Amount

Spring 2017 workshop announcement

22 May 2017 14:41 #54224 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement
Just trying to rile you up in a bid to get you to enter.

But if that doesn't work, a sincere plea for you to put something out there...ws or not....will have to do
The following user(s) said Thank You: algae2k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2017 08:16 #54247 by njae
Replied by njae on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement
I appreciate the attempt, but I don't see that happening. While I do break my "I am just a lurker here" rule more often than not lately, I did remove myself as a writer from the site and this step is painfully irreversible.

But hey, at least I share my DAZ results here.

More
24 May 2017 05:59 #54268 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement
As Simon and Garfunkle used to say, "I can gather all the news I need on the weather report." Change "weather report" to "hit meter" and I am completely content. If 2000 plus folks are reading my stories here I know that at least some of them must be enjoying them or they would not waste their time reading them.

More
24 May 2017 12:20 #54271 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement

ace191 wrote: As Simon and Garfunkle used to say, "I can gather all the news I need on the weather report." Change "weather report" to "hit meter" and I am completely content. If 2000 plus folks are reading my stories here I know that at least some of them must be enjoying them or they would not waste their time reading them.

One of your stories "They're All Mine Now" has over thirteen THOUSAND hits.

Fats

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 May 2017 12:59 - 24 May 2017 13:05 #54272 by njae

ace191 wrote: As Simon and Garfunkle used to say, "I can gather all the news I need on the weather report." Change "weather report" to "hit meter" and I am completely content. If 2000 plus folks are reading my stories here I know that at least some of them must be enjoying them or they would not waste their time reading them.

Not sure this was directed at me, but I paid a lot of attention to this back in the day. It was very much dependent on the time a story spent in the ticker for example. 2000 is a rather low number, and I did have several stories below that back in the day.

The hit counter is still visible? I remember it being removed from public visiblity together with the list type "classic" view on the stories that I had re-introduced back in 2012.
Last edit: 24 May 2017 13:05 by njae.

More
24 May 2017 18:14 #54283 by ace191
Yea, I was directing it at you. If you look under stories by author it lists the hits so it is very easy to check your own stories. To some extent, the amount of time the story is in the bank determines the hits as does who the author is and how good the story is. Typically, a month or two after a workshop ends I will have 1500 to 3000 hits on it and then it slowly goes up over town.

More
24 May 2017 18:15 #54284 by ace191
Over time.

More
24 May 2017 18:50 #54286 by ace191
Last spring, DKC was a little down on the workshop. He had like 15000 words written and had stopped working on it. I told him that I had a great idea for a story and that I had 10000 words written and since he had 15 k I was going to 15k. He went to 20 k so I went to 25k and he went to 35k. It was game on !
And yes I know the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over
(Like trying to beat DKC) and expecting a different outcome. It was a blast. In retrospect, I think if I had written 5k less words and polished the story up better I might have been able to win.
I had about 2600 hits after around 2 months. Let's look at the hit meter now.
5227 Crimson High
5179 Supergirl and Superwoman
4948. 15 minutes of Fame

Just the fact that over 5000 folks have read my story and that I am hanging in
With DKC's story makes me very happy and even though I lose every time, I get a little better. Maybe someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, kshoo

More
24 May 2017 19:30 #54287 by njae
I'm not sure if writing an entry as long as possible is the right kind of motivation. Actually it FORCES the hit counter up because the story can't be read in a single setting. Series also benefit from it as older entries get frequently re-hit when a new chapter comes out, at least that's my explanation for my first chapter having the most hits of all my stories, which still pales compared to the many stories who manage more without that boost.

And if memory serves right these three stories you mention all outrank my best workshop entry in terms of hits. Given that this was also my first workshop entry this means it grew for four years and still be overtaken by that. Funny considering that story also won it's contest ... against d_k_c. Trying to repeat that was rather soul-crushing.

More
25 May 2017 01:47 #54290 by ace191
Let me tell you about soul crushing. Years ago Argo and I poured our hearts and souls along with our wallets into a major work, TSOS. I was sure that that we were going to win, right up to the moment that I read "Birthright" by LFAN and CF. I knew it would be close (which I think it was) but I also knew that they were going to win which they did.

I almost won by default once, but I think it was DKC who put in an entry just under the deadline.

More
25 May 2017 08:24 #54292 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement

ace191 wrote: Let me tell you about soul crushing. Years ago Argo and I poured our hearts and souls along with our wallets into a major work, TSOS. I was sure that that we were going to win, right up to the moment that I read "Birthright" by LFAN and CF. I knew it would be close (which I think it was) but I also knew that they were going to win which they did.

I almost won by default once, but I think it was DKC who put in an entry just under the deadline.

I'll have to check, but I don't think DKC partipated to the team assignment workshop.

More
26 May 2017 00:37 #54299 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement
I may vote dkc if he promises to showcase the costume again on his significant other. :)

Seriously though, I will read them all first.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
26 May 2017 12:14 #54303 by njae

ace191 wrote: Let me tell you about soul crushing. Years ago Argo and I poured our hearts and souls along with our wallets into a major work, TSOS. I was sure that that we were going to win, right up to the moment that I read "Birthright" by LFAN and CF. I knew it would be close (which I think it was) but I also knew that they were going to win which they did.

We seem to have different definitions of soul crushing. Reading a rival story and finding it on par or better than your own story, which is then mirrored in the poll results sounds rather fair and motivating to me. For what it's worth, TSOS is the better known story in hindsight.

My experience was quite different and I came to believe that the poll was more like a popularity vote for the authors involved rather than a vote on the stories. When authors can win with stories that are among the worst they produced (not going into detail here, I had more than enough trouble through that already) then it's hard to believe that the quality of the story they entered for the workshop actually mattered. In the end, with neither polls or hit counter being a good benchmark, the written feedback on a story was the most usefull way of determining whether a story was good or not. Unfortunately it's not always provided in helpful quantities.

More
26 May 2017 17:27 #54306 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement
In my view, the purpose of contests like this should be to get new writers to attempt a story. After all, people can post a story any time they want, contest or not.

In my book, anyone who wins should not be eligible to participate for perhaps three or so subsequent contest cycles. Otherwise, we tend to see the same authors over and over.

After all, those winning authors can write a story for the members any time they want and get positive feedback. And they should, but not during subsequent contests.

Anyway, it's a matter of goals. To develop new writers or to encourage popular contributors to put something more out. Kind of hard to do both as potential new writers are likely to be intimidated when they know a stable of accomplished writers are going to get the votes based on their popularity and talent.

My 2 cents.

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 May 2017 23:41 #54311 by ace191
Boy, I have a completely different take on this. I started writing stories to try to "give back" to authors like Marknew, DKC, CF and LFAN whose stories made my day. My first attempts were not so good but Argo took me under his wing and showed me how to turn a good idea into a good story.

To me, the purpose of the workshops is to inspire authors to produce content for this site that everyone can enjoy. There is no other English site like it in the world that I know of. Fats handles the technical aspects ( which seem to get more difficult every day), the moderators run the boards and the Librarian posts the stories and tags them for future searches. And you cannot beat the price and I would challange you to find a better run site or one with better content for our Genere anywhere in the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, Ravens_ghost, Monty

More
27 May 2017 22:02 #54319 by d_k_c
In many ways, i'd agree that it is a popularity contest in that if a person is undecided they tend to vote for their favorite author. At least, that's what I do.

I agree with Shadar though...but it gave me an idea...

What if we had 3 WS in a year. If you win you can not participate in any more WS for that year....BUT you are entered into the final WS where the top 3 authors battle it out?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

More
28 May 2017 03:12 #54321 by ace191
The whole idea to me is to increase the number of entries, so I would say that a winning author could participate in the workshop but they would not be eligible for voting until 6-9 or 12 months after their last win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

More
29 May 2017 00:00 #54337 by Woodclaw
Just a friendly reminder for those who are going to post entries for the workshop over the next week or so: please include the "SWM Spring 2017 Workshop" tagline at the start of your story, so it will be easier to sort them out.

More
29 May 2017 00:50 #54338 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement
Umm, there was discussion of a deadline extension earlier in the thread but I didn't see anything official. Has the deadline been officially extended or do we need to post by tonight? I'm a little confused at the moment, though a small extension would be nice on account of my chronic procrastination issue

More
29 May 2017 01:24 #54339 by fats
the deadline has been extended by 10 days.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Jun 2017 04:49 #54470 by d_k_c
Ive been really busy....just so I don't let it slip....what is the official dead line

More
02 Jun 2017 09:55 - 02 Jun 2017 11:40 #54474 by Woodclaw

d_k_c wrote: Ive been really busy....just so I don't let it slip....what is the official dead line

Wesneday the 7th of June 2017.

Sorry, my mistake Saturday the 10th.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 11:40 by Woodclaw.

More
02 Jun 2017 10:46 #54475 by fats
WC is wrong there it's in fact

Saturday the 10th

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
02 Jun 2017 11:42 #54476 by Woodclaw

fats wrote: WC is wrong there it's in fact

Saturday the 10th

Fats

One very important not efor all the writers who are not participating the workshop: as usual any story submitted during the 7 days after the deadline would be uploaded a week later to give time to read all the workshop entries and and to give non-workshop stories proper visibility.

More
02 Jun 2017 18:25 #54487 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Spring 2017 workshop announcement

fats wrote: WC is wrong there it's in fact

Saturday the 10th

Fats

Yay!

More
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds