Amount
× Reminder: this is not a miscellaneous discussion forum. If your thread is not about the forum itself, its software, or its mods, please look for a more appropriate home -- thanks.

The Fiction Menu

01 Sep 2012 23:32 - 01 Sep 2012 23:33 #28388 by fats
The Fiction Menu was created by fats
hi all,

Under my expert guidance Njae has been working on the fiction menu item and has done something quite cool.

In the old, old site we had all the stories listed in a nice grid where you got he name of the story, the author and the date, well Njae has been working at the backend and has come up with the solution and has given us a old skool classic layout of the stories.

He's also been working on ways to make submitting stories easier as well as making the story bank better presented.

So a big thanks should go out to him (and to me for hiring him :P )

Fats
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 23:33 by fats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, inactive, Rip Harden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Sep 2012 02:22 #28391 by Grayface
Replied by Grayface on topic The Fiction Menu
Completely and totally awesome! Thank you both for your work.

More
02 Sep 2012 02:45 #28392 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic The Fiction Menu
Thank you for working on this.

I'm getting an error when I try to go to any of the "classic" menus:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 285515 bytes) in /home/ubergirl/public_html/superwomenmania.com/components/com_jcomments/helpers/content.php on line 38

Platform details: Chrome (21.0.1180.81) on Ubuntu.

- GeekSeven

More
02 Sep 2012 02:55 #28394 by fats
Replied by fats on topic The Fiction Menu
i've made some changes in the back end can you please tell me if they have worked.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Sep 2012 03:04 #28395 by inactive

fats wrote: i've made some changes in the back end can you please tell me if they have worked.

fats

No, sorry, I'm still getting an error in both Chrome and Firefox.

This is what I got from Firefox on the sort by author:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 264803 bytes) in /home/ubergirl/public_html/superwomenmania.com/components/com_flexicontent/views/category/view.html.php on line 411

- GeekSeven

More
02 Sep 2012 03:15 #28396 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic The Fiction Menu
By date works
by titile works.

By Author sort of works. an author's works are grouped together, but they are not in alphabetical order

More
02 Sep 2012 04:11 #28398 by fats
Replied by fats on topic The Fiction Menu

geekseven wrote:

fats wrote: i've made some changes in the back end can you please tell me if they have worked.

fats

No, sorry, I'm still getting an error in both Chrome and Firefox.

This is what I got from Firefox on the sort by author:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 264803 bytes) in /home/ubergirl/public_html/superwomenmania.com/components/com_flexicontent/views/category/view.html.php on line 411

i've done more tweaks, tell me if it has made any difference.

you will need to log out and back in for the changes to work.

fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Sep 2012 07:28 #28399 by njae
Replied by njae on topic The Fiction Menu

ace191 wrote: By date works
by titile works.

By Author sort of works. an author's works are grouped together, but they are not in alphabetical order

They actually are sorted in alphabetical order, but there's one mor factor playing in here: They're sorted by name, not USER-name. Normally these names aren't displayed and several users don't even have one entered in their profile - which will put them at the top of the list. Others merely have an empty space before the name which also sorts them before the top. I'll be correcting the latter.

Another reason why someone doesn't appear where he should be is when the name differs from the username. For example Ravens_ghost is sorted between ace191 and anterion because he uses a name that starts with an A as well. This could be fixed if there were a sort by username option, but that doesn't seem to exist.

More
02 Sep 2012 20:43 #28402 by njae
Another little addition to the fiction menu:

"My Stories" - Authors can now view all their own stories with this.

"My Favorites" - There's been the possibility to add stories to your favorites, but there was never a way to view your favorites - now things are different.

A long-term plan of mine would be to have specific categories for certain series and or authors to help a bit where the Sort by Author function reaches it's limit. Any opinions on this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface, Woodclaw, inactive, fats, Lulu

More
02 Sep 2012 21:06 #28403 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic The Fiction Menu
I love it, thank you :D
Makes it so easy to quickly browse through the story list.

More
02 Sep 2012 22:45 #28404 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The Fiction Menu

njae wrote: Another little addition to the fiction menu:

"My Stories" - Authors can now view all their own stories with this.

"My Favorites" - There's been the possibility to add stories to your favorites, but there was never a way to view your favorites - now things are different.

A long-term plan of mine would be to have specific categories for certain series and or authors to help a bit where the Sort by Author function reaches it's limit. Any opinions on this?

Great works, my thanks.

More
03 Sep 2012 00:30 #28405 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic The Fiction Menu
What this little project has also shown up is that there is earlier work by larafan and DKC (to name but two) that is not on this website. Not to include such icons as 'The Awakening' and 'SuperJen' is akin to going to a Clint Eastwood festival after the Dirty Harry movies have been shown!

As they are your IP, any chance of publishing them here?

cheers :silly:

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde

More
03 Sep 2012 02:32 #28406 by inactive

Rip Harden wrote: What this little project has also shown up is that there is earlier work by larafan and DKC (to name but two) that is not on this website. Not to include such icons as 'The Awakening' and 'SuperJen' is akin to going to a Clint Eastwood festival after the Dirty Harry movies have been shown!

SuperJen is there, but it's incorrectly categorized with me as the author (because I was trying to reseed some stories a while back). There are a few that are like that.

Here is a link to SuperJen.

- GeekSeven

More
03 Sep 2012 09:29 #28408 by njae

Rip Harden wrote: What this little project has also shown up is that there is earlier work by larafan and DKC (to name but two) that is not on this website. Not to include such icons as 'The Awakening' and 'SuperJen' is akin to going to a Clint Eastwood festival after the Dirty Harry movies have been shown!

The reseeding is going slowly but surely. I've got all the old stories from the old bank saved before it went offline, so nothing is lost here. It's just a matter of time so that I can reformat and then reseed them as well as add a few tags for the stories. If anybody has certain tags in mind for a story that's already been posted, feel free to send me a PM with them. Speaking of DKC, he even gave me the permission of reseeding some older stories that weren't originally posted here. I intend to use it as an example for the planned categorisation of series.

More
03 Sep 2012 12:19 #28409 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic The Fiction Menu
Thank you. I knew about that story but didn't make the connect (assuming wrongly that it's something else).

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde

More
03 Sep 2012 13:59 #28410 by Woodclaw

njae wrote: The reseeding is going slowly but surely. I've got all the old stories from the old bank saved before it went offline, so nothing is lost here. It's just a matter of time so that I can reformat and then reseed them as well as add a few tags for the stories. If anybody has certain tags in mind for a story that's already been posted, feel free to send me a PM with them. Speaking of DKC, he even gave me the permission of reseeding some older stories that weren't originally posted here. I intend to use it as an example for the planned categorisation of series.

That's some really interesting news. I have a couple of old DKC stories from Xtreme Strength, but the format is completly gone.

More
03 Sep 2012 17:34 #28411 by ace191
I need to resend TSOS chapter 25 as the pictures did not make it into the bank. I think the best thing will be to just delete what is there and put the new one in its place.

As for my stories, one of my favorites "Kelly and Penny" did not make it into the new bank . I will most likely send it along with one of my earlier works Late Supper to be re-posted.
There are one or two that didn't make it that I will not be re-sending. I think all the authors should take a look at their stories in the bank and resend any that were left out. There may be some stories
like DKC's "The Project" that were initially posted somewhere else (like DTV) that would be nice to have in our bank.

This has been a long slow process that got derailed a month ago, but the train is back on the track, so hopefully everyone can get back on Board!

More
03 Sep 2012 20:14 #28415 by njae
As for the DKC stories, it's just a matter of time since the old stories on XtremeStrength aren't exactly consistent in their formatting, so I prefer to take care of that before posting them as examples how the stories can be categorized by series and a finished series like The Projekt fits good as an example. Speaking of which: DKC once posted a commision with the final chapter of the projekt, did anybody save that?

While we're on the topic please remind that while there are many stories out there that would fit this site, it's always necessary to get their permission. With the logical exception of stories that have already been posted here before (aka reseeding).

I need to resend TSOS chapter 25 as the pictures did not make it into the bank. I think the best thing will be to just delete what is there and put the new one in its place.

Look at the story again ;)

More
04 Sep 2012 00:33 #28422 by Woodclaw

njae wrote: As for the DKC stories, it's just a matter of time since the old stories on XtremeStrength aren't exactly consistent in their formatting, so I prefer to take care of that before posting them as examples how the stories can be categorized by series and a finished series like The Projekt fits good as an example. Speaking of which: DKC once posted a commision with the final chapter of the projekt, did anybody save that?

I might have a copy, I'm sure of the resolution though. I'll check in my HD and send you some PM.

More
04 Sep 2012 01:11 #28423 by ace191
I have the original image. I will check and see if I have the story as well and send them to you.

More
04 Sep 2012 04:08 #28424 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic The Fiction Menu
15 chapters. I have it as 'The Project'

Aleesha was one of the main characters correct?

Chapter 1 attached.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Sep 2012 06:44 #28425 by njae

ace191 wrote: I have the original image. I will check and see if I have the story as well and send them to you.

Thanks for sending me the image. I included it in the story here in the bank: www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...ct-finale&Itemid=368

The same goes for your TSOS 25 images btw, seems like all that was broken were the links, the files were still online. As for the other reseed all that's missing are the tags, but you should be able to see it under "My Stories" since they're yours.

If anybody notices similar problems, please be sure to let fats or me know. The file system behind the story isn't really that sorted out, and taking care of that provokes problems like this.

More
05 Sep 2012 04:43 #28431 by ace191
The Project finale and TSOS Chapter 25 both look great! Thanks for all your time and help!

More
06 Sep 2012 21:09 #28436 by njae
The work on the fiction menu continues and now I can already present you the Series Library that can be found there. As the name suggests it's supposed to be filled with the various series that have been posted here to give a better overview of them. Right now it's still an obvious work in progress, consisting of merely three series' as I write this: DKC's old work "The Lord of the Blings" has been salvaged along with the remaining parts of "The Project". And in order to not make it look like a DKC only show, there's also Team Acenauts "The Supergirl of Smallville".

As you can see the descriptions for the series' aren't that detailed yet, but it should give you an idea about how things can look. Right now the priority lies with creating all these subcategories. If any author has specific wishes as to how the category for his story should look like, just send us a PM and we'll see what we can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive, fats

More
06 Sep 2012 22:56 #28438 by Woodclaw

njae wrote: The work on the fiction menu continues and now I can already present you the Series Library that can be found there. As the name suggests it's supposed to be filled with the various series that have been posted here to give a better overview of them. Right now it's still an obvious work in progress, consisting of merely three series' as I write this: DKC's old work "The Lord of the Blings" has been salvaged along with the remaining parts of "The Project". And in order to not make it look like a DKC only show, there's also Team Acenauts "The Supergirl of Smallville".

As you can see the descriptions for the series' aren't that detailed yet, but it should give you an idea about how things can look. Right now the priority lies with creating all these subcategories. If any author has specific wishes as to how the category for his story should look like, just send us a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Excellent. I was hoping to finally see a version of "Lord of the Blings" with a decent format. You might also include Yosh's Serena as series.

More
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds