Amount

SGI Short Workshop 2.1

10 Aug 2005 21:44 #2069 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I'm at 1041 and the guy and the Uberbabe have just met!
1000 words is not very much. I will be lucky to get mine in under 3000

I still look at this as something to do and have fun at, so it won't bother me if I am disqalified and lose my shot at the million dollar purse!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2005 00:53 #2073 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1

YAGS, submit the story at 1400 words for the poll.

admin.

Nah, I don't want to break the rules. I'll submit it for posting with the rest of the workshop stories, but keep me out of the voting, since my story doesn't qualify. I wouldn't want to steal the glory from anyone who painstakingly edited their story to make sure it came in under 1000. :P

Besides, if I'm going to be over the word count, I'd rather add back in some of the stuff that I had removed. The slightly longer version has a few extra details that add texture to the story, so I prefer it that way. I'll finish editing it by this weekend and submit it.

Maybe when this workshop is over, we can have a poll to see if I'm the only one wants to raise the maximum word length. My vote is raise it to 2000 or 2500, so it's still short, but not quite as limiting.

YAGS

More
11 Aug 2005 03:11 #2081 by ace191
I'm with you. Maybe in the future, a 3000 or less story for the short, and unlimited on the long.

I have come up with a few clever ideas to skirt the rules. Start like they do on TV and "recap" prior episodes or do the George Lucas thing and
tag a "prequil" at the end of you 1000 words.

Like my dad always used to say, 538 guys making up the rules, 200 million looking for ways around them. Guess who will win most of the time!

More
12 Aug 2005 13:53 #2090 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
OK, I Just talked to admin and found out only one incomplete story has been submitted for the "short story" deadline due next week. While some might be working on it, lemme take the opportunity to basically express my frustrations and vent a little.

I really enjoy the "I'm so busy" excuse....in fact, I use it often! But, c'mon....this is a mere 1000 words! Haven't started yet? Well, here's a little secret.....I write most of mine two days before the deadline because I procrastinate! Well, strike that "here's a secret" part, its prob pretty evident in reading them that I wait and rush at the last minute! :P

Not inspired by the topic? Well, only way to pick and control your own inspirational topic is to win one of the workshops (or bribe the winner)....

So lemme take this opportunity to publicly solicit some stories from lurkers:

Lojack, it's 1000 words!!! Your dream concept of the basic plot with none of the fat! Your IM'ed ideas are over 1000 words sometimes! Take the plunge!

Dru, what happened? You left us hanging with the last contest! You should know how much people dig your stuff round these parts! Give us a treat!

Anterion....you retired? Hope the graphical concentrations of late haven't shelved your pen! How bout an encore of Ultrafemme, Carrier or Sebia???

Murdough.....long time no hear! Know you are still around....

Yosh? Well, breaktime is over! The community needs to hear how Serena is doing. In lieu of that, a 1000 word ditty will do!

Bully_pup.....yeah, you too! Nice try, having the world think you only took pics of hot girls! But your game is over! I read the script of your new project and know you can write too -- expecially in this genre!

VE/White Paw....loved and hated by countless, but undoubtedly gifted with the pen! Saw you just registered and look forward to you participating.....

UG....saw you are working on one....remember, you owe me a favor! :P

AU....in my travels through that universe, I've seen 'other SG writers' referred to as 'hacks'....dunno if you meant this community, but time to put $$$ where mouth is!

DKC...story lost in the mail? :P

OK....I'm done! Countless more I could think of, but I gotta get back to work! And does everyone else --- with submitting their stories!!!!

Peace
LF

I'm with you. Maybe in the future, a 3000 or less story for the short, and unlimited on the long.

I have come up with a few clever ideas to skirt the rules. Start like they do on TV and "recap" prior episodes or do the George Lucas thing and
tag a "prequil" at the end of you 1000 words.

Like my dad always used to say, 538 guys making up the rules, 200 million looking for ways around them. Guess who will win most of the time!

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Aug 2005 13:57 #2092 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Yeah, yeah, I got your story! 8)

More
12 Aug 2005 14:18 #2093 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
For the record, Lfan's appeal above is just a couple of syllables shy of 400 words. :wink:

admin.

More
12 Aug 2005 15:21 #2095 by lojack
Replied by lojack on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
But a plot isn't a story! :P I had an idea or two for it, but nothing that isn't too similar I realized to some other stuff I've seen, and I don't want to make a near copy of someone else's story, even unintentionally. If I can think of something, you'll know!

More
12 Aug 2005 23:36 #2096 by mikeyfreedom
Replied by mikeyfreedom on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I think I'll use this topic to enter my first workshop.....got a little idea in my head.

More
13 Aug 2005 02:56 #2101 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Prrrr. Who....me? Write? Again?
Can trade ya a picture for your 1000 words?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ok, ok, ok...I'll think 'bout tit.
er...'it'.
:oops:

More
13 Aug 2005 04:41 #2107 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1

I think I'll use this topic to enter my first workshop.....got a little idea in my head.

Great! :) And please -- let's have another chapter of "Bolt from the Blue"!

More
14 Aug 2005 09:40 #2116 by WhitePaw
Alright, this is not to win anything, or impress anybody. This is just a workshop piece in humble hopes of a few pointers about how to improve my writing.

I now have a new story in exactly 1000 words ready now about a power girl miffed and going vengeful on an 'ex', as per your request.

Where would you like it...exactly?

:?:

More
14 Aug 2005 15:59 #2119 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
You're playing too? Oh I give up. :cry:

(Email it to the admin.)

More
14 Aug 2005 21:13 #2120 by WhitePaw

You're playing too? Oh I give up. :cry:

(Email it to the admin.)

Um....let's review: "...Not to win anything or impress anybody..." If this is a contest of any kind: I withdraw from the judging. I'm just looking for a few good writing tips is all, especially from the folks who lfan sez hate my work. I'd humbly like to know what I could do better for them and I'm eager to learn from their wisdom.

Yeah, I've changed. A year of heartfelt CoH knocked the chip off my shoulder, and the whole 'extreme comics' movement afoot nowadays has humbled me greatly as an artist. I'm much more like the lives-to-serve "Clawshard" now than the spitfire "Pawscythe" I started with (if ya've met either in-game).

I'll e-mail mine in on the deadline to avoid distorting anything if this is a contest. Thanks for the instructions, UG, and please take courage and finish your entry to this endeavor. I wasn't going to read or critique anybody else's, but I'd at least like to read yours.

And the rest of you: write on.

Wuv,
-White Paw.

More
14 Aug 2005 21:20 #2121 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Hey, WP and UG, this is a friendly competition. We're all writing the best stories we can. There's no harm in losing, and nothing but the honor of picking the next topic in winning. The best part is creating stories around a theme we all like and then sharing comments afterwards.

So please, the more entrants the better.

More
15 Aug 2005 00:24 #2122 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Well said, Mark....

LF

Hey, WP and UG, this is a friendly competition. We're all writing the best stories we can. There's no harm in losing, and nothing but the honor of picking the next topic in winning. The best part is creating stories around a theme we all like and then sharing comments afterwards.

So please, the more entrants the better.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Aug 2005 04:52 #2123 by WhitePaw
Very well, ladies and gentlemen. I will enter the event, and endeavor to compose a second entry by the deadline if it will help your noble efforts.

Write on.

Love,
White Paw

More
16 Aug 2005 11:03 #2136 by admin
SGI "Short" (1,000 words) Workshop 2.1

Deadline: this Thursday, August 18th 2005

Just 2 days to go, folks!

admin.

More
17 Aug 2005 04:00 #2139 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic My submission
Well, I hate to sound wishy washy, but I changed my mind about the name of my story. Anyone wanting to use "A Superwoman Scorned", it's fair game. :) After finishing, I changed my title to something more specific to the content.

Anyway, I'm done. My story's around 1750 words, so I'd like to be left out of the voting. As I said, it wouldn't be fair to those who follow the rules. But I still want to know what everyone thinks once they've read it, especially since it's the first story I've completed, after starting several.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's stories,

YAGS

More
17 Aug 2005 17:09 #2141 by admin
OK, with a little over twenty-four hours remaining, not all the promised entries have been received...

The official deadline is: 11:59pm on Thursday, 18th August 2005

email your entries to: webmaster@superwomenmania.com

admin.

More
17 Aug 2005 17:35 #2142 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
Is that GMT?

More
17 Aug 2005 17:38 #2143 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
We're on BST, Arg. Five hours ahead of you.

I don't know about admin, but if you're five hours late, I'd wait around.

Mark

More
17 Aug 2005 20:55 #2146 by mikeyfreedom
Replied by mikeyfreedom on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1
I know....i've went through two story arc ideas in my head, plsu i'm now working fulltime which is a pain in the arse....i didn't post the rest of emergence because i've grown to hate it...i'll reformat it anyway and send it in to finish it off though. As for this workshop....i'm going to finish it tonight hopefully...if not, then tomorrow morning.

More
18 Aug 2005 07:14 #2149 by ace191
Almost done. Just need to read it a few more times to get the typos out and correct a couple of things. Will finish after work tomorrow. I should be able to have it submitted by 0500 Zulu Friday am. I will be a lot closer on the time than the word count (just under 3400).

More
18 Aug 2005 10:51 #2150 by admin

Is that GMT?

I deliberately left off the time zone for vagueness!

Let's say 11:59PM Thursday in Honolulu (i.e. GMT-10)

admin.

More
18 Aug 2005 10:55 #2151 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGI Short Workshop 2.1

0500 Zulu Friday

"Zulus, sir! Thousands of 'em!" (One for the movie buffs - there's a clue in there somewhere...)

Why don't we create a new Time Zone for these workshops. We could combine GMT with PST to make "PMT". No-one would dare piss about with that.

More
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds