Amount

Why so little posting?

07 Mar 2017 23:27 #53029 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Why so little posting?
I think it says something about me (and the show) that the most convincing and enjoyable character for me is Snapper. For the tiny bit of screen time he gets, he at least comes across as real. Especially that ironic and dry sense of humor of his. The couple of old-timey newspaper men I've met were a lot like him. So his role is convincing.

Anyway, pretty sad when Snapper rises to the top. But then, Calista's role was great fun in Season 1. Hopefully, they won't write him out now.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
08 Mar 2017 01:20 #53031 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Why so little posting?

lfan wrote: ...

Also bothersome are the constant "subtle" references to the current political climate and social issues. Subtle like a sledgehammer....I got no issue with the Sanvers relationship (did someone really say "gayism"?). In fact, I like it, but the immigration and parallels to our current political arena are a little overused. Snapper Carr, in his speech about the "importance of the media" should have just said "Trump" for god's sake rather than facist dictator. I thought Law & Order's schtick was "plucked from today's headlines".....

A disappointing Season 2 to say the least.

On the brighter side, I do like MB carrying her Supergirl persona with more confidence and bravado this season.

ElF

Yeah, I've said "gayism", and why not? I can put an "ism" on any of this "modern" "politically correct" BS, as well as on the complete opposite nowadays, it's become completely arbitrary and hence meaningless.

Meanwhile, the harder this show tries to promote feminism, gender equality, anti-racism and what do I know more, the harder it fails. [And no, I'm all for equal rights, but I still hold the door open for women and mostly they wouldn't want it any other way]. As I've said before, take a long hard look at S01 of Luke Cage. Hardcore racist show (black power), but who cares? This is how it should be done, and it's awesome! But then again, as I've stated time and time again, MB is a complete miscast. Can't go any other way with her, I guess.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2017 04:25 #53033 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Why so little posting?
Disagree with the miscast of MB. I think she's a pretty good actress but just is caught in the crossfire of bad writing as well as miscast identity. PC themes aside, the show basically characterises SG/Kara as a female Clark Kent, bumblingly awkward and over the top when it comes to the Truth, Justice and American Way stuff. Wish they would have gone with an edgier Kara -- almost rebellious -- with a wilder spirit, kinda rushing in without thinking.

As you say, the show tries to cram the feminist agenda down our throats society overtly, rather than just simply SHOWING that a heroine can kick ass and take names. You mention Luke Cage, and I agree that's a good blueprint, but the producers should also watch Jessica Jones. Sure the characters are polar opposites kinda, but they still manage to make a heroine as capable as any guy in that show without the whole feminism angle.being recycled every episode.

ElF

rebel4life wrote:

lfan wrote: ...

Also bothersome are the constant "subtle" references to the current political climate and social issues. Subtle like a sledgehammer....I got no issue with the Sanvers relationship (did someone really say "gayism"?). In fact, I like it, but the immigration and parallels to our current political arena are a little overused. Snapper Carr, in his speech about the "importance of the media" should have just said "Trump" for god's sake rather than facist dictator. I thought Law & Order's schtick was "plucked from today's headlines".....

A disappointing Season 2 to say the least.

On the brighter side, I do like MB carrying her Supergirl persona with more confidence and bravado this season.

ElF

Yeah, I've said "gayism", and why not? I can put an "ism" on any of this "modern" "politically correct" BS, as well as on the complete opposite nowadays, it's become completely arbitrary and hence meaningless.

Meanwhile, the harder this show tries to promote feminism, gender equality, anti-racism and what do I know more, the harder it fails. [And no, I'm all for equal rights, but I still hold the door open for women and mostly they wouldn't want it any other way]. As I've said before, take a long hard look at S01 of Luke Cage. Hardcore racist show (black power), but who cares? This is how it should be done, and it's awesome! But then again, as I've stated time and time again, MB is a complete miscast. Can't go any other way with her, I guess.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, theomach

More
08 Mar 2017 07:49 - 08 Mar 2017 10:54 #53035 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Why so little posting?
I'll echo what many others seem to be saying also, all I wanted from this series was a powerful kickass female who was the hero of the show. I'm not as patient as many of you though, I stopped watching after the umpteenth time she got her ass kicked with Alex/J'onn/Jimmy/Winn/Lena/Mon-El/ or a passing Vagrant coming to her rescue. I know she has to be challenged, but it's really difficult to take her seriously as a hero when a photographer puts up a better effort in a fight than she does.

As to the question who is to blame, we'll all have our different theories, mine is that it was the decision to renew season 2 over at the CW. I read on a blog which is linked to this thread, that the CW is a channel about men for men, an opinion I agree with, but a category Supergirl does not (or should not) fall into. I don't think the channel knew what to do with the show to appeal to the audience they have. Perhaps this is why the show has moved focus away from Supergirl.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 10:54 by dauntingmold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rebel4life

More
08 Mar 2017 14:34 - 08 Mar 2017 14:35 #53038 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Why so little posting?
It's not that a superwoman can't face challenges. But they have to make sense in terms of HER reality, in a believable background. That's why the Aurora Universe stories of Shadar and others inspired by him first appealed to me, and that's the course I've tried to follow. My most successful effort, judging from the number of hits since 2010 (over 12,000) has been Kalla in Empress of the Dawn:

www.brightempire.com/empress.pdf

Just posted an update of the third story in the Empress series.

www.brightempire.com/Empress-3.pdf

Plenty of challenge and heartache, but no vagrants! :)

--Brantley
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 14:35 by brantley.

More
11 Mar 2017 00:15 #53086 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Why so little posting?
Like Shadar, Snapper is also my favorite character next to MB. I think of Brantley, Shader and myself as the old guys on this site (as in old enough to have purchased Action 252 when it first came out). We have waited a very long time for an SG show, and I for one really enjoy watching this one after waiting so long. I love looking at MB in her red and blues and I watch it live every week with my wife who loves MB and all the hunks on the show. Never forget that TV
Is a business, not an art form. Would I like to see MB more super? You bet, but if she was as super as she is in the comics, the show would only be 5 minutes. I would much rather see the others get in trouble and have SG save the day than the way it usually goes. MB is the perfect sweet girl next door. If I could make changes to the show, Jim would go back to being the art director and snapper would be the boss. Kara would be a little more mature, especially in here love life but I have a feeling that the WB knows what pays the bills. My advice to you is to enjoy this show while you can. I highly doubt that I will ever see another SG show in my lifetime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mo, Sarge395, shadar, five_red, andyf, Gargamel

More
14 Mar 2017 23:05 #53164 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Why so little posting?
Quick question. Is there something going on in the states with regards to TV shows?

I ask since the last couple of weeks, it seems to have been on/off with Supergirl. This also applies to their other shows - Flash, Legends and Arrow (I think, but I dont follow that).

I understand there is a mid-season break, but is it normal to break up the tale-end like this? I don't remember it happening last season (thought I could be wrong).

Is something taking the regular slot for these shows on alternating weeks or something?

Thank you.

Peace.

/K

More
15 Mar 2017 08:33 #53170 by ace191
March madness with college basketball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, kikass2014

More
15 Mar 2017 10:13 #53173 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Why so little posting?
Ah ok. Ty :)

Peace.

/K

More
15 Mar 2017 15:02 #53174 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Why so little posting?

ace191 wrote: March madness with college basketball.

I was actually wondering this myself. It shows my total lack of awareness of sports that I had no idea. Yes, I'm American. I just don't think about normal TV at all, I just notice "hey there aren't any new episodes to stream!". I have heard of this "march madness" thing, but w/o TV, or having to fake idle sports chit chat, I was totally oblivious.

Others can like sports if they like, I just don't care for most (Women's Beach Volleyball OTH...).

More
15 Mar 2017 15:49 #53175 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Why so little posting?
Would you watch the UConn women's basketball team? They've won more than 100 games in a row, and have a clear shot at the NCAA title.

--Brantley

More
15 Mar 2017 20:30 #53182 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Why so little posting?

brantley wrote: Would you watch the UConn women's basketball team? They've won more than 100 games in a row, and have a clear shot at the NCAA title.

--Brantley

Well, it does have _women's_ in the title, so it's got that going for it. The rest is interesting, it's fun to watch really skilled people do things ... but I generally pass at sports.

My family played Tennis (I play very badly) and therefore watched a lot of Tennis. I can't really follow men's tennis, women's tennis is much more enjoybale (depending on who is playing). (I can also follow the game better as it's a bit slower.)

Am I a sexist pig? Dunno. Fit women prancing around grabs my attention. ;-) Some crossfit like compettion was playing on the screen at the mExican restaurant the other day. Now THAT I could watch ...

More
16 Mar 2017 01:26 #53184 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Why so little posting?

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

brantley wrote: Would you watch the UConn women's basketball team? They've won more than 100 games in a row, and have a clear shot at the NCAA title.

--Brantley

Well, it does have _women's_ in the title, so it's got that going for it. The rest is interesting, it's fun to watch really skilled people do things ... but I generally pass at sports.

My family played Tennis (I play very badly) and therefore watched a lot of Tennis. I can't really follow men's tennis, women's tennis is much more enjoybale (depending on who is playing). (I can also follow the game better as it's a bit slower.)

Am I a sexist pig? Dunno. Fit women prancing around grabs my attention. ;-) Some crossfit like compettion was playing on the screen at the mExican restaurant the other day. Now THAT I could watch ...

Holy shit, the only thing on earth worse than woman soccer is woman basketball. Aside from volleyball/beachball and lingerie football, there is no such thing as watchable women team sports. Face it. Am I a sexist pig? Damn better count on it, and a proud one, too. And I still adore female beauty.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2017 03:31 #53186 by ace191
Ok, I will come clean. I like watching women's ice skating and tennis when they wear their little skirt outfits. Supergirl's original outfit was a figure skating outfit
With a short cape and boots like superman.

More
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds