Amount

Supergirl's hair conundrum

25 Feb 2015 16:51 #40580 by shadar
Supergirl's hair conundrum was created by shadar
Based on the inside info that has been revealed here, Melissa wears a blonde wig as Supergirl and her natural brunette hair with blonde highlights as Linda. So far so good.

But how do they handle this on-screen?

In the early SG comics, she wore a brunette wig as Linda, and managing that wig (taking it on and off and stashing it and other logistical and even some costume-malfunction issues). But how is the wig handled on-screen in the TV show?

Does Supergirl pull on a wig that looks like Melissa's own hair to hide her blonde hair, and then cut away to Melissa/Linda with her natural hair? Seems kind of awkward.

Or do they use a technique that the comics once did where she had this "charged comb of alien construction" thingy that changed her hair color when she combed it through. One side of the comb restored her natural blonde hair color and the other side darkened it to brunette. Or in this case, perhaps partially darkens it.

Either way, they are clearly going to have to deal with the hair color thing as part of the character's transition between her two identities. But I don't see an easy way to make a wig part of the character's identity. Unless Supergirl wears a blonde wig and Melissa's hair is the natural color. I.E... she's in disguise as Supergirl and not as Linda. A brief run of an alternative version of Kara in the Batman/Superman comics showed a short-haired blonde Kara wearing a long black wig as Supergirl. The reverse could work too. But there are plot-level logistical issues with this in terms of explaining how a wig stays in place during supersonic flight and horrific fighting or getting blasted or whatever.

Any other ideas on how they might do this in the show, given what we think we know from leaks?

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • shadar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Feb 2015 17:34 #40582 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
You see this a lot in Comics.

Batwoman has played with this by giving Kate a short butchy hairy in her real life and long Flowing wig as part of her costume. Black Carniary does this Also the web series Spinnerette and others-this helps hide the identity and can be kind of a Clark Kent Glasses. We see a kind of lack of a better word Un femine character in real life, turn into something more convetionally bueatiful.

Supergirl is traditonally intresting in that well-she wears a wig in her secret identity-the unearthly bueatiful character is the real her, the frump is pretend. Which goes to the idea you see a lot in comics that shes a stranger in a strange land with Danvers a kind of a mask she wears to try to fit in.

Making the brown hair the real hair i think in someways fits the tone i think going for, and yes feels a bit more Clark Kenty but well.

Of course the examples above your right don't normally fly at superspeed, and most of them wear full face masks to hold it in place. This could fall into "don't think to much about it" but maybe it comes up ocasionally like the old comics in big momments.

More
25 Feb 2015 17:42 #40583 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
The wig issue is a production issue, that is they will use the wig when she meeds to be SG as the total time that she will be SG is going to be very limited, I expect any change on hair colour to be handed by CGI, the main issue is going to be expectations of members here who hope nay expect there to be a large amount of time dedicated to SG using her powers and not on building the roles around her, I’m expect5ing at most 10% of each EP to be SG with powers and the rest tacking other issues, that's not me being negative but seeing what has come before us.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Feb 2015 20:39 #40592 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

fats wrote: The wig issue is a production issue, that is they will use the wig when she meeds to be SG as the total time that she will be SG is going to be very limited, I expect any change on hair colour to be handed by CGI, the main issue is going to be expectations of members here who hope nay expect there to be a large amount of time dedicated to SG using her powers and not on building the roles around her, I’m expect5ing at most 10% of each EP to be SG with powers and the rest tacking other issues, that's not me being negative but seeing what has come before us.

Fats

Its not just a production issue. Simply put, do either Linda or Supergirl wear a wig as part of their characters?

Once we understand that, then one could speculate about the production challenges and techniques.

The wig and secret identity thing (and the problems that come with both) were always part of the older comics. Complications came along with it that were useful for the plot at times. Or at least amusing. Any kind of disguise is always an opportunity for people to see through and unmask the two personas.

Shadar

• shadar
More
25 Feb 2015 21:09 #40593 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
Sheesh! There's a lot of discussion about this show on other forums. Every titbit of news, rumour, or fresh dollop of speculation causes the fanboys to debate over whether it fits in to this continuity or that continuity, and whether the show is meant to be set in this fictional DC universe or that fictional DC universe. When I was a kid, we just watched the bleeding tv show -- we didn't spend endless hours pondering over what universe Adam West was in, or whether Glenn Ford's Jonathan Kent could have met Debra Winger's Wonder Girl.

For all we know, Supergirl will have magical hair morphing powers. Or she'll wear a balaclava. Or a crash helmet. One things for certain, no matter what happens the fanboys will say it causes continuity problems with a specific timeline in a specific universe in a specific comicbook... printed twenty years ago..!! :)

The internet has a lot to answer for :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Supergirlfan

More
25 Feb 2015 21:35 #40595 by shadar
:ohmy:

five_red wrote: Sheesh! There's a lot of discussion about this show on other forums. Every titbit of news, rumour, or fresh dollop of speculation causes the fanboys to debate over whether it fits in to this continuity or that continuity, and whether the show is meant to be set in this fictional DC universe or that fictional DC universe. When I was a kid, we just watched the bleeding tv show -- we didn't spend endless hours pondering over what universe Adam West was in, or whether Glenn Ford's Jonathan Kent could have met Debra Winger's Wonder Girl.

For all we know, Supergirl will have magical hair morphing powers. Or she'll wear a balaclava. Or a crash helmet. One things for certain, no matter what happens the fanboys will say it causes continuity problems with a specific timeline in a specific universe in a specific comicbook... printed twenty years ago..!! :)

Not sure if you are trolling the membership or just naive. You must remember that this particular forum is populated by people who write stories and do artwork and create videos that deal with super heroines and enjoy all of the above. So yes, we dig into everything given we are, by and large, a creatively-inclined bunch of folks. We're running scenarios and plot possibilities in our heads for the entertainment of it all.

I'm guessing this might NOT be the best place to disparage people for having a strong interest in a specific comic book or character. You can always go over to Fox News and talk about how great Arab Muslims are if you want to troll.

Shadar

• shadar
More
25 Feb 2015 21:55 #40596 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
I don't wanna speak for Red5, but I thought his post was slightly sarcastic, especially considering the fact he is one of the "creative types" in the genre and has produced a myriad of excellent manips based on the Girl of Steel.

I DO agree with his point of having people take a deep breath and wait for the show and see it before the obligatory "this is gonna suck". I'm not talking about speculation, as I'm just as curious and have my "wish list" as much as anybody, but some of the overzealous fanboys (not fans) tend to take things a little too seriously. I mean can you imagine if they were launching Star Trek: The Next Generation in the days of social media?!?!?! Some of the major complaints right now for Supergirl that I've seen on other forums range from "the fact that she is friends with the Toyman" to "Black Jimmy Olson boytoy?!?!" to "Cat Grant should be a silicone-tabloid type of mogul and not some Ali McBeal retread". Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it gets ridiculous sometimes.

The social-media venom heaped on the ill-fated WW series because of that one promotional shot of her in costume was enough to last a lifetime. I just hope people chilax a little more with Supergirl once the promo pics are released.....unless they suck of course! :P

ElF

shadar wrote: :ohmy:

five_red wrote: Sheesh! There's a lot of discussion about this show on other forums. Every titbit of news, rumour, or fresh dollop of speculation causes the fanboys to debate over whether it fits in to this continuity or that continuity, and whether the show is meant to be set in this fictional DC universe or that fictional DC universe. When I was a kid, we just watched the bleeding tv show -- we didn't spend endless hours pondering over what universe Adam West was in, or whether Glenn Ford's Jonathan Kent could have met Debra Winger's Wonder Girl.

Not sure if you are trolling the membership or just naive. You must remember that this particular forum is populated by people who write stories and do artwork and create videos that deal with super heroines and enjoy all of the above. So yes, we dig into everything given we are, by and large, a creatively-inclined bunch of folks. We're running scenarios and plot possibilities in our heads for the entertainment of it all.

I'm guessing this might NOT be the best place to disparage people for having a strong interest in a specific comic book or character. You can always go over to Fox News and talk about how great Arab Muslims are if you want to troll.

Shadar

The following user(s) said Thank You: somat

More
25 Feb 2015 23:00 - 25 Feb 2015 23:23 #40598 by five_red
[Edited this post to delete a load of stuff that was in dire danger of pulling the thread off topic.. but I'll leave the conclusion....]

We can argue all day whether Supergirl will wear a wig, or Linda will wear a wig, and all anyone can ever say is "wait and see". Will she wear her costume under her clothes? Wait and see. Will her apartment have a balcony? Wait and see. Will she use a PC or a Mac? Wait and see. Will she get out of bed in the morning on the left or the right? Wait and see.

For the record, none of my images fit into any DC continuity, and if someone tries to claim they do I'll quite happily do a pic of Helen Slater's Supergirl riding a Tauntaun chasing Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock as he runs across Narnia, as Doctor Who (Peter Cushing), Twiki, Dick Tracy, Steve Austin, Columbo, Miss Piggy and Champion the Wonder Horse watch on from a distance -- then let the fanboys fight it out for themselves. :)

Just my (highly tongue-in-cheek) 2c. :)
Last edit: 25 Feb 2015 23:23 by five_red. Reason: Edited because my humour may cause more trouble than it's worth :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Supergirlfan

More
26 Feb 2015 02:07 #40600 by shadar
The good news about this forum is that everyone has been very positive about the Supergirl show. There is nothing obligatory about "this thing is going to suck". I expect that it won't. It's more a matter of puzzling out where the creative team is going. There are bits and pieces of info coming out from casting, and we have some folks who have inside sources in this group. So we have something to work on.

But based on your quotes below, ELF, it sounds like some forums have gone negative on the show. I haven't seen those and don't intend to go looking for them. I don't expect SWM to go negative (unless it sucks when we finally see it).

As to your comment about "taking a deep breath", are you planning to close the topics that relate to the TV show for a while? Or just ask us to stop talking about it?

I hope not as I'd like to continue speculating in this forum as new bits of info arrive. We won't be able to call that "spoilers" given mostly its trying to make sense out of iffy data. Or said another way: guessing.

Shadar

lfan wrote: I don't wanna speak for Red5, but I thought his post was slightly sarcastic, especially considering the fact he is one of the "creative types" in the genre and has produced a myriad of excellent manips based on the Girl of Steel.

I DO agree with his point of having people take a deep breath and wait for the show and see it before the obligatory "this is gonna suck". I'm not talking about speculation, as I'm just as curious and have my "wish list" as much as anybody, but some of the overzealous fanboys (not fans) tend to take things a little too seriously. I mean can you imagine if they were launching Star Trek: The Next Generation in the days of social media?!?!?! Some of the major complaints right now for Supergirl that I've seen on other forums range from "the fact that she is friends with the Toyman" to "Black Jimmy Olson boytoy?!?!" to "Cat Grant should be a silicone-tabloid type of mogul and not some Ali McBeal retread". Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it gets ridiculous sometimes.

The social-media venom heaped on the ill-fated WW series because of that one promotional shot of her in costume was enough to last a lifetime. I just hope people chilax a little more with Supergirl once the promo pics are released.....unless they suck of course! :P

ElF

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Feb 2015 02:32 #40601 by lfan
That was a virtual "take a breath" that I requested. I have NO intention of closing threads or discouraging conversation or speculation on the series. The way I see it is we've literally been waiting years for something like this. We SHOULD be talking about it -- a lot!

I only ask, as has been mentioned before, that tangible spoilers are identified as such.

ElF

shadar wrote: The good news about this forum is that everyone has been very positive about the Supergirl show. There is nothing obligatory about "this thing is going to suck". I expect that it won't. It's more a matter of puzzling out where the creative team is going. There are bits and pieces of info coming out from casting, and we have some folks who have inside sources in this group. So we have something to work on.

But based on your quotes below, ELF, it sounds like some forums have gone negative on the show. I haven't seen those and don't intend to go looking for them. I don't expect SWM to go negative (unless it sucks when we finally see it).

As to your comment about "taking a deep breath", are you planning to close the topics that relate to the TV show for a while? Or just ask us to stop talking about it?

I hope not as I'd like to continue speculating in this forum as new bits of info arrive. We won't be able to call that "spoilers" given mostly its trying to make sense out of iffy data. Or said another way: guessing.

Shadar

lfan wrote: I don't wanna speak for Red5, but I thought his post was slightly sarcastic, especially considering the fact he is one of the "creative types" in the genre and has produced a myriad of excellent manips based on the Girl of Steel.

ElF

Shadar

More
26 Feb 2015 03:09 #40602 by shadar

lfan wrote: That was a virtual "take a breath" that I requested. I have NO intention of closing threads or discouraging conversation or speculation on the series. The way I see it is we've literally been waiting years for something like this. We SHOULD be talking about it -- a lot!

I only ask, as has been mentioned before, that tangible spoilers are identified as such.

ElF

That's very fair.

I think the key is to stay positive about the show while exploring the various ways it might go (or could be done better if we know enough to make that judgement).

Shadar

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Feb 2015 03:32 #40603 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
So far here at least, I think everyone has had the right amount of balance. Interest, curiosity, and some fun at trying to tease out the tea leaves, and a lack of negativity. There really isn't enough information to be negative about anything yet. There really isn't enough information to be positive either -- other than the actor choices seem solid, and that's good news. A show needs more than that to succeed (writing, production, special effects, good promotion, luck). But i"ll take my few episodes of Firefly over the alternative of no episodes of Firefly. So even if Supergirl gets one half season, and it's AWESOME, but still gets canceled, we're far better off than we were before. Plus if it's awesome, and 10 years later people are STILL talking about it, and it has MORE fans than when it was on the air -- it's more likely someone else will make something inspired by it. Even if it's ho hum, doesn't matter: got supergirl tv show when I didn't have one before (I'll just be slightly miffed they blew their chance).

Yes, all this will be really answered when the show comes out, but in the meantime we can have fun, and speculate, and for me at least, this tends to drop things into the idea bank that gets mixed around to spark stories. We've already seen a few stories come out of what we know about the show so far.

If other places are going negative, well, they're not places I really want to hang out. I might have a bit of skepticism about the choice of Gal Godot for WW and I might not really like Man of Steel, BUT, it's not like the people making the movies are idiots. They can spot a good actress, and have a plan for the movie. That means, likely, it'll all work out and be ok, and at the very least, I should let them do that. If/when i get some more info to speculate on, hey, I'll spend a few days doing that. But I won't waste any vitriol on that (as few things are with that anyway). Really if you don't like something, just move on and find something you DO like, and don't spend your time seeking out and complaining about it. Find a new thing, experience it, and make your life better rather than wallowing in something you hate.

I can remember a lot of hate about the new Thor, and by and large, I'm having really fun with the comic. I wonder if any of the people who had a cow about Thor are enjoying the comic (or did they run away in a snit first).

Some geeks react badly. And some react REALLY badly.

On another note: go see the Kingsman. Silly, obnoxious fun. And a really nice female villain, she's nicely over the top. Wish the female heroes were better done. Still, I had a great time, as the movie isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

More
26 Feb 2015 03:50 #40604 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
Of course, MB could always bleach her hair blonde for the role and wear a brown wig....

Historically, Kara (and Clark), used to store their civilian clothes and accoutrements (glasses or wig) in secret pouches in the capes. How did they not totally bulge out? This was the Silver Age when the Flash could fold up his entire costume and fit it into a ring...

But, on a more practical note, I was playing on an online Marvel/DC game and this question of Kara changing her hair color came up in the game. The solution I proposed was borrowed from the Question's hair color changes: a shampoo with special dyes that changes hair color when exposed to the gas that adheres the mask to Vic's face. Only this time, using a small electrical charge generated from Kara's modified watch to initiate the color change.

Of course, for the series they could explain the color change using nanites. Everything's nanites in sci-fi these days.

More
26 Feb 2015 05:44 #40605 by shadar

ArgentDragon wrote: Of course, MB could always bleach her hair blonde for the role and wear a brown wig....

You are forgetting the insider scoop we have that MB wears a blonde wig as SG and has lightened her hair (blonde highlights) for the Linda role. But she's not taking her natural hair blonde. So given that, I was wondering out loud in earlier posts how they are going to explain the hair color changes in the show itself. Not the production and actress issue, but the character issue.

So lets speculate on the two options (given the constraints from what we know above):

Option 1) Linda pulls out a blond wig and puts it on whenever she also dons her uniform/costume thingy. And then she stashes it away with her costume when she's done being Supergirl. Which says Kara's natural hair color isn't blond. That would be a new approach for mainstream Kara Zor El. There are also some physics issues with keeping the wig in place that would have to be handled in the show. Magic not allowed.

Option 2) Kara's natural hair is blond as it always has in the comics, and she somehow disguises it as Linda. Either with a wig or some other mechanisms as noted in earlier posts. This is canonical. In this scenario, the blonde wig is only a production concern when Supergirl is on-screen, and not a plot concern. When MB appears as Linda, she's actually wearing her natural hair, but in the show its explained that she is wearing a wig or has tweaked her hair color somehow. A little twisted, but this makes the most sense re: the character.

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Feb 2015 07:50 #40607 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

shadar wrote:

ArgentDragon wrote: Of course, MB could always bleach her hair blonde for the role and wear a brown wig....

You are forgetting the insider scoop we have that MB wears a blonde wig as SG and has lightened her hair (blonde highlights) for the Linda role. But she's not taking her natural hair blonde. So given that, I was wondering out loud in earlier posts how they are going to explain the hair color changes in the show itself. Not the production and actress issue, but the character issue.

So lets speculate on the two options (given the constraints from what we know above):

Option 1) Linda pulls out a blond wig and puts it on whenever she also dons her uniform/costume thingy. And then she stashes it away with her costume when she's done being Supergirl. Which says Kara's natural hair color isn't blond. That would be a new approach for mainstream Kara Zor El. There are also some physics issues with keeping the wig in place that would have to be handled in the show. Magic not allowed.

Option 2) Kara's natural hair is blond as it always has in the comics, and she somehow disguises it as Linda. Either with a wig or some other mechanisms as noted in earlier posts. This is canonical. In this scenario, the blonde wig is only a production concern when Supergirl is on-screen, and not a plot concern. When MB appears as Linda, she's actually wearing her natural hair, but in the show its explained that she is wearing a wig or has tweaked her hair color somehow. A little twisted, but this makes the most sense re: the character.

Shadar

Oh, I know and agree with the idea that MB is going to be in a blonde wig when 'in costume'; I just tossed in that opener as a joke :)

More
26 Feb 2015 13:49 - 26 Feb 2015 13:54 #40610 by algae2k
Replied by algae2k on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum

Shadar

C'mon... aren't we better than this, Shadar? Troll-bait is not supportive. Not everyone here agrees politically, so let's keep it neutral. We all come here to escape from some facets of reality.

I think 5 wants to make sure that we don't all lose perspective on the bigger picture. 10% screen time of SG is still 5 minutes more per week than we're used to getting. Let's enjoy it.

OTOH, we're all here because we love the characters we do, and there're a lot of answers still needed. We need to support our niche and each other, which means that we need to give each other the benefit of the doubt when there is a tongue-in-cheek comment made.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2015 13:54 by algae2k.

More
26 Feb 2015 20:33 #40614 by shadar
I thought we were being trolled, so I suggested a more fruitful place to troll. It wasn't political. I was just upset.

It now appears that what I thought was trolling was actually awkwardly written sarcasm. My mistake. Sorry.

Shadar

algae2k wrote:

Shadar

C'mon... aren't we better than this, Shadar? Troll-bait is not supportive. Not everyone here agrees politically, so let's keep it neutral. We all come here to escape from some facets of reality.

I think 5 wants to make sure that we don't all lose perspective on the bigger picture. 10% screen time of SG is still 5 minutes more per week than we're used to getting. Let's enjoy it.

OTOH, we're all here because we love the characters we do, and there're a lot of answers still needed. We need to support our niche and each other, which means that we need to give each other the benefit of the doubt when there is a tongue-in-cheek comment made.

• shadar
More
26 Feb 2015 21:14 - 26 Feb 2015 21:20 #40615 by five_red
There's a reasonable possibility the difference in hair colour will not be explained at all. One has to understand that while (some!) fans may be obsessed with making every last jot and tittle explicable, tv producers don't care so much. We're dealing with a tv series about a woman who can fly, bench press a juggernaut, and survive a nuclear explosion without a scratch -- the fact that her hair changes shades when she switches identities may not be considered a high priority for an on-screen explanation.

So you're asking a question that has a high probability of not being answered (if other shows are any guide.)

After all, we got through a season and half of Wonder Woman without anyone explaining why Diana Prince's hair went from straight and chestnut brown to permed and dark brown whenever she twirled into action. ;)
Last edit: 26 Feb 2015 21:20 by five_red.

More
26 Feb 2015 22:29 #40619 by shadar

five_red wrote: There's a reasonable possibility the difference in hair colour will not be explained at all. One has to understand that while (some!) fans may be obsessed with making every last jot and tittle explicable, tv producers don't care so much. We're dealing with a tv series about a woman who can fly, bench press a juggernaut, and survive a nuclear explosion without a scratch -- the fact that her hair changes shades when she switches identities may not be considered a high priority for an on-screen explanation.

So you're asking a question that has a high probability of not being answered (if other shows are any guide.)

After all, we got through a season and half of Wonder Woman without anyone explaining why Diana Prince's hair went from straight and chestnut brown to permed and dark brown whenever she twirled into action. ;)

You could very well be right. TV producers/writers aren't known for their attention to the details of the books or comics they base their stories on.

That said, I think they will be forced to make it part of the plot. The handling of her two identities (on many levels) is going to be the cornerstone of the show. And while the whole changing appearance/costume thing is unknown (other than that MB wears a blonde wig as Supergirl), it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

But mostly, as MB stated in a recent interview, this is a human story about empowerment.

"What's so wonderful about her is that she is such a relatable character, amongst her powers," said Benoist. "What I'm the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength, and I think that's something that everyone will root for and want in their own lives – I'm really excited about that."

While Benoist would not reveal if she would be wearing any version of the traditional Supergirl costume in the series – or a superhero costume at all – she did reveal that she's taken a good look at the comic book suit, including its often micro-mini hemline.

"It's a little daunting," she laughed. "It's daunting, but that's good. I like being pushed. I work well under pressure."

The real challenge (as I see it) is to make someone with such incredible physical powers "relatable" to a general audience. Presumably she faces and overcomes many human challenges on the way to becoming empowered, and doesn't just punch her way to supreme power.

In that regard at least, her story may resonate with Clark's, given it wasn't easy for him to find his way as Superman in the beginning either. He had to set some inviolate rules for himself because he could do anything. No one on Earth can compel him to behave in a certain way, only his own rules and self-discipline. It's one of the key aspects that defines his character. His self-defined morality goes well beyond what any policeman or soldier would ever claim: a vow to not take a life, or allow one to be taken if he can prevent it, no matter what the stakes.

Or course, that leads to implausible story lines and miraculous saves in the comics. I hope the TV show takes a more realistic view. If two suicidal terrorists are about to push the button on an improvised nuke, in the middle of a city, any reasonable hero would take out the terrorists if that saves the day. But not Superman. He'd find a way to deliver them to justice alive -- and stop the detonation. The stories as written for him always allow him to find some miraculous solution that doesn't involve killing. This was one of the things that both fascinated me and discouraged me about Superman stories.

Because real life is not so easy. Terrorists would know about him. They'd take precautions. They know about his pledge to never take a life. They'd use that against him.

I hope similar moral challenges figure into Kara's story in the show. How she weighs the relative morality of her actions. How she does her moral calculus. Is killing two suicidal zeolots to save ten thousand innocents a good tradeoff? We would all say so.

Superman would not agree. Kara as depicted in the TV show... unknown.

Shadar

• shadar
More
27 Feb 2015 15:02 #40626 by algae2k
The written word is deficient at conveying sarcasm, sadly. OTOH, I think what we're ultimately discussing here is determining how far down the "suspension of disbelief" rabbit hole the producers will take us. On one hand, we believe that a Kryptonian can have these magnificent powers; on the other, we have to believe that everyone else in the world is SO blind not to say to Clark Kent, "Hey, you look just like Superman... expect for those glasses, of course... so you don't look a thing like him..." What is harder to believe (in that universe)?

Supergirl's identities are certainly more differentiated, so I hope that they do not give either identity bad (IMO, very short) hair.

More
27 Feb 2015 15:05 #40627 by algae2k

shadar wrote:

five_red wrote: There's a reasonable possibility the difference in hair colour will not be explained at all. One has to understand that while (some!) fans may be obsessed with making every last jot and tittle explicable, tv producers don't care so much. We're dealing with a tv series about a woman who can fly, bench press a juggernaut, and survive a nuclear explosion without a scratch -- the fact that her hair changes shades when she switches identities may not be considered a high priority for an on-screen explanation.

You could very well be right. TV producers/writers aren't known for their attention to the details of the books or comics they base their stories on.

That said, I think they will be forced to make it part of the plot. The handling of her two identities (on many levels) is going to be the cornerstone of the show. And while the whole changing appearance/costume thing is unknown (other than that MB wears a blonde wig as Supergirl), it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

But mostly, as MB stated in a recent interview, this is a human story about empowerment.

"What's so wonderful about her is that she is such a relatable character, amongst her powers," said Benoist. "What I'm the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength, and I think that's something that everyone will root for and want in their own lives – I'm really excited about that."

While Benoist would not reveal if she would be wearing any version of the traditional Supergirl costume in the series – or a superhero costume at all – she did reveal that she's taken a good look at the comic book suit, including its often micro-mini hemline.

"It's a little daunting," she laughed. "It's daunting, but that's good. I like being pushed. I work well under pressure."

The real challenge (as I see it) is to make someone with such incredible physical powers "relatable" to a general audience. Presumably she faces and overcomes many human challenges on the way to becoming empowered, and doesn't just punch her way to supreme power.

In that regard at least, her story may resonate with Clark's, given it wasn't easy for him to find his way as Superman in the beginning either. He had to set some inviolate rules for himself because he could do anything. No one on Earth can compel him to behave in a certain way, only his own rules and self-discipline. It's one of the key aspects that defines his character. His self-defined morality goes well beyond what any policeman or soldier would ever claim: a vow to not take a life, or allow one to be taken if he can prevent it, no matter what the stakes.

Or course, that leads to implausible story lines and miraculous saves in the comics. I hope the TV show takes a more realistic view. If two suicidal terrorists are about to push the button on an improvised nuke, in the middle of a city, any reasonable hero would take out the terrorists if that saves the day. But not Superman. He'd find a way to deliver them to justice alive -- and stop the detonation. The stories as written for him always allow him to find some miraculous solution that doesn't involve killing. This was one of the things that both fascinated me and discouraged me about Superman stories.

Because real life is not so easy. Terrorists would know about him. They'd take precautions. They know about his pledge to never take a life. They'd use that against him.

I hope similar moral challenges figure into Kara's story in the show. How she weighs the relative morality of her actions. How she does her moral calculus. Is killing two suicidal zeolots to save ten thousand innocents a good tradeoff? We would all say so.

Superman would not agree. Kara as depicted in the TV show... unknown.

Shadar

Great points!

More
28 Feb 2015 13:42 #40659 by five_red

shadar wrote: [...] it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

I assume you're taking about the Helen Slater movie costume (and it's counterpart in the DNAOS series), as this is the most iconic of all the character's various outfits(?) If that is the case, then one might be tempted to suggest the change of hair colour will most likely be explained using exactly the same means that were employed in the 1984 movie. ;)

But in all seriousness, when it comes to superheroines Hollywood tends to prefer magical transformations over dressing/undressing. The most likely outcome is that she'll twirl around and/or be engulfed in light and emerge as Supergirl, which makes any magical change in hair colour somewhat secondary to a magical change of clothing. The odds of her running into a secluded alleyway and ripping open her shirt to expose her super-togs (a la the classic comicbooks) is about as likely as a Super Klenk video showing up on YouTube. :)

R5

More
28 Feb 2015 13:45 #40660 by lfan

five_red wrote:

shadar wrote: [...] it seems like they are looking seriously at having her wear some aspect of the iconic costume. Probably not the iconic blue leotard (little more than a second skin) and a mini-micro skirt, but hopefully something close.

I assume you're taking about the Helen Slater movie costume (and it's counterpart in the DNAOS series), as this is the most iconic of all the character's various outfits(?) If that is the case, then one might be tempted to suggest the change of hair colour will most likely be explained using exactly the same means that were employed in the 1984 movie. ;)

But in all seriousness, when it comes to superheroines Hollywood tends to prefer magical transformations over dressing/undressing. The most likely outcome is that she'll twirl around and/or be engulfed in light and emerge as Supergirl, which makes any magical change in hair colour somewhat secondary to a magical change of clothing. The odds of her running into a secluded alleyway and ripping open her shirt to expose her super-togs (a la the classic comicbooks) is about as likely as a Super Klenk video showing up on YouTube. :)

R5

Super Klenk..... *deep sigh* :(

More
28 Feb 2015 18:24 - 28 Feb 2015 23:13 #40668 by shadar

five_red wrote:

R5

They better not do a twirl around Wonder Woman flash of light thingy. Khryptonians don't use magic. In fact, they hate it most of all, given its the one thing that knocks them for a loop. (Well, except for Kryptonite).

One of the nice things about Krypts is that their powers are "scientific" and "technical" related to the sun, and not anything related to the occult.

Shadar
Last edit: 28 Feb 2015 23:13 by shadar.

• shadar
More
01 Mar 2015 03:13 #40673 by Supergirlfan
Replied by Supergirlfan on topic Supergirl's hair conundrum
I bet... It will be a quick change like they do in the Flash TV show... Super Speed...Now we might get a hint she has the costume underneath her clothes, but we will never see the change in the alley... :(

More
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds