Amount

SuperStarter

31 Dec 2019 04:45 #66131 by barber
Replied by barber on topic SuperStarter
Guess it shows that SWM shouldn't ever be in control of real power-granting capabilities. We'll give it to literally the least deserving people ever and can be manipulated like putty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2019 05:03 #66132 by HikerAngel
Replied by HikerAngel on topic SuperStarter

barber wrote: Guess it shows that SWM shouldn't ever be in control of real power-granting capabilities. We'll give it to literally the least deserving people ever and can be manipulated like putty.

Come on now, Barber, it’s just a story and just for fun! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: barber

• HikerAngel
  • HikerAngel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
31 Dec 2019 06:29 #66133 by Whatever
Replied by Whatever on topic SuperStarter
Holy hell, Hanna will be absolutely glorious after this one! 

Now I've gotta ask- in which ballpark were the likes of Galaxy Girl supposed to be? Hanna was giving her a hard time this chapter, in the next she can probably walk through that reallyverytoughium wall without noticing it's there. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: HikerAngel

More
31 Dec 2019 15:36 #66137 by HikerAngel

Whatever wrote: Holy hell, Hanna will be absolutely glorious after this one! 

Now I've gotta ask- in which ballpark were the likes of Galaxy Girl supposed to be? Hanna was giving her a hard time this chapter, in the next she can probably walk through that reallyverytoughium wall without noticing it's there. 

I was thinking of Galaxy Girl's strength/speed/invulnerability being in the 1,000 ballpark. Ultraman's strength/speed/invulnerability are around 2,000, and he is the most powerful "super" on earth. So yeah, Hannah is looking powerful AF right about now! Hopefully, I can do her justice in this next episode. I'll certainly give it my best shot! There is far more participation in the voting than I originally imagined... which makes me really happy! :)

That "reallyverytoughium" thing was a placeholder as I wrote to put in something else, but I forgot to replace it in the first episode, so I continued to roll with it. I kinda like it now...

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
31 Dec 2019 16:48 - 31 Dec 2019 16:51 #66140 by Revan
Replied by Revan on topic SuperStarter

fats wrote: for those who are getting errors in posting can you please send me a screenshot of the errors so that i can sort them out.

Tadaa! 

@Hiker: I guess you'll have to adjust your power scale by a LOT, or stop voting for powers every week or Hannah will hit godhood by next week at the latest :) 

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 31 Dec 2019 16:51 by Revan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats, HikerAngel

More
31 Dec 2019 19:58 #66148 by HikerAngel

Revan wrote: @Hiker: I guess you'll have to adjust your power scale by a LOT, or stop voting for powers every week or Hannah will hit godhood by next week at the latest :) 

It's a little too late. I already showed Serena's 1500ish strength + 500 telekinesis essentially matching Ultraman in combat in the last chapter. If the voters want a goddess, then a goddess they shall have...

I think I can keep it interesting for another three-ish episodes or so, even with goddess Hannah (or Serena if she can manage a comeback). I have a few ideas... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan, Lulu

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
31 Dec 2019 20:01 #66150 by Revan

HikerAngel wrote:

Revan wrote: @Hiker: I guess you'll have to adjust your power scale by a LOT, or stop voting for powers every week or Hannah will hit godhood by next week at the latest :) 

It's a little too late. I already showed Serena's 1500ish strength + 500 telekinesis essentially matching Ultraman in combat in the last chapter. If the voters want a goddess, then a goddess they shall have...

I think I can keep it interesting for another three-ish episodes or so, even with goddess Hannah (or Serena if she can manage a comeback). I have a few ideas... :)

Looking forward to reading them! 

More
31 Dec 2019 20:25 #66151 by HikerAngel
The most intriguing thing at this point in the vote is Hannah's costume. It's too close to call at this point. To show off her chiseled abs or her bodacious breasts... that, it appears, is the question... :)

Serena's costume appears to be set. The slinky black number is looking like the clear winner.

I probably should have taken more time to choose good costume options, but I was mostly focused on the writing and just did a quick Google search for costume pictures.

If anyone has name options for the next poll, I would love to hear them. This is what I have brainstormed so far:

HANNAH
  • Golden Goddess
  • Goddess Girl
  • Heavenly Hannah
  • Ultragirl
  • Ultrawoman
  • Glory Girl
  • Dark Goddess

SERENA
  • Spy Girl
  • Sexy Spy
  • Super Spy
  • Striking Serpent
  • Slithering Serpent
  • Surreptitious Striker

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
31 Dec 2019 20:34 #66152 by njae
Replied by njae on topic SuperStarter
Gotta admit, I didn't see this twist coming, but I also am not fully happy with it. It nicely explains how Serena got to be one of the Two, as she had it too easy before.

But Hannah's development was rather extreme. We go from a bit of frustration to a start of darkness without any real trigger other than being second in a popularity contest twice now. Her primary concern in her first supervillain fight is to prevent him from messing with her chances of getting more power - for a telepath like Serena who has been reading her like a book it should be obvious something is wrong with her.

In addition to that the two veteran supers are a bit too passive given that they are the only characters that frequently interact with the two. Apparently Galaxy Girl isn't in on the while double agent thing so her dislike of Serena seems genuine. But with Hannah - she's ridiculously distant. Especially after the incident where Hannah got the drop on her, someone should have talked to her. They're giving these women kryptonian-level superpowers and then ignore any red flag and their training apparently doesn't involve any kind of pep talk. In story, there were all the preparations in the world to make sure that only the pure of heart got chosen,
And if Galaxy Girl is just a very very bad teacher - then why doesn't Hannah have anybody else to talk to? For Serena it makes sense to be kind of a loner, but for Hannah? She'd be the kind of person to have a bff that could ground Hannah in reality.

Another point would be the utter destruction of the 4th wall. I don't like it when sites and avatars are mentioned in story (unless it's a Christmas story) but the setup here is getting more problematic now:
Chapter 2:
In-universe audience: Didn't see anything from the girls - the efforts they put into training was all that could have possibly been shown.
Real audience: Saw even the thoughts of the characters, even though that at times was not all there was to it. Didn't stray far from what was known until then,

In-universe audience: Saw Hannah make some sexy pictures of herself to get out of her shell - and maybe they were shown the situation with Galaxy Girl Reality-TV style.
Real audience: Saw Hannah's frustration grow, her thoughts going into darker places and her even contemplating working with a supervillain to get what she needs.

So Hannah pulling ahead can only be interpreted as "Sex sells!" in story and could help in Hannah turning herself around and be the goody two-shoes again - with a bit sexier clothing. The actual audience might vote for her because they want a bad girl - just like they wanted it with Serena. So even though the same poll results are used, the characters cannot use the same interpretation for the results.

For power levels it might be a good idea to get rid of the 1:1 relation between votes and power. In some RPGs the price for stats increase the higher the stats are, Getting from 50 to 60 might cost 10 points, but getting from 100 to 110 might cost 20 ...
And probably there could be a factor to even out the number of votes in total - the number of votes may be higher due to the holiday season and will probably drop. Maybe some explanation that the machines can only deploy so much energy and the excess is stored for later use. Could become a plot point later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Lulu, HikerAngel

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Dec 2019 21:01 - 31 Dec 2019 21:07 #66153 by HikerAngel
Good points, all, Njae.

Given yours and the the reaction of a few others, I believe that I didn't do a good enough job of selling Hannah's development. I think I may use a dream sequence to help elaborate on Hannah's mindset. Also, she has been cut off from her friends, isolated in the Fairness Team compound for the duration of the power-up. I'll make that clearer in the next episode. It might have been good to give her a BFF at first, then strip her of them in episode 2, but alas, I didn't think to do it. I'm trying to set different things up but still react to the changing directions caused by the voting, but this style of reactive storytelling is new to me, and I've definitely missed some opportunities... all the more reason to do it again, even better, at some point, eh? ;)

The obliteration of the 4th wall is entirely the point of this little tale, from my perspective. I can appreciate that you may not be a fan of it, but it is the underpinning of the very concept of the story. You're more than welcome to call it a flaw if you'd like, but it's how I want it. :)

The in-universe audience and real audience getting different insight is the nature of the beast. It wouldn't be as much fun to have no access to the thoughts and behind-the-scenes actions of the characters, would it? It would make the Hannah twist even more jarring and the Serena twist impossible without blowing her cover. You're completely correct that the real and in-story audience may be voting based on different information. I guess that I am willing to lose voting realism to gain entertainment value/fun in this particular respect.

Great points on the two veteran supers. I've probably underutilized them in the early part of the story. When this is all done, I may go back and make some improvements there... hopefully that's not too much of a mistake to hold people back from enjoying the rest of the story, however. I'm fairly certain that the bulk of the attention is on Hannah and Serena. ;)

Good idea on the scaling of the power levels. I may incorporate that in the last couple of episodes, if you don't mind me stealing your great ideas!

Thank you for all of the wonderful feedback!
Last edit: 31 Dec 2019 21:07 by HikerAngel.

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
31 Dec 2019 23:20 #66155 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic SuperStarter

njae wrote: Gotta admit, I didn't see this twist coming, but I also am not fully happy with it. It nicely explains how Serena got to be one of the Two, as she had it too easy before.

But Hannah's development was rather extreme. We go from a bit of frustration to a start of darkness without any real trigger other than being second in a popularity contest twice now. Her primary concern in her first supervillain fight is to prevent him from messing with her chances of getting more power - for a telepath like Serena who has been reading her like a book it should be obvious something is wrong with her.

In addition to that the two veteran supers are a bit too passive given that they are the only characters that frequently interact with the two. Apparently Galaxy Girl isn't in on the while double agent thing so her dislike of Serena seems genuine. But with Hannah - she's ridiculously distant. Especially after the incident where Hannah got the drop on her, someone should have talked to her. They're giving these women kryptonian-level superpowers and then ignore any red flag and their training apparently doesn't involve any kind of pep talk. In story, there were all the preparations in the world to make sure that only the pure of heart got chosen,
And if Galaxy Girl is just a very very bad teacher - then why doesn't Hannah have anybody else to talk to? For Serena it makes sense to be kind of a loner, but for Hannah? She'd be the kind of person to have a bff that could ground Hannah in reality.

Another point would be the utter destruction of the 4th wall. I don't like it when sites and avatars are mentioned in story (unless it's a Christmas story) but the setup here is getting more problematic now:
Chapter 2:
In-universe audience: Didn't see anything from the girls - the efforts they put into training was all that could have possibly been shown.
Real audience: Saw even the thoughts of the characters, even though that at times was not all there was to it. Didn't stray far from what was known until then,

In-universe audience: Saw Hannah make some sexy pictures of herself to get out of her shell - and maybe they were shown the situation with Galaxy Girl Reality-TV style.
Real audience: Saw Hannah's frustration grow, her thoughts going into darker places and her even contemplating working with a supervillain to get what she needs.

So Hannah pulling ahead can only be interpreted as "Sex sells!" in story and could help in Hannah turning herself around and be the goody two-shoes again - with a bit sexier clothing. The actual audience might vote for her because they want a bad girl - just like they wanted it with Serena. So even though the same poll results are used, the characters cannot use the same interpretation for the results.

For power levels it might be a good idea to get rid of the 1:1 relation between votes and power. In some RPGs the price for stats increase the higher the stats are, Getting from 50 to 60 might cost 10 points, but getting from 100 to 110 might cost 20 ...
And probably there could be a factor to even out the number of votes in total - the number of votes may be higher due to the holiday season and will probably drop. Maybe some explanation that the machines can only deploy so much energy and the excess is stored for later use. Could become a plot point later.

Nice to see some in-depth and constructive feedback at this level. HikerAngel is doing a great job, but nothing is better for an author than detailed, critical feedback. It is literally the most valuable thing in the world.  

I'm not so sure about the whole voting thing. As an author, I like to tell my story, and writing what's essentially a commissioned story (minus any money) isn't something I've ever tried. I'm too attached to my own imagination. But this is an interesting new phenomena to watch, and it certainly seems to be wildly popular with some of the readers. At the very least it's an interesting experiment, and it might turn out to be an enduring style of writing. Kudos for HikerAngel to embrace it to developed it and see where it goes. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
31 Dec 2019 23:52 - 01 Jan 2020 00:08 #66159 by HikerAngel
Thanks, Shadar!

This is definitely an interesting experience! I write flash fiction stories and/or poetry to prompts in short time frames (usually 24-48 hours) regularly for contests on writing.com, so I'm used to the short turnaround or writing to the prompts/ideas of others. Those are complete stories, however, and don't evolve with changing prompts as this one essentially is.

I've written stories based on the ideas of others (Lucho a couple of times here) and a Flowers for Algernon-ish commissioned story (with $$ for once!) that will go up here on Sunday, called Human Clay. Again, however, those were defined from the outset.

This one is unique in that I have some control over where it is going, but the voters do as well. It is truly a give-and-take interactive experience. I have to say that it is tremendous fun. I knew that I would upset some people with the twist in the last episode, but it felt right from a storytelling perspective as well as an interest-maintenance perspective, so I just HAD to go for it! Sometimes, I'm overly ambitious and my ideas outpace my writing ability, but... what the hell, right? Damn-the-torpedoes is the only way to roll. :)

Anyway, I love the feedback, guys, so keep it coming... even if I don't use it in this story, I'm listening, and I will likely use it in the future. The more I know what everyone likes, the more I can get right.

Happy New Year, everyone, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading and participating...
Last edit: 01 Jan 2020 00:08 by HikerAngel.

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
01 Jan 2020 13:09 #66164 by HikerAngel

njae wrote: Gotta admit, I didn't see this twist coming, but I also am not fully happy with it. It nicely explains how Serena got to be one of the Two, as she had it too easy before.

Chapter 2:

I just had an idea that will help with both the voting shift and the Hannah transition. It solves both potential problems, I think. Can’t wait to use it in part 4! I just had to remember that the story is about fame... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: guimachajo1

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
01 Jan 2020 14:06 #66167 by Whatever

That "reallyverytoughium" thing was a placeholder as I wrote to put in something else, but I forgot to replace it in the first episode, so I continued to roll with it. I kinda like it now...

I found it quite refreshing, please keep it! These nods and winks to the audience really sell the story for me. They set it apart from other stories as much as the voting does and gives it a unique voice to be enjoyed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, HikerAngel

More
01 Jan 2020 17:21 #66170 by HikerAngel

Whatever wrote: I found it quite refreshing, please keep it! These nods and winks to the audience really sell the story for me. They set it apart from other stories as much as the voting does and gives it a unique voice to be enjoyed.

Thank you so much!

I’m glad you like the fourth-wall-smashing nature of this one... I do too! I’ve started writing episode 4, and I think that you guys are really going to like Hannah in this one. Ultraman might be the one who’s sore after this next sparring session, and there may be some... other developments. I really love this interactivity with the readers—makes it so much fun to write!

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
02 Jan 2020 15:19 - 02 Jan 2020 15:20 #66183 by HikerAngel
Votes are locked in! The U.S. Congress suspects that there may have been some Russian interference in this round of voting, since the power votes exceeded the costume votes by a gazillion, but the alien devices don't care. A vote's a vote! If whoever took the trouble to rally that many votes wants an über-powerful girl, then they shall have her!

HANNAH
POWER RND 1 RND 2 RND 3 TOTAL
Strength14392377768842
Invulnerability14348077768399
Speed3610140624199
Flight362940624127
Laser Eyes251132023238
X-Ray Eyes251532023242
Superbreath252032023247
Telepathy542428202898
Telekinesis541828202892
Total54116213892241084

SERENA
POWER RND 1 RND 2 RND 3 TOTAL
Strength268152311832974
Invulnerability26845211831903
Speed7493710082019
Flight7438310081465
Laser Eyes5183111245
X-Ray Eyes5182111244
Superbreath5189111251
Telepathy16248180723
Telekinesis16237480616
Total11614404487510440

Uniform voting

HANNAH
Back in Black    (WINNER!!!) 278
White and Gold77
Powergirl134
The Thief7
Psycho Jester14
The Queen of the Seas7
The Classic12
The Pants14
White and Gold Old School12

SERENA
The Return281
Psychic Ninja26
The Patriot9
A Classic for the 2000s137
Warrior Princess13
Catsuit Spy    (WINNER!!!) 327
Warrior Queen10
Old School Princess4
Hotpants Jester4

Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 15:20 by HikerAngel.

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
02 Jan 2020 15:33 #66184 by HikerAngel
The twist was designed to keep things closer for longer, but, um, that didn't happen. Oh well. I can work with this!

I'm actually thinking that the story will have seven total episodes, now that I"m getting a sense for how the power votes will go. I'm starting to form a gameplan for the next two episodes. You never know, though, I could definitely be surprised.

I have absolutely no idea how the vote that I'm planning for episode 6 will turn out, however, which will ultimately decide the course of the story's ending.

I'm right there with the readers in many ways, wondering how this will turn out! So much fun... ;)

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
02 Jan 2020 15:50 - 02 Jan 2020 16:22 #66185 by Whatever
I'm fairly surprised that Serena still managed a formidable vote herself given how it looked last time I checked. She basically doubled her power total!

But holy moses, Hannah really ran away with it. In comparison, the margin is so large one could practically forget Serena is super, too. 

Come to think of it,  might it be prudent to give Hannah and Serena some power that is unique to them? I know that this goes against the main dynamic of the story somewhat, so I certainly don't want to suggest anything too powerful in a way of direct comparison- but something befitting their unique approach to being super. Something the other can't/ won't replicate? 
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 16:22 by Whatever.

More
02 Jan 2020 18:26 #66189 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic SuperStarter
Damn! That's one huge swing! Will be interesting to see how powerful Hannah becomes and how Serena will make a comeback.

More
02 Jan 2020 18:51 #66190 by njae
Replied by njae on topic SuperStarter
Wow, those results are quite extreme. Serena's votes were quite similar but Hannah's literally exploded. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a bot voting going on there somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smoki07, HikerAngel

• njae
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Jan 2020 20:13 - 02 Jan 2020 20:15 #66192 by Revan

njae wrote: Wow, those results are quite extreme. Serena's votes were quite similar but Hannah's literally exploded. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a bot voting going on there somehow.

Was wondering that myself tbh, seems like a lot of traffic for just 4 days compared to previous weeks, plus the gap between costume and power votes is enormous.
Or the site has a lot more lurkers than I guessed. 
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 20:15 by Revan.

More
02 Jan 2020 23:57 - 02 Jan 2020 23:58 #66204 by HikerAngel

Whatever wrote: Come to think of it,  might it be prudent to give Hannah and Serena some power that is unique to them? I know that this goes against the main dynamic of the story somewhat, so I certainly don't want to suggest anything too powerful in a way of direct comparison- but something befitting their unique approach to being super. Something the other can't/ won't replicate? 

That's a really good idea, but I'm pretty far along with these powers and have some ideas for the rest of the story at this point. If you don't mind, though, I would like to use that idea in a future story... :)

Njae and Revan, I think you may be correct. Someone apparently REALLY wanted Hannah to be powerful for this upcoming episode. (She will be!)

To the creator of the bot-thing that was willing to put that much effort into changing the voting, if you're reading this: I could write a story just for you, just how you want it, you know. I take commissions... (hint, hint)

Kidding, of course.

Kinda.

Okay, not really--you got me!

:)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 23:58 by HikerAngel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Revan

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
03 Jan 2020 02:06 - 03 Jan 2020 02:09 #66206 by HikerAngel
Okay, part 4 is submitted for posting Sunday. I tried to help Woodclaw by attempting to format this one. I can't even figure out how to tab-indent paragraphs in the editing tool! I fear I made his job even harder by attempting to help.

Did I say how much I appreciate your help taking my jumbled mess of text and making it look pretty? If I haven't recently, then THANK YOU!!! (Unfortunately, I'm probably the worst maintenance problem he's got among the wonderful authors on this site.)

Last time, I just had a jumble of links to costume pictures, which he arranged into something that looked really good.

Anyway, I thought I'd paste in the first couple of paragraphs as a teaser for the next episode... ;)

The pleasure that flowed into Serena was quickly overwhelmed by the cries of rapture that rang inside her mind…

...from Hannah!

Serena forced her eyes open to see what was happening.

Hannah’s back was bowed, every muscle in her body contracting at once. She tensed her arms and legs, which erupted with slim, defined muscle. A golden glow emanated from her body as it shook with the massive influx of power that she was absorbing, far more than either girl had experienced to this point.

Hannah let out a high-pitched scream as she quivered with the unbelievable amount of energy flowing through her. Her cry sent a shockwave through the stadium.

“My God!” said Serena aloud.

As Hannah’s body began to change, Serena was, for the first time, in awe of another woman. Serena knew that her own body was beyond gorgeous. She also knew that she couldn’t hold a candle to the goddess she saw on the platform across from her.

Hannah was flawless. Her impossibly thick, vibrant, shimmering hair swirled around her, seeming to defy gravity. Her eyes were closed, her insanely long eyelashes fluttering with the aftershocks of what Serena knew was rapture beyond imagining—she could feel the overwhelming echoes of it in her own mind through her telepathic connection with the younger girl.

Hannah’s complexion radiated healthy, tanned perfection. Her lips parted as she gulped air, the nubile beauty breathing heavily as she recovered from the assimilation of the most powerful surge of energy ever unleashed on earth.

Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 02:09 by HikerAngel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan, Lulu

• HikerAngel
  • Legend of SWM
  • Legend of SWM
More
03 Jan 2020 04:42 #66207 by barber
Replied by barber on topic SuperStarter
Maybe Superstarter is about fame. Maybe it's about how many obese nerds you can convince to lick the Cheetos off their hands and write a voting bot. I guess that's a kind of fame.

More
03 Jan 2020 09:17 #66209 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic SuperStarter

HikerAngel wrote: Okay, part 4 is submitted for posting Sunday. I tried to help Woodclaw by attempting to format this one. I can't even figure out how to tab-indent paragraphs in the editing tool! I fear I made his job even harder by attempting to help.

Thank you for trying. There is just no way to add the indent through the normal editor functions, it's something I add by working on the code by hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, HikerAngel

More
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds