Amount

SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments

13 Nov 2006 13:02 #7332 by admin
There were 4 entries to the Supergirls Incorporated Short Story Workshop 2.6. The theme was "Ubergirl accidentally causes destruction through inexperienced misuse of her powers". The maximum permitted length for entries was 1,000 words.

A big "thank you" goes to the four authors who submitted their work. Read the stories in the SWM StoryBank: www.superwomenmania.com/storybank/index-d.html and then vote for your favourite and post comments on the entries in this thread.

As usual, the poll will run for 7 days and the author of the most popular story will get to nominate the topic for Workshop 2.7.

admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 Nov 2006 05:25 #7341 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments
I voted for Kylie's Kalamity by Lfan. Kylie's Kalamity comes close to a fantasy of mine. The super woman tries to do good, but the lawyers get hold of her and sue the crap out of her, so she stops helping people because she never knows when she'll be sewed. How does a super hero decide who to save, I can just see the discrimination law suits now. I dun know thats what Lfan's story reminded of, so I voted for it.

More
15 Nov 2006 23:39 #7343 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments
I don't know if I can vote ~ they were all so good this time around... Hard to pick.

Kylie's Kalamity
Love the imagery ~ just the kind of story to tickle everyone’s fancy. I love the description of her inhaling stretching the fabric etc etc...

Be Careful Where You Point That Thing
Love the heat vision with her accidentally blasting into the concrete. Well written "sudden powers story"

A Super Tight Schedule
One of my favorite superhero/villain things is the crash into a building and cause it to start to buckle. This was just about perfect ~ uses heat vision to fix ~ oh yea.

21st Century Magic: The Unintentional Supergirl (Chapter 1)
We all wish ~ don't we... Love the accidental blasts of superbreath and power. I can't wait to see where Chapter II goes. “Does the ‘S’ stand out enough?" What a line.

These shorts are always my favorite…

More
16 Nov 2006 12:07 #7346 by compy
The sudden discovery of superpowers is really the kind of story I'm fond of.
Plus it is very well written considering the short lentgh.

I am not that surprised to read such a good story coming from conceptfan, which has always been one of my favorite writters.

I'd be really delighted to read some further chapters to this short, with Amanda chasing Jason (if he is not dead yet from the impact in the wall...) making a hell of his life.
And what about discovering some other new powers (very good idea this telekinetic green beam !!!), maybe some body alteration ability, or mind control power... ?

More
16 Nov 2006 20:06 #7349 by lfan
Wow! It's a horserace....nice to see all the stories drawing in some subset of the population (22) of the readers here. Well done, all!!

ElF (voted for Berkhart)

More
17 Nov 2006 03:54 #7354 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments
Another nice batch of stories. Four different approaches to the theme, each with something to enjoy.

In no particular order:

YAGS: Loved the scenario. Enjoyed Tina's displays of super-powers and her surprised reactions. But -- you established that Jim is occasionally abusive. I was expecting at least a hint of "payback" or "table turning" to come.

Conceptfan: Girl gains super-powers ... four casualties ensue within the first couple of minutes -- that's gotta be a record even for one of your stories! Another nice "sudden acquistion of power" story, although your gift for characterization isn't as evident here.

Lfan: Vivid description of Kylie's use of super-breath and its disastrous effects was the standout feature here. The somber ending lessened my enjoyment a bit -- it gave the story more emotional weight than its brief length could carry. IMO, a lighter tone is best for these 1,000-word stories.

Berkhart: Got my vote, largely on account of your very original heroine. I've supplemented my income over the past five years as a math tutor, so I've gotten to know a few multi-tasking, resume-padding over-achievers like Tawny. I got a chuckle out of the notion that one of them might embark on a career as a super-heroine because it'd look impressive on her college application. (And you and I seem to share a predilection for petite super-women!)

As always, a vote of thanks to all the writers for their time and effort. Much appreciated!

More
17 Nov 2006 03:57 #7355 by argonaut

I voted for Kylie's Kalamity by Lfan. Kylie's Kalamity comes close to a fantasy of mine. The super woman tries to do good, but the lawyers get hold of her and sue the crap out of her, so she stops helping people because she never knows when she'll be sewed. How does a super hero decide who to save, I can just see the discrimination law suits now. I dun know thats what Lfan's story reminded of, so I voted for it.

Have you seen The Incredibles, Grayface?

More
17 Nov 2006 13:02 #7358 by YAGS

YAGS: Loved the scenario. Enjoyed Tina's displays of super-powers and her surprised reactions. But -- you established that Jim is occasionally abusive. I was expecting at least a hint of "payback" or "table turning" to come.

This is just chapter 1. Tina's very blonde, so her mind just doesn't go there right away. :P She'll get there eventually, if I ever continue the story.

I've been too busy to even think about writing for the last few months, though. I haven't even gotten around to reading the rest of the stories in this workshop yet, though I will definitely make time to do so over the weekend, so I can vote before it's over.

Actually, I'm surprised that my story got any votes. I wrote this back when I first started writing, before any of the other stuff I've posted here, and I feel like I've improved quite a bit since then. So I personally think this is my worst story that I've shared on SWM. I never shared it earlier because I was hoping to write a few more chapters first, but it went well with this workshop theme, so here it is.

YAGS

More
17 Nov 2006 15:25 #7359 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments

No.

More
17 Nov 2006 17:46 #7360 by argonaut

No.

You should check it out sometime. At the begiining of the movie, all of the "supers" in the U.S. have quit being heroes and gone into something like a witness-protection program on account of being sued left and right. (The main character, Mr. Incredible, is sued by a would-be suicide whose life he saved.)

More
17 Nov 2006 22:34 #7363 by Berkhart
Replied by Berkhart on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments
Glad you liked the story Argonaut.

Yeah, I am a big fan of petite super women. Something very alluring about a slender girl looking so demure and harmless. But, then she flashes you a smug little smirk, and compacts your car into a 5 inch square cube.

By the way, loved the other three stores submitted. Especially liked lfan's description of the destruction super breath can cause...good stuff!

More
18 Nov 2006 13:15 #7364 by lfan
Thanks for the props, Berkhart! As I said, I dug yours too and voted for it! How's Ayami III coming?? :) <ribpoke>

ElF

By the way, loved the other three stores submitted. Especially liked lfan's description of the destruction super breath can cause...good stuff!

More
19 Nov 2006 14:55 #7366 by YAGS
I finally got around to reading them all and voting. I have to agree with Argonaut on most of them.

Lfan's story was a little too somber for my tastes, though good overall.

Berkhart's superheroine was unusual and realistic, but I think the action seemed a little rushed. A lot of things happened for such a short story, so there just wasn't enough time to focus on each thing.

As Argonaut said, ConceptFan's story wasn't quite as detailed as he's usually known for, probably because of the short word limitation, but I liked the action, so he got my vote.

I went back and re-read my own story, too. I honestly don't understand why I've gotten so many votes, given the quality of the competition. This is definitely a "setup" chapter that will lead to bigger and better things later, if I ever have time to start writing again and the motivation to work on this particular story. But it's going to be at least a couple of months before I have the time to write again, and I have other stories that are higher priority to work on, in my mind, so don't hold your breath waiting for chapter 2 of this one.

YAGS

More
20 Nov 2006 18:55 #7367 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments
I voted for Berkhart's. Don't have time to give a bunch of details as to why... but I just liked his main character & think there was a unique element to the story. Good work, m'man.

More
21 Nov 2006 19:40 #7379 by lfan
Yosh, I'm revoking your posting privileges until you get back to writing! Sorry, it calls for desperate measures! :P

ElF

I voted for Berkhart's. Don't have time to give a bunch of details as to why... but I just liked his main character & think there was a unique element to the story. Good work, m'man.

More
22 Nov 2006 02:19 #7386 by YAGS
So if the vote only ran for 7 days, then I guess it's over. Congratulations, ConceptFan!

YAGS

More
09 Dec 2006 17:54 #7561 by argonaut
Yes -- so what's the theme for Workshop 2.7?

More
19 Dec 2006 05:07 #7681 by YAGS
You realize it's been almost a month since this vote ended, and we haven't even started discussing topics for the next workshop? Anyone out there?

YAGS

More
22 Dec 2006 11:40 #7711 by admin
OK, OK!! Apologies for the slow response...

Belated congratulations to Conceptfan whose entry got the most votes. Thanks also to Lfan, YAGS and Berkhart for their excellent submissions.

In accordance with the SGInc Story Workshop tradition, Conceptfan has won the right to chose the theme for SGInc "Short" Story Workshop 2.7.

Please note:

Due to a (relatively) low-volume response to Workshops 2.5 and 2.6, we've decided to hold off on 2.7 for a little while. The "unlimited" length workshop 1.10 is currently open and we'd love as many writers as possible to contribute to that. That plan is to follow 1.10 immediately with 1.11 and maybe to run 2.7 after 1.11 closes. We'll run the usual "topic suggestions for 2.7" thread nearer the time to guage opinions then.

admin.

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
22 Dec 2006 13:34 #7712 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments
Guess the theme of the next workshop will be torture!

More
22 Dec 2006 13:45 #7714 by YAGS

Do you mean it's torture having to wait so long, or is that a reference to CF's taste in uberwomen?

Actually, that seems like the type of thing that might work in a short story workshop. The bad girl fans could describe in detail how the girls torture their prey, and the good girl fans could describe a scene where Supergirl rescues a torture victim or escapes torture by a bad guy. 1000 words would be just right for that type of short scene, either way. The more I think about, the more surprised I am that this workshop theme hasn't been suggested before. I like it. :P

YAGS

More
22 Dec 2006 18:00 #7720 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Re: SGInc Story Workshop 2.6 Poll and Comments

It wasn't on the previous occasions when I got to nominate... Although, if lazy pigeon-holing makes you happy, don't let me stop you.

Merry Christmas, Brantley, btw.

More
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds