Amount

SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!

24 Dec 2005 08:56 #3932 by admin
SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on! was created by admin
Announcing the SGInc Story Workshop 1.7

Topic (as chosen by Helix111, author of the most popular entry to SGInc Workshop 1.6) : Sibling Rivalry
Word Limit: None
Deadline for entries: 28th February 2006

On your marks... Go!

admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
03 Jan 2006 01:33 #3987 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Okay, I realize this may be premature ... but I'd like to suggest that whoever gets to pick the theme for the next workshop [1.8] might consider letting it be wide open.

One author I correspond with feels that the workshops are diverting some established writers from their personal projects; and another tells me he'll be sitting out the next few workshops so that he can work on a saga he started way back when.

My idea is that established writers would be encouraged to work on their own projects. Conceptfan could write the next chapter of "Empress Ria" or "Milena's Diary"; Ultragirl could continue her "Walking Tall" story; Ace could finish "Turnabout is Fair Play," etc. Or you could write that story you've had in mind for months now, but that hasn't "fit" any of the workshop themes.

And as an incentive for first-time writers to take the plunge, maybe "freshman stories" ONLY could be listed in the poll. (Although I'm impressed at the quality of many of the stories submitted by new writers over the past year -- and at how well many of them have done in the polls!)

What do other SWManiacs think?

More
03 Jan 2006 12:00 #3989 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
I agree with Argo's sentiments but not his suggestions.

I enjoy writing stories to the topic suggestions. Sure, sometimes it involves twisting things a bit, but that is part of the fun of assignments and limitations on form. And yes, it does distract me from my other projects, but when those projects (or real life) are too pressing, I will sacrifice a workshop or too. That's my choice.

Also, I'm all for encouraging new writers. I try to do it in my reviews of the workshops. But part of the fun for me is voting and being voted on. I'd be a bit less likely to participate without the competition part of it.

So although I'm all for innovations (and I think the 1,000 word story was a great innovation) I'm against these suggestions.

More
07 Jan 2006 11:53 #4044 by helix111
Replied by helix111 on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
I think having a wide open workshop defeats the point of the workshops. If writers don't want to enter so they can concentrate on other projects, then that's quite alright.

As for attracting new authors, I can think of two reasons why they may be discouraged.

Firstly, the competition. "When there are so many good writers out there, what chance have I got of winning?" :(

Secondly, the formats are difficult. The 1.x workshop entries can be massive, and well beyond a first time writer's abilities. The 2.x workshops are , IMO, more difficult due to the tight word limit.

If we really want to attract new writers, I think we should reconsider the "Newbie Workshop" that I proposed a couple of months ago:

1. New writers only. Would probably need to refine this rule slightly so that a "new writer" is someone who has entered no more than 3 previous workshops.

2. Moderate word limit. About 5000 words prevents epic entries but it not as restrictive as the short-story workshop.

3. Flexible but definite themes. So new writers have some guidance but don't feel like they're in a straight-jacket.

Anyway, that my 2 cents

More
07 Jan 2006 23:54 #4048 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
I think the voting in recent workshops has shown that "newbies" can more than hold their own again "more established" writers. :)

More
08 Jan 2006 01:38 #4050 by argonaut
Thank you! That's what I keep saying! :roll:

More
30 Jan 2006 11:06 #4307 by helix111
Replied by helix111 on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Anyway, is anyone else going to write something for this? I've just started an entry, but given the deadlines in a month, it'll have to be a short offering. What about other people?

More
30 Jan 2006 16:42 #4309 by argonaut
I've got a story outlined, a couple of scenes written. February will be a busy month for me, but i'll try to have the story ready by the deadline.

More
30 Jan 2006 21:59 #4311 by xoronewithnature
Replied by xoronewithnature on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
I've got about 7000 words I could turn in and call done. Maybe in the next month it'll grow a little more...

More
31 Jan 2006 17:49 #4326 by julievelor
Replied by julievelor on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Does it really have to be siblings? I've got some stuff involving a pair of cousins. Not to mention some mother/daughter stuff.

More
27 Feb 2006 15:33 #4672 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Head count? Deadline is tomorrow officially, so who's in? AK, sorry for the delayed response, but if it means another story, I'm sure no one would object to "cousin rivalry" (if if they do, tough!)

I plan to probably rehash a collaborative story for the workshop...who else?

LF

Does it really have to be siblings? I've got some stuff involving a pair of cousins. Not to mention some mother/daughter stuff.

More
27 Feb 2006 15:36 #4673 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Not me this time. Too busy. But I promise to read and comment. Good luck all.

More
27 Feb 2006 16:46 #4676 by argonaut
Me, too. :( But I'll try to submit a short "off topic" story later this week.

More
27 Feb 2006 17:30 #4681 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Marknew, Argo. Shame on you!! How could you not take part? How do you guys even sleep at night?
Oh, and, um, I'm going to sit this one out too. Sorry. :(

More
27 Feb 2006 18:16 #4683 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Well, I'm in. But only because of a typo. Or maybe it was a Freudian slip.

Velvet had checked out of a review of a futuristic romance in which Australia is once again a penal colony. Only the review called in a "penile colony."

Naturally, I thought of Franz Kafka's horror story. "In the Penal Colony." And when I glanced at the first line of that story -- "It's quite a remarkable piece of apparatus" -- I realized that the reference to a bizarre execution device could have an entirely different meaning in a story called "In the Penile Colony."

Besides providing somethiing for the workshop, it serves a few additional functions, such as bad double-entendres and in jokes, a veiled alllusion to Cordwainer Smith. and making Aram Khachaturian as well as Kafka spin in his grave.

More
27 Feb 2006 20:22 #4686 by argonaut

Oh, and, um, I'm going to sit this one out too. Sorry. :(

's okay, conceptfan. I doubt that your record of participating in nine consecutive workshops will ever be broken.

You're forgiven -- as long as you've been using the time to update "Empress Ria" ... or "Milena's Diary" ... or "The Super Models" ...

More
27 Feb 2006 21:07 #4688 by WhitePaw
Replied by WhitePaw on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Alright, fine. I'm WAY out of my weight class here. But I'll wrap up an entry by tomorrow--even if just to make y'all long-story bruisers look good. Say 30 to 50 thousand words be enough?

Do the siblings have to be related? I'll just leave that one open: won't say if they are or aren't. They'll share a couple'a bedrooms between the four of 'em--all I'll say.

Wuv,
-White Paw

"Playing ball with your friend goes better when you use a ball."

More
28 Feb 2006 01:41 #4690 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Well, things have been a little up in the air around here lately, but I did get the XMAS tree down Saturday. The weather hasn’t been cooperating either as it was a sunny 82 degrees at my house on Saturday.

I haven’t been a total goof-off this month as I have 2/3 of Chapter 11 of Turnabout completed. Will try to push the bills and tax forms off the scanner and submit another update to Ace’s Place.

I do have a story plotted for the upcoming short contest and I will get back in the game at that time.

More
28 Feb 2006 05:55 #4694 by WhitePaw
<Splork!>

Ok, that's one WHALE hauled in for ya: 75 pages, (33 thousand words and then some if you think I'm padding double space on ya), all in to Addy by the deadline, all steaming fresh since the kickoff of the workshop and re-edited for SWM.

Hope you're hungry. Who's bringing the side dishes? :P

Yeah yeah, I know. It ain't 50,000 words, but I've a rep to keep as a SHORT story writer. Gotta keep it tight. :roll:

See you at the judges table.

Bring a bib.

Wuv,
-White Paw

More
28 Feb 2006 06:08 #4695 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
I'm out. No surprise there, since I haven't actually entered a workshop yet. At least I did write one story that's posted in the SWM archive, so I'm not a complete slacker.

I'm surprised at how many of the "regulars" are sitting this one out, actually. If I had another month, I'd love to jump into this theme. There are plenty of possibilities there.

I do seem to have the writing bug again, for now, anyway. Just this week, I finally finished the first story I ever started writing, after nearly 2 years. It's not superwoman themed, though, so don't get excited, unless you're into the giantess theme, also.

So now that I'm feeling motivated about writing, and that project's behind me, I'm ready to start writing something new. I'll think about workshop 2.4's theme. If I can't come up with anything, maybe I'll wait and see what the theme is for workshop 1.8.

YAGS

More
28 Feb 2006 07:02 #4696 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!

So now that I'm feeling motivated about writing, and that project's behind me, I'm ready to start writing something new. I'll think about workshop 2.4's theme. If I can't come up with anything, maybe I'll wait and see what the theme is for workshop 1.8.

YAGS

Well, that was a mistake. You guys got me thinking, just as I went to bed, about what I could write for workshop 2.4. As soon as I came up with an idea, I had to get out of bed and start writing. I was already up late, and now it's an hour later.

Going to work tomorrow is gonna suck. On the up side, I've got a start for a story for workshop 2.4.

YAGS

More
28 Feb 2006 07:28 #4697 by WhitePaw
I suppose winning by default is still winning, but it don't feel the same.

Anybody?

Sigh.
-WP.

More
28 Feb 2006 11:56 #4700 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Three entries received so far so we have a convoy, er, contest! This is normally the time we receive mass appeals for a deadline extension. Are there any stragglers needing "just a few more minutes/hours/days"?

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Feb 2006 13:51 #4704 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Had a little technical mishap last night -- I'd appreciate any extension so I can clean it up.

OK, there, I said it!

LF

Three entries received so far so we have a convoy, er, contest! This is normally the time we receive mass appeals for a deadline extension. Are there any stragglers needing "just a few more minutes/hours/days"?

More
28 Feb 2006 13:52 #4705 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 1.7 now on!
Only three?

Maybe everybody was watching the sexy skaters at the Olympics. I know I was -- but I managed to crank out a story just the same.

Velvet already submitted a story for Workshop 2.4, and that doesn't close for another month. This one's been open for -- well, quite a while.

More
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds