Amount

Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month

12 Mar 2009 12:55 #15128 by lfan
Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month was created by lfan
OK, as Monty Python would say, "Now for something COMPLETELY different...."

OK, not so different, but a little twist and attempt to kick-start the fiction submissions around these parts (save for G7 and DKC of late). If ya'll have been reading one of the other threads -- I'm sure it didn't go unnoticed, there's not that many active ones to track! -- you'll remember that Berkhat posted a wonderful array of supervillainess "types" in a Top Ten list. Here is the recap:

#10: The Dumb Blonde
#9: Prostitutes
#8: The Already Powerful
#7: The Bully
#6: Bond Girls
#5: The Petty Tyrant --- ElF
#4: The Crazy Psycho Bitch
#3: This Woman
#2: The Rap Star
#2 (tie): The Convict
#1: The Celebutante

It was suggested by Argo that we divvy the list up for the authors to attempt to write an ubergirl tale about. No muss, no fuss! I'd like to evenly distribute the list, but if someone is hell-bent on selecting a single type, go for it and not let someone else choosing yours eliminate you from submitting. The goal here -- as has always been -- is to get some new stories from our community. So old writers, new writers, and not-heard-from-in-a-while writers bring out your imaginations and jump in!

Let's set the deadline for May 1st and see how that goes. With luck we'll get some nice commissions and maybe kick-start things around here again!

OK, I'll get the ball-rolling and throw my hat in the ring by selecting #5, Petty Tyrant as my topic. Others please chime in!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Mar 2009 13:01 #15130 by Spulo
Replied by Spulo on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Bond Girls please.

More
12 Mar 2009 15:30 #15131 by angels
Replied by angels on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
I'll take The Already Powerful so that DietSnapple can go with the Celebutante.

I just started a new job taking up a majority of my life and I still think I have enough time to do this. Don't sign up unless you really plan on submitting to this - it would be amazing to have 11 new pieces in the bank on May 1!

More
12 Mar 2009 17:47 #15132 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Updated tally sheet:

#8: The Already Powerful --angels
#6: Bond Girls -- Spulo
#2: The Rap Star
#1: The Celebutante

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Mar 2009 21:26 #15134 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Celebutante, please!

- GeekSeven

More
12 Mar 2009 21:26 #15135 by Berkhart
Replied by Berkhart on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
This sounds awesome! Glad to see my list inspired some super villainess love. I love all these types of uber bad girls, but if nobody minds, I'll take the "rap star".

More
12 Mar 2009 22:00 #15136 by lfan
Excellent start so far....hopefully so more people will join the challenge:

#2: The Rap Star -- Berkhart
#1: The Celebutante -- GeekSeven

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Mar 2009 23:09 #15138 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
You couldn't have waited until April to start this? I know, I know - You had to keep the momentum going from the discussion in the thread ( www.superwomenmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1993&start=0 ) that started it. My life's just so busy right now that I won't even know if I have enough free time to participate for at least another 3 weeks.

I'll say tentatively that I'll take #7, The Bully, but if someone else really wants that one, I'll step aside. I'll think about what I want to write if I have time, and let you know in 3 weeks if I can stay in or not. Just one thing - the bully topic seems like a very high school-ish theme. Is there a minimum age limit on the fictional characters in our stories?

YAGS

More
13 Mar 2009 00:29 #15139 by lfan
Personally, I like to keep them above the age of 18....let's go with that as it can still fall under "high school senior"

ElF

You couldn't have waited until April to start this? I know, I know - You had to keep the momentum going from the discussion in the thread ( www.superwomenmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1993&start=0 ) that started it. My life's just so busy right now that I won't even know if I have enough free time to participate for at least another 3 weeks.

I'll say tentatively that I'll take #7, The Bully, but if someone else really wants that one, I'll step aside. I'll think about what I want to write if I have time, and let you know in 3 weeks if I can stay in or not. Just one thing - the bully topic seems like a very high school-ish theme. Is there a minimum age limit on the fictional characters in our stories?

YAGS

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Mar 2009 00:57 #15140 by brad328
Replied by brad328 on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
I think bullies can and are in more than just school. I'm sure some people in the workplace can be considered bullies (and for those that remember an episode of "Friends" where Ross and Chandler dealt with bullies at Central Perk).

More
13 Mar 2009 01:20 #15141 by YAGS
This isn't really the kind of bully who just picks on random people they'll never see again, though. I'm going with the comments posted in the original thread for the type of bully.

This is the "Mean Girls" type - the queen of the popular clique that rules the school. And unlike male bullies who use physical superiority on the geeks, she just uses her good looks, money, popularity, and wicked tongue to strike fear into her enemies, avoiding physical confrontations for fear of an equal fight... until she gains superpowers.

YAGS

More
13 Mar 2009 01:37 #15142 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Where should we send stories?

- GeekSeven

More
13 Mar 2009 02:52 #15144 by brad328
Replied by brad328 on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
I'm hoping I can come through on this one.

Put me down for the convict

More
13 Mar 2009 03:40 #15145 by lfan
#7: The Bully -- YAGS (maybe)
#2 (tie): The Convict -- Brad328

I'm hoping I can come through on this one.

Put me down for the convict

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Mar 2009 04:54 #15146 by YAGS
So now that you've sucked me in and got me thinking of writing a story again for the first time in a year or two, I thought about it and realized that one of my previous story ideas sorta fits the theme. I actually started writing it a while ago, but never got around to finishing it. But it's that "sorta fits the theme" that kind of has me worried.

So here's the question, which I'm pretty sure I asked on SWM years ago, but I'm going to try again in the hopes of getting an answer that I like better. :twisted: What exactly is an ubergirl? Is there some sort of minimum requirement for the type/level of power a girl has to have in order to qualify as "on topic" here on SWM?

Some of you may remember my "21st Century Magic" series, which is about magic returning to the modern world in force, with ordinary people getting magical powers seemingly at random. Well, I've done a variety of stories with women with various powers - not just your typical superstrength, invulnerability, flying, etc. My first story was actually a size changing story that I shared on some giantess sites instead of here. I've also got story ideas based on girls with telekinesis, mind control, teleportation, and some other powers.

In fact, my story "Do You Really Think You're Worthy of Me?" that I posted here for one of the workshops was related to a superpower idea I had that I've never seen anywhere else. One of these days, I want to go back and write the sequel to that one, explaining where her power came from and why it wasn't permanent - the idea's unusual enough that I think you'll all appreciate it.

So would a story about a magically powerful girl who doesn't have the typical super strength and invulnerability be on topic here? I actually have a story I started writing a long time ago about a "Mean Girl" type school bully that would seem to fit the "bully" theme that I chose for this thread perfectly, except that her power isn't super strength. I'd say her power fits her personality better than that, actually, which I think makes it better for the story. What do you think?

YAGS

More
13 Mar 2009 14:35 #15150 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Stories can be sent to me at webmaster@superwomenmania.com like all other stories. I'll post anything I receive by the due date you guys agree on.

ADMIN

Where should we send stories?

More
13 Mar 2009 15:06 #15151 by angels
Yags - I know a lot of us have appreciated your take on the ubergirl before - I don't know why that would change now. I think being a superwoman is as much about the attitude as it is the type of abilities - it's all in how she uses them!

I'm hoping to see entries from Argo, Ace, and hopefully Sharon or Yosh. You'd think DKC, Marknew, and Conceptfan would be all over this by now too.

More
13 Mar 2009 17:15 #15153 by lfan
YAGS, fine by me.....

Re: the other others, I've sent up requests to a few -- Marknew is in for the Dumb Blonde.

ElF

Yags - I know a lot of us have appreciated your take on the ubergirl before - I don't know why that would change now. I think being a superwoman is as much about the attitude as it is the type of abilities - it's all in how she uses them!

I'm hoping to see entries from Argo, Ace, and hopefully Sharon or Yosh. You'd think DKC, Marknew, and Conceptfan would be all over this by now too.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Mar 2009 17:25 #15155 by julievelor
Replied by julievelor on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Is there a length limit? Are we talking short stories or novellas?

More
13 Mar 2009 19:29 #15156 by lfan
No limit/no minimum (within reason)

ElF

Is there a length limit? Are we talking short stories or novellas?

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 Mar 2009 19:30 #15157 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
I am in a pretty bad work bind at the momment, but I have already outlined a "Hooker Story" in my mind, so If I do one, that will be it.

More
13 Mar 2009 19:52 #15158 by angels
So the current count is:

#10: The Dumb Blonde -- Marknew
#9: Prostitutes -- ace191 (maybe)
#8: The Already Powerful -- angels
#7: The Bully -- YAGS (maybe)
#2 (tie): The Convict -- Brad328

So we have two more to take care of or some double ups, which shouldn't be a problem either. JulieVelor? You up for one?

More
13 Mar 2009 22:29 #15162 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
Well, I guess I'm not on Lfan's speed-dial.

I haven't been checking in with my usual regularity for the past couple of days. I'm in Paris :) with my wife :D and 11 high-school students :( . So the only time I can check in is around 11:00 p.m, after our charges have been sent to their rooms.

Anyhow ...

As the regulars are aware, I'm a "good" supergirl aficionado, though I've been known to work the other side of the street from time to time. As it happens, I've been working on a script for SexySuperHeroines that falls under the "crazy psycho bitch" rubric. So put me down for that one. If I don't have time to turn it into a conventional story, I can submit the script.

Julie -- Any chance you might write a sequel to "An Accident Waiting To Happen" as a second submission in the "dumb blonde" category?

More
13 Mar 2009 22:53 #15164 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
I hope you remembered your special "tape" to put on the outside of the doors at night to see that folks don't change positions, along with the usual football of bandaides, extra cell phone batteries, breathalyzer, Ice packs, Asprin, tylenol (for your headaches) ect.

In case of student dusputes, just go with the Mad Max rules. Two students in, one student out alive!

And if they really get out of hand, just threaten that you will take them to Euro Disney and ditch em!

More
14 Mar 2009 00:13 #15166 by julievelor
Replied by julievelor on topic Re: Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
No, it's not the dumb blonde from "Accident."

Inspired by GeekSeven's "Pearl Harbor," I've started on an alternate version of "The Last Daughter of Krypton." She arrives on Earth in a different place and different time. I suppose the closest one on the list is #3.

For a brief synposis of the story, see julievelor.tripod.com/UM/um00.html

More
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds