Amount

What do you look for in a story on this site?

28 Oct 2020 17:01 #69614 by Jabbrwock
Replied by Jabbrwock on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?
I like stories where the superwoman is enjoying her powers rather than focusing on how miserable she is making everybody else. That tends to turn me off on power transfer stories and evil superwoman stories, although not entirely - sometimes those work if they don't linger too much on the misery of the non-super characters.

Stories that actually have story to them have a lot more appeal to me as well - just a superwoman slice of life story tends to get old, although it can work in a vignette format where you're just seeing a scene or two.

Finally, pettiness just annoys me. There is no reason why a happy superwoman should waste her attention on some elaborate or obsessive revenge on some guy who didn't ask her out on a date or whatever - just vaporize him and move on. Ordinary mortals are essentially insects - squash them and forget about them if you really feel the need to get revenge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2020 09:02 #69631 by marcoasalazarm2
Replied by marcoasalazarm2 on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?
Big, badass fight sequences.

More
01 Nov 2020 21:56 - 02 Nov 2020 05:38 #69635 by Monty
An in-depth description of scenes goes a long way. Someone who can write scenes and then re-wind and re-write to improve the depth. It has to be said, Conceptfan is, of course, right up there with writing some great scene descriptions.
I remember him saying, tell the story as if you are speaking the narrative to someone face-to-face in a bar.
All The Best CF!
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 05:38 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: conceptfan, Cerebasan, Slim0926, HikerAngel

More
02 Nov 2020 10:48 #69643 by Glaazius
Replied by Glaazius on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?
On the one hand, my wishes in a story are quite shallow. 
  • It must be centered around a hot girl (or a girl who suddenly became hot by some surge of power)
  • She must have superpowers in the sense that she is able to single-handedly subjugate the entire planet.
  • Her ambition MUST be to subjugate the entire planet.
  • And, above all, she must be evil. Very, very evil.
With that being said, these elements are only able to push my buttons if they are integrated into a well-crafted story with decent character development, engaging plot movement and dialogue.
A story becomes a page-turner for me when the author manages to uphold some hope throughout the story that despite all the struggles and despair the girl in question WILL become all-powerful and unstoppable in the end.
And I like long stories. Very, very long stories. Like Game of Thrones long, with an unending amount of chapters. I rarely read short stories and almost always hit the ‘multiple chapter' section. And even these are far too short for my taste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, hi1pie, wf711022, HikerAngel, fred

More
18 Nov 2020 12:46 #69771 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?

Relatively ‘nice’ girls.
They don’t have to all be heroesand could even be thieves or similar but ultimately I prefer to read about
someone who I would actually like to meet not some evil vindictive monster.

Displays of super strength.
Other powers can be cool butultimately if a woman can’t lift a car overhead with ease then she’s not that
inserting to me.

Height, muscle and breast growth.
My original interestwas in female muscle growth and I still find the idea of a 7’ tall muscle-bound
incredibly busty (and preferably red haired) superwoman to some short skinny
blond.

Pleasant, relatively competent male leads. 
I like reading stories where the male characters(at last the main ones on the ‘good’ side) are polite, mature and sympathetic
people rather than arrogant brutes. It’s also a bonus if they are able to support
the superwomen in the story, either technically or even just being someone to
talk to.

Any stories staring celebrities or characters that I amalready fond off.
Fairly obviously, if I already like someone such as Mary Janefrom Spiderman or Karen Gillan then the idea of a super powered version is even
more exiting.

Dislikes

Extreme gore or violence.
Paragraphs describing ingraphic detail a superwoman brutally torturing and murdering everyone that
crosses their path turn me right off.

Excessive and unjustified violence.
A character crushingtheir cheating ex boyfriend’s car into a cube and leaving him hanging from a
flagpole by his underwear is interesting, one who wipes out an entire town
because someone looks at her the wrong way is not.

Characters who are excessively powerful.
This is probablymy most controversial comment but once a character becomes too powerful most
stories just become boring. The level varies a little depending on setting (if
it’s a comic book setting then a character several times stronger than
superman/the hulk is to be expected) but if it gets to the supergoddess level I
tend to lose interest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: reddofnonnac, HikerAngel, Virtual_M

More
22 Jan 2021 22:55 #70276 by somedude1
Replied by somedude1 on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?
Not going to lie, I look for stories where women use their powers for evil and/or selfish purposes. Women using their powers for good is a bit too predictable and common.

More
22 Jan 2021 23:17 #70277 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?

somedude1 wrote: Not going to lie, I look for stories where women use their powers for evil and/or selfish purposes. Women using their powers for good is a bit too predictable and common.

Funny, I heard the same complain in reverse someother time. I think that the truth is anything can be boring if done in a formulaic way.

More
23 Jan 2021 11:48 #70282 by somedude1
Replied by somedude1 on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?
I can definitely see where you’re coming from and do agree. I just think that in most forms of media, when women are super powered, they use their abilities for good. In instances where the main character uses their abilities for evil/selfish purposes, the character is male. Women using their abilities for evil seem to take more of a secondary role or have limited screen time. Which is why we’re lucky to have a site such as this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty, MoistPanties

More
23 Jan 2021 17:06 #70283 by shadar

somedude1 wrote: I can definitely see where you’re coming from and do agree. I just think that in most forms of media, when women are super powered, they use their abilities for good. In instances where the main character uses their abilities for evil/selfish purposes, the character is male. Women using their abilities for evil seem to take more of a secondary role or have limited screen time. Which is why we’re lucky to have a site such as this.

Is this really the "secret sauce" of SWM? The one place in the universe where evil/selfish superpowered women can shine, without apology?  

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
23 Jan 2021 18:49 #70284 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?

Is this really the "secret sauce" of SWM? The one place in the universe where evil/selfish superpowered women can shine, without apology?  
Shadar

I thought the secret sauce was celebrating all tastes and all kinds of superwomen good, bad and everything in between.  Giving a platform to content-creators and fans of all flavours of superwomen.  That and an unwritten agreement that you just let other people enjoy the stuff that doesn't interest/excite/amuse/arouse you and engage with the stuff that does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Woodclaw, Ravens_ghost, fats, Revan, Monty, papayoya1, wf711022, HikerAngel, Victoria Nike

More
23 Jan 2021 19:35 #70285 by lfan
PERFECTLY stated, CF!

elf
The following user(s) said Thank You: conceptfan, fats, HikerAngel

More
24 Jan 2021 03:26 #70289 by ace191
Amen! There’s a whole lot of everything here. If you can’t find something that you like, you are not trying hard enough.

More
24 Jan 2021 14:58 #70290 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?

conceptfan wrote: I thought the secret sauce was celebrating all tastes and all kinds of superwomen good, bad and everything in between.  Giving a platform to content-creators and fans of all flavours of superwomen.  That and an unwritten agreement that you just let other people enjoy the stuff that doesn't interest/excite/amuse/arouse you and engage with the stuff that does.

yes, Amen to that!

More
24 Jan 2021 16:18 #70291 by SVillainess
Replied by SVillainess on topic What do you look for in a story on this site?
I look for excitement. Usually it means some dispute between characters over power. I prefer more realistic scnearios rather than futuristic or alien ones, though alien technogies are often a welcome empowering resource.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, HikerAngel

More
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds