Amount

Sunshine Tomorrow -- new Supergirl story

12 Oct 2011 00:10 #25005 by shadar
I've posted a new contemporary, alternate-universe Supergirl story to the AU.

Inspired by the relaunch of the Supergirl comic, I've decided present another concept for a relaunch.

Its for mature audiences, and has some imbedded photo enhances, as well as links to high-Q images at the end. But its the story that I'm most happy with.

velorian.net/sunshine/sunshine_tomorrow.pdf

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, dave147, Grayface, somat, kobarsos, Ravens_ghost, fats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
14 Oct 2011 01:30 #25033 by shadar
I've posted a new version of the story...if you read the original, the changes aren't worth a re-read, but if you haven't read it, it will make Kara's story about growing up and cruising around with her boyfriend in a homemade space ship more fun. I expanded slightly on that a bit and got them to Mars, with most of the detail describing the ship in more detail.

Not sure how many folks are into this story and my concept of how to relaunch Supergirl, but if there's interest, it might be fun to write a story in this same continuum to describe life growing up in the Jeppesen family, from age 14 to 18, and the story of she and her high school boyfriend and their adventures in their homemade space ship.

Let me know...

Shadar

• shadar
More
14 Oct 2011 01:40 #25034 by somat
I let you know..

Every kind of continuation is appreciated, but from past experiences scepticism overwhelms optimism!

Thomas

More
14 Oct 2011 02:50 #25035 by shadar
So you are saying that you'd like to see it, but don't think I'll actually write it? With that kind of encouragement, you're probably right.

somat wrote: I let you know..

Every kind of continuation is appreciated, but from past experiences scepticism overwhelms optimism!

Thomas

The following user(s) said Thank You: jnw550

• shadar
More
14 Oct 2011 03:01 #25036 by lfan
LOL

More
14 Oct 2011 04:53 #25038 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Re: Sunshine Tomorrow -- new Supergirl story
In all seriousness, I'd love to see a continuation of this piece.

More
14 Oct 2011 07:43 #25039 by somat
You will do as you wish to do that is what I truly wanted to express. I haven't read this one fully yet, that remains to be done. If you post a few continuations the motiviation from my side to read your story fully will increase a lot. B)

feel free to continue or discontinue like you always have done..

Thomas

More
14 Oct 2011 07:49 #25041 by lfan
(wondering if I close this thread for the good of the community. :laugh: )

More
14 Oct 2011 08:02 #25042 by kshoo
I actually like it enough to be pining for a continuation. It has enough of the current reboot, as well as some mixture of the previous characteristics that we've come to expect from the super-powerful Kryptonian blonde.
Then again, with the setting already in the future, not sure how far you're going to take it Shadar. Perhaps throw in an Elseworld SG costume sometime forward too? :)

More
14 Oct 2011 09:26 #25043 by somat
I want to speak out again and emphasize that I really didn't mean to throw anything which could be interpreted negatively in anyones direction. If these appears to have happened I strongly beg your pardon! :(

Tom

More
14 Oct 2011 13:54 #25047 by shadar
The first part of the story was a concept piece...the relaunch if you will. Just to see if the story floated, and if my re-interpretation of Kara was interesting to the audience here.

I'm not trying to emulate the current comic book (other than the concept of a re-launch) or duplicate aspects of any old versions of Kara. (Although, of course, I'm very influenced by those and am using Lynda Danvers name instead of Linda Danvers.)

At this point, I can both go forward with 18 year old Kara, the founder of Sunshine Tomorrow, and Lynda Danvers, a reporter, or I can go back and show some of her family life and life in that small town while growing up (ages 14 to 17 or so -- Kal introduced her at the UN right after she graduated high school at 17).

I'm leaning toward going back and picking up the story when she's 16 and focus on an adventure with her high school boy friend and their home-made space ship (the big tin can...Kara is obviously the engine). If the story and character are hanging together and still interesting after that, then I can decide to either fill in the gap from 16 to 18, or pick up where the opening concept piece left off.

I can obviously tell a more adult-oriented story by going forward.

Shadar

kshoo wrote: I actually like it enough to be pining for a continuation. It has enough of the current reboot, as well as some mixture of the previous characteristics that we've come to expect from the super-powerful Kryptonian blonde.
Then again, with the setting already in the future, not sure how far you're going to take it Shadar. Perhaps throw in an Elseworld SG costume sometime forward too? :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
More
14 Oct 2011 14:10 #25049 by yohashuan
Replied by yohashuan on topic Re: Sunshine Tomorrow -- new Supergirl story
I love it. I don't want to gush, but your writing is very much my favorite. Thx!

More
15 Oct 2011 06:01 #25060 by shadar
I'm back underway with the continuation (actually a prequel) for the story. It opes with Kara and her two "brothers" and her adoptive parents near the end of her Junior year in high school.

From there we get to meet Kara's boyfriend.

On that note, I'm not sure what you guys think of this, but I'm also introducing Caitlan Fairchild (of Gen13) as Superman's girlfriend. Lois Lane has been killed and Kal El refused to get involved with a woman who is fragile. Caitlan is the next best thing to Kryptonian in power and invulnerability (although WW fans might debate that).

I'm not sure how well Caitlan will fit into the narrative, but you can tell me if it works or doesn't went I get done. I've wanted to write about Caitlan as a character for some time. I'm setting her age somewhere in her late twenties. And, of course, given I'm writing for a mature audience, she's a pretty zesty lady.

In any case, she's a secondary character, Superman's girlfriend, and given Kara doesn't get along with her cousin, that makes for some interesting dynamics between Kara and Caitlan. Or so I hope.

Shadar

• shadar
More
15 Oct 2011 06:04 #25061 by shadar
Just to give you a clue where I'm going with Caitlan (or wet your appetite), here's the picture I'm using to depict red-headed Caitlan in her late 20's...Superman's new super-girlfriend.

She's grown up just a bit!!

velorian.net/caitlan05_jc.jpg

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, kobarsos, Ravens_ghost

• shadar
More
15 Oct 2011 10:37 #25062 by ong76win2
Replied by ong76win2 on topic Re: Sunshine Tomorrow -- new Supergirl story
I am interested. :-)

More
15 Oct 2011 10:45 - 15 Oct 2011 10:46 #25063 by ong76win2
Replied by ong76win2 on topic Re: Sunshine Tomorrow -- new Supergirl story

shadar wrote: I've posted a new version of the story...if you read the original, the changes aren't worth a re-read, but if you haven't read it, it will make Kara's story about growing up and cruising around with her boyfriend in a homemade space ship more fun. I expanded slightly on that a bit and got them to Mars, with most of the detail describing the ship in more detail.

Not sure how many folks are into this story and my concept of how to relaunch Supergirl, but if there's interest, it might be fun to write a story in this same continuum to describe life growing up in the Jeppesen family, from age 14 to 18, and the story of she and her high school boyfriend and their adventures in their homemade space ship.

Let me know...

Shadar

I am interested to read your stories. :-)
Last edit: 15 Oct 2011 10:46 by ong76win2.

More
19 Oct 2011 23:18 #25105 by shadar
A teaser to the Prequel I'm writing to Sunshine Tomorrow.

While Sunshine Tomorrow showed Kara at both age 14 and also a more mature 18, my next episode to this story is a Prequel (not titled yet) that picks up her life at 16 and goes forward.

Here's the first chapter of the prequel, as a teaser to what's coming:

velorian.net/prequel_teaser.pdf

Hope you like the direction I'm going in. As I mentioned in Sunshine Tomorrow, there are a lot of untold stories in the Jeppesen household, as well as from her high school days.

And its fun to imagine growing up with an adoptive sister like Kara.

Shadar

• shadar
More
20 Oct 2011 00:04 #25106 by jnw550
Excellent work Shadar. I wish I had half the writing talent you have.

More
20 Oct 2011 07:52 #25122 by kshoo
Looks promising Shadar! and for some reason, it reminded me about your older "Growing up Super" series...

More
20 Oct 2011 08:32 #25123 by shadar
No surprise, I guess. I haven't looked at that old story for nearly a decade, but there are only so many story arcs in my head. Hopefully this take will be better. And, of course, the premise is slightly different, as is the setting.

Now, back to trying to do something I like with Caitlan Fairchild. She's proving a challenge, showing her as older and Supe's girlfriend, but also with a crime-fighting identity and presence of her own, devoid of Gen13 influences. Of course, given she's older, late 20's, hers is a very adult portrayal.

Shadar

kshoo wrote: Looks promising Shadar! and for some reason, it reminded me about your older "Growing up Super" series...

• shadar
More
29 Oct 2011 05:00 #25191 by shadar
OK...here's the completed Part 2 of Sunshine Tomorrow, titled A Little Flying. Five chapters. Hope you enjoy.

I'll send a copy over to Fats later for posting in the PDF area, but you can pull it now from my webpage.

I'm introducing Caitlan Fairchild in this part, and developing Kara and Jason's relationship.

velorian.net/sunshine/sunshine_tomorrow_part2.pdf

Now I'm off to work on Part 3.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
More
29 Oct 2011 06:12 #25194 by jnw550
With my own name being Jason, I can live vicariously through Shadar's stories. B)

Thanks for sharing!

More
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds