jdrock24
That was sheer awesomeness! Loved the nostalgia factor in it.

More
18 Apr 2015 08:53 #41547 by Woodclaw

brantley wrote: Can't tell if the movie will actually be any good, only that it will have great special effects. I don't think I have to remind anyone here that we've had loads of sf and comic book movies with great SFX and little else. And I sure don't have any confidence in Abrams... One detail that may be a matter of pure oversight rather than sf world building (different species having different lifespans): Han has aged a lot, but Chewbacca hasn't.

--Brantley

At the cost of sounding like biggest nerd than I really am (which is no small feat believe me), I remember that wookies have longer lifespan than humans. Plus, as Castor noted different species probably age in different ways.

More
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds