Amount

SuperSexyHeroines.com server down

16 Nov 2011 18:04 #25428 by JonX
SuperSexyHeroines.com server down was created by JonX
Hey all,

A quick message to say that all of my websites are down at the moment because of a server attack at my hosting company.

They are doing everything they can to bring the websites back up and running, and once I know something I'll post it in this thread.

Chapter 2 of Time Travel was locked and loaded, and it up on the site when it comes back online.

Will be back with updates as soon as I get any.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JonX
  • JonX's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2011 02:00 #25429 by mo
Replied by mo on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Hey Jon

Do you think you'll ever make any more movies for superheroinefilms?

I think you definitely should;)

More
17 Nov 2011 21:45 #25435 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
What kind of hosting company stays down for 24 hours for a server (presumably a DoS) attack??? It should be one hour TOPS once it's identified if they know what they are doing. Methinks your being bullshitted....

ElF

More
17 Nov 2011 23:55 #25437 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Looks like it is back up.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
18 Nov 2011 02:08 #25439 by Revan
Replied by Revan on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down

Sarge395 wrote: Looks like it is back up.

It's not responding here though?

More
18 Nov 2011 02:30 #25440 by Brantwood
Replied by Brantwood on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Server is still down!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

More
18 Nov 2011 04:22 #25441 by JonX
Replied by JonX on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Hey.... any recommendations for a hosting company... one with good support?
I'm in the UK, but open to US-based or European-based hosting companies.

Any suggestions?

• JonX
More
18 Nov 2011 07:20 - 18 Nov 2011 07:20 #25442 by Esteban
Replied by Esteban on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
I have some pages at all-inkl.com, very satisfied with them. Don't know what features you need (or what pricing you want), but they have at least PHP+MySQL. They are Germany-based though, and I don't know if they also have an English support. But you should give it a try and ask them :)

Also, I have no clue how payment from a different country works. Sorry ;)
Last edit: 18 Nov 2011 07:20 by Esteban.

More
18 Nov 2011 07:28 #25443 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
We host at hostgator and rarely have issues....very impressed with them...

ElF

More
18 Nov 2011 12:23 #25445 by essaychque
Replied by essaychque on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Web site down time just isn't excusable anymore. Building a fault tolerant web system is ridiculously easy now. Two HP desktops, a QNAP NAS and hyper-V can make a zero cost failover cluster. Scale it up from there and you have no reason to ever be down. If a hosting company can't find the thousand dollars for the bargain basement arrangement I just mentioned then perhaps you should go elsewhere. At the high-end a couple of DMX4's and racks worth of DL980's running VMWare makes for an impossible to outage system.

And in case you're wondering... I'm a product manager for web services. Five nines keeps me in a job, anything less would not.

More
18 Nov 2011 16:21 #25446 by JonX
Thanks all.

I've just sent a private message to EssayChque and I'm really hoping he may be able to help.

I'm also trying to get help from our hosting company, but they're absolutely rubbish.

Thanks for your patience. Hopefully I'll have the site back up soon.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptainIrishman

• JonX
More
18 Nov 2011 22:02 #25449 by roden81
Replied by roden81 on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
How about this company, I swear by them JonX...

www.webfusion.co.uk/

More
21 Nov 2011 21:02 #25469 by JonX
Hey everyone... I'm nearly back online.

Thanks to everyone that got in touch. I'll be changing hosting providers after the appauling service I've had. I don't have 'managed' hosting and I don't expect to have instant support because I'm not paying for it. But, I would have appreciated the hosting company not to just tell me:

--
Hosting - 'its broken, now fix it, and you need to prove you have before we switch you back on'

JX - what exactly is broken?

Hosting - check the logs. Its obvious

JX - I'm just a photographer. I shoot pretty girls for a living. I don't understand what a log is

Hosting - find someone that does

JX - okay. Tell you what I'm going to have a look. Any advice for me, any guidance? Not necessarily the 'official' line, but anything between us... just two men chatting on the phone one-to-one?

Hosting - no. Good bye
--

Anyhow, I'm nearly at the bottom of it. But I will be switching providers pretty quickly, and with a company that actually offers a little bit of security guidance for no extra charge.

Give me a couple of days and I'll be all back online again. I've actually got a SuperheroinePeril.com update too so hopefully I'll have that up by the weekend too.

Jon

• JonX
More
22 Nov 2011 02:29 #25475 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Sounds rather mysterious.

There are plenty of people here, including myself, who have technical expertise in configuring and running web servers and programming. Some of us even do it for a living. If you asked, I'm sure one of us would be kind enough to look at your logs and figure out that the fuss is about.

R5

More
22 Nov 2011 02:48 #25476 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down

five_red wrote: Sounds rather mysterious.

There are plenty of people here, including myself, who have technical expertise in configuring and running web servers and programming. Some of us even do it for a living. If you asked, I'm sure one of us would be kind enough to look at your logs and figure out that the fuss is about.

R5

I'm also available as well, i've also had problems with hosts before so i know what you are going through.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 Nov 2011 05:09 #25485 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
OK I'm playing the devil here now and I don't care if I get flamed like a Mofo.

So the site does not get updated months at a time, while people continue to pay for access to the site. People start leaving and rightfully so. Couple weeks of upload and people wonder maybe I should stay.

So now is the part that I'll get flamed for. Was the site outage caused by a hack or did not feel like doing a couple weeks of updates.

OK, now here is the $100 question. If this site, this PAY site, did get hacked. Did you connect your clients to at least have them watch their credit cards. I have no idea what got hacked, but I'm assuming you do (could be a big mistake).

The tech support call sounds questionable at best. A hosting company not giving good support will not be a hosting company. A hosting company with a pay sites that takes credit cards, should give you more than BS level support.

If it was hacked then you should send out an email to your clients and cancel all subscriptions. The client then can resign up with a new CC. Also law in enforcement should be called in.

If this is just a cover story for no updates, bad on you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roden81

More
23 Nov 2011 06:45 #25486 by Esteban
Replied by Esteban on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Didn't Jon post several updates on different stories quite recently?

More
23 Nov 2011 09:19 #25489 by roden81
Replied by roden81 on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
That is actually a fair point Raa, but you know you're not going to get a response!!!

More
23 Nov 2011 10:02 #25491 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
I am a little torn here, but let's look at the obvious. Jon's is just about the best site of its kind on the net. It went from one to four at some point. After that, things started to slow down and
updates became scarce.

Logic would say that Jon may have spread himself just a little too thin most likely in time and money.
Hosting sites also go down when bills are not paid. And I think we all understand that top talent requires top prices be paid. This would not be the first business that went bust in today's economy. Here's hoping that Jon can come back and re-emerge with the same top quality product and service that his site once featured.

I would suggest that it would be in most everyone's interest on this site if some of our top technical guys could contact Jon and maybe work out a deal with him (Free use of his site in exchange for technical help/hosting assistance) to help him get restarted, at least with our favorite site of his.

And let's all give thanks that Kelly and Random and the rest of the folks are all out there chugging away turning out ever better products.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, earllechec

More
23 Nov 2011 13:02 #25494 by JonX
Hey Raa,

I think its a fair point. I hadn't thought of it like that - that people may think I'd go to these extreme lengths just because I didn't feel like doing a couple weeks of updates.

I certainly don't think you should be 'flamed'. Its a reasonable question and assumption and I'll do my best to answer your questions below.

The sites were all hacked.

Not just per site, but the entire server.

The reason that I didn't email everyone is because I thought this problem would be resolved quickly. But, it hasn't been.

Member data and credit card data is all safe

Regarding credit cards, I don't keep any credit card details or any sensitive data on my servers. CCBill look after the member data and credit card details - I don't even have member email addresses on my servers.

Tech support sounding questionable

I think that anyone that has had to deal with hosting companies will back me up. Sometimes you get great service, but other times now. I'm with 1and1.co.uk. They are one of the worlds largest hosting companies. The level of service I am receiving is appauling. To give you an indication, the reason why some of your guys see the website online intermittently is because the Plesk Node keeps crashing and I have to keep ringing them to get it reset. It takes about 30 minutes per call.

Cleaning up the servers

I thought this would be easy. But it isn't. 1and1.co.uk just provide me with log files. The conversation above really did happen. I only for a Virtual Private Server and therefore this isn't managed hosting. If it were the 'managers' of my websites would have cleaned up the sites, found the problem, and moved them to a new sever if necessary.

But I cannot afford managed hosting. Rackspace we looking to charge nearly $1000+ per month for hosting which is completely out of my budget.

Therefore, I am trying to find the problem. It means I may have to go back and try to find old versions of each of the websites and deploy them... and then manually update them. For the timebeing I'm migrating over to a new hosting company. I'm really hoping to get everything back online in the next day or so.

I've already sent snippets of the log files telling me what the problem is to a few people on this forum who have offered to help and I'm just waiting a reply. If they manage to help, great - I'd be very appreciative. If they don't have time its no problem.

Updates

As for the updates, I've all the chapter for Time Travel here on my computer, and I've the near-completed film for SuperheroinePeril.com.

Thanks Raa for bringing the topic up. Otherwise people will be sitting thinking the same, and it gives me an opportunity to address it.

I'll be back in touch as soon as I know anything else.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

• JonX
More
23 Nov 2011 15:26 #25495 by SCOTT R
Replied by SCOTT R on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Thanks for the response Jon and hope everything works out ok. I can only speak for myself but, I'm very grateful for your sites. Awesome superchicks!

More
23 Nov 2011 15:55 #25496 by Brantwood
Replied by Brantwood on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Hey Jon,
what about an Update on Superheroinefilms???

There has been no Update since Spring 2011!!

Hope to hear from you.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

More
23 Nov 2011 23:17 - 23 Nov 2011 23:22 #25499 by Revan
Replied by Revan on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Maybe I'm bashing details but was it an actual hacking attempt or just your run of the mill attack (usually DDOS)?
Apart from the fact actual hacking into your server would be unlikely to bring it down completely, why would anyone do so? Any script kiddie worth his salt would realize after 1 look at your site that the odds of finding financial info would be extremely slim to none.
And going through the fuss just to get access to your site's content and save 18 bucks? Again, it seems unlikely to me.

So more likely some putz got frustrated with you or your website and decided to cause you trouble with some scripted attack.

As for the claim Jon did this himself intentionally, why? He's had dry spells before that lasted a lot longer and never bothered to come up with something like this. And since he seems to shoot the material for his stories in 1 go he would have had at least another couple of weeks worth of Time Travel material so the timing would be awkward at best if the site downtime was intended.

Wrapping up, I hope your site gets sorted soon Jon, was nice to see that you apparently got your things back on track again. Not sure if you intend to try to get all 4 sites going again, personally I'd rather see you focus on 1 or 2 and keep those going properly than have history repeat itself but that's your call to make of course.
And finally, it's great to see you actually stick your neck out this time and communicate rather than the stonewalling you opted for in the past. Keep it up :)
Last edit: 23 Nov 2011 23:22 by Revan.

More
24 Nov 2011 01:06 #25501 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
I've seen a sample of the log and it's a easy fix, his site should be up and running soon.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Nov 2011 01:37 #25502 by mo
Replied by mo on topic Re: SuperSexyHeroines.com server down
Hey Jon - I would also like to add my support. The content that you have produced is to an incredible standard. Keep it up!

I hope Danica one day makes a return as Supergirl at superheroinefilms. In my opinion she makes the perfect Supergirl : )

More
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds