Amount

SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!

27 Feb 2012 21:48 #26387 by lfan
After an extended haitus, I'm somewhat back in the saddle and now taking back the reins of the SWMW! Based upon their nose-to-nose victory in the last story contest, GeekSeven (aka DietSnapple) and JKIJ (aka LMNOP) have come to an agreement for the next long theme, and it will be "Missed Opportunities: SGI Workshop Themes reloaded".

In Missed Opportunities: SGI Workshop Themes reloaded, the theme is to let the previous Workshop themes be reused, meaning that every entry has to follow at least one of the old themes. This also gives the authors a lot of freedom.

There have been 15 long story workshops so far, and ignoring the two workshops of recent that used the SWM Name, this still leaves 13 themes (thanks to NJAE for compiling this list):

SGI Workshop 1.1: short story based on any of the twenty (20) "I Wish I Was Super Too" gallery pics (or a similar situation with a comic book character).
SGI Workshop 1.2: Ubergirl vs. Army
SGI Workshop 1.4: Someone gets superpowers and this makes someone else upset
SGI Workshop 1.5: An individual/group/organisation possesses/creates/obtains a weapon which he/she/they believe can bring down an ubergirl.
SGI Workshop 1.6: A Superwoman changes sides Good <==> Bad
SGI Workshop 1.7: Sibling Rivalry
SGI Workshop 1.8: In a world of superheroes and villains (original or published comic universe, your choice), an ubergirl obtains even more power than anyone else.
SGI Workshop 1.9: To Be Continued! Try your hand at writing a sequel/continuation to an SWM or ubergirl classic piece of fiction -- whether it be your own or someone else's
SGI Workshop 1.10: Tales of the Transformatrix ... stories set in the world of SWM's interactive saga "Transformatrix 4000."
SGI Workshop 1.11: "If YOU were hired as a writer to fill-in during the strike, spin YOUR favorite ubergirl tale in any series you like"
SGI Workshop 1.12: Villainess Month
SGI Workshop 1.13: National Supergirl

Submissions are due by the end of April (April 30th) for posting all together shortly thereafter. As with all SWMW's, all stories must contain an "ubergirl" character and please no underage stuff....Of course once the entries are submitted, we'll vote on the best and crown the winner for overall bragging rights. The winner will be able to choose the next topic as well as win an original art pinup of the winner's 'creation' (artist selected and complexity of pinup subject to approval by SWM and the author)

Let's fill in some missed opportunities, people!

In the meantime, I will be getting together with both the winners on their commissioned artwork piece prizes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Feb 2012 23:53 #26388 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
Welcome back Lfan.

Is the shortstory workshop going to run parallel to this one or will it start at the end of April?

More
28 Feb 2012 02:02 #26389 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
This is going to be really interesting. Hopefully we will see many submissions and a lot of different themes.

More
28 Feb 2012 12:23 #26391 by deathgeonous
Replied by deathgeonous on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
Quick question do we still have access to the original 20 I Wish I Was Super Too pics? And so, where are they?

More
28 Feb 2012 18:23 #26395 by njae

deathgeonous wrote: Quick question do we still have access to the original 20 I Wish I Was Super Too pics? And so, where are they?

Some of them should be here in the gallery. Then again there's always the wayback machine:

Page 1
Page 2

Even though some of the pics are missing, the descriptions help a lot ;)

Now, which of the 13 topics shall I choose?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

More
29 Feb 2012 02:30 - 29 Feb 2012 03:33 #26399 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus
Replied by Ordo Cabaal Templarus on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
I think I am going to do this one. It's been a very long time, and everything is in it's place. I am writing on the 1.5 workshop theme.

I mean seriously, everyone can't have too much ways to have kryptonite, can they?

Also, I will be doing as many workshops as I can because I consider my entire time here missed Opportunities time and time again. I'm back, and I'm going to do them all eventually.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 03:33 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus. Reason: Expanding post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobarsos

• Ordo Cabaal Templarus
More
29 Feb 2012 08:38 #26402 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
If anybody is looking for the thread that spawned 1.12 "Villainess Month", it is here.

superwomenmania.com/index.php?option=com...&id=14969&Itemid=128

If memory serves, workshop participants chose one of the 10/11 villainess types to write about.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: njae

More
29 Feb 2012 20:40 - 29 Feb 2012 20:46 #26405 by njae
I just noticed that the theme for 1.3 is missing in the list:

SGI Workshop 1.3: Ubergirl vs. Ubergirl

Ordo Cabaal Templarus wrote: I think I am going to do this one. It's been a very long time, and everything is in it's place. I am writing on the 1.5 workshop theme.

I mean seriously, everyone can't have too much ways to have kryptonite, can they?

Also, I will be doing as many workshops as I can because I consider my entire time here missed Opportunities time and time again. I'm back, and I'm going to do them all eventually.

Do you mean that you try to include as many themes as possible into one story or are you talking about multiple stories?

Since I've a hard time deciding for the theme I'm going for, I'll just use the next theme suggested here in this thread. As long as it is one of the workshops 1.2 to 1.8 (1.9 would be tempting too, but I can already see me taking the easy way and posting a continuation I would've submitted anyway).
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 20:46 by njae.

More
01 Mar 2012 06:27 #26408 by inactive
I'm really not sure what I'm going to do.

I have a couple of partial stories, one of which is an unauthorized sequel and therefore would be a good fit for 1.9, and another could kind of be 1.6, although it's less Good <==> Bad as it is Good <==> Selfish.

The random number generator at www.random.org/ gave me 4, but nothing is sparking on that theme at the moment.

I guess I'll see if I get the energy to write (maybe once this city stops trying to kill my lungs) and find out what comes out of it.

- GeekSeven

More
01 Mar 2012 15:05 #26410 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
Hi people,
I'm not going into details, but yestarday life kicked me into the balls again. I'm trying to get better, so I'll probably write something for a change.
SInce I already participated into some of these Workshops (10 and 12), those are out of question. A long time ago I tried to write a piece for number 5, but it was really horrible.

I'm going to try again with number 5 or 6 (7 as a distant third option). Wish me luck.

More
05 Mar 2012 05:44 #26428 by inactive
Okay, I just submitted a silly little story called 'The Pitch' which tries to reference all 13 workshop ideas, although I took liberties with some of them.

It's not a workshop entry, just a bit of fun.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, njae

More
05 Mar 2012 14:16 #26434 by njae
New stories are always a good thing ;)

More
05 Mar 2012 15:14 #26436 by Woodclaw

DietSnapple71 wrote: Okay, I just submitted a silly little story called 'The Pitch' which tries to reference all 13 workshop ideas, although I took liberties with some of them.

It's not a workshop entry, just a bit of fun.

I think this is the craziest (in a good sense) thing I've read in a while.

More
07 Mar 2012 00:29 #26447 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
I loved the little story. It brought a big smile to my face. Thank you for sharing the silliness.

More
09 Mar 2012 23:30 #26482 by Ordo Cabaal Templarus
Replied by Ordo Cabaal Templarus on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
To clarify, I am writing a series of shorts with at least one or more around each theme thus far. I will be expand on theme later on, but each one is a like a short independant college film making lesson before each becomes a full project. So I am working on the prep before going to the courses.

In other words, yeah, multiple stories that will be expanded upon later on. My theme is 'Missed Opportunities' and so I will go through all of them short by short before I go long for Long.

• Ordo Cabaal Templarus
More
10 Mar 2012 00:23 #26483 by njae

njae wrote: Since I've a hard time deciding for the theme I'm going for, I'll just use the next theme suggested here in this thread. As long as it is one of the workshops 1.2 to 1.8 (1.9 would be tempting too, but I can already see me taking the easy way and posting a continuation I would've submitted anyway).

Nobody answered to this, so I'm going with the first fitting theme mentioned afterwards:

I have a couple of partial stories, one of which is an unauthorized sequel and therefore would be a good fit for 1.9, and another could kind of be 1.6, although it's less Good <==> Bad as it is Good <==> Selfish.

That would be 1.6 (Changing sides). As mentioned before I already plan to continue the one series I have so far, so 1.9 doesn't fit here. So unless nobody posts that I should continue his story withing the next 24hrs, I'll stick with 1.6.

More
25 Apr 2012 13:55 #27067 by Woodclaw
Hey guy, I'm posting this to remind you that there are only 5 days left for the workshops entries. So we might have to make a recap.

I'm working on mine, but I fear it won't be ready in time.

I'll post it anyway when ready.

Who else have wrote something?

More
25 Apr 2012 14:53 #27068 by njae
Yeah, the steadily approaching deadline worked wonders on my motivation.

I'm almost 5000 words in and not sure if I'll be able to wrap the story up nicely or have to use some kind of cliffhanger. I'll post what I finished until then, though.

More
25 Apr 2012 18:38 #27069 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
Almost to completion but must be frank up front. Intended to pursue a certain theme (sibling rivalry) - but as it's taken its course, well, the theme became a bit tangental at best. Happy to submit but won't complain if disqualified.

Think it's worth publication on the site, but.

cheers to all.

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde

More
25 Apr 2012 19:14 #27070 by inactive

Rip Harden wrote: Almost to completion but must be frank up front. Intended to pursue a certain theme (sibling rivalry) - but as it's taken its course, well, the theme became a bit tangental at best. Happy to submit but won't complain if disqualified.

cheers to all.

The workshop theme is broad and we're pretty easy-going. I think you'll be fine!

Mine is completed and submitted. Thank goodness, because I have run out of steam this week...

- GeekSeven

More
25 Apr 2012 21:33 #27071 by njae

DietSnapple71 wrote:

Rip Harden wrote: Almost to completion but must be frank up front. Intended to pursue a certain theme (sibling rivalry) - but as it's taken its course, well, the theme became a bit tangental at best. Happy to submit but won't complain if disqualified.

cheers to all.

The workshop theme is broad and we're pretty easy-going. I think you'll be fine!

Mine is completed and submitted. Thank goodness, because I have run out of steam this week...

Already submitted? Now I have to pick up the pace!

More
25 Apr 2012 23:29 #27072 by JKIJ
Replied by JKIJ on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
I'm working on my entry and hope to get it done in time, though work-related problems have kept me from devoting as much time to it as I'd like (though on the plus side it has meant that I've got quite a few stories to catch up on when I can). This weekend will see if I can get it completely ready on time. If I can't I'll submit it when it is ready.

More
26 Apr 2012 00:40 #27073 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
TO RIPHARDEN:
happy to see yu again write :) just wanting to know if yu are close to post other stories on browna as usual, maybe continuation of my fav story (Connie :) or others.
Thanks a lot
Ennio

More
26 Apr 2012 05:23 #27074 by Rip Harden
Replied by Rip Harden on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
Ahh, my friend from Italy. As my first completed story in six months nears fruition I can tell you that it has been something of a release just concentrating on strength and powers rather than being bogged down with the muscle descriptors that so dominate stories on Brawna.

If you've read any of the 'Strength in Numbers' series I'm sure you will enjoy a 'new' tale on Jenna, Jessica and Susie, albeit written in a style more familiar to the offerings of this site. And as for Connie? Well, I hope one day I'll finish a sequel I've started on her but for now it's just back to 'baby steps' and my favourite superwomen from down Texas way!

cheers

"Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable." - Oscar Wilde
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

More
27 Apr 2012 04:52 #27079 by SHTL
Replied by SHTL on topic Re: SWM Workshop "Spring 2012" is ON!!!
Thank yu for the quick reply Rip; so, if i well understand, upcoming stories from yu will always be posted here rather then on Brawna that is a good thing for me.
Cheers,
Ennio

More
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds