Amount

At The Bright Empire....

16 Jun 2018 17:39 #59886 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic At The Bright Empire....
And as long as you have the credentials (aka password) to the domain registration for brightempire.com, and it's not expired, then you can move that domain to any other server. Your readers will never know it moved. 

I don't remember how to do any of this stuff, but obviously, from the comments, others do. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
16 Jun 2018 23:22 #59891 by cbaby
Replied by cbaby on topic At The Bright Empire....
If everything is linked from the home page it should be possible to rip everything using a program  like httrack.  You'll only get a static site out of it though.

More
17 Jun 2018 11:36 #59900 by HendrixLives
Replied by HendrixLives on topic At The Bright Empire....
Hi Brantley- I can upload a copy of your site to my one (and then remove it). I don't want to do this without your approval - it is your copyright etc. If you give me the okay, I can put it up, post the website address, and then take it down. Hopefully, it will mean in the meantime you are comfortable that you won't have lost too much if you switch over to a new host. CBaby is right that the resulting site is static (ie individual pages of content are each uploaded, rather than effectively a database which generates pages) but this may have been how you were doing it anyway, and I don't think it is a significant disadvantage for creative sites that don't have 1000s of pages (if it wasn't for the comments section, I would recommend SWM run a static site).

More
17 Jun 2018 12:30 #59901 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic At The Bright Empire....
Shadar wrote: "And as long as you have the credentials (aka password) to the domain registration for brightempire.com, and it's not expired, then you can move that domain to any other server. Your readers will never know it moved." 

But you actually set up the domain. If you gave me a password for the registration, I can't remember it.

--Brantley

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jun 2018 12:32 #59902 by brantley

HendrixLives wrote: Hi Brantley- I can upload a copy of your site to my one (and then remove it). I don't want to do this without your approval - it is your copyright etc. If you give me the okay, I can put it up, post the website address, and then take it down. Hopefully, it will mean in the meantime you are comfortable that you won't have lost too much if you switch over to a new host. CBaby is right that the resulting site is static (ie individual pages of content are each uploaded, rather than effectively a database which generates pages) but this may have been how you were doing it anyway, and I don't think it is a significant disadvantage for creative sites that don't have 1000s of pages (if it wasn't for the comments section, I would recommend SWM run a static site).

The problem isn't access, but the fact that the tools for editing the site are obsolete.

--Brantley

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Jun 2018 17:10 #59906 by shadar

brantley wrote: Shadar wrote: "And as long as you have the credentials (aka password) to the domain registration for brightempire.com, and it's not expired, then you can move that domain to any other server. Your readers will never know it moved." 

But you actually set up the domain. If you gave me a password for the registration, I can't remember it.

--Brantley

I didn’t recall that I’d done that. I wouldn’t have a clue to password, email address or even what name I used. Heck, that was 15 years ago or whatever. Looks like you need a new domain. Bummer.

Shadar

• shadar
More
17 Jun 2018 17:50 #59907 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic At The Bright Empire....
Try to do the forget password.  If there was a security question set and you know the answer, maybe it can be recovered.

More
18 Jun 2018 14:40 - 18 Jun 2018 15:55 #59917 by brantley
The security question would have been on the dead computer. No such code access to the site needed to view the site on other computers, where it appears as display only..

--Brantley
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 15:55 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jun 2018 17:14 - 20 Jun 2018 17:16 #59935 by brantley

fats wrote: I can build you a site, all you would need to do is populate it with content and host it on a decent host, tell me what you need and I can get it done.

Fats

I'm ready with new material. including a story I just finished and text (which I can update further) for the home page, About page and What's New page. More could follow. So what's the drill? I host an archive site at iPage, so I guess I could contact them to set up a new site.

--Brantley
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 17:16 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jun 2018 20:43 #59938 by fats
Replied by fats on topic At The Bright Empire....
If anyone has anything that they have for BE or any other content for this site please email it to me at fats@superwomenmania.com I'll try to get it developed over the next 2 months.

If anyone has a site back up or images or text files please send them to me.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Jun 2018 22:35 #59939 by brantley

fats wrote: If anyone has anything that they have for BE or any other content for this site please email it to me at fats@superwomenmania.com I'll try to get it developed over the next 2 months.

If anyone has a site back up or images or text files please send them to me.

Fats

Are you saying the entire old site could be recreated from archives? Hostway told me that couldn't be done because the editing tools and internal links were based on obsolete software that came with the Power Book G4 it was created on.

--Brantley

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Jun 2018 22:39 #59940 by fats
Replied by fats on topic At The Bright Empire....
it could be done, but I would need EVERYTHING, all pics, text files and HTML files, the lot.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 Jun 2018 23:32 - 21 Jun 2018 00:53 #59941 by brantley
I've finished Book Three of Empress of the Dawn, after coming up with a new way to wrap it up – with the focus not on The Battle of the Triple Moons itself (short, and utterly decisive), but with how Kalla and her Space Force allies plan it out to get the job done, and how the people of Andros react afterwards. It ends with an allusion to Book One. I'd been struggling for months about how to do it right, and inspiration came just a few days ago.
But there's no longer a Bright Empire site I can post the short novel on, and I gather from Fats here at SWM that it could take a couple of months to create one – or recreate the old one, if that's at all possible. For those of you who are members of the Aurora Universe Readers Group, the illustrated PDF version is available under Files there (Empress-3.pdf). There are so many pictures that it may be impractical to submit them for insertion in a posting here at SWM over the weekend.

Hope you all get to see it, one way or anofher, And happy Summer Solstiice (It's summer in more than half the world now)!

--Brantley Thompson Elkins
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 00:53 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Jun 2018 15:34 - 02 Jul 2018 03:53 #59986 by brantley
My abject apologies to Woodclaw!

I see that Parts 1 and 2 of Empress of the Dawn III are already posted in the Library section here. I'd misunderstood some correspondence with him last week, about how the novel as a whole was far too large for the Library and could only be put up in parts; I didn't realize that he was in fact doing that instead of just suggesting it; I'd sent him a docx version as an alternative to the huge pdf, with suggested pix to insert, but hadn't heard back after that. 

Because Sunday is supposed the proper day for story uploads, I hadn't been looking for the docx version, with or without pix,to appear until some time today. But in fact Woodclaw had put up Part 1 Wednesday and Part 2 yesterday; (Views thus far are 270 and 66, respectively – far more, I'm sure, than downloads of the pdf file at AURG), Part 3 was posted by title rather than author; you can find it here:

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...-part-3-4&Itemid=228.

Again, my profound apologies to our librarian.

--Brantley
Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 03:53 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jun 2018 16:15 #60018 by brantley
Thanks to links at Empress 3 here, the first two books in the series are doing well -- 186 hits just yesterday for Empress-1 and 61 for Empress-2. And they'd been getting a lot of hits for at least two days before that. First two parts of Empress-3 have generated more traffic sooner than previous updates at brightempire.com. Thanks to all you fans, and to Woodclaw.--Brantley

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Jul 2018 19:36 - 01 Jul 2018 19:39 #60058 by brantley
Part Three has been up for a week, but there was a glitch in the link that left it out of my list of stories in the Library. Woodclaw fixed it today. I see that it's gotten more than 300 hits just the same.

--Brantley
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 19:39 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Jul 2018 04:00 - 03 Jul 2018 12:51 #60059 by brantley
The Yahoo Aurora Universe Group seems to have ceased functioning. Can't put up new posts and neither can anyone else.

But way back in 2007, because of a seeming threat to that AURG group, some of us set up al alternative group at Google. Few joined, and there was little activity. But maybe Aurora Universe fans should migrate there now:

groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/aurora_universe_readers

--Brantley
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 12:51 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Jul 2018 23:17 #60131 by alternate_histories
Replied by alternate_histories on topic At The Bright Empire....
After missing the announcement that this was up, I'm slowly reading through it.
I like chapter 1; it's nice to see Kalla doing some more traditional superheroing... though I have to wonder where she puts all that equipment, including a spinal brace when she's travelling; does she have a backpack?

• alternate_histories
More
03 Nov 2018 12:31 - 03 Nov 2018 12:35 #61865 by brantley
Nothing new in the works, but on Hallo'ween, the original Empress pf the Dawn topped 14,000 hits. Still thinking about First Protector III...

Hey, and it's my birthday today. Just hit 77, but nowhere near Sunset Strip!

Last edit: 03 Nov 2018 12:35 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Nov 2018 15:47 #61867 by shadar

brantley wrote: Nothing new in the works, but on Hallo'ween, the original Empress pf the Dawn topped 14,000 hits. Still thinking about First Protector III...

Hey, and it's my birthday today. Just hit 77, but nowhere near Sunset Strip!

Happy Birthday... and to my astonishment, I actually remember that old TV show. Dragnet started first, but it was devoid of anything remotely sexy. But when 77 Sunset Boulevard came along, it was steamy and sexy and exotic, at least for the late 50’s and from my perspective living in a small town in the Midwest. 

It planted the seed in my brain that LA was both exotic and dangerous and filled with beautiful women waiting to be saved my the good guys. Who unlike in Dragnet, were more than eager to enjoy the rewards of their good deeds. We’d say they were womanizers today, but it wasn’t until the James Bond movies were firmly established as a cultural force that I heard that term used.

We’re getting old, Brantley. But still kicking a little.

shadar

• shadar
More
04 Nov 2018 10:25 #61875 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic At The Bright Empire....
Happy Birthday Brantley.

More
21 Oct 2019 23:56 - 21 Oct 2019 23:57 #65353 by brantley
aurorawritersgroup.tripod.com/

Just noticed that ALL the links at the AUWG page are dead now, even those that should be live (as with infinitybridhe.net as well as my own site). Must be at Tripod's end. Maybe the "dead" sites that are still live could be given links here. Can't update links at Bright Empire because the site has been frozen since March 2018.

--Brantley
Last edit: 21 Oct 2019 23:57 by brantley.

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2020 11:49 #66869 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic At The Bright Empire....
Excuse me, Mr. Brantley, where I can find your novel "COUNTDOWN TO HISTORY". Thank you.

• guimachajo1
  • Away
More
22 Feb 2020 13:49 #66894 by brantley
Never got around to finishing it, and haven't done any new AU fiction since my website froze two years ago.  There doesn't seem to be much interest in my version of the AU any more. As you know, Shadar has a new take on it in Kiraling.

--Brantley
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

• brantley
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Feb 2020 15:15 #66895 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic At The Bright Empire....
I have followed your stories for years and I love them. especially related to new iberia or alisa stories.When your website was frozen, it was like a catastrophe, because there are stories that when you are incomplete you feel orphaned.
and what I want to know if it's hung somewhere. Your story will watch in World War 2.
ah, what about Ben Shaffer from Scrunbes Golden planet such conquered me in such a way that I would not know what to say or do if it happened to me.

Sometimes I can think of new story lines or stories of what would happen if ... and it makes me want to send private messages, to you or the creator of all this, but for that reason and because they can be considered silly I don't do it, Not to bother him.I hope one day to read new stories or new chapters of the incomplete stories of your website.
Thank you for answering Mr. Brantley.

• guimachajo1
  • Away
More
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds