Amount

Fall 2020 SWM Workshop announcement and questions

26 Sep 2020 14:27 #69306 by Woodclaw
Well, it has been a while... a long while in fact!
For those unfamiliar with our writing workshops, here is the gist: it's a simple workshop/contest where we challenge all of you to create a story matching a particular theme or idea. We had a lot of them in the past, long and short, silly and serious. To be perfectly honest we ran out of ideas a while ago and some writers felt intimidated in measuring up to some big names... so we dropped the ball.
Over this last year and a half something great happened: the site got an influx of new writers and this prompted us to think back about the workshops once again, but (to give credit where credit is due) it was Tsuper's intervention that gave us that last push.

So, without any further delay, we officially announce:
The SWM 2020 Fall workshop

Theme: Turning into a Superwoman.
As for the "rules", here they are
  1. Each entry MUST contain a scene of a character turning into a supergirl, costume included.
  2. No entry can be longer than 10,000 words.
  3. Each author may submit up to three separate entries.
  4. All characters must be over the age of 18.
  5. SWM reserves the right to withhold and/or disqualify submitted entries based on their sole discretion of the content.
  6. Entries must be received no later than November 6th, 2020 at 11:59 pm GMT.  SWM, however, reserves the right to grant reasonable deadline extensions.
  7. Once submitted, entries will be voted on by the SWM user via an online poll.
If you have any questions or need any clarifications, you can contact Woodclaw or Larafan via a private message or post them in this very thread..

Good luck to all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa, Albais, fats, Markiehoe, JpHr3, Monty, TheOne25, HikerAngel, Rjjt456
The topic has been locked.
  • Woodclaw
  • Woodclaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
26 Sep 2020 22:17 #69315 by YAGS
Wow. It has been a while. 

I've been motivated lately to get back into writing, and finish up some of my old stories. But... I have no story ideas that go along with this workshop theme. And with all of my half-completed stories that I've been meaning to get back to, I think I need to focus on those for a while. So I'm out.

But I do hope this gets people involved and results in lots of entries. Take it from someone who didn't think I was good enough when I entered some of the workshops WAY back in the day: The only way you'll become good enough is by trying. This is a great opportunity to get a lot of people to read your stories and give you feedback. And you might just be surprised by how well received your story ends up being. So anyone who would even remotely consider joining, I highly recommend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rjjt456
More
27 Sep 2020 06:50 #69334 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Fall 2020 SWM Workshop announcement and questions
Is there any special procedure for submitting our entries, or do we just dump them in the general story submission slot?
More
27 Sep 2020 09:23 #69340 by Dumano1r
I've got an idea forming in my head. I'll need to sit down and focus for a bit... 
More
27 Sep 2020 10:48 #69343 by Woodclaw

jumperprime wrote: Is there any special procedure for submitting our entries, or do we just dump them in the general story submission slot?

Good point, usually we have a special link in the Library menu. I need to look into it.
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Sep 2020 13:25 #69344 by YAGS

YAGS wrote: I've been motivated lately to get back into writing, and finish up some of my old stories. But... I have no story ideas that go along with this workshop theme. And with all of my half-completed stories that I've been meaning to get back to, I think I need to focus on those for a while. So I'm out.

After some thinking, I realized that I actually have a story idea that's been rattling around in my head for years that might qualify for this theme. The key word there is "might". It depends on one key detail.

Woodclaw wrote: 1. Each entry MUST contain a scene of a character turning into a supergirl, costume included.

Define the word "costume".

Specifically, take a look at my previous story, 21st Century Magic: Do You Really Think You're Worthy of Me? (either version), which coincidentally was originally written for one of these workshops back in 2006. In it, a girl is magically transformed, gaining superpowers, self confidence, and a sexy new outfit all at the same time. But I wouldn't normally refer to that outfit as a costume. Would that story count for the theme of this workshop?

I've had an idea for a sequel to that story from the time I first wrote it. If that would count towards this workshop theme, then the sequel might count, too. Although the clothing change was only a minor part of the original story that I wasn't planning to repeat in the sequel, so maybe the sequel still wouldn't count for this workshop theme. But for the sake of being able to enter the workshop, I might be coaxed into including a similar clothing change in the new story.
More
27 Sep 2020 14:30 #69346 by Woodclaw

YAGS wrote:

Woodclaw wrote: 1. Each entry MUST contain a scene of a character turning into a supergirl, costume included.

Define the word "costume".

Specifically, take a look at my previous story, 21st Century Magic: Do You Really Think You're Worthy of Me? (either version), which coincidentally was originally written for one of these workshops back in 2006. In it, a girl is magically transformed, gaining superpowers, self confidence, and a sexy new outfit all at the same time. But I wouldn't normally refer to that outfit as a costume. Would that story count for the theme of this workshop?

I've had an idea for a sequel to that story from the time I first wrote it. If that would count towards this workshop theme, then the sequel might count, too. Although the clothing change was only a minor part of the original story that I wasn't planning to repeat in the sequel, so maybe the sequel still wouldn't count for this workshop theme. But for the sake of being able to enter the workshop, I might be coaxed into including a similar clothing change in the new story.

The exact definition is up for debate, but in general I consider a costume an outfit that is unique and iconic to a specific character or archetype. For example, usually I don't consider dominatrix gear to be a valid example, unless you consider Emma Frost and Selene (the White and Black Queens of the Hellfire Club).
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Sep 2020 17:53 #69349 by Albais
Well good question. For answer that let's go to the previous Theat that started this Workshop in the own words of tsuper:

"I wanted to start a workshop the idea being stories in which people are turned into superheroines. Like maybe a woman is turned into supergirl because of a  magic comic book. Or a college girl becomes powergirl due to a science experiment gone wrongThe only rule is the transformation has to give the ordinary person powers and a costume."

Which obviouly means what it clearly means to me, just see the 2 examples on for see how it goes the whole thing...
More
27 Sep 2020 18:18 #69350 by YAGS
Ok, I guess I'm back out then. Not much difference, as I'm a slow writer, and probably wouldn't finish a story in time for such a short deadline, anyway. Why only a month and a half?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw
More
27 Sep 2020 18:18 #69351 by shadar
As I see it, a costume shouldn't have to be iconic if the character isn't iconic. But it should be startling and eye-catching given the character. 

Supergirl wears a tiny skirt and a cape because she flies overhead, causing everyone to look up, and her costume is both perfect for that while also suggesting her cousin's powers.

But what if the character's superpower was the ability to uncover evidence to solve crimes or win the freedom of an innocent man?

I give you SuperLawyer and her costume, which would be both eye-candy and astounding in a court of law. It's not an iconic costume, but I think it qualifies as a costume if the story and character match. 

Anyway, just thinking out loud...

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Sep 2020 18:19 #69352 by Albais

Albais wrote: Well good question. For answer that let's go to the previous Theat that started this Workshop in the own words of tsuper:

"I wanted to start a workshop the idea being stories in which people are turned into superheroines. Like maybe a woman is turned into supergirl because of a  magic comic book. Or a college girl becomes powergirl due to a science experiment gone wrongThe only rule is the transformation has to give the ordinary person powers and a costume."

Which obviouly means what it clearly means to me, just see the 2 examples on for see how it goes the whole thing...

And for being more clear with Pics instead of words here we got 4 examples from same artist on DA:

www.deviantart.com/zorro-zero/art/Superg...sformation-829235610

www.deviantart.com/zorro-zero/art/The-Su...Superwoman-832580500

www.deviantart.com/zorro-zero/art/Wonderful-Wonder-835457988

www.deviantart.com/zorro-zero/art/Shazam...sformation-841022586
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw
More
27 Sep 2020 18:44 #69353 by Rjjt456
The pictures do have the “spirit” of the workshop over them.
More
27 Sep 2020 20:28 #69354 by Woodclaw
Thanks Albais.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albais
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Sep 2020 20:32 #69355 by Albais

Woodclaw wrote: Thanks Albais.

You're totally welcome Woodclaw...
More
28 Sep 2020 01:15 #69363 by rednecko
I have a first draft story that I would like someone to look at before I submit. It is a superheroine story, but not sure whether it would work in this workshop. How would I submit this for review? 
More
28 Sep 2020 02:59 #69364 by algae2k
For proofreading, you can PM me.
More
28 Sep 2020 21:29 #69380 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Fall 2020 SWM Workshop announcement and questions
I might actually be able to bodge something together into an entry and I think I might give it a try.
  • The Highlander
  • Away
More
28 Sep 2020 22:17 - 28 Sep 2020 22:18 #69381 by tsuper
I can look at it if you want I came up with the idea for this workshop.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2020 22:18 by tsuper.
More
04 Oct 2020 20:49 #69449 by tsuper
Where do we go to view the entries
More
04 Oct 2020 21:38 #69450 by Rjjt456

tsuper wrote: Where do we go to view the entries

The entries will likely first be available when the deadline has been meet. Then the voting process will begin. I don’t know any specifics, since that is more a question for Woodclaw or Elf.
More
04 Oct 2020 22:10 #69452 by Woodclaw

tsuper wrote: Where do we go to view the entries

As usual, all the entries will be added to the main library and to a dedicated section. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll add a module to the main page that links directly to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mastadon, Rjjt456
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Oct 2020 08:35 #69479 by Albais
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Woodclaw, slim36, algae2k, Ravens_ghost, rednecko, Woody, Rjjt456
More
11 Oct 2020 15:26 - 11 Oct 2020 15:27 #69481 by rednecko
I have a story ready to submit towards the Workshop. What is the best way to submit? Should I do it through the regular form and say it’s towards the workshop or another means?
Last edit: 11 Oct 2020 15:27 by rednecko.
More
11 Oct 2020 15:50 #69482 by Woodclaw

rednecko wrote: I have a story ready to submit towards the Workshop. What is the best way to submit? Should I do it through the regular form and say it’s towards the workshop or another means?

You can upload it via the normal submission system, but you should add a [Fall 2020 Workshop] note before the title.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rjjt456
  • Woodclaw
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Oct 2020 18:06 #69574 by The Highlander
Replied by The Highlander on topic Fall 2020 SWM Workshop announcement and questions
I’ve just submitted my finished story, could someone checkto make sure everything has gone through ok (I’ve not used the current upload system
before)? Also the woman in it doesn’t transform directly into a superwoman but
changes several times over the story getting stronger each time eventually ending
up with a costume and full superpowers. Is this ok for this contest?
  • The Highlander
  • Away
More
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds