Amount

SGI Short Workshop 2.1

21 Jul 2005 16:03 #1829 by lfan
SGI Short Workshop 2.1 was created by lfan
Sorry guys, sleeping at the wheel.....for the short story topic, I'm gonna choose "PO'ed Superwoman gets back at her Ex" (in honor of Ms Thurman being cast in Super Ex)

Kind of a variation on a couple of great suggestions. Mark, I think the Oh No III visuals near the end inspired this topic, so go to town.

Guidelines: Story has to be 1000 words or less and on-topic. That it.....

OK, get to work!

LF

Well, Larafan, how about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Jul 2005 05:48 #1838 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I like both topics.

Hmmmm. What guy would dare be an "ex" to an ubergirl? Or was she uber before she was "ex"? And is she a good "uber" or an evil one?

And, most importantly, just how big are her breasts?

More
22 Jul 2005 06:00 #1839 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Does the "ex" have to be from a long term relationship? Can the "ex" be an "ex" after a few dates? :?

More
22 Jul 2005 10:11 #1843 by marknew742
Speaking only for myself, I would say any ex will do.

More
22 Jul 2005 10:37 #1844 by somat
Replied by somat on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1

And, most importantly, just how big are her breasts?

Okay I understand the ironic side of that sentence, but nevertheless, I want to write a story which is all about that thing, and I just hope that it will turn out good!

somat

More
27 Jul 2005 06:34 #1925 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Workshop 2.1 Short Story Topic

Sorry guys, sleeping at the wheel.....for the short story topic, I'm gonna choose "PO'ed Superwoman gets back at her Ex" (in honor of Ms Thurman being cast in Super Ex)

Kind of a variation on a couple of great suggestions. Mark, I think the Oh No III visuals near the end inspired this topic, so go to town.

OK, get to work!

LF

Ok, I thought about it. I came up with my idea. I started writing. And I'm already finding the 1000 word limitation to be too limiting. Can I suggest increasing it a bit? Perhaps 2000 or 2500?

YAGS

More
28 Jul 2005 06:52 #1929 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: Workshop 2.1 Short Story Topic

OK, get to work!

LF

Ok, I thought about it. I came up with my idea. I started writing. And I'm already finding the 1000 word limitation to be too limiting. Can I suggest increasing it a bit? Perhaps 2000 or 2500?

YAGS

No opinions on the 1000 word limit? I really do think it's too limiting. Seeing as how I'm already at 550 words, and I know that I still have a lot to write, I think even a 2000 word limit might be tough for me. I've pretty much already decided to ignore the word limit and just write my story, and if it turns out to be too long than this story just won't be submitted to the workshop.

On another note regarding the short story workshop, I'm laying claim to the title "A Superwoman Scorned" now. The rest of you can fight for the right to the title "Hell Hath No Fury". ;)

YAGS

More
29 Jul 2005 16:00 #1951 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1

No opinions on the 1000 word limit?

I think it should be binding - max. 1000 words. Isn't that the point of keepinig the "short" workshops separate from the "long" ones?

But the final say on the matter has to be Lfan's...

admin.

More
30 Jul 2005 02:36 #1962 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Word count opinion

No opinions on the 1000 word limit?

I think it should be binding - max. 1000 words. Isn't that the point of keepinig the "short" workshops separate from the "long" ones?

But the final say on the matter has to be Lfan's...

admin.

I wasn't saying to eliminate the word limit altogether, just to make it longer. My suggestion was to raise the limit to 2000 or 2500 words. That way, it's less restrictive. After all, the point is to get people to write more stories, and coming up with restrictions that make it too hard on the writers could undermine that.

In this case specifically, my story is already over 1000 words, and I'm only about halfway done. I'm sure I could keep it under 2000, but limiting it to 1000 would seriously cut into the content.

YAGS

More
03 Aug 2005 22:36 #1995 by marknew742
How are you folks doing with the short topic? I've got a draft written, tentatively called "The Pick-Up."

Other than doing the plot, the fun part is making it fit. Thanks to Bill Gates for the word count feature.

Mark

More
03 Aug 2005 23:01 #1996 by ultragirl
Actually, the short one is going fine! 1000 words will be tough, but a challenge is good. I'm hoping to give some of you some chills... :twisted:

More
04 Aug 2005 00:48 #1998 by MackTheMouse2
Replied by MackTheMouse2 on topic Short workshop- "ex"
Can the girl be dumped, and then later become an ubergirl & seek revenge, or is the theme that an ubergirl gets dumped...?

I think I can do under 1000 words if I can start the girl out w/o powers.

(You'd have to be crazy, or think you could get away, or be an uber-guy to dump an ubergirl, IMO)

More
04 Aug 2005 03:59 #1999 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: Short workshop- "ex"
As long as it has an ubergirl in it, I think the author has carte blanche.....as for the word limit, let's try to enforce the 1000 word limit -- that's what makes the challenge.

If you have to go over, but all means it can go up in the storybank --- def will not be discarded!

LF

Can the girl be dumped, and then later become an ubergirl & seek revenge, or is the theme that an ubergirl gets dumped...?

I think I can do under 1000 words if I can start the girl out w/o powers.

(You'd have to be crazy, or think you could get away, or be an uber-guy to dump an ubergirl, IMO)

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
09 Aug 2005 13:51 #2033 by admin
SGInc Short (1000 words) Story Workshop 2.1

Topic: "PO'ed Superwoman gets back at her Ex"

Deadline: 18th August 2005 (just over a week away...)

So, who's in?

admin

More
09 Aug 2005 22:34 #2041 by ultragirl
I'm trying!!! :P

More
09 Aug 2005 22:48 #2042 by marknew742
It's just about done and it's still fun.

More
09 Aug 2005 23:37 #2044 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Sorry, I'm out -- unless inspiration strikes in the next few days.

My "ubergirl vs weapon" story is coming along nicely, however -- it should be in on time and under budget.

More
10 Aug 2005 03:25 #2053 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Not me
My story is done, but it's over 1800 words. I tried trimming it down by playing with the wording and removing some minor content, but I realized I couldn't get it below 1300-1400 words without cutting down the good parts, and I'm unwilling to do that. I figure I'll sit out the workshop, then submit my story to the archive after the voting is over.

YAGS

More
10 Aug 2005 11:21 #2058 by admin
YAGS, submit the story at 1400 words for the poll.

admin.

More
10 Aug 2005 14:33 #2060 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I have about 1000 words left, but I'm in!!!

LF

admin.

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 Aug 2005 21:44 #2069 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I'm at 1041 and the guy and the Uberbabe have just met!
1000 words is not very much. I will be lucky to get mine in under 3000

I still look at this as something to do and have fun at, so it won't bother me if I am disqalified and lose my shot at the million dollar purse!

More
11 Aug 2005 00:53 #2073 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1

admin.

Nah, I don't want to break the rules. I'll submit it for posting with the rest of the workshop stories, but keep me out of the voting, since my story doesn't qualify. I wouldn't want to steal the glory from anyone who painstakingly edited their story to make sure it came in under 1000. :P

Besides, if I'm going to be over the word count, I'd rather add back in some of the stuff that I had removed. The slightly longer version has a few extra details that add texture to the story, so I prefer it that way. I'll finish editing it by this weekend and submit it.

Maybe when this workshop is over, we can have a poll to see if I'm the only one wants to raise the maximum word length. My vote is raise it to 2000 or 2500, so it's still short, but not quite as limiting.

YAGS

More
11 Aug 2005 03:11 #2081 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I'm with you. Maybe in the future, a 3000 or less story for the short, and unlimited on the long.

I have come up with a few clever ideas to skirt the rules. Start like they do on TV and "recap" prior episodes or do the George Lucas thing and
tag a "prequil" at the end of you 1000 words.

Like my dad always used to say, 538 guys making up the rules, 200 million looking for ways around them. Guess who will win most of the time!

More
12 Aug 2005 13:53 #2090 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
OK, I Just talked to admin and found out only one incomplete story has been submitted for the "short story" deadline due next week. While some might be working on it, lemme take the opportunity to basically express my frustrations and vent a little.

I really enjoy the "I'm so busy" excuse....in fact, I use it often! But, c'mon....this is a mere 1000 words! Haven't started yet? Well, here's a little secret.....I write most of mine two days before the deadline because I procrastinate! Well, strike that "here's a secret" part, its prob pretty evident in reading them that I wait and rush at the last minute! :P

Not inspired by the topic? Well, only way to pick and control your own inspirational topic is to win one of the workshops (or bribe the winner)....

So lemme take this opportunity to publicly solicit some stories from lurkers:

Lojack, it's 1000 words!!! Your dream concept of the basic plot with none of the fat! Your IM'ed ideas are over 1000 words sometimes! Take the plunge!

Dru, what happened? You left us hanging with the last contest! You should know how much people dig your stuff round these parts! Give us a treat!

Anterion....you retired? Hope the graphical concentrations of late haven't shelved your pen! How bout an encore of Ultrafemme, Carrier or Sebia???

Murdough.....long time no hear! Know you are still around....

Yosh? Well, breaktime is over! The community needs to hear how Serena is doing. In lieu of that, a 1000 word ditty will do!

Bully_pup.....yeah, you too! Nice try, having the world think you only took pics of hot girls! But your game is over! I read the script of your new project and know you can write too -- expecially in this genre!

VE/White Paw....loved and hated by countless, but undoubtedly gifted with the pen! Saw you just registered and look forward to you participating.....

UG....saw you are working on one....remember, you owe me a favor! :P

AU....in my travels through that universe, I've seen 'other SG writers' referred to as 'hacks'....dunno if you meant this community, but time to put $$$ where mouth is!

DKC...story lost in the mail? :P

OK....I'm done! Countless more I could think of, but I gotta get back to work! And does everyone else --- with submitting their stories!!!!

Peace
LF

I'm with you. Maybe in the future, a 3000 or less story for the short, and unlimited on the long.

I have come up with a few clever ideas to skirt the rules. Start like they do on TV and "recap" prior episodes or do the George Lucas thing and
tag a "prequil" at the end of you 1000 words.

Like my dad always used to say, 538 guys making up the rules, 200 million looking for ways around them. Guess who will win most of the time!

• lfan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Aug 2005 13:57 #2092 by ultragirl
Yeah, yeah, I got your story! 8)

More
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds