Amount

Variety: Supergirl may switch to CW on renewal

19 May 2016 19:38 #48004 by lfan

murdough wrote: They're not wasting any time on continuing to connect Supergirl with the other three DC shows the CW already have. This was just announced

www.ew.com/article/2016/05/19/cw-crossov...s-tomorrow-supergirl

It ought to be interesting to see how Kara does in this.

Or with the early promos.....

Good to see the CW embracing her arrival so far!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2016 23:56 #48010 by Brad2
OK. This one's on crossovers. I recall seeing a thread here (on this site) on how one of the CW shows would get a Powergirl type character (this was before Supergirl was confirmed to be on the CW). Given that fact, and that Powergirl is basically an older version of Supergirl, I don't see the need for a crossover between the Supergirl show and another show that already has a Powergirl character.

Seems a bit redundant. Seems very much like they're saying "Yay! Lets do crossovers for the sake of crossovers, and who the hell cares if there's any real need for them or not!" This doesn't bode well, and demands an explanation from those who were saying "Having all the writers in the same spot should improve the writing".

Why would they need a crossover episode where Supergirl appears on a show that already has Powergirl? Oh, and when I asking this question, I mean why would they do it storyline-wise? I know they might do it as a way to boost ratings/viewership if one of the show's viewership is tanking. (By that logic, they'd need to do A LOT of crossover episodes if Supergirl's writing doesn't improve from what it was in season 1).

I'm also curious about the fourth CW show. I know there's Supergirl, Arrow, and the Flash, and that all three revolve around their main characters (supposedly), but I don't know much about what the fourth one is about.

Thoughts?

More
20 May 2016 02:31 #48016 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Variety: Supergirl may switch to CW on renewal

Brad2 wrote: OK. This one's on crossovers. I recall seeing a thread here (on this site) on how one of the CW shows would get a Powergirl type character (this was before Supergirl was confirmed to be on the CW). Given that fact, and that Powergirl is basically an older version of Supergirl, I don't see the need for a crossover between the Supergirl show and another show that already has a Powergirl character.

Seems a bit redundant. Seems very much like they're saying "Yay! Lets do crossovers for the sake of crossovers, and who the hell cares if there's any real need for them or not!" This doesn't bode well, and demands an explanation from those who were saying "Having all the writers in the same spot should improve the writing".

Why would they need a crossover episode where Supergirl appears on a show that already has Powergirl? Oh, and when I asking this question, I mean why would they do it storyline-wise? I know they might do it as a way to boost ratings/viewership if one of the show's viewership is tanking. (By that logic, they'd need to do A LOT of crossover episodes if Supergirl's writing doesn't improve from what it was in season 1).

I'm also curious about the fourth CW show. I know there's Supergirl, Arrow, and the Flash, and that all three revolve around their main characters (supposedly), but I don't know much about what the fourth one is about.

Thoughts?

The fourth show is DC's Legends of Tomorrow. It's a team show featuring supporting characters from Arrow and the Flash (White Canary, the Atom, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Firestorm, Captain Cold, and Heat Wave). They were brought together by a time traveler named Rip Hunter to stop an immortal psychopath named Vandal Savage from conquering the world in the year 2166 by traveling through time in an attempt to take him out before he gained enough power to achieve his goal. The season finale was actually this evening, and it tied up the first season's arc and set the stage for next year. For the most part, it was pretty good, with Captain Cold being one of the ensemble's standouts and as a DC fan, I'm looking forward to where they take the show next season.

More
20 May 2016 02:46 #48017 by Brad2
Cool! Sounds like the kind of team I'd want to see Supergirl appear on (and even more than once). Of course, they might have to wait until she gets more heroic on her own show.

More
20 May 2016 02:53 #48018 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Variety: Supergirl may switch to CW on renewal

Brad2 wrote: Cool! Sounds like the kind of team I'd want to see Supergirl appear on (and even more than once). Of course, they might have to wait until she gets more heroic on her own show.

Like I said, it was pretty damn good this year, with some good casting. Brandon Routh(Superman Returns) as Ray Palmer/The Atom, Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell as Captain Cold and Heat Wave(continuing their partnership from Prison Break) and Arthur Darvill(Rory from the first two years of Matt Smith's run on Doctor Who) as Rip Hunter, just to name a couple. Here's the trailer for the first half of the season

More
20 May 2016 09:36 #48026 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Variety: Supergirl may switch to CW on renewal

Brad2 wrote: OK. This one's on crossovers. I recall seeing a thread here (on this site) on how one of the CW shows would get a Powergirl type character (this was before Supergirl was confirmed to be on the CW). Given that fact, and that Powergirl is basically an older version of Supergirl, I don't see the need for a crossover between the Supergirl show and another show that already has a Powergirl character.

Thoughts?

Considering that both Flash season 2 and Legends of Tomorrow work on the concepts of dimensional travelling and time-travelling, I think it's not unreasonable to have both Supergirl and Power Girl crossing path at some point either as alternate Earths counterparts or as two points in the same character's timeline. How good this is going to be only time will tell: I loved the fact that they included Jay Garrick in Flash season 2, but I was very disappointed on how they handled him most of the time.
Aside from that, given that they're trying to establish a shared TV-series based universe, I don't know what might constitute a "unncessary crossover". If you have many different characters playing arund in the same narrative universe they're bound to met in some way, shape or form, even if only as passing references.

More
21 May 2016 00:55 #48042 by Brad2
What I meant by unnecessary was unnecessary to the plotline of the story being told on that show. For example, given that Supergirl had already beaten Livewire in a previous episode, I feel that she should have had no problem defeating her again. Then she'd only have the Silver Banshee to worry about, and she was able to beat opponents before when it was one on one. Even with one on two, I don't think she should have needed the Flash's help (and he didn't fare much better than her anyway).

So, to my mind, episode 18 of Supergirl season 1 would be an example of an unneeded crossover (as Supergirl shouldn't have needed the Flash's help to win). Might have been fun to have him there, but he wasn't really needed.

Also, having a multiverse isn't "the same universe" to my mind, as you'd need an unusual event to get characters to cross from one part of the multiverse to another.

And, having Powergirl and Supergirl would be unnecessary as both have the same power set. So, tactically, the only way I could see Powergirl being useful is if she were to act as a mentor. For example, they could have an episode (or part) where Powergirl teach, es Supergirl how to deal with kryptonite (that its only a threat at short range, and you can stay out of range, and possibly use your powers at a distance).

Again, I don't like the idea of crossovers for the sake of crossovers. It has to fit into the overall storyline of the show the crossover occurs on.

More
21 May 2016 15:20 #48047 by castor

Brad2 wrote: What I meant by unnecessary was unnecessary to the plotline of the story being told on that show. For example, given that Supergirl had already beaten Livewire in a previous episode, I feel that she should have had no problem defeating her again. Then she'd only have the Silver Banshee to worry about, and she was able to beat opponents before when it was one on one. Even with one on two, I don't think she should have needed the Flash's help (and he didn't fare much better than her anyway).

So, to my mind, episode 18 of Supergirl season 1 would be an example of an unneeded crossover (as Supergirl shouldn't have needed the Flash's help to win). Might have been fun to have him there, but he wasn't really needed.

Also, having a multiverse isn't "the same universe" to my mind, as you'd need an unusual event to get characters to cross from one part of the multiverse to another.

And, having Powergirl and Supergirl would be unnecessary as both have the same power set. So, tactically, the only way I could see Powergirl being useful is if she were to act as a mentor. For example, they could have an episode (or part) where Powergirl teach, es Supergirl how to deal with kryptonite (that its only a threat at short range, and you can stay out of range, and possibly use your powers at a distance).

Again, I don't like the idea of crossovers for the sake of crossovers. It has to fit into the overall storyline of the show the crossover occurs on.

I think cross overs can be fun when you do it well. They have been part of comics since the 40s and its a good way to move audiences around and play with it.

That said a super episode isn't that interesting to me-its a great way to get lost when you have 20 characters on screen at once. It gets muddled in a 44 minute episode

I was much more curious to see Green Arrow. For better or for worse, Green Arrow feels a lot like a way to do Batman without the baggage the character has, done in a manner that similar to the kind of dark knight brood(though not as dark).

Supergirl is a pretty damm light show, in a lot of ways similar to Superman. Hope optomism bright lights a heroine whose desire to make right saves the world.

As a guy who liked BvS, its a movie that picks its sides-its a very dark gloomy movie, that never attempted to show optomism and joy. To do an episode where they explore it either from a neutral term or suprise a possitive and bright one could be neat.

hope they still do that.

More
23 May 2016 16:36 #48065 by andyf
WGN in Chicago. starting Sep 1, will no longer be CW's Chicago affiliate. CW is moving to the Fox owned WPWR. WGN has often bumped CW shows for Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs and White Sox games.

More
23 May 2016 17:44 #48066 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Variety: Supergirl may switch to CW on renewal
But will it be synergy, or just clutter?

--Brantley

More
07 Jul 2016 15:35 #49013 by lfan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
07 Jul 2016 17:36 #49018 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Variety: Supergirl may switch to CW on renewal
That's cool.
I kinda like binge watching.

More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds