Amount

Why so little posting?

26 Feb 2017 17:12 #52808 by andyf
Why so little posting? was created by andyf
Hardly anybody here ever seems to post about the sow anymore. Almost no episode review. Seldom any comments period.

Have most of the people here lost all interest in the show?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyf
  • andyf's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2017 17:23 #52809 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Why so little posting?
It may be because people who enjoy the show watch it ( like my wife and I) and those who don't have moved on.

More
26 Feb 2017 19:05 #52813 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Why so little posting?
I noticed this as well. I think sg.tv holds the reins over production material, so I think anyone with an interest will head there. I was going to post a link earlier to some great outdoor sequence shots in Vancouver, but figured if anyone is interested enough, they will head there anyway

More
27 Feb 2017 10:22 #52831 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Why so little posting?
I still watch the show but frankly they are losing me.
Supergirl is not the star it is an ensemble show.
She is continually rescued or bailed out of trouble by other heroes.
I can not stand this subplot with Mon El!
My number one trope I can not stand is Good Girl turns Bad.
They got that stupid one out of the way last season.
My number two trope I can not stand is Good Girl likes Bad Boy.
I am suffering through all of this season with this.

Besides her looking stunning in a wedding dress the last episode was just OK.
Mister Mxyzptlk instead of being a short, unattractive, annoying imp is now a standard CW metrosexual.
Supergirl instead of being totally repulsed by him is actually kind of attracted to him.
She even gave him a cute pet name.
If some girl I was interested in gave me a pet name I would redouble my efforts to woo her.

Sadly Supergirl is now just something to watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, kikass2014

More
27 Feb 2017 13:20 #52832 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Why so little posting?

Monty wrote: I noticed this as well. I think sg.tv holds the reins over production material, so I think anyone with an interest will head there. I was going to post a link earlier to some great outdoor sequence shots in Vancouver, but figured if anyone is interested enough, they will head there anyway

I think tv fans who want the latest breaking news will head to Spoilertv.com , which seems to be consistently a couple of hours ahead of other fan sites with breaking news, and comicbook fans will head to ComicbookResources.com to talk about the show in the context of DC Comics. If you just want to rave about how cool the show is, then obviously Supergirl.tv's forum is the place to go, while Smallville fans who see Supergirl as a sequel/substitute head for KryptonSite.com .

To be honest, despite some people on this forum seemingly having connections to West Coast tv production, and suggested links to the cast and crew of the Supergirl show itself, this show just hasn't caught on with the people on this forum. I stopped creating episode-specific threads with promo videos and pics when it became clear that there wasn't enough interest in the show to justify them.

I note that the show seems to divide people: I think The CW audience in general probably loves the show, and Alex's coming out storyline has generated a lot of buzz on Twitter, Tumblr, and even DeviantArts ... but long standing Kara fans seem to be less enthusiastic. I noted that even Michelle B (who has run the excellent SupergirlMaidOfMight.com fan site for years) has started to be a little critical of how the character is handled and the declining fan buzz around new episodes (see tweets below.)

(read the whole thread.)

The show needs 100+ episodes to work well in syndication, and barring accidents it will probably stay the right side of the ratings to justify all necessary five seasons. But whether it will be a show that comicbook or Supergirl fans will rave about, or whether it will largely just appeal to a general audience, is yet to be seen. Right now, it looks like the latter.

R5
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
27 Feb 2017 17:24 #52837 by Markiehoe
While I am OK with fans who wish to see all spoilers possible I personally avoid them.
I would rather see the show unfold as it is broadcast.
So I avoid all spoiler type topics like the Teri Hatcher threads.
I just don't want to know.
I am all for discussing after the show after it airs but by then it seems the entire episode has already been dissected and fans want to move on to future episodes.

Full disclosure I only come here for Supergirl discussion.
I do not visit the other sites.

More
27 Feb 2017 17:51 #52839 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Why so little posting?

Markiehoe wrote: I still watch the show but frankly they are losing me.
Supergirl is not the star it is an ensemble show.
She is continually rescued or bailed out of trouble by other heroes.
I can not stand this subplot with Mon El!
My number one trope I can not stand is Good Girl turns Bad.
They got that stupid one out of the way last season.
My number two trope I can not stand is Good Girl likes Bad Boy.
I am suffering through all of this season with this.

Besides her looking stunning in a wedding dress the last episode was just OK.
Mister Mxyzptlk instead of being a short, unattractive, annoying imp is now a standard CW metrosexual.
Supergirl instead of being totally repulsed by him is actually kind of attracted to him.
She even gave him a cute pet name.
If some girl I was interested in gave me a pet name I would redouble my efforts to woo her.

Sadly Supergirl is now just something to watch.

My reaction to the show is similar. In fact, it's the only CW show I can watch at all, and not regularly. I get a few episodes behind and catch up when nothing more interesting is on Not written for my interests.Just another millennial cultural mishmash. But I'm glad it's popular with that group.

The one thing I do like is the (seemingly) reasonable portrayal of Alexa's gay relationship and others open acceptance of it. Nice to see that done well on TV. That's the one thing that millennials get absolutely right -- that broadened approaches to sexual identity are no big deal. People need to be true to themselves. Only love matters.

And, of course, any successful show involving a Kryptonian is better than nothing. And might open the door to something really good someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: five_red

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Feb 2017 17:56 #52840 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Why so little posting?
Could Open the door for a possible better than half-decent movie?

More
27 Feb 2017 23:07 #52846 by shadar

Monty wrote: Could Open the door for a possible better than half-decent movie?

Here's hoping, although it's going to take some success from the studios in fixing the DC movies first. That help seems to be coming with a change in leadership, and supposedly already will influence Justice League and WW movies.

We'll see. But given they (inexcusably) rode Superman and Batman into a deep, dark hole, it can only get better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• shadar
More
28 Feb 2017 12:14 - 28 Feb 2017 12:30 #52856 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Why so little posting?
It's not just Supergirl, or even comic book shows in general.

Timeless is a case in point of a show that went off the rails. It was supposed to be about a war between two time traveling forces for control of American history, with a focus on turning point events that could change the course of history, but pretty soon the events had little or nothing to do with that. It was just a Cook's Tour through time..

Designated Survivor is another example. It started out with a brilliant idea: a terrorist attack that kills the president and most of those in line to succeed him, leaving a minor cabinet member inheriting the office. There is a story line about whether the attack was really by a jihadist group or a treasonous cabal at home. But instead of really building on that, they kept stalling and stalling, with a man tapped for vice president but apparently really part of the conspiracy managing to outfox the FBI more and more implausibly after it gets on to him.

In both cases, the producers seemed at first to have an overall plan, a true story arc, but were actually just making things up as they went along. It's as if the episodes were plotted by a random number generator. The same thing had already led to the decline of the soap opera genre, and has become endemic in superhero movies and TV series.

--Brantley
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 12:30 by brantley.

More
28 Feb 2017 15:56 #52861 by shadar

brantley wrote: It's not just Supergirl, or even comic book shows in general.

Timeless is a case in point of a show that went off the rails. It was supposed to be about a war between two time traveling forces for control of American history, with a focus on turning point events that could change the course of history, but pretty soon the events had little or nothing to do with that. It was just a Cook's Tour through time..

Designated Survivor is another example. It started out with a brilliant idea: a terrorist attack that kills the president and most of those in line to succeed him, leaving a minor cabinet member inheriting the office. There is a story line about whether the attack was really by a jihadist group or a treasonous cabal at home. But instead of really building on that, they kept stalling and stalling, with a man tapped for vice president but apparently really part of the conspiracy managing to outfox the FBI more and more implausibly after it gets on to him.

In both cases, the producers seemed at first to have an overall plan, a true story arc, but were actually just making things up as they went along. It's as if the episodes were plotted by a random number generator. The same thing had already led to the decline of the soap opera genre, and has become endemic in superhero movies and TV series.

--Brantley

Very interesting thoughts... yes, clearly many of these shows start with a strong and intriguing premise, but they seem to lose it as soon as they get going. Which ensures they begin to lose their audience, at least from my perspective.

This appears to me illogical and mysterious to me. Why would you throw away the "story capital" that you started with, the hook that drew people in, to just churn endlessly on variations of dysfunctional personal relationships?

Like you, I thought the Designated Survivor premise was brilliant. Someone who was completely ill-equipped to be President was suddenly the president, and there were huge implications regarding who might actually be behind the attacks. But after a half dozen episodes I realized the writers had lost their interest in truly telling that story. Almost as if they didn't have a plan beyond the first few episodes and didn't know how to rediscover it. The show went soft and became unfocused and mean. Sort of like politics as usual.

Several possibilities come to mind:

1) The writers/producers never intended to tell a real story, they just wanted some bait to sell the story and get a show started. It's a fraud.

2) The audience doesn't really want to see an engaging storyline unfold and reach its conclusion and instead prefer getting lost in interpersonal dysfunction (or whatever you want to call it), but they needed a hook to get started.

3) We live in a time when solving problems (which is what a story hook essentially is) is no longer important to most viewers. They just want to see a bunch of attractive people hooking up or fighting other people with no apparent goal or end in sight other than getting to the next episode.

My nagging fear is that it's the third.

I'm not normally paranoid, but maybe Orwell got it right.

• shadar
More
01 Mar 2017 18:07 - 01 Mar 2017 18:11 #52898 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Why so little posting?

shadar wrote: 3) We live in a time when solving problems (which is what a story hook essentially is) is no longer important to most viewers. They just want to see a bunch of attractive people hooking up or fighting other people with no apparent goal or end in sight other than getting to the next episode.

But... when you look at shows like Westworld, Mr. Robot, and Stranger Things, you see very well written, well thought out, complex, challenging, and engaging storytelling. Shows like Mad Men, Homeland, and The Americans, also have remained strong despite running several years, and The Walking Dead has proven that one weak season (which I personally didn't mind, actually) doesn't doom a show.

There are a number of problems with Supergirl, and to a greater or lesser extent they also affect the other CW cape shows too.

(1) Unlike the above shows, there doesn't seem to be a well worked out narrative for each season. It is as if the writers set up some interesting ideas at the start, without a solid road map of where they would go. The writing for season one seemed to have been crafted by several teams who didn't communicate with one another. It resulted in glaring continuity issues, and a choppy style that gave the impression that several people were fighting over the steering wheel. Season two, it seems, isn't much better.

(2) The relationships are scripted with the emotional depth of daytime soap opera. The characters fall in love and out of love in the course of an episode, dedicate their lives to finding their father one episode and forget about it the next, etc etc.

(3) The show is pitched -- even more so since the move to The CW -- at the intellectual level of a Millennial social media addict. It's bubblegum tweet-bate. Other shows want fans to take to the forums with complex theories and rave about the nuanced performances. Supergirl wants fans to tweet 27 pics of MB doing a cute scrunchy-face smile, and rave about which One Direction song fits each character.

(4) Specifically with Supergirl, I have a strong suspicion the producers were given Supergirl, rather than asking for her. As I've ranted and raved about before, they seem to have little understanding of the character's past or what makes her special, and 99% of the themes and ideas imported into the show from the comics have been taken from Superman.

So, yes, you're absolutely right: "They just want to see a bunch of attractive people hooking up or fighting other people with no apparent goal or end in sight other than getting to the next episode." BUT... there is clearly a massive audience for something more than just that, if the producers chose to pursue it -- Westworld et al prove that definitively. But it's a mute point -- Supergirl may not be Westworld, but it is (just about!) finding an audience with its soap opera charactisations and Indiana Jones plotting. So we just have to accept that this may not be the show that we wanted, but unfortunately there are thousands of young women with itchy Twitter fingers who disagree... So... y'know... tough!! ;)

R5
Last edit: 01 Mar 2017 18:11 by five_red. Reason: Video in widescreen

More
01 Mar 2017 18:49 #52899 by shadar

five_red wrote:

shadar wrote: 3) We live in a time when solving problems (which is what a story hook essentially is) is no longer important to most viewers. They just want to see a bunch of attractive people hooking up or fighting other people with no apparent goal or end in sight other than getting to the next episode.

But... when you look at shows like Westworld, Mr. Robot, and Stranger Things, you see very well written, well thought out, complex, challenging, and engaging storytelling. Shows like Mad Men, Homeland, and The Americans, also have remained strong despite running several years, and The Walking Dead has proven that one weak season (which I personally didn't mind, actually) doesn't doom a show.

There are a number of problems with Supergirl, and to a greater or lesser extent they also affect the other CW cape shows too.

(1) Unlike the above shows, there doesn't seem to be a well worked out narrative for each season. It is as if the writers set up some interesting ideas at the start, without a solid road map of where they would go. The writing for season one seemed to have been crafted by several teams who didn't communicate with one another. It resulted in glaring continuity issues, and a choppy style that gave the impression that several people were fighting over the steering wheel. Season two, it seems, isn't much better.

(2) The relationships are scripted with the emotional depth of daytime soap opera. The characters fall in love and out of love in the course of an episode, dedicate their lives to finding their father one episode and forget about it the next, etc etc.

(3) The show is pitched -- even more so since the move to The CW -- at the intellectual level of a Millennial social media addict. It's bubblegum tweet-bate. Other shows want fans to take to the forums with complex theories and rave about the nuanced performances. Supergirl wants fans to tweet 27 pics of MB doing a cute scrunchy-face smile, and rave about which One Direction song fits each character.

(4) Specifically with Supergirl, I have a strong suspicion the producers were given Supergirl, rather than asking for her. As I've ranted and raved about before, they seem to have little understanding of the character's past or what makes her special, and 99% of the themes and ideas imported into the show from the comics have been taken from Superman.

So, yes, you're absolutely right: "They just want to see a bunch of attractive people hooking up or fighting other people with no apparent goal or end in sight other than getting to the next episode." BUT... there is clearly a massive audience for something more than just that, if the producers chose to pursue it -- Westworld et al prove that definitively. But it's a mute point -- Supergirl may not be Westworld, but it is (just about!) finding an audience with its soap opera charactisations and Indiana Jones plotting. So we just have to accept that this may not be the show that we wanted, but unfortunately there are thousands of young women with itchy Twitter fingers who disagree... So... y'know... tough!! ;)

R5

Good points... there are good, well-written shows out there, but seemingly not Supergirl and possibly not on CW at all.

My current favorite is Expanse over on SyFy. Not perfect, but very good. They clearly have a plan and a story line that continues from episode to episode that's leading somewhere. Pretty good world-building and generally decent SciFi for TV. Same for Westworld. So SciFi clearly draws some respectable writers.

Perhaps superhero stories are TV's equivalent to the 7-11 Slurpee -- not exactly the best or classiest beverage in the drink world -- and not intended to be. And no experience or expertise is required to make them.

Shadar

• shadar
More
02 Mar 2017 16:28 - 02 Mar 2017 16:30 #52916 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Why so little posting?
Yeah Supergirl has lost me too, which is why I don't post as much about it.

Their vision of what the show should be and mine seems to have drifted irreversibly apart. Pity really, as it showed some good potential in the first season.

I much prefer watching The Flash now, and to a slightly lesser extent, Legends of Tomorrow, for my comic book fix. While certainly not of the caliber of Westworld for example, they are LIGHT-YEARS ahead of Supergirl. At least in those two shows, there is a consistent, overarching narrative, that is well plotted and presented, as well as consistent (not perfect) character development/conflicts. And also some really good, engaging, performances by the casts of the show.

I think I will leave Supergirl to the bubblegum generation, and like Shadar, watch it when I have nothing else to watch.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 02 Mar 2017 16:30 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
02 Mar 2017 22:46 #52922 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Why so little posting?

kikass2014 wrote: Yeah Supergirl has lost me too, which is why I don't post as much about it.

Their vision of what the show should be and mine seems to have drifted irreversibly apart. Pity really, as it showed some good potential in the first season.

I much prefer watching The Flash now, and to a slightly lesser extent, Legends of Tomorrow, for my comic book fix. While certainly not of the caliber of Westworld for example, they are LIGHT-YEARS ahead of Supergirl. At least in those two shows, there is a consistent, overarching narrative, that is well plotted and presented, as well as consistent (not perfect) character development/conflicts. And also some really good, engaging, performances by the casts of the show.

I think I will leave Supergirl to the bubblegum generation, and like Shadar, watch it when I have nothing else to watch.

Peace.

/K

Some of this ^^ I'm on board with, but actually:

The producers of SG should take a long hard look at Netflix' Luke Cage. This is how you display invulnerable superstrong charakters, technically and as far as storytelling relates. The way it is right now, SG is just plainly boring, downright pathetic. She's supposed to be one of the two most powerful beings on earth, but she gets her sorry ass beaten every fucking episode, time and time and time again. Just great, so why not take the superpowers away from everybody and just reshoot, idk, Birds of Prey or Electra or Xenia or whatever.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2017 23:04 #52924 by theomach
Replied by theomach on topic Why so little posting?
Start portraying her as who she is. The Girl of Steel, and The Maid of Might. Those names may seem silly nowadays, but that's who she is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, dauntingmold, kikass2014

More
03 Mar 2017 13:41 #52949 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Why so little posting?
I admit after watching the first season of Legends of Tomorrow and then the fourth season of Arrow I'm pretty much done with CW's hero shows.

They keep going back to the same goddamn well over and over across every show - women who are perpetually stuck as 13 year old candyland princesses who shriek like banshees "You have to tell me EVERYTHING" and a bunch of dipshit males chasing after dat ass so hard not one of them says "Woman, you will NEVER know all my secrets. Because 'trust' IS NOT 'total honesty'. Trust is having faith in your partner's judgement."

Honestly, I've rarely seen such a covy of WEAK female characters. I shudder to think what's come over Kara after being sentenced to the pits of that particular Writers' Room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: theomach

More
03 Mar 2017 20:48 #52969 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Why so little posting?
It looks like I really struck a nerve here. I didn't expect to get so many replies. It's pretty clear most here on this board don't like the direction season 2 is going. I agree with some of the negative comments, but not all.

If season 2 is really going downhill, than who is to blame? The new writing staff hired for season 2? The shows producers? Or, is it , the suits at the CW? A combination of all three?

• andyf
More
03 Mar 2017 21:30 #52970 by theomach
Replied by theomach on topic Why so little posting?
I think it's all three.

More
04 Mar 2017 23:16 #52983 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Why so little posting?
I actually don't think so. Move to CW provided for some better CGI and general storytelling, for all I know and care about.

It's the general setup of the show. Aside from this MB, males don't like female superheroes, so in order to get reasonable viewer numbers, SG basically still has to be weak and bumbling. On the other hand, that whole Genderism and Bisexuality and Gayism thing has to be integrated for political correctness.

The final product, I guess, is what we're getting right now.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2017 22:18 #53009 by andyf
For this weeks episode, 2x15 Exodus, the CW released 4 preview clips of various time lengths. Four scenes. Kara only appears in one of them

• andyf
More
07 Mar 2017 00:16 #53012 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic Why so little posting?
I wanted to see her be the main character. Full of power, fun, FX, and a bit more than simple shows that wrap up each episode. I still watch but only if recorded so I can fast forward to the action or interesting bits. Seems to have turned into SJW instead of SG. Too many love tri/quadrangles on top of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

• Sarge395
More
07 Mar 2017 21:17 #53025 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Why so little posting?

andyf wrote: It looks like I really struck a nerve here. I didn't expect to get so many replies. It's pretty clear most here on this board don't like the direction season 2 is going. I agree with some of the negative comments, but not all.

If season 2 is really going downhill, than who is to blame? The new writing staff hired for season 2? The shows producers? Or, is it , the suits at the CW? A combination of all three?

I'm the biggest cheerleader for superheroines around, but even I am getting a little put to sleep by the course of season 2. It's wayyyyyy to centric on the romantic connections on the team. At a minimum there have been FOUR major romances this year that are emphasized heavily in the plotlines: MM and M'gann, Supergirl and Mon-El, Sanvers, and Wynn and Lyra. Of those four, the only one that is interesting is the Sanvers relationship. All the others seem like the writers had nothing to do but throw in a romanatic relationship. The fact that they seem to NEED to place Supergirl in a relationship constantly --- Cat's son, James, Wynn, Mon-El -- makes her look desperately weak. Nothing wrong with finding love, but she reminds me of that desperate friend we all have that cannot be single for more than 30 minutes. I expected a little DEO-incest with the CW demographics, but this is so crammed down our throats its crazy.

Also bothersome are the constant "subtle" references to the current political climate and social issues. Subtle like a sledgehammer....I got no issue with the Sanvers relationship (did someone really say "gayism"?). In fact, I like it, but the immigration and parallels to our current political arena are a little overused. Snapper Carr, in his speech about the "importance of the media" should have just said "Trump" for god's sake rather than facist dictator. I thought Law & Order's schtick was "plucked from today's headlines".....

I blame the writing. Another example is the unrealistic/forced best friendship she has with Lena now. Seems a little too contrived. I'm hoping Lena is playing her (for the sake of the plot) cause everytime they are together, they don't seem like real friends. And probably wouldn't be in any normal real life scenario (based on what's played out on screen).

It seems like they are getting by these days on gimicky guest stars (Superman, Flash x-over, Teri hatcher, Dean Cain) as a crutch rather than mapping out a really cool storyline. This always amazes me cause they have at least a bunch of good outlines in comic book form that they can take from. The current problem being that when you carve out time to move Kar-el, Sanvers, and Wynn-ra along, that leaves little time for "plot". A disappointing Season 2 to say the least.

On the brighter side, I do like MB carrying her Supergirl persona with more confidence and bravado this season.

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R, Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
07 Mar 2017 21:42 #53027 by Markiehoe
The Supergirl parts of the last episode were pretty cool.
She actually saves Lena at her moment of need.
Just like a Superhero.
For a heartbeat i thought the writers were killing off Lena so good job there.

Then Supergirl stops the launching Spaceship!
Wow.
That was exciting.
Alex gave her that little extra boost to help her save the day.
Just like a sidekick should.

And then the sacrifice.
She , rightfully so, loses her beloved job.
Snapper was absolutely right to fire her.
I thought from the beginning of this season Cara should have become a Blogger to reflect the 21st century not a print reporter like the 19th century.

So then Alex is dismissed from the DEO right?
Nope.
Oh well.

More
07 Mar 2017 22:33 #53028 by andyf
I read a review of 2x14 at krytonsite.com where reviewer said, and where I agree as well, that it seems like Kara is a supporting character on her own show in season 2.

With all the attention the other charcters are getting, plus SJW pandering, Supergirl feel s less like a superhero drama and more like something .... else. Did you notice that in this weeks episode, Supergirl had no real fight scenes. Sure, her stopping spacecraft from jumping to lightspeed was impressive and very Supergirl-like, but having the other characters, especially Alex, do all the real fighting seemed really weird.

Speaking of the spacecraft scene, at the end of it was Kara along with the ship, really floating above the earth in space?

Can Supergirl fly through space after all?

• andyf
More
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds