Amount

Family Life

28 Oct 2019 21:47 #65411 by Thefirstone
Family Life was created by Thefirstone
There don’t seem to be many stories about that around here, and I think a story about a superwoman’s relationship with her parents/spouse/children/siblings/whoever
could be pretty interesting.  For instance,  a normal guy (or girl) married to a woman with superpowers.  Do they know going in, and if not how does she break it to them? Or a woman  who gains powers during her marriage.  Or a superheroine training her daughter as a successor.  Or going the Incredibles route and having a whole family of superheroes (or possibly superVILLAINS).  I feel like there are some interesting possibilities here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luchodemeyer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2019 21:53 #65412 by luchodemeyer
Replied by luchodemeyer on topic Family Life
I totally agree with you. 
Stories within the daily routine of a family help us to imagine ourself in the situation. 
We all have (had) a family in wich we can imagine « what if ».
that’s why I’d better writte about such situation rather than intergalactic vessel...

More
28 Oct 2019 22:23 #65413 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Family Life

Thefirstone wrote: There don’t seem to be many stories about that around here, and I think a story about a superwoman’s relationship with her parents/spouse/children/siblings/whoever
could be pretty interesting.  For instance,  a normal guy (or girl) married to a woman with superpowers.  Do they know going in, and if not how does she break it to them? Or a woman  who gains powers during her marriage.  Or a superheroine training her daughter as a successor.  Or going the Incredibles route and having a whole family of superheroes (or possibly superVILLAINS).  I feel like there are some interesting possibilities here.

I've pushing for this kind of angle for years.
For a while I got my fix through the "Our Supermom" webcomic .
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, Gargamel

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2019 01:07 #65415 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Family Life
If the rumors are true the "Superman and Lois" show is heading there at least a bit on the CW as they will have a child.

More
29 Oct 2019 03:55 #65417 by guimachajo1
Replied by guimachajo1 on topic Family Life
I remember a story in which it begins that a supergirl left school and went home flying or running at super speed. He also said that it was due to the super powers inherited from the mother. I had not gone to camp even at pajama parties. for fear of floating or levitating while sleeping.I don't remember the title nor have I found the story in the story bank.
What I know is that I saw her here.
Please, someone knows what it is.

More
29 Oct 2019 13:47 #65421 by Woody
Replied by Woody on topic Family Life
It's kind of the route I started to go down with the Dazzling Diamond way back when trying to focus the story on Stacey and Simon. I think the idea has potential but there;s a real trope trap about putting the significant other / family member as the maguffin in the story. How mundane to you actually want their other life to be? 

I suppose one way to make it work is having a Dinnertime discussion.
"What did you do today?"
"Balanced a few spreadsheets and made some calls. You?
"Saved 30 people from a burning building then went and caught a nuclear warhead saving mankind"
"That's great, Can you pass the salt"

Woody 
The following user(s) said Thank You: CANNNNIS

More
29 Oct 2019 15:08 #65422 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Family Life

Woody wrote: It's kind of the route I started to go down with the Dazzling Diamond way back when trying to focus the story on Stacey and Simon. I think the idea has potential but there;s a real trope trap about putting the significant other / family member as the maguffin in the story. How mundane to you actually want their other life to be? 

I suppose one way to make it work is having a Dinnertime discussion.
"What did you do today?"
"Balanced a few spreadsheets and made some calls. You?
"Saved 30 people from a burning building then went and caught a nuclear warhead saving mankind"
"That's great, Can you pass the salt"

Woody 

There was pretty much this exact scene in the first Invincible TPB, when the Grayson family was having dinner and talking about their day.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Oct 2019 22:31 #65425 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Family Life

Woodclaw wrote: I've pushing for this kind of angle for years.
For a while I got my fix through the "Our Supermom" webcomic .

I was about to mention Super-Mom!  Super props for mentioning it!  (The writer and main artist are at a bunch of conventions near me, they're both great guys.)

Fantastic Four (at times) fits this really well (it's when the comic is the best).  A backup story in Mark Wai'ds first issue FF, Vol 3 #60 is one of my favorite Mr. Fantastic Stories and it's beause of him relating to his children.  The book is best when it's about family and the subject of extended family with Uncle Ben and the related people who have become part of the family from the Fanastic Four.  I forget the issue but tehre was a "spider-man is thought to be dead" event and when the FF see he's not dead, they get emotional and hug him.  Because they're a family and react that way.

There is a new comic "Hope" about a woman who gains powers, became an unregistered Super-Hero, and then is outed.  She then has problems with Child Protective Services (child at risk, and technically she was breaking the law), etc.  So it's very much about the after effects of her being revealed as a hero and dealing with that. (lot's of world building).     (by Dirk Manning and K. Lynn Smith)

www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/01/hope-new...h-dirk-manning-2018/

It doesn't appaer to be on Comixology, but it's carried by my local comic book store (which doesn't mean much, my store caries a LOT of independent comics and the writer is from the area which makes it's a lock that the manager would stock it.)

It was a nice change of pace ot have Jon along with Lois and Superman in the recent comics.  Jumping him up in age seems to have ruined something that was nice.  (And now he's being shot off into the Legion and seems like he wont' be around as much.)

The latest Mr. Miracle series is set against the birth of Scott and Barda's baby.  (The issue where the furies are in the waiting room is hilarious -- they may be enemies but they consider themselves aunts ....)

Similary for a really odd take on this, the Vision 12 issue series by Tom King (who also wrote the Mr. Miracle run above) is all about family.  Vision makes a wife, two kids and a dog.  And it's really great too.

The comic Noble Causes is very much about an extended super hero family with people of all ages (multi-generational).  The first stories are set with a woman who starts dating into the family and her reactions with everything.  So it's not quite the Fantastic Four, the family is MUCH LARGER and has several generations.

The Spin-off Dynamo 5 is the other way around, Hero dies and five young adults find out that their father is him and they each have one of his powers.  Adult-ish children finding they are all related (and super) and learning to deal with it, and relating to the ex-wife who is very much not the mother of any of them....

When i saw the first cover I thought Spider-Woman being pregnant was gimmicky, but the story turned out really well IMO, and having her be a mother seems to be working for her character.  That and since they're pushing Captain Marvel and Marvel has also remembered they are long time friends are really great character bits for her now.  Well, and she gets play in the spider-verse books.  For those pining for her old costume, she's in the mini-series "Strikeforce" and was wearing her old costume there (zero focus on family life in the series so far.)

The latest jessica Jones series is a lot about the family life of Jessica/Luke and their Daughter.  It's electronic only, I don't think there's been a print version yet (maybe the GN has been released).  (To Jessica and Luke's horror their daughter turns purple ... perhaps she's not Luke's child?  Luke's reaction to this is fantastic.)  The series mostly focuses on Jessica + some kick ass female character guest stars, but her family life is in the backdrop.  (I really enjoyed it.)

And the Spider-man comic "Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows" is all about an alternative future where he and Mary Jane had a daughter. She's in high school and has powers.  Very much about the high school+family angle.

That's my quick "comics about families" dump. ;-)  i think this is a great subject and I'm happy that DC/Marvel are backing off their "no couples" rule they had.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gargamel, guimachajo1

More
01 Nov 2019 05:07 #65432 by Thefirstone
Replied by Thefirstone on topic Family Life
I’m kind of considering writing a series of shorts from the perspectives of the spouses of different superheroines, with different conditions for each one (in one he only learned her secret after they got married , in another she didn’t get her powers until then, in a third she doesn’t bother with a secret identity, in another he was the first person she met on Earth, in another they’re a lesbian couple, etc).

• Thefirstone
  • Thefirstone's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Nov 2019 09:53 #65433 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Family Life
Oh that topic brings back some memories... there was a workshop regarding that:

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...ring-2013&Itemid=232

Only 3 of the 5 stories are still there...

guimachajo1 wrote: I remember a story in which it begins that a supergirl left school and went home flying or running at super speed. He also said that it was due to the super powers inherited from the mother. I had not gone to camp even at pajama parties. for fear of floating or levitating while sleeping.I don't remember the title nor have I found the story in the story bank.

That sounds a lot like "Finding herself" a story written for the above-mentioned workshop. Which would be bad for you as the author eventually realized his stories were garbage and had them removed from the site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

More
01 Nov 2019 11:07 #65434 by guimachajo1
thank you very much njae. take note; I regret that it was removed because its author considered it garbage. It is hard for me to write because I can think of many ideas and sometimes I can come up with ideas derived from what I read. And when I publish my first bullet as I wrote it for the first time, I took it, and I took a risk and I know that it is worse garbage because it needs a lot of revision and above all I need to learn how to plan the story, ideal an end and how to develop it until I reach it . I apologize for it.

More
01 Nov 2019 11:36 #65435 by njae

guimachajo1 wrote: thank you very much njae. take note; I regret that it was removed because its author considered it garbage. It is hard for me to write because I can think of many ideas and sometimes I can come up with ideas derived from what I read. And when I publish my first bullet as I wrote it for the first time, I took it, and I took a risk and I know that it is worse garbage because it needs a lot of revision and above all I need to learn how to plan the story, ideal an end and how to develop it until I reach it . I apologize for it.

I don't understand why you feel the need to apologize...

More
01 Nov 2019 11:48 #65436 by guimachajo1
One idea that occurred to me was that a boy be adopted or welcomed by a family in which both the mother and the daughters were superwoman. or that it was an exchange to learn English or to pass a course abroad.So when I read the stories of the ancient Aurora universe. especially Kara's books. It occurred to me how it would be for a boy or girl to go to the house where they welcomed Kara O That Kara as kara mathew went to Spain or France for exchange or course or to visit Peter or Kristal in secret.
And the same if one were to Kara or Cat's house for the same reason and discovered that they are Velorian.

As you can see those ideas occur to me, but then I don't know how to develop it and if ever
I do it the first person who reads it must be the original creator and to publish here both in the forum and in the story bank you must have your permission apart from liking enough to be able to publish it.
Another idea is the stories of the new Aurora universe is that apart from Ben Shaffer were more earthly there their adaptation problems, etc.

More
01 Nov 2019 11:57 #65437 by guimachajo1
Sorry, I'm using a translator. and I don't have a dictionary on hand to correct and use better words. And and it can affect what I write

More
01 Nov 2019 17:16 #65439 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Family Life

njae wrote: Oh that topic brings back some memories... there was a workshop regarding that:

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...ring-2013&Itemid=232

Only 3 of the 5 stories are still there...

guimachajo1 wrote: I remember a story in which it begins that a supergirl left school and went home flying or running at super speed. He also said that it was due to the super powers inherited from the mother. I had not gone to camp even at pajama parties. for fear of floating or levitating while sleeping.I don't remember the title nor have I found the story in the story bank.

That sounds a lot like "Finding herself" a story written for the above-mentioned workshop. Which would be bad for you as the author eventually realized his stories were garbage and had them removed from the site.

All I can say is I would love to see more garbage like that.

(BTW do you have any copies of you old stories? I love to have them even if it's just for my own collection).

More
01 Nov 2019 20:51 #65441 by njae

The Highlander wrote:
All I can say is I would love to see more garbage like that.

(BTW do you have any copies of you old stories? I love to have them even if it's just for my own collection).

As I mentioned earlier, I consider all my stories garbage and specifically not fit for this community (I mean what was I thinking, a story with a good ubergirl and no huge destruction? Nobody cares for that here). I'm surprised that someone remembers it and even would like a copy, but I do not want to put my stories back out there in any way. I'm glad they're gone and mostly forgotten.

More
02 Nov 2019 19:29 #65447 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Family Life
Sorry to disagree, but Michelle's Meteor Memento was and is one of all-time favorite series.

More
03 Nov 2019 04:17 #65448 by Idylls
Replied by Idylls on topic Family Life

njae wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I consider all my stories garbage and specifically not fit for this community (I mean what was I thinking, a story with a good ubergirl and no huge destruction? Nobody cares for that here). I'm surprised that someone remembers it and even would like a copy, but I do not want to put my stories back out there in any way. I'm glad they're gone and mostly forgotten.

I don't consider your stories as garbage (more like junk food) and I do agree that your stories don't fit this community. What I disagree with is the notion that nobody cares. There is a need for writers of good ubergirl stories and no huge destruction. Stories that don't fit the domination mold. Stories of selfless people doing the right thing despite the odds, difficulties and are ready to sacrifice everything because it is the right thing to do. 

You're not the only one to notice of this lack in the community. There are others out there.

• Idylls
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2019 10:31 #65449 by njae

Idylls wrote:

njae wrote:

I don't consider your stories as garbage (more like junk food) and I do agree that your stories don't fit this community. What I disagree with is the notion that nobody cares. There is a need for writers of good ubergirl stories and no huge destruction. Stories that don't fit the domination mold. Stories of selfless people doing the right thing despite the odds, difficulties and are ready to sacrifice everything because it is the right thing to do. 

You're not the only one to notice of this lack in the community. There are others out there.

This feels a bit contradicting. The need for non-evil ubergirl stories can only come from the community after all as there's no rule against it on SWM. So either the story fits the community or nobody really cares if its there or not. My stories clearly fall into the latter given that nobody noticed them disappearing from the site. Trust me, I paid attention to that.

So if anybody feels that there should be more of a certain story type they should voice that opinion. Writing a story is a lot of work that has to be done in one's spare time and usually involves other peoples spare time as beta readers as well. At a certain point the "fun" in writing alone isn't enough to motivate, so positive feedback from the readers is necessary to keep one motivated. If barely anybody mentiones that the stories are liked while a large potion of positive feedback is dished out - to authors/stories featuring evil ubergirls, Naturally those authors can keep going while others eventually give up in frustration. In short the vocal part of the community decides what kinds of stories are favored.

Btw: Given the amount of time involved, I don't see the difference between garbage and junk food.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woody

More
04 Nov 2019 12:45 - 04 Nov 2019 13:10 #65454 by Woody
Replied by Woody on topic Family Life

njae wrote: This feels a bit contradicting. The need for non-evil ubergirl stories can only come from the community after all as there's no rule against it on SWM. So either the story fits the community or nobody really cares if its there or not. My stories clearly fall into the latter given that nobody noticed them disappearing from the site. Trust me, I paid attention to that.

So if anybody feels that there should be more of a certain story type they should voice that opinion. .

I really couldn't have said it better myself. As a fellow "Good girl heroine" writer sometimes I do wonder if this place is the best place to actually put up my stuff. But i'm in a similar position to Njae. I could delete my stories tomorrow and I'm not sure if anyone would bat an eyelid. 

To tie it back to family life there's all kinds of people and as writers we all understand that. It's great that the evil sibling does get recognition but sometimes the lesser known kids want their share too

Maybe that's your angle thefirstone - two sister's; good vs evil, both just want to be understood by the other. See where it goes

Woody 
Last edit: 04 Nov 2019 13:10 by Woody. Reason: name correction

More
04 Nov 2019 16:15 #65456 by Lupus753
Replied by Lupus753 on topic Family Life
For NaNoWriMo, I'm writing a story about a superpowered woman - named Tiffany Jackson - who is married to a normal woman - named Alice Watanabe.

I'm making up the story as I go along, but I try to make the relationship perfectly loving, to the best of my meager abilities. In addition, I have decided that a big reason that Tiffany fell in love with Alice is because was one of the few people willing to stand up to Tiffany when she was a bitch during middle school.

More
06 Nov 2019 00:15 #65485 by Klaus
Replied by Klaus on topic Family Life
I'm writing a story set in the Aurora Universe by shadar with a fairly heavy focus on the relationship between a Terran, Jasmine, and the Velorian Hilda.

As Hilda literally crash lands in Jasmine's kitchen like meteor, their relationship gets off to a dramatic start!

I'll try to keep their relationship... grounded. There's a give and take in any serious relationship between two human beings, even when one is a superfemme and the other is a normal human. There's bliss for Jasmine, and the comfort of human contact for Hilda, which I've come to think is extraordinarily important and valued by Vels.. There will be tension but also passion and pleasure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Woodclaw, MisterK, cbaby

More
11 Nov 2019 21:50 #65590 by MisterK
Replied by MisterK on topic Family Life
My Ms. Infinity novels have a lot of family scenes in them.  Bonnie Boring (Ms. Infinity) is close with her mother (from the same planet, so also "super," but doesn't have a public identity. ) Bonnie is in her twenties but lives with mom (careers going nowhere--superpowers have no answers for tak life after all.) Her father is not in the picture, He's part of the reason they left the native world. 

Anyemway, despite their alien origin and powers, they are surprisingly normal. Bonnie gives her mom endless attitude. Mom give advice, and has limited patience for her superhero life, which she finds frivolous (though she eventually comes around to appreciating it.)  She wants her daughter to go back to school and get a "real" job, saying "I can't support you forever.."

Her boyfriend Hal and best friend Lisa also live at home (It's NYC. Who can afford the rent!?) Thre are subplots with their families too. 

More
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds