Amount

The LaPorte Caves - Revised

14 Feb 2020 14:10 #66800 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised

Torque wrote: I have to strongly disagree with your assessment woodclaw, at least in how you are considering Howard. Nothing has indicated any sort of extreme power imbalance between the two in the real world, let alone the kind of malicious gaslighting that such a relationship has. Just because Howard is a "fixer," as most males tend to be, that doesn't automatically prescribe narcissistic intent. From the limited backstory we have of their interactions, he doesn't try to put her in situations where he knows she will fail; asking her to partake in his own hobbies that push her boundaries is not the same thing. There is nothing limiting her from improving herself, should she so choose, and it had sounded like she already WAS improving, with Howard's support. I can guarantee that no one wants a partner that is dependent on them forever, unless they truly are sociopathic, and I don't think Howard is at all.

Your points about Julia seem more well founded though, and line up with many of my own thoughts about her. She's never been the strong one, in any sense of the word, so she's never known how to handle that responsibility in a mature way. This in contrast to the point I made about how Howard gently guided her to pushing her boundaries and get her on her feet. Julia isn't pushing Howard's boundaries in a healthy way; she's telling him to accept being less, while engaging in the "frivolous banality of suburban life," which is a perfect observation.

Howard has always been someone who enjoys pushing his limits; Julia is taking those limits away and telling him to be happy with just getting laid. Anyone who's ever been in a sex filled but loveless relationship can tell you how hollow that really is. It's only been a few days for them in the Weald, and I think Howard realizes that if they don't get out now, or if Julia doesn't change, he really is going to be stuck.

I never meant to imply that Howard had malicious intent toward Julia, what I wanted to highlight is that he didn't help her just out of the kindness of his heart. I can imagine that he liked to see her grow and improve, but I think he did it because it gave him some sort of satisfaction. As you said, it's entirely possible that he had a narcissistic intent. Howard pushed Julia to test and overcome her limits, but always measuring her up from his own point of view and his own limits. This is probably due to Julia's inability to see limits as a challenge to overcome, rather than an insurmountable obstacle.
Right now, the Nourishment completely flipped the terms of their relationship, on Earth Howard shielded Julia and pushed her to take chances, now Julia have to shield him. The big problem is that Julia isn't used to be in charge, from what I can see she was always highly dependent on others, letting them dictate the terms of her life, so now she expects Howard to just fall in line as she has done for so long. In her mind being "claimed" is normal-ish, because she sees just one side of the argument: Howard provided for her for so long, it's only fair that she reciprocates now. What Julia fails to understand is that the protection she is offering Howard is a dog tag and a leash. I can't honstly say if Howard wanted her to stay dependent from him for the rest of his life, but Julia surely wanted to be dependent from him, so now she thinks the opposite should be fair game. I've seen a few friends suffering from similar situations in RL and I can tell you there are people who enjoy to have or to be a dependent partner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrokenIron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2020 04:49 #66801 by mpac00
Replied by mpac00 on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
Can't help myself to weigh in again.  Circes, you've got us stirred up, good job.  Guess there's several of us passionate about your story.

First off, I have to admit I haven't figured out Howard's initial love for Julia.  She really does seem out of place for him.  I understand he enjoys, maybe even needs, to take care of her.  But still seems out of place.  Julia is definitely misguided. First she misunderstood Hawk's repentance as change.  So therefore she extrapolated that to mean Howard could change as well.  But changing another person is a mistake in many relationships that lead to disaster.  A person cannot change unless want to and even then with a lot of difficulty.  Julia wants to change Howard into something completely opposite to what he is.  She'll have no chance of that.  And that is her tragedy.  Unfortunately, the tragedy will be on Howard not on Julia, as he will suffer, she'll blame him, then she'll move on to join the rest of the Weald woman and lose memory of Howard.  She's finally learning what it takes to be the lead in a relationship, but has no idea how to do it.  She mistakes dominating Howard as leading.  Due to inability to empathize she cannot see the effect, or worse sees him cowering as adorable.  Now lets look at Howard.  He's being a whiny teenager.  Man up realize you loss the basis of your relationship and figure out how to manage in this world.  He's doing everything he can to lose.  Albeit, he's not given any opportunity to win.  But still, to make snide comments in public more than once and know that they can be heard is irresponsible.  He's still in denial what her capabilities are.  Get over it, realize she's super human and assume you're in for the run of your life.  If he doesn't start taking responsibility for his own protection and wise up, he will not have any protection at all.  I still think their relationship is non-recoverable.  I think it become non-recoverable back when Julia took the swim with Ruth.  Of course, nourishing was the real point, but it would have been recoverable if initial steps were taken immediately.  What I'm a little uncertain on is the foundation of the relationship in Earth.  Woodclaw describes both as narcissistic.  I think the debate in my mind is Howard.  Did he need for Julia to admire him to try to improve her, or was his need more altruistic in that he saw her as someone that could be improved and felt that he could help her do it and enjoy watching her blossom.  The relationship is a rapid moving train wreck which the three forces, Howard, Julia, and Mindy, cannot stop.  I think the only person to mitigate the wreck is Ruth.  But for her to do that will require losing the inherent bias against men and realize Howard is not a Weald male, but more.  So I'll throw this out there.  Maybe the pill is a setup from Ruth.  Can't quite see how as she was not directly mentioned to be in the house during the argument prior to the rehearsal, but since everyone was getting ready, one can assume she was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, twitch99

More
15 Feb 2020 10:11 #66804 by RevTekkX
Replied by RevTekkX on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
The following could have been from Captain Obvious:
From where Circes has started this story Julia has, for good or ill, evolved past their original relationship. For any hope of happiness Julia would need to devolve, or Howard needs embrace, without reservation, Julia's evolution and a new role in their relationship. IF he doesn’t adapt, he’ll either be miserable or dead.

Lead on Circes, lead on.

More
17 Feb 2020 18:15 #66836 by Pepper
Replied by Pepper on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised

mpac00 wrote: Can't help myself to weigh in again.  Circes, you've got us stirred up, good job.  Guess there's several of us passionate about your story.

First off, I have to admit I haven't figured out Howard's initial love for Julia.  She really does seem out of place for him.  I understand he enjoys, maybe even needs, to take care of her.  But still seems out of place.  Julia is definitely misguided. First she misunderstood Hawk's repentance as change.  So therefore she extrapolated that to mean Howard could change as well.  But changing another person is a mistake in many relationships that lead to disaster.  A person cannot change unless want to and even then with a lot of difficulty.  Julia wants to change Howard into something completely opposite to what he is.  She'll have no chance of that.  And that is her tragedy.  Unfortunately, the tragedy will be on Howard not on Julia, as he will suffer, she'll blame him, then she'll move on to join the rest of the Weald woman and lose memory of Howard.  She's finally learning what it takes to be the lead in a relationship, but has no idea how to do it.  She mistakes dominating Howard as leading.  Due to inability to empathize she cannot see the effect, or worse sees him cowering as adorable.  Now lets look at Howard.  He's being a whiny teenager.  Man up realize you loss the basis of your relationship and figure out how to manage in this world.  He's doing everything he can to lose.  Albeit, he's not given any opportunity to win.  But still, to make snide comments in public more than once and know that they can be heard is irresponsible.  He's still in denial what her capabilities are.  Get over it, realize she's super human and assume you're in for the run of your life.  If he doesn't start taking responsibility for his own protection and wise up, he will not have any protection at all.  I still think their relationship is non-recoverable.  I think it become non-recoverable back when Julia took the swim with Ruth.  Of course, nourishing was the real point, but it would have been recoverable if initial steps were taken immediately.  What I'm a little uncertain on is the foundation of the relationship in Earth.  Woodclaw describes both as narcissistic.  I think the debate in my mind is Howard.  Did he need for Julia to admire him to try to improve her, or was his need more altruistic in that he saw her as someone that could be improved and felt that he could help her do it and enjoy watching her blossom.  The relationship is a rapid moving train wreck which the three forces, Howard, Julia, and Mindy, cannot stop.  I think the only person to mitigate the wreck is Ruth.  But for her to do that will require losing the inherent bias against men and realize Howard is not a Weald male, but more.  So I'll throw this out there.  Maybe the pill is a setup from Ruth.  Can't quite see how as she was not directly mentioned to be in the house during the argument prior to the rehearsal, but since everyone was getting ready, one can assume she was.

It's not necessarily wrong to try to help someone change. Julia wasn't happy with her body back on Earth. Suppose Howard had cooked healthy meals for the two of them (or chosen healthy options when eating out). He could have helped her give up smoking. It can be a loving and generous act to help someone make positive change in their life.

That's not what Julia is doing. First off, Howard doesn't want to change. Julia is trying to change Howard, not for his benefit, but for her own; to make her life better and to get what she wants. And the change she's trying to get him to make is to accept a life of subservience and abuse. If you want to know how evil Julia is being, imagine Howard, back in Kentucky, saying she "needs to be put in her place."
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, twitch99

More
17 Feb 2020 19:53 #66837 by Torque
Replied by Torque on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
I think the next chapter or two is going to be very illuminating to where circes wants to take the story. If it's just a straight up super woman fetish, then Howard will be beaten or coerced into submission. This will be evident in how Julia reacts if he tries this magic mind control pill that seems way too convenient, and if Julia doesn't see how desperate he must be to try it. She will either accept that he's serious and does not want to be there, and returns him to Earth, or she will try to "break" him.

If it's more than a male domination fantasy story, then Julia will SOMEHOW realize that she has completely lost sight of what was attractive in their relationship, and that it is not right for her to "put him in his place." He hasn't done anything wrong, even if he tries this pill. He has no way out of the situation, and it's tough to swallow that he is ever going to just accept that she's superior.

I love a strong independent woman, but going that route would not be reflective of how real relationships actually work. Julia and Howard are supposed to be similar to real people, so IMO I have certain expectations of how they would react, especially given the context of their history already.

Looking forward to seeing the next chapter so most of the debate can be put to rest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, BrokenIron

More
18 Feb 2020 13:33 #66843 by Pepper

Torque wrote: I think the next chapter or two is going to be very illuminating to where circes wants to take the story. If it's just a straight up super woman fetish, then Howard will be beaten or coerced into submission. This will be evident in how Julia reacts if he tries this magic mind control pill that seems way too convenient, and if Julia doesn't see how desperate he must be to try it. She will either accept that he's serious and does not want to be there, and returns him to Earth, or she will try to "break" him.

If it's more than a male domination fantasy story, then Julia will SOMEHOW realize that she has completely lost sight of what was attractive in their relationship, and that it is not right for her to "put him in his place." He hasn't done anything wrong, even if he tries this pill. He has no way out of the situation, and it's tough to swallow that he is ever going to just accept that she's superior.

I love a strong independent woman, but going that route would not be reflective of how real relationships actually work. Julia and Howard are supposed to be similar to real people, so IMO I have certain expectations of how they would react, especially given the context of their history already.

Looking forward to seeing the next chapter so most of the debate can be put to rest.

circes_cup said that it'll take the best part of a year to post all the chapters, so there's still quite a lot of the story left. Because of that, I suspect that things will get worse for Howard before (and if) they get better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, Monty, BrokenIron

More
22 Feb 2020 01:30 #66886 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
Narcissism is one of the most common personality traits. Everyone has it in lower and higher degrees, I recommend this youtube channel about it www.youtube.com/user/RioGrande51

The real question is when or how Narcissism becomes a disorder and leads to abuse or self-harm, and as far as I can tell, Julia and Howard are a pretty normal couple. It is the situation they find themselves that is nothing normal, and there is no psychological study that could clarify what would really happen.

Besides, without Drama there is no story. If Howard and Julia came to terms with her immense superiority as the perfect couple would do, the story would be over in a few chapters with a forgetful happy ending

So, I hope Howard doesn't 'come to terms' for at least 10 or 20 chapters  
The following user(s) said Thank You: RevTekkX, jnw550, circes_cup, twitch99, BrokenIron

More
24 Feb 2020 23:39 #66934 by Torque
Replied by Torque on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised

lowerbase wrote: Narcissism is one of the most common personality traits. Everyone has it in lower and higher degrees, I recommend this youtube channel about it www.youtube.com/user/RioGrande51

The real question is when or how Narcissism becomes a disorder and leads to abuse or self-harm, and as far as I can tell, Julia and Howard are a pretty normal couple. It is the situation they find themselves that is nothing normal, and there is no psychological study that could clarify what would really happen.

Besides, without Drama there is no story. If Howard and Julia came to terms with her immense superiority as the perfect couple would do, the story would be over in a few chapters with a forgetful happy ending

So, I hope Howard doesn't 'come to terms' for at least 10 or 20 chapters  

Correct, there is a difference between selfishness and narcissism. We all have selfish tendencies, and I would even say that most of our physical limitations are the biggest negating factors to becoming raging narcissists. Julia hasn't quite hit full on narcissist because she hasn't completely abandoned Howard, but she's right on the cusp. If she wants to enjoy the super powers she's been given, that's entirely her choice, but when she starts imposing her choices onto Howard is when it's no longer ok.

Of course she's going to want to enjoy her new powers, who wouldn't? But she is clearly losing sight of what made their relationship special. It's not about one person being the "alpha" and the other the "beta." 

I'll reiterate again, because it's what I think (hope) that circles is aiming for, that I think Julia just completely lacks the maturity to understand the implications of what her powers mean for their relationship. For her, it's been all fun and games, literally. Circes hinted that the men went snorkeling in chapter 9d, but we don't know how that went. In fact, my biggest criticism so far is the lack of perspective from Howard's side. Did he enjoy it? Is there hope for him to treat this like a vacation like Julia wants? If there is supposed to be more nuance around him becoming more desperate, we haven't seen much. Instead, we just see Julia's descent into Mindy's and Ruth's manipulations, while not actually caring what Howard wants.

I'm like the drama, and you're right, it's how a story stays interesting. But what I can't abide is a story with an unsatisfying conclusion. If Julia gets her way, that they stay for years in the Weald, that Howard just accepts her will, then any drama that builds to that point is meaningless. Both parties need to lose AND win for the most satisfying ending. I know we're a long way off from that, so maybe it's just the format of a chapter at a time that is giving me the narrative blue balls.

Speaking of....Hope to see the next chapter soon!

More
28 Feb 2020 01:59 #66985 by eromacque
Replied by eromacque on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
I'm fascinated.  Because the more I read, the better it gets.  And the angrier I become.  

It's well written, of course.  Circe is a genre writer with a strong command of language.  Skillful scene-setting.  A laudable effort to make the Weald into a fleshed-out, 3D world.  Even if it's a place that's looking less appealing to a male reader with every chapter, regardless of the glories of the Nourished themselves.

Why do I get so irritated?

Is it because Howard is initially so over the top in his insecurity?  So cartoonishly intolerant of the steel Amazon into which his girlfriend has been transformed?  His hapless flailing ego refusing to permit thoughtful engagement with his newly-goddessed girlfriend?  With each thing Julia does....each comic-book feat of strength or speed or mental prowess, he seems to just repeatedly butt his head against it, though Mindy's appalling bullying and threats seem to've made some sort of impression.

Is it because Mindy is so entirely awful, with so few redeeming qualities as to make Julia's interest in her seem egregiously shallow?  Her vanity, petulance, ego, and sadism are appalling, and feel somehow off, given her age.  They seem more fitted for an 11 year old.  Certainly they feel wrong given that Ruth herself is vastly more mature and circumspect.  She seems to have imparted almost nothing in her daughter.

Is it because Julia herself is flirting with asshole-dom as her powers rumble through her, her mind expands, and her ego grows with it, leading her to keep Howard essentially a prisoner in a place so completely, profoundly uncongenial not only to his soul, but also his physical health?

The problem is that you can't get inside a story like this because none of the protagonists feels worth cheering for.  Howard wasn't perfect, but he loved Julia and encouraged her.  The shoe's on the other foot but he apparently possesses absolutely nothing in the coping mechanism department, and his rebuffs of Julia seem both one-note and increasingly strident.

Julia was a doughy plain-Jane who became a goddess.  Yet the wonder of what she can do is often perfunctory and she too-soon shifts to patronizing, condescending, and unsympathetic.  I can run 200 miles per hour!  I'm benching 60 tons!  My mind makes Deep Blue seem like a Casio calculator!  Awww....look at Howard trying to better himself.  Hee hee!  Lookit Widdle Howie pretending he's capable and stuff like on Earth!  It's teeth-grinding.

And you know what?  I wouldn't give half a shit if it wasn't So. Well. Written.  So perhaps that's Circe's great gift.  Creating something so interesting and so compelling that I want to read every bit of it.  It's a world that's fascinating and repellent.  Maybe that makes it hard to look away.  Maybe having no one to really root for is deliberate.  A way to disorient a reader and perhaps help empathize with Howard.  I don't really know for sure.  But the quality is too high for me to stop, even as I sometimes shake my head as I read.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, RevTekkX, jnw550, twitch99, guimachajo1

More
01 Mar 2020 01:13 #66998 by mpac00
Julia's and Howard's relationship is doomed but let's take a hard look at why.

Let's look at Julia from Howard's point of view.  She used to be smaller than him, less capable.  He viewed her with potential but needed help.  She was his lost puppy to be loved.  She was smart, but did not conform to the job she chose.  She was sweet.  Now she's huge, and significantly more capable than him.  She's far more intelligent and can do any intellectual pursuit she wants.  She's now domineering.  She also is very threatening, she hurt and possibly killed some of the 50 men without remorse.  She also has realized her body is fantastic and loves it.  I think she's completely opposite in every way from her Earth self.  She has some slight resemblance to the old Julia, but even that is slight.

Let's look at Howard from Julia's point of view.  He now is no longer the leader, he cannot keep up in any physical endeavor.  He no longer can provide financially for her.  He is easily intimidated by her, and totally insecure due to fears of his environment.  So from Julia's perspective Howard also is the complete opposite to the Earth Howard.  In this case he looks the same.

So the only thing they share are common memories.  Their relationship will be fundamentally different going forward so those common memories will be confusing and at conflict.  I also propose that Howard does not love Julia since she is now totally different than she was.  Julia loves Howard since she's still retaining those old memories and now feels like she can control the relationship, kind of like vindicated in her feelings.

More
02 Mar 2020 18:53 #67015 by twitch99
Replied by twitch99 on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised

eromacque wrote: I'm fascinated.  Because the more I read, the better it gets.  And the angrier I become.  

It's well written, of course.  Circe is a genre writer with a strong command of language.  Skillful scene-setting.  A laudable effort to make the Weald into a fleshed-out, 3D world.  Even if it's a place that's looking less appealing to a male reader with every chapter, regardless of the glories of the Nourished themselves.

Why do I get so irritated?

Is it because Howard is initially so over the top in his insecurity?  So cartoonishly intolerant of the steel Amazon into which his girlfriend has been transformed?  His hapless flailing ego refusing to permit thoughtful engagement with his newly-goddessed girlfriend?  With each thing Julia does....each comic-book feat of strength or speed or mental prowess, he seems to just repeatedly butt his head against it, though Mindy's appalling bullying and threats seem to've made some sort of impression.

Is it because Mindy is so entirely awful, with so few redeeming qualities as to make Julia's interest in her seem egregiously shallow?  Her vanity, petulance, ego, and sadism are appalling, and feel somehow off, given her age.  They seem more fitted for an 11 year old.  Certainly they feel wrong given that Ruth herself is vastly more mature and circumspect.  She seems to have imparted almost nothing in her daughter.

Is it because Julia herself is flirting with asshole-dom as her powers rumble through her, her mind expands, and her ego grows with it, leading her to keep Howard essentially a prisoner in a place so completely, profoundly uncongenial not only to his soul, but also his physical health?

The problem is that you can't get inside a story like this because none of the protagonists feels worth cheering for.  Howard wasn't perfect, but he loved Julia and encouraged her.  The shoe's on the other foot but he apparently possesses absolutely nothing in the coping mechanism department, and his rebuffs of Julia seem both one-note and increasingly strident.

Julia was a doughy plain-Jane who became a goddess.  Yet the wonder of what she can do is often perfunctory and she too-soon shifts to patronizing, condescending, and unsympathetic.  I can run 200 miles per hour!  I'm benching 60 tons!  My mind makes Deep Blue seem like a Casio calculator!  Awww....look at Howard trying to better himself.  Hee hee!  Lookit Widdle Howie pretending he's capable and stuff like on Earth!  It's teeth-grinding.

And you know what?  I wouldn't give half a shit if it wasn't So. Well. Written.  So perhaps that's Circe's great gift.  Creating something so interesting and so compelling that I want to read every bit of it.  It's a world that's fascinating and repellent.  Maybe that makes it hard to look away.  Maybe having no one to really root for is deliberate.  A way to disorient a reader and perhaps help empathize with Howard.  I don't really know for sure.  But the quality is too high for me to stop, even as I sometimes shake my head as I read.

I feel the same way when reading this story,  it's so well written and I am compelled to see where it goes, but at the same time I'm pissed off that the Weald women, while they are so physically attractive, they are so cold and uncaring as people.  The world they have built is so selfish and self centered.

I anxiously await the next episode in the train wreck of Julia and Howard's relationship.

Circes, thanks for taking on this rewrite and for sharing it with us.

twitch

More
07 Mar 2020 15:21 #67112 by circes_cup
Replied by circes_cup on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
Thanks everybody.  

Nothing new this week.  Hope I can have the next chapter out soon.  Everyone have a good weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pepper, grungykitten, guimachajo1

• circes_cup
  • circes_cup's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2020 18:05 #67114 by grungykitten
Replied by grungykitten on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
I believe Julia's behavior towards Howard is a manifestation of her deep-seated self-esteem issues. The very first scene of the story is Julia lamenting about how she couldn't measure up to the rock-climbing girl. From the moment she woke up in the hospital, she feared that Howard would leave her for one of the towering, curvy amazons they were surrounded with. She admitted to Howard that she Nourished in order to better compete for his affection.

Nearly everything Julia has done in this story has been tinged with a sense of her own inferiority, even post-Nourishment. She allows everyone to make decisions for her, even men. I think for her, Howard is her only release valve; the only person she feels she can impose her will on. But it's as if she can't accept that she's even worthy of that privilege; she has to keep bossing him around in order to convince herself that she can.

The problem is, it isn't working. She isn't winning his affection; she's just losing his trust. And his affection was the thing she used to bolster her self-esteem. I have to wonder how she will cope if Howard does decide to move forward with Amanda, especially after vocally spurning Julia specifically for her new body.

I am really enjoying this revision of LPC. The character development and world-building are even better than the classic revision, and the plot is tighter and more focused. Really great stuff.

More
14 Mar 2020 17:30 #67171 by circes_cup
Nothing new this week either.  Trying to get a few upcoming chapters to align with each other and it is taking some time.  Expect I can have the next chapter our by next weekend.

Thank you all for following the story!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, rivet, RevTekkX, Pepper, eromacque, Monty, Victoria Nike

• circes_cup
More
14 Mar 2020 17:33 #67172 by Pepper

circes_cup wrote: Nothing new this week either.  Trying to get a few upcoming chapters to align with each other and it is taking some time.  Expect I can have the next chapter our by next weekend.

Thank you all for following the story!

Thank you for keeping us informed about the progress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrokenIron

More
05 Apr 2020 12:22 #67379 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
I haven't read Ch.11 yet (I'm just about to), but thank you for posting. (and thank you Woodclaw for pushing the chapter through.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: circes_cup

More
05 Apr 2020 12:37 #67380 by circes_cup
Yes, thank you Woodclaw for squeezing it in!

• circes_cup
More
05 Apr 2020 13:19 - 05 Apr 2020 13:26 #67382 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
Brilliant. I've read up to the point, so far, where Julia says "and Howard wants me to give it all up" This is astonishingly good writing.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2020 13:26 by Monty.

More
05 Apr 2020 14:27 #67383 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised

circes_cup wrote: Yes, thank you Woodclaw for squeezing it in!

No problem, but for the foreseeable future (and this is something for all the writers), please don't drop your story at the last possible minute. For real, Crices uploaded it at 00.59 AM my time, usually I schedule the stories to go online ar 1.00 AM my time :P

More
05 Apr 2020 14:38 #67384 by circes_cup

Woodclaw wrote:

circes_cup wrote: Yes, thank you Woodclaw for squeezing it in!

No problem, but for the foreseeable future (and this is something for all the writers), please don't drop your story at the last possible minute. For real, Crices uploaded it at 00.59 AM my time, usually I schedule the stories to go online ar 1.00 AM my time :P

If you don’t want to publish it this week, then don’t.  I submit my stories when they are done and am not going to apologize for the timing of the submittal.  Publish it in 2021 for all I care.

• circes_cup
More
05 Apr 2020 15:51 #67385 by wf711022
Replied by wf711022 on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
The conflict between Julia and Howard has been made public. Howard will be indifferent to Julia to express his dissatisfaction. Julia may be trying to change Howard's attitude, including the use of power, but at best she can only make Howard appear submissive.  I like this novel very much

More
05 Apr 2020 16:15 #67387 by Pepper

Monty wrote: Brilliant. I've read up to the point, so far, where Julia says "and Howard wants me to give it all up" This is astonishingly good writing.

Does he want her to give it up, though? Maybe the thing that finally gets Julia to open her eyes is for Howard to point out that of all the times he begged Julia to take him back to Kentucky, he never asked her to stay there.

More
05 Apr 2020 17:40 #67388 by mpac00

Pepper wrote: Does he want her to give it up, though? Maybe the thing that finally gets Julia to open her eyes is for Howard to point out that of all the times he begged Julia to take him back to Kentucky, he never asked her to stay there.

The biggest secret Howard is holding back on is not Mindy's threats; he's not in love with Julia.  The loss of being in love is beyond the loss of physical appeal.

More
05 Apr 2020 17:55 #67390 by wf711022
Replied by wf711022 on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised
If Julia still shows off her strength and intelligence in front of Howard, it is hard for her to win back his love. She can force Howard to stay, but he has no advantage over the other men here. Why should Julia like him for so long? If Julia liked to show off her power, she could return to earth and use it. Hopefully Julia will understand that in future chapters. In addition, could we add some scenes in the following chapters in which Julia used her power to attack other men who had no master in front of Howard, so as to warn Howard at the same time?
So many people here to leave a message, everyone very recognized your work. This is a very wonderful novel, no matter how the novel develops, I will pay attention to him. Thank you for your creation!

More
05 Apr 2020 17:55 - 05 Apr 2020 17:56 #67391 by grungykitten
Replied by grungykitten on topic The LaPorte Caves - Revised

mpac00 wrote: The biggest secret Howard is holding back on is not Mindy's threats; he's not in love with Julia.  The loss of being in love is beyond the loss of physical appeal.

I think Howard's biggest secret is that he never really loved Julia; he always just saw her as a damsel in distress that he could feel good about rescuing, and now that he can't rescue her anymore, he wants out.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2020 17:56 by grungykitten. Reason: fix formatting

More
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds