Amount

SGI "short" Story Workshop 2.4 Topic Suggestions

11 Jan 2006 12:22 #4102 by admin
It's Argonaut's choice, but what would other members like to see as the topic for the next 1,000 word limit workshop?

admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Jan 2006 00:46 #4110 by argonaut
To get things rolling, let me recycle some old suggestions:

1. Super-woman uses her powers (secretly or openly) "on the job."

2. Super-woman changes from secret identity to super identity (or vice versa).

3. "Oops!" Super-woman causes destruction through careless / inexperienced use of her powers.

4. "I Wish She Were Super" -- a "short" featuring a real-life celebrity as a super-woman.

Or, with Valentine's Day approaching, how about "super-girl's romantic evening"?

I want to choose a theme that will inspire lots of entries, so let me know what you think.

More
12 Jan 2006 06:44 #4113 by WhitePaw
Oh don't be all boring:

An ubergirl meets to negotiate on behalf of Earth with an invading alien army.

An ubergirl meets to negotiate with Earth AS the invading alien army.

Let's get nuts:

Sensless acts of random kitten rescues.

Kitten acts of random senseless rescues.

Open bar at the death/cage mach karioke night--with Klingons.
...and a tribble chaser. <tip'o'd'hat 2 a certain "slave" :P....>

The "ubergirl valentine's day lottery"....whatever you decide THAT means...

"My worst date EVER!"

Sumptin JUICY this time, or switch to WB, K?

Wuv,
-White Paw

More
12 Jan 2006 12:04 #4116 by argonaut
How about "ubergirl Valentine's Day massacre"?

More
12 Jan 2006 12:29 #4119 by conceptfan

How about "ubergirl Valentine's Day massacre"?

I, er, have a story with more-or-less that title in note-form on my hard-drive already, waiting for the right moment (mid Feb). Romance is all about timing, after all.

I quite like "Sensless acts of random kitten rescues". I'm envisaging a story where all the cats are saved bar one with a snow-coloured foot which gets caught in a threshing machine outside a Korean restaurant that's next door to a violin factory.

Anything that doesn't involve, refer to, or have anything to do with a television programme would be cool by me.

More
12 Jan 2006 13:29 #4120 by brantley

Oh don't be all boring:

An ubergirl meets to negotiate on behalf of Earth with an invading alien army.

An ubergirl meets to negotiate with Earth AS the invading alien army.

Let's get nuts:

Sensless acts of random kitten rescues.

Kitten acts of random senseless rescues.

Open bar at the death/cage mach karioke night--with Klingons.
...and a tribble chaser. <tip'o'd'hat 2 a certain "slave" :P....>

The "ubergirl valentine's day lottery"....whatever you decide THAT means...

"My worst date EVER!"

Sumptin JUICY this time, or switch to WB, K?

Wuv,
-White Paw

Kittens could be kintzi sex kittens.
Or how about some hot sex with your kitty superheroine? Imagine how her soft fur and her prehensxile tail would feel. Lust, lust!

"Whatever that means?" What could the prize in an ubergirl Valrntine's lottery be BUT a night with her?

Would be pretty hard to fit the invading army scenario into 1,000 words, I think.

My worst date ever? Ultragirl and Blogger!

More
12 Jan 2006 14:01 #4121 by marknew742
I'm against anything furry or animal related.

I'm not too keen on celebrities or armies either.

As for the other ideas,

Some potential here and quite open to different ideas depending on type of job and how powers are used. My only reservation is we could get a lot of trivial expressions of powers. "Hmmm, my pencil's getting dull. I can sharpen it with my super-hard fingernails. Hope no one sees."

Good for a scene and some very sensual description. Not much action or plot though.

3. "Oops!" Super-woman causes destruction through careless / inexperienced use of her powers.

I like the idea of a careless or inexperienced (or better yet reckless) supergirl.

"There's that dreamy Brent again. I just have to see if he's wearing the briefs I gave him. What he doesn't know won't -- Oh no! I meant to use my X-ray vision, not my heat vision!

Gulp!

Sigh.

He wasn't wearing them anyway!

I wonder if he has a brother."

4. "I Wish She Were Super" -- a "short" featuring a real-life celebrity as a super-woman.

I'm not keen on celebrity parodies.

Or, with Valentine's Day approaching, how about "super-girl's romantic evening"?

Again, much room for different ideas. Her expectations for the evening may be very different from his.

"I was thinking of a large bowl of popcorn and a video."

A flash of heat vision and that option is no longer possible. In another blink ....

"Tahiti? AGAIN?!!"

"The rings of Saturn ARE more romantic, darling, but, no offense, you wouldn't last very long in orbit there." Kiss, kiss. Pause. Kiss. Pause. Sigh. "Don't tell me you're feeling inadequate again!"

More
12 Jan 2006 16:10 #4122 by WhitePaw
Aw, Brantley, you cutie :)

This cute, furry animal thinks Marknew's got one foot in ABC Family channel w/ all that dumb supergirl sharpening pencils nonsense, and one foot in this genre soooo 10 years ago with the rest of it.

Can we do something other than the things every new author writes about? Can we do something new and original, perhaps something other than the newbie ubergirl zappy puppy crushes we've all read about a bazillion times by now?

Just a thought.

Thanks!

Wuv,
-White Paw

More
12 Jan 2006 16:24 #4123 by WhitePaw
Invading army in 1000 words?

Read my quips. I just did it in 5. Gimmie a thousand and we'll see about a bit more cataclysm. :twisted:

Besides, I didn't say 'fight', I said 'negotiate'...whatever you decide THAT means (personally, I was thinking something along the lines of the opening to the recent run of Battlestar Galactica...remote outpost...diplomatic relations stalled...in walks..).

Valentine's Day bloodbath? How droll. Can we get over the blood-n-guts slaughter aspect of this whole genre, please? It's just so...unladylike. I ain't sayin don't kill nobody, but Hitchcock it people, Hitchcock it. It hits so much harder when its cut scenes and off camera. If you make us stare at it in full smellovision we get numb to the impact in about 1 scene.

Thanks!

Love,
-White Paw.

More
12 Jan 2006 16:27 #4124 by conceptfan

Can we do something other than the things every new author writes about?

How about: "Ubergirl kills cat (slowly)" ?

More
12 Jan 2006 17:14 #4125 by marknew742

This cute, furry animal thinks Marknew's got one foot in ABC Family channel w/ all that dumb supergirl sharpening pencils nonsense

Clearly the parody was lost on the cat.

and one foot in this genre soooo 10 years ago with the rest of it.

Oh dear oh dear! And I thought WP was just pussyfooting around. He's really serious this time.

More
12 Jan 2006 19:21 #4126 by brad328
I like the superwoman using her powers on the job idea and the superwoman changes from secret identity to super identity.

More
13 Jan 2006 00:17 #4131 by YAGS
My favorite suggestion so far is actually the Ubergirl Valentine's Day Lottery. I think everyone's assuming that it would mean a lottery to win a date with a superheroine, but there's lots of room for creativity, and it doesn't necessarily have to be romantic. Maybe a bunch of ubergirls have a lottery to see who wins something, and some of them use their powers to try and cheat the random result. Or I can just picture ConceptFan's entry: "You lost the lottery, so you shall now be sacrificed to the goddess." "NO!!!!!".

YAGS

More
13 Jan 2006 00:30 #4132 by argonaut

Some potential here and quite open to different ideas depending on type of job and how powers are used. My only reservation is we could get a lot of trivial expressions of powers. "Hmmm, my pencil's getting dull. I can sharpen it with my super-hard fingernails. Hope no one sees."

Okay, but if we're going to eliminate a theme just because an uninspired writer might make a dull story out of it ...

Good for a scene and some very sensual description. Not much action or plot though.

It was WhitePaw's "Dropping By" that made me wonder whether there might be some potential in this chestnut. As for plots -- Jane Doe reveals uber-identity to paramour / spouse ... or to would-be burglar / kidnapper ... or finds way to change discreetly in public setting ... or decides to reveal identity to the world ...

And Mark -- weren't you the one who said that scenes, not stories, are what we should aim for in these "short" workshops?

I like the idea of a careless or inexperienced (or better yet reckless) supergirl.

Reckless, okay. I'd draw the line at deliberate malice, though -- if only to provide a little challenge for conceptfan.

I'm not keen on celebrity parodies.

Actually, I find I'm not as keen on this idea as I was (presumably) when I first suggested it.

Again, much room for different ideas. Her expectations for the evening may be very different from his.

I'm definitely inclining toward this one. Writers would be allowed -- nay, encouraged -- to interpret "romantic" as loosely as they please. So it could include anything from a sappy-sweet story about Super Susie's senior prom to a down 'n' dirty description of how Lorren celebrates Valentine's Day with her playthings ...

More
13 Jan 2006 00:44 #4133 by argonaut

Valentine's Day bloodbath? How droll. Can we get over the blood-n-guts slaughter aspect of this whole genre, please? It's just so...unladylike. I ain't sayin don't kill nobody, but Hitchcock it people, Hitchcock it. It hits so much harder when its cut scenes and off camera. If you make us stare at it in full smellovision we get numb to the impact in about 1 scene.

My "Valentine's Day massacre" suggestion was a jocular play on words. Shoulda put in a winky-face.

Agree with your point, however.

More
13 Jan 2006 01:20 #4134 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus
Replied by Ordo Cabaal Templarus on topic Re: SGI "short" Story Workshop 2.4 Topic Suggestions
1. The revealing of a non-human *appearing* supergirl. I"m not talking about merely animal anthromorphs, I'm talking about dragons, elves, aliens, werewolves, hybrids (I.E. Mutio from Blue Sub 6.) , and other exotic girls, good or ill.

2. An Ubergirl finishes or fails to convert a enemy to her side.

3. I like WhitePaw's idea of a ubergirl acting as a diplomat for or to invaders... That's what my Revelations might be about... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4. An enemy of an Ubergirl sends her a gift for valentines day, and/or vice versa...

• Ordo Cabaal Templarus
More
13 Jan 2006 02:12 #4136 by WhitePaw
Don't bother w/ the cat jokes boyz. My first car's first bumper stiker: "Missing your cat? Check under my tires." Truth. I know more and worse cat jokes than you do. And yes, I've some experience with those sorts of recipies (I won't say on which side of the kitchen door).

Anywho: how'bout an open topic, but make 'Valentine's Day' the secret ingredient, ala Iron Chef style?

Simple. Done.

Wuv,
-White Paw

More
13 Jan 2006 08:56 #4141 by marknew742

Okay, but if we're going to eliminate a theme just because an uninspired writer might make a dull story out of it ...

Not at all. That was just an example of a story I'd rather not read. :)

And Mark -- weren't you the one who said that scenes, not stories, are what we should aim for in these "short" workshops?

Absolutely. My other point was that the scene should suggest a story beyond the scene. The two go together. I've got an idea for the secret identity change so I'm fine with this one too.

More
13 Jan 2006 12:51 #4142 by mikeyfreedom
Replied by mikeyfreedom on topic Some more ideas
Few ideas that popped into my head

Two rescues, one heroine. (Can she do both...or will she choose?)

Heroine gets caught up in a dangerous situation, but can't change into her super-identity. (Not to say she can't eventually, but initially it should be impossible)

Mars Attacks! (Alien invasion, and only a superwoman can stop it...actually that's more of a long story one)

Undercover Hero (Heroine who for whatever reason is working in disguise)

Point of Origin (As it sounds...the moment a women becomes super)

Two Minute Warning (A bomb is going to go off in two minutes, can our heroine find it in time?)

PS I apologise for not submitting a story this time..i did submit my old super-rescue story that i did last year(1500 words so it wouldn't have counted)

More
16 Jan 2006 13:18 #4164 by brantley
Here's hoping we get an entry from Xoronewithnature. I posted his "Wannabe Heroes" at The Bright Empire the other day, and here's the first reaction from Ed Howdershelt:

Date: Sun Jan 15, 2006  2:33 am
Subject: Re: Wannabe Heroes, Terrific Writer at TBE auwg
Send Email
Remove Author | Ban Author

--- In Aurora_Universe_Readers@yahoogroups.com, "Brantley"
<btelkins2000@y...> wrote:
> Maybe you've never heard of Xoronewithnature.
> story called "Wannabe Heroes"
> when I read it I thought: "Wow!"

Agreed.
Good story, well written, and would make a great series.
Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
www.AbintraPress.com
My Fictionwise Ratings: tinyurl.com/26v45

Check out:

brightempire.com/wannabe.htm

More
16 Jan 2006 13:42 #4165 by admin
Argonaut has made his choice.

The theme for the SGInc "Short" (1000 word limit) Story Workshop 2.4 is:

"Ubergirl's Romantic Evening."

A story describing a date, a tryst, a night out, a cozy evening at home, a chance encounter, or a casual hook-up with an ubergirl.

The deadline will be Friday 24th March 2006.

admin.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds