Amount

CW micromangaging Supergirl?

24 Jul 2016 19:04 #49272 by andyf
CW micromangaging Supergirl? was created by andyf
Why was showrunner Ali Adler not at SDCC2016? Why have not the actors cast as Nick Farrow, the Doctor or Lena Luthor been anonuced yet? Did the CW fire Adler drop, have the new characters for season 2 and put Chris Wood as Mon-El on the show to appeal to a different audience than the one Adler and company wanted to appeal to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2016 20:29 #49275 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
Dunno about the micromanaging, but I thought the same thing about Adler! She was so prominent last season, especially with the hype train (incl at SDCC) leading up to the premiere, but then this season.....nothing. I thought a little weird but usually word gets out quickly when they change showrunners. Maybe the show didn't need support from management this time around since it was season 2?

ElF

More
24 Jul 2016 20:44 #49277 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
Which raises the really important question: who is making the production and directorial decisions on the show?

Adler and company did a good job overall last year, especially in the creation and launch, which was very successful, but not so much in the consistency of writing.

Season 2 (and beyond) are all about working with established character arcs and the established fictional world as they have created it. Consistency is vital while they explore the relationships with new characters.

Is it better to have the original creative team involved (whose passion is clearly that of creating new shows) or better to have new (and more meticulous) people take over the continuity while Adler and team work on something new?

The same question comes up with companies of all types. Founder's Disease (the over-involvement from those who found a company) has been the cause of many failures. Even Steve Jobs and his obsession with Lisa and related computer dead-ends drove Apple into the ground before they tossed him out (although his return years later was perfect for the company).

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
24 Jul 2016 20:49 #49278 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
Who's playing project Cadmus head? Whos playing Farrow? Who's playing Luthor? Not a word from the SDCC 2016 panel.

Adler herself hasn't posted anything Supergirl related on her Twitter or Instagram page since June 24. With both Superman and Mon-El/Valor being so promeint in seaon 2, you can't help get the feeling that the CW suits want the show to more, how can I say, more male oriented than it was on CBS.

• andyf
More
24 Jul 2016 21:37 #49279 by castor
Replied by castor on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
You know they say this a lot about Comic Con.

Yesterday and the day before they released about 12 big trailers announced dozens of videos, casting anouncments other things like-this site has a couple and there are plenty out there( you know there is armoured Hulk in the new Thor movie? Care? someone does) When i was looking on facebook all three trending stories where about superhero movies. which maybe something about me, but who knows.

In short the last week was saturated....which is a good way to get kinda lost in the shuffle of stuff about this. A friend of mine wrote an article the other day about the idea that films that make big Comic Con Splashes maybe loose money on ....cause partially cause of that. They don't get a momment.

It would make sence in that regard not to announce this-to let this wait awhile and not take Wonder Woman, or Justice Leauges thunder, which they clearly want to push forward. Or stay out of the way of Luke Cage and The defenders. Its just so much.

And i can see the logic of that, doesn't mean someone is out of place or anything.

More
26 Jul 2016 19:27 #49312 by andyf
Compared to the three other DC shows on the CW, we know very little about season 2. Very little was said at SDCC 2016. With the other 3 shows, we know who the season's main villains or villains will be. Not a clue with Supergirl season 2.

• andyf
More
26 Jul 2016 20:52 #49315 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

andyf wrote: Compared to the three other DC shows on the CW, we know very little about season 2. Very little was said at SDCC 2016. With the other 3 shows, we know who the season's main villains or villains will be. Not a clue with Supergirl season 2.

My guess is that the Flash and Arrow had more "infrastructure" established -- in terms of cast, characters, and logistics -- already having been at the CW and in Vancouver for 2+ years now. Supergirl's production team is just making the transition so they, expectedly, are a little behind.

My personal opinion (along with other peoples') is that Cat is gonna be phased out, but this was not planned in advance till the move to Vancouver was announced, so they are kind of rushing to patch that hole. Combine that with the introduction of Superman (still hate that idea) as a semi-regular as well as addressing the 500lb pod in the room and the writers already have their work cut out for them.

I think the introduction of Lena and Farrow might be later in the season, and if so, they have a little time for casting. Plotlines for 6 possible new semi-regular cast members (Maggie, Supes, Mon-El, Lena, Farrow, Kara's new boss) adding to a cast of already 6-7 (Kara, Jimmy, Alex, Hank, Wynn, Max, Cat?) is a LOT to write for. With that many in the cast, I certainly hope they think things out and take their time since the "pace" I thought was one of the pitfalls of S1.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf

More
27 Jul 2016 08:45 #49317 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
^ This

Peace.

/K

More
27 Jul 2016 14:04 #49319 by andyf

lfan wrote:

andyf wrote: Compared to the three other DC shows on the CW, we know very little about season 2. Very little was said at SDCC 2016. With the other 3 shows, we know who the season's main villains or villains will be. Not a clue with Supergirl season 2.

My guess is that the Flash and Arrow had more "infrastructure" established -- in terms of cast, characters, and logistics -- already having been at the CW and in Vancouver for 2+ years now. Supergirl's production team is just making the transition so they, expectedly, are a little behind.

My personal opinion (along with other peoples') is that Cat is gonna be phased out, but this was not planned in advance till the move to Vancouver was announced, so they are kind of rushing to patch that hole. Combine that with the introduction of Superman (still hate that idea) as a semi-regular as well as addressing the 500lb pod in the room and the writers already have their work cut out for them.

I think the introduction of Lena and Farrow might be later in the season, and if so, they have a little time for casting. Plotlines for 6 possible new semi-regular cast members (Maggie, Supes, Mon-El, Lena, Farrow, Kara's new boss) adding to a cast of already 6-7 (Kara, Jimmy, Alex, Hank, Wynn, Max, Cat?) is a LOT to write for. With that many in the cast, I certainly hope they think things out and take their time since the "pace" I thought was one of the pitfalls of S1.

ElF

• andyf
More
27 Jul 2016 14:07 #49320 by andyf
I hope you're right, I -Fan. Farrow Luthor are said to be series regulars, but nothing was said about them at SDCC Where was showrunner Ali Adler at SDCC?

I'm still afraid CW might be trying to make the show more mal oriented like its other DC shows.

• andyf
More
28 Jul 2016 13:18 #49338 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

andyf wrote: I hope you're right, I -Fan. Farrow Luthor are said to be series regulars, but nothing was said about them at SDCC Where was showrunner Ali Adler at SDCC?

I'm still afraid CW might be trying to make the show more mal oriented like its other DC shows.

Frankly a male oriented Supergirl show might be just what this show needs.

More
28 Jul 2016 15:33 #49340 by andyf

Markiehoe wrote:

andyf wrote: I hope you're right, I -Fan. Farrow Luthor are said to be series regulars, but nothing was said about them at SDCC Where was showrunner Ali Adler at SDCC?

Frankly a male oriented Supergirl show might be just what this show needs.

Do you really it's ok for main female character to be overshadowed by male charactors with similar powers?

• andyf
More
28 Jul 2016 16:51 - 28 Jul 2016 17:19 #49342 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

Frankly a male oriented Supergirl show might be just what this show needs

Considering the board this has been posted on, i'm not sure if your comment was supposed to be ironic or not, however I thought one of the great ideas behind this show was the female empowerment angle, and for Supergirl to be a hero girls could look up to.

To have the second series a male dominated show seems to be a smack in the face for this concept, and go against one of the major reasons the show was originally picked up. However the female empowerment angle may have been the reason CW originally passed this show up last year, now they have it they may have decided to ditch that angle. Only a few months to find out which way they go, but I really hope I'll be watching Supergirl season 2 rather than Kara and her Amazing friends.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 17:19 by dauntingmold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf

More
28 Jul 2016 18:20 #49346 by andyf
Wasn't Supergirl, like Gotham, was ment to be a major network show? I thought I read somewhere that it was put up for bid , like Gotham and CBS outbid everybody else?

CW head Mark Pedowitz has said more than once after ordering Legends Of Tomorrow to series that he didn't want the public to see the CW as the DC Comics network.

He really had no real say in Supergirl going fro CBS to CW. He also turned down the pre Wonder Woman pilot Amazon.

• andyf
More
28 Jul 2016 18:38 - 28 Jul 2016 18:40 #49348 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

Wasn't Supergirl, like Gotham, was ment to be a major network show? I thought I read somewhere that it was put up for bid , like Gotham and CBS outbid everybody else

I'm sure you are right, like you I thought I'd read somewhere that CW had had first refusal last year, but that's the problem with the internet, it's full of rumour and untruths. I was just thinking out loud in light of the recent announcements and other shows on the channel that CW may not like the female empowerment angle.

I do remember them not being interested in Amazon, though I never knew why.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 18:40 by dauntingmold.

More
28 Jul 2016 20:30 #49350 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

dauntingmold wrote:

Considering the board this has been posted on, i'm not sure if your comment was supposed to be ironic or not, however I thought one of the great ideas behind this show was the female empowerment angle, and for Supergirl to be a hero girls could look up to.

To have the second series a male dominated show seems to be a smack in the face for this concept, and go against one of the major reasons the show was originally picked up. However the female empowerment angle may have been the reason CW originally passed this show up last year, now they have it they may have decided to ditch that angle. Only a few months to find out which way they go, but I really hope I'll be watching Supergirl season 2 rather than Kara and her Amazing friends.

I am all for Supergirl being the lead hero in this show.
In the first season she was rescued several times by other male heroes.
What i meant, and reading back I may have been unclear, is that Supergirl needs to LEAD this show.
Just like Arrow and Flash are the leads in their respective shows.
So what do they do in season two?
They add Superman and another powerful male hero in addition to Martian Manhunter.
I say get rid of all of them and let Supergirl be the most powerful hero in her own show.

More
29 Jul 2016 15:02 #49358 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

Markiehoe wrote:
What i meant, and reading back I may have been unclear, is that Supergirl needs to LEAD this show.
They add Superman and another powerful male hero in addition to Martian Manhunter.
I say get rid of all of them and let Supergirl be the most powerful hero in her own show.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
29 Jul 2016 16:00 - 29 Jul 2016 16:31 #49359 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?

Markiehoe wrote:

dauntingmold wrote:

Perhaps the theme they are focusing on is collaboration. Working together. How people are stronger together than separately. Culturally that plays better in 2016 than iconic individualism. Especially with a female lead. Women are more inclined to collaboration (in general) than men.

So while I agree that the old fart in me likes stories of rugged individualism and individual heroism, it's not the way of the world anymore. If TV shows are anything, they are a reflection of culture.

But to do that, they could have put another powerful female superheroine on the show and not as many males. Unfortunately, their aren't as many choices from the male-dominated comicdom.

Shadar
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 16:31 by shadar.

• shadar
More
29 Jul 2016 16:56 #49360 by andyf
I really don't want to think that Pedowitz is micromangaging the show. Considering all the good Berlanti and company's shows have done for the CW, Pedowitz would have to be a real Hollywood scumbag and moron to mess with Supergirl.

• andyf
More
31 Jul 2016 08:53 #49371 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
I think the first thing you need to realize when looking at the future of this show is that it's already failed. Maybe not in our eyes, but in the eyes of those who decide it's fate. We wouldn't be seeing the changes we already know of with certainty if it had lived up to expectation. While the title (and lead) will stay the same, ultimately there will be and should be some rather severe 'cleaning house' going on if it's going to continue to get funded at all.

I'm 100% in agreement that adding Superman on screen for more than 60 seconds will do the show no favors. But the fact is if had been the hit it needed to be, there'd be none of the tinkering we're seeing. Its not clever or enlightened, but it is fair they're taking a good hard look at 'does girl-power actually sell?' If there's a down side its that the show's in a coffin corner where if it falls flat again even with Superman propping it up, there probably won't be a third season to try some other combination of variables. And the Hollywood common knowledge that female super heroes are money pits gets another cautionary tale added to the pile.

Honestly I don't expect the inclusion of Supergirl cross-overs into the other three shows to really improve those experiences either. Green Arrow is far too street level and gritty for a perky Kryptonian. Flash has always been better without DC having to rub our faces in Kryptonian greater-than-speedforce-superspeed (which in turn makes 99% of all superman stories just goddam stupid if he's actually that fast...). And really, what kind of cockamamie match-up do you end up with Supergirl vs. Vandal Savage? I mean besides once again basically emasculating the cast who actually lives there in the show.

More
31 Jul 2016 14:31 #49375 by andyf
I find it very odd that showrunner Ali Adler was not at the show's panel at SDCC 2016. Last, year all of the shows ex producers were there and this year just Sarah S and no Ali.
If you look at both Adler's Twitter and Instagram pages, nothing Supergirl related has been posted since Jun 21.

Has she left the show? If so, was hasn't the major entertainment trades reported her leaving?

• andyf
More
31 Jul 2016 23:48 #49381 by castor
Replied by castor on topic CW micromangaging Supergirl?
Well this is a big point-It looks like the production started on the 25th-so more or less right after comicon.I would be willing to bet most of the actors flew right from San Diego to Vancouver -it maybe some of the reason there wasn't much material-it simply didn't exist. The photo of Superman i don't existed at max a day-TV guest roles are not thing you have people come in months in advance.

As such Ali--well this is kinda of the time your probabbly pretty busy gearing up to your big new season of the show, and i can get why you don't want to do it right now. The amount of time preasure on show runner during production is enomorious-she has to get 20 episodes out by next year and thats a lot of work not just on the first episode but the next 5. for the other shows that have been in production for a couple of weeks, maybe you can fly down-but not her. Especially for a show that is more or less starting from scratch production wise-new crew location-all of it has to be dealt with.

Was this a wise move to more or less come into Comic Con Empty handed-probabbly not, also for a show that special effects heavy probbbly a bad idea to not give yourself time(i hink i said last year it maybe a better idea for a HBO style 10 episode show simply becuse they would have more time for special effects) but well thats what they did. I doubt it has anything to do wit hthe networks in the slightest.

And to put her next to powerful men-well that can be a kind of method of giving her some philospical space in the show-question her need and value in the world-she will be the main character thats not true, but not necessairly the most powerful. Well honestly i am positive by the end of the season the most powerful but whose to say.

More
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds