Amount

SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions

06 Jul 2005 21:16 #1675 by lfan
Well, I guess its time to start another one of these! Hopefully the dwindling number of submissions as we've gone along is a sign of the summer doldrums and college breaks that usually slow the genre interactivity down in the Summer months, but we'll see.....

Pending admin's desire to run another one of these, I'd like to make a suggestion on the "format" rather than the content.

Perhaps we try a 'short story' workshop depicting a specific scene (e.g. bank robbery, transformation) and set a minimum length (e.g. 1000 words).

Slightly disappointing in my mind is the number of new authors which I understand will slow, by definition, over time. Nevertheless, I think sometimes that maybe some people 'do not have enough time' because of the length of story they may think necessary. Dunno....maybe I'm totally wrong, but wanted to throw it out there to see what people thought....

LF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Jul 2005 22:02 #1681 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
That would be fun. No reason not to have a little exercise that would focus on the "best part".

I do have an idea for the next "full" topic, as I'm sure others do too, but I'll hold onto it until it's time.

More
06 Jul 2005 22:23 #1682 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
Truth be told, I think its simply laziness on my part trying to keep up with yours and CF's page count! :P

LF

That would be fun. No reason not to have a little exercise that would focus on the "best part".

I do have an idea for the next "full" topic, as I'm sure others do too, but I'll hold onto it until it's time.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jul 2005 00:18 #1683 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions

Perhaps we try a 'short story' workshop depicting a specific scene (e.g. bank robbery, transformation) and set a minimum length (e.g. 1000 words).

How about a workshop theme along the lines of the "Super Professionals" gallery featured on SGI? Authors would submit a vignette depicting a superwoman using her powers (secretly or openly) in the workplace. Example: You take your car to a new mechanic. An attractive woman comes out of the garage, wiping grease off her hands. "What seems to be the problem?" You're not sure -- something to do with the transmission, you think. "Well, let's take a look." Placing a hand underneath your car, she casually lifts it over her head and inspects the underside of the chassis. "Okay, I'll see what I can do."

More
07 Jul 2005 01:14 #1685 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
While trying to write a shorter story, or just a scene, might be an interesting exercise, I don't know if that'll be the solution to your problem.

I was going to suggest a slightly longer time limit. How about 3 or 4 months to write each story instead of 2? For some of us who are new and slow when it comes to writing, it might give us the additional time we need to get it done.

Of course, then the complaint becomes that there aren't enough workshops, so maybe we could overlap them. ie Start a 4 month workshop every 2 months, so there is one ending every 2 months, but we get 4 months to write each story. The more prolific writers would probably participate in all of them, while those of us who are slower would probably only participate once in a while.

As for themes, I'm not sure if you're still looking for those suggestions, too, but I've got one: creative sources of power. In other words, we could see who can come up with the most original idea for an origin story.

YAGS

More
07 Jul 2005 05:22 #1688 by lfan
I like the original origins idea, YAGS....as for the time limit, my personal opinion (maybe tainted by my own experiences) is that people are cranking under the deadline in the last week if the story is one month, 2 months, 4 months, or 5 years.

Admin might wanna chime in on this, but with a few exceptions, most stories are always handed in on the last day, and I suspect its usually cause people were working on them right under the final bell --- or in my case, after the bell.

I personally have no problems with the overlapping suggestion. While I question its effectiveness, I have been wrong before. Well, I'm usually wrong, but what I'm saying is I'm game to give it a go as well....

Any other thoughts on the matter?

LF

While trying to write a shorter story, or just a scene, might be an interesting exercise, I don't know if that'll be the solution to your problem.

I was going to suggest a slightly longer time limit. How about 3 or 4 months to write each story instead of 2? For some of us who are new and slow when it comes to writing, it might give us the additional time we need to get it done.

Of course, then the complaint becomes that there aren't enough workshops, so maybe we could overlap them. ie Start a 4 month workshop every 2 months, so there is one ending every 2 months, but we get 4 months to write each story. The more prolific writers would probably participate in all of them, while those of us who are slower would probably only participate once in a while.

As for themes, I'm not sure if you're still looking for those suggestions, too, but I've got one: creative sources of power. In other words, we could see who can come up with the most original idea for an origin story.

YAGS

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jul 2005 08:27 #1691 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
We've hardly stopped typing for Workshop 1.4 and ALREADY Lfan wants to talk about 1.5! I can almost hear the sound of a whip cracking (which is fine if it's being cracked by Mrs. Cf., but significantly less so when it's Lfan.)

I like the idea of a shorter piece - Lfan did you mean minimum 1000 words (as you typed) or maximum? Maybe we should set a range, say 500-1500. Anything that gets more people involved is great. We could make it a single scene: Transformation, Origin, Discovery or a particular scenario - solving a problem with superpowers, the use of specific powers etc. etc.

I also like the competitions overlapping idea. We could do a "short" workshop every 2 months and a long one every 4, but I agree with Lfan. I tend to do everything when the deadline looms - no matter if I'd had 2 months or 2 days or 2 years... But we could set Workshops 1.5 (a very short one with 2 month deadline) and 1.6 (longer - 4 months) at the same time. (Admin - is this possible?)

What's depressing is anticipating entries from great genre writers who say they're in and then they're not. If doing single-scene stories ("vignettes" sounds too much like a salad dressing...) and having longer deadlines fixes this, then I'm all for it.

What does everyone else think?

More
07 Jul 2005 09:01 #1693 by marknew742
I sometimes have trouble making things short. I get a bit wrapped up in context and detail, but it would be an enjoyable challenge for me. So I'm all for it ... so long as inspiration moves me.

Also, I don't mind a longer deadline but can we set the topics within the next couple of weeks. Summer is my prime writing time.

More
07 Jul 2005 11:24 #1694 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
As for forums, StoryBank, polls etc. we can easily handle shorter or overlapping workshops.

The author of the story that gets the most votes normally sets the next topic - if we are doing 2 topics, we will need to work out who decides what...

The poll closes next Tuesday (1 week after it opened) so we won't have a winner (i.e. topic picker) until then. Meantime, people should get their suggestions for the next topic(s) out in the open as soon as possible.

admin.

More
07 Jul 2005 14:36 #1695 by lfan
Yes, I mean MAXIMUM, not minimum --- that whole English to Metric conversion always screws me up! :P

As for the 1,000 limit, I was just throwing that out.....500, 1000, 2000, whatever, just something under 26,000!! :P

I like the short/long overlap idea where the short one might be a "scene" and the long might be more of a "story"

Admin, can we do? If so, then, what are the topics du jour? Let's hear some suggestions

LF

We've hardly stopped typing for Workshop 1.4 and ALREADY Lfan wants to talk about 1.5! I can almost hear the sound of a whip cracking (which is fine if it's being cracked by Mrs. Cf., but significantly less so when it's Lfan.)

I like the idea of a shorter piece - Lfan did you mean minimum 1000 words (as you typed) or maximum? Maybe we should set a range, say 500-1500. Anything that gets more people involved is great. We could make it a single scene: Transformation, Origin, Discovery or a particular scenario - solving a problem with superpowers, the use of specific powers etc. etc.

I also like the competitions overlapping idea. We could do a "short" workshop every 2 months and a long one every 4, but I agree with Lfan. I tend to do everything when the deadline looms - no matter if I'd had 2 months or 2 days or 2 years... But we could set Workshops 1.5 (a very short one with 2 month deadline) and 1.6 (longer - 4 months) at the same time. (Admin - is this possible?)

What's depressing is anticipating entries from great genre writers who say they're in and then they're not. If doing single-scene stories ("vignettes" sounds too much like a salad dressing...) and having longer deadlines fixes this, then I'm all for it.

What does everyone else think?

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jul 2005 14:44 #1697 by marknew742
For the short, short story, here are a few ideas:

Superwoman shows a man what real strength is.

Superwoman gets annoyed and "acts out."

Superwoman confronts a reluctant lover.

Superwoman confronts an unfaithful lover.

A cocky adversary thinks his weapon can stop a superwoman. She shows him what she thinks of his idea.

A man is proud of some accomplishment. A superwoman is patronizingly supportive.

More
07 Jul 2005 14:46 #1698 by marknew742
For the longer story, here's an idea I've been thinking about:

"Uh oh, my wife/girlfriend/lover has just become super!"

More
07 Jul 2005 14:55 #1699 by lfan
Excellent ones, Mark....Methinks, the weapon one I'm sure would be popular due to the proclivity toward ubergirl invulnerability around these parts (parts = the site!).

Also, like the previous suggested idea of best origin/transformation. Often, I wrestle with "how" to empower the girl and have used:

Magical Transfer (Zupergirl)
Potions (Formula 149)
Lightning (Superjen)
Ray/Radiation (Lara)

I really admire when someone pulls off something original. Could be a neat challenge thinking up something new. Of course, the old favorites are still pretty good too! :)

LF

For the short, short story, here are a few ideas:

Superwoman shows a man what real strength is.

Superwoman gets annoyed and "acts out."

Superwoman confronts a reluctant lover.

Superwoman confronts an unfaithful lover.

A cocky adversary thinks his weapon can stop a superwoman. She shows him what she thinks of his idea.

A man is proud of some accomplishment. A superwoman is patronizingly supportive.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jul 2005 15:25 #1700 by argonaut

For the longer story, here's an idea I've been thinking about:

"Uh oh, my wife/girlfriend/lover has just become super!"

I like it -- in fact, I have an outline for such a story in my ever-growing notebook of story ideas -- but would it have to be "Uh oh"?

More
07 Jul 2005 15:36 #1701 by marknew742
How about "Oh, ...."

More
07 Jul 2005 17:34 #1704 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions

Admin, can we do?

Yes.

admin

More
07 Jul 2005 23:39 #1709 by somat
Replied by somat on topic suggestion
Hello, I've not posted very much here and haven't participated in any of the workshops up to now, but let me make my suggestion for the next one:

"Conspiracy against ubergirl", the bad guys are uniting themselves and looking for a way to get her out of the way.

This makes way for some highly charged/suspenseful scenes/situations as the ubergirl of the writers choices would have to prove, and defend herself against some bad and powerful enemies.

It's not all that new, but hey, it has a classic touch to it and also there is the "boom bang" factor which I really love!

greetings

somat

More
08 Jul 2005 14:05 #1718 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
So, it seems we're looking for themes for a "full-length" workshop and for a "short" workshop.

For the longer one, I like Mark's idea, but would suggest a slight loosening of the topic to make it more flexible.... How about: "Someone's wife/girlfriend/lover becomes super."

I also think somat is on to something. "Ubergirl vs. Conspiracy" is full of potential. I mean, it doesn't have to be about bad guys plotting against a superheroine... it could be good guys plotting against a supervillainess, right?

For the shorter (single scene) workshop, I like:

"The moment a girl becomes an ubergirl" This would be an origin/transformation/transfer scene. It'd be great to read people's original ideas for powering up...

Then there's "Superwoman shows a man what real strength is." and "Superwoman confronts an unfaithful lover." both of which offers plenty of scope for fempower. Of course, the second has the added spice of the girl being less than happy with her lover...

"Superwoman confronts a reluctant lover." So many ways folks could take this. Does she make him fall in love with her inner "good girl" beauty? Seduce him with her superhuman allure and body? Does she take advantage of her superior strength at any point?

Possibly my favourite short scene suggestion so far, though has to be: "A cocky adversary thinks his weapon can stop a superwoman. She shows him what she thinks of his idea." I'd like to see it in more generic terms like: "Someone has a weapon they think can stop a superwoman." Then it's up to the writers how cocky or not the individual/organisation with the weapon is, and also how successful the weapon is (or isn't.)

Overall, anything that gets as many people involved as possible has to be good.

More
09 Jul 2005 12:10 #1725 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions

So, it seems we're looking for themes for a "full-length" workshop and for a "short" workshop.

I also think somat is on to something. "Ubergirl vs. Conspiracy" is full of potential. I mean, it doesn't have to be about bad guys plotting against a superheroine... it could be good guys plotting against a supervillainess, right?

Yes conceptfan you can put it in any way you want to, but my idea, of course was to let the bad guys, go against the "good" ubergirl, somewhat giving her a real challenge, putting something against her, she cannot defeat that easily,
something that at least temporarily defeats, her a theme full of suspense and tension, as the reader isn't so sure about how the story will actually end!

The writer can decide if she makes it or not, the only real condition, would be that her enemies(regardless if she's good or bad, or whatever), would be almost if not completly even with her when it comes to powers, this could be expressed in any way the author, wants to put it- pure physical strengh, as well as "magic", telekinetics, anything which comes, to his(hers) mind!

More
09 Jul 2005 15:44 #1726 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
I've got another topic suggestion. All the stories around here generally focus on women with pretty much the same powers - super-strength, invulnerability, super-speed, super-senses, super-breath, flying. In other words, the old Kryptonian standards. Because of this, stories in which the ubergirl has other powers that aren't usually seen have a tendency to stand out in the crowd.

So how about a workshop with the topic of superwomen with unusual powers? I think this would work better with full length stories, rather than the shorter "scene" type of thing that we're thinking about doing this time around, so maybe file this one away for later.

Just a thought,

YAGS

More
11 Jul 2005 22:37 #1738 by batteries
Replied by batteries on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
Just a thought but why not have a little fun with the next workshop? Why not expand on the winners story! Use the next workshop to write a follow on everone uses the winners story and then wrights the next few chapters. Just a thought!

More
12 Jul 2005 01:03 #1739 by argonaut
Interesting idea, batteries -- but I suspect that most of the workshop writers (maybe all of them) have plans for sequels of their own.

Any writer who wants to continue an established story might consider adding a chapter to one of the interactive stories on this forum ...

More
12 Jul 2005 01:06 #1740 by argonaut
Suggestion for a short-scene workshop:

Ubergirl withstands/overcomes powerful force of nature (avalanche, volcano, thunderstorm, typhoon ... )

More
18 Jul 2005 23:29 #1797 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Re: SGI Workshop 1.5 Topic Suggestions
My idea for a theme is superwomen being rescued. Not only would this require a different approach, it could also include a wide range of stories, including not only physical rescuing but being saved from a disease or mutation (maybe how they get their powers) and even emotional rescuing (such as in Tammi by Sean Porter)

More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds