Amount

New Suit Coming For Season 5

17 Jul 2019 23:27 #64539 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

Monty wrote: Supergirl has always been upset when she saw her mother as a hologram in her fortress reminding her of home.

If I saw a life-like hologram of my dead parents in my childhood home, I'd be pretty emotional too. And amazed. Upset...? Probably not, given that implies a loss of emotional control. More sad than upset, but maybe a bit happy too, thinking of good times. 

I would not need therapy afterward.

Nor does Kara Zor El.  

And Kal El used to talk to a hologram of his father all the time. 

They need to stop trying to turn Kara into a snowflake. She's the Girl of Steel.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Ravens_ghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2019 10:16 #64543 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

shadar wrote:

murdough wrote:

Klaus wrote: A therapy story-line could work... for a more grounded hero. Not for supergirl. Never for supergirl.

Barry and Iris went to marriage/couples counselling in season 4, and Oliver *should* have seen a therapist from day one since he was a poster boy for PTSD 

Ok, but they aren’t Kryptonians. 

Does Superman go to a therapist to talk and cry about his problems? 

Not my Superman.

Or my idea of Supergirl either. She watched her entire friggin’ planet blow up. And she handled that and grew up Ok. She’s never been haunted by PTSD. She’s Supergirl. 

But now she needs a therapist to handle Earth problems? 

This idea of making Supergirl more normal and more human and fragile inside doesn’t work for me. Because she isn’t. That’s the point of the character. 

She can pretend to be human, but in every way, she isn’t.

Shadar

In the 70s there were a few stories with both Superman and Supergirl going through existential problems. In one instance Superman felt more and more disconnected from both Earth and Krypton, as if he didn't belong on either of them. The result was that Supergirl tried (in a pretty clumsy way) to help him by removing the problem -- the best possible therapy according to Kryptonian psychotherapists -- and convince Kal that Krypton was a lie and he was, in fact, a mutant.
Similarly, during her college/hotpants era, Supergirl had to deal with a number of very normal problems and insecurities, mostly linked to her inability to have a normal relationship with a guy. In a number of issues she actually called herself "the loneliest girl in the universe" and envied her classmates, who could hug others without crushing them to death.

(formerly Anon, still Librarian)

"What is the point of having free will if one cannot occasionally spit in the eye of destiny?" ("Gentleman" John Marcone)
The following user(s) said Thank You: andyf

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Librarian
  • Librarian
More
21 Jul 2019 01:53 #64570 by murdough
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Monty, guimachajo1

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
21 Jul 2019 04:32 #64573 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Raa, guimachajo1

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
  • SWM - Junior
  • SWM - Junior
More
22 Jul 2019 18:11 - 22 Jul 2019 18:29 #64607 by shadar
You know, I get into the pants versus skirt argument, and I was kind of weakening toward the pants being Ok for Supergirl, and then I came across this old photo-enhance. 

Nope. To heck with pants. This is my idea of Supergirl:

And frankly, hot pants work just fine too:

Shadar

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 22 Jul 2019 18:29 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa, cristian01984, guimachajo1

More
22 Jul 2019 19:43 #64608 by fats
Replied by fats on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
let's be honest, the new suit is part of the desexualisation of supergirl which is in part of the new puritaian regime in America.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
22 Jul 2019 21:38 #64609 by shadar

fats wrote: let's be honest, the new suit is part of the desexualisation of supergirl which is in part of the new puritaian regime in America.

Fats

You might be right, but I don’t see it as a return to Puritanism, but rather an outgrowth of sexual equality.

If women are equal, then you can’t sexualize them.

i understand the goal, and intellectually I see it a good goal given what I saw years ago in the workplace, but I miss women being women. 

My Supergirl will never wear pants. She’s not a unit that can be interchanged with a guy or a “they” non-gender person.

That’s a bridge too far. 

Shadar

More
22 Jul 2019 23:19 - 22 Jul 2019 23:21 #64610 by shadar
The other argument that falls on deaf ears these days is that Supergirl, as is the case with my Velorians, don't suffer from sexualization or exploitation. No man is going to do anything to them that they don't wish. 

Being superstrong and invulnerable, they aren't tuned in to sexual politics. They wear tiny bits of clothing becasue they don't need clothing, and that's what people wore back on their home planets, and excess clothing just gets in the way or gets torn off when they're doing super stuff anyway.  That's the practical aspect. 

And as I see it, when SG is dealing with physically violent criminals, they are almost always dealing with highly-testoterized men. So being sexually distracting is useful, given those kind of men tend to discount the power of highly sexualized women and see them as someone to exploit. That works fine to help SG or whatever Vel they are dealing with get close to criminals without anyone else getting hurt. And most men don't think clearly when their blood is rushing out of their brains and headed southward. 

But, of course, those kind of arguments don't hold water with the younger half of the population today, who see tiny skirts and so forth as male objectification. They don't go the extra step to say that maybe that is actually a good thing for SG.

And let's face it, to some degree they are right. Given most of us are male, and most comics writers have historically been male, there is certainly validity in claims of over-sexualization for personal  reasons. 

But in the context of this genre, I say, go for it. Fantasy shouldn't get overly burdened with the politics of the day. 

Shows like HBO's Game of Thrones did a terrible job with equal treatment of women, and went overboard on depicting sexualization, and it was very popular for men and women.

I think the core problem is that CW tries to be a mirror for all forms of Millennial (and younger) sensitivities, and as a result they write all kinds of culturally-polluted fantasy.

The real wonder and beauty of fantasy is that it sails above the various interpretations of current culture, unthetered from all restraint, or it damn well should. 

Shadar
Last edit: 22 Jul 2019 23:21 by shadar.

More
23 Jul 2019 00:29 #64611 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
That costume... I hadn't realized Captain Marvel had gotten a TV show.

Of course, I've been told here how off base I was for not liking Captain Marvel's modern outfit for being WAY TOO Superman color pallette. Glad I was just clueless on that front.

More
23 Jul 2019 01:44 #64612 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

let's be honest, the new suit is part of the desexualisation of supergirl which is in part of the new puritaian regime in  SJW/leftist America. 

Fats

Close.  Fixed it for you.

Peace.

/K

More
23 Jul 2019 02:16 - 23 Jul 2019 02:16 #64615 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote:

let's be honest, the new suit is part of the desexualisation of supergirl which is in part of the new puritaian regime in  SJW/leftist America. 

Fats

Close.  Fixed it for you.

Peace.

/K

Well, whatever it is, it's the future. Children inherit the Earth. 

I blame it all on Captain Marvel. If Marvel had gone with any of her more traditional costumes, and the show was an equal success (as I'm sure it would be) Supergirl would be sporting a bared midriff next season. And maybe a shorter skirt.  <grin>

Shadar
Last edit: 23 Jul 2019 02:16 by shadar.

More
23 Jul 2019 04:52 #64616 by Pepper
Replied by Pepper on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

shadar wrote: Being superstrong and invulnerable, they aren't tuned in to sexual politics. They wear tiny bits of clothing becasue they don't need clothing, and that's what people wore back on their home planets, and excess clothing just gets in the way or gets torn off when they're doing super stuff anyway.  That's the practical aspect. 

And as I see it, when SG is dealing with physically violent criminals, they are almost always dealing with highly-testoterized men. So being sexually distracting is useful, given those kind of men tend to discount the power of highly sexualized women and see them as someone to exploit. That works fine to help SG or whatever Vel they are dealing with get close to criminals without anyone else getting hurt. And most men don't think clearly when their blood is rushing out of their brains and headed southward.

I think it's possible to make exactly the opposite argument; that Supergirl so surpasses any guy she's fighting that she doesn't need to be distracting, but as an inspiration and a role model (which she can't dictate by strength alone) she sees value in being seen for her accomplishments more than for her appearance.

I don't think either analysis is inherently more correct than the other.  I don't think either outfit is objectively sexier than the other.  I kinda like the skin-tight look.  I suspect there are guys who think it's a huge improvement.

More
23 Jul 2019 07:16 - 23 Jul 2019 07:20 #64619 by shadar
Here's Kara in a full coverage uniform... I think the issue was sometime in the late 70's, but not sure. She may have worn this for several issues. 

So she hasn't always had bare legs in the comics. 

But a few years earlier, this is how she was drawn and protrayed. I prefer the train picture. By a lot. 

Shadar

Last edit: 23 Jul 2019 07:20 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, jyache, aguilauno

More
23 Jul 2019 19:35 #64630 by Agent00Soul
Replied by Agent00Soul on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
I wonder if this is more of a publicity stunt and they intend on going back to the original costume after a few episodes.  It's an old trick in the comic book industry - I'm thinking of Spider-Man's original black symbiote costume and Superman's red and blue period.  Of course, no old school superhero has changed costumes more often than Supergirl herself - it's been part of her character since the late 1960s, as everyone here already knows.

More
24 Jul 2019 02:02 - 24 Jul 2019 02:04 #64640 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

shadar wrote: Here's Kara in a full coverage uniform... I think the issue was sometime in the late 70's, but not sure. She may have worn this for several issues. 

But a few years earlier, this is how she was drawn and protrayed. I prefer the train picture. By a lot. 

Shadar

Going to give super-props for pulling up that costume!.  But I'm going to be pointlessly pedantic and take issue with "what she was wearing a few years before".

Hot Pants first appeared in Adventure Comics 410, September 1971.  She wears them in 411, after changing up her shoes.   (I love those damn laces.)

The pictures you posted of the costume with legs are from Adventure Comics 412 (November 1971).  (She also wore it in 413,she cycled through a lot of costumes around then)  That's at most two months... BUT ....

The train image you posted isn't from 410 (she had ballerina slippers that laced up her calves in that issue) and it's also not from 411.  Which means the hot pants train image is newer than the one from 412.  I recognize the panel, but I don't remember which issue it's from and I can't find the damn box with the Adventure Supergirl's in them to peg the issue.  But I'm fairly confident that it is newer unless it's from Superman Family.  ;-)

Still, this is pointlessly nitpicky/nerdy.  I just like Hot Pants Supergirl a lot too, so I'm pretty familiar with those issues/timeline. I'm a bit miffed that I can't peg the issue on that image. It's not from Supergirl (volume 1) I flipped through the issues on Comixology. So it probably has to be from Adventure Comics or Superman Family....

Again, sorry.  This post was hopelessly stupidly nerdy about a useless point next to the main point.

To make up for it, if you want a HOT Supergirl (Superwoman) wearing pants, look to Elseworlds Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl (I Have a figure of her on my desk right now!):

(best image I could find via google)

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 24 Jul 2019 02:04 by TwiceOnThursdays. Reason: took out duplicate image
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, Monty

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
24 Jul 2019 02:46 #64642 by TwiceOnThursdays
To the interest likely no one but me... 

I didn't read the issue but I found train image referenced as being from Adventure Comics 414.

maidofmight.wordpress.com/part-four-no-s...gs-some-rock-n-roll/

(all the way at the bottom.)

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
24 Jul 2019 03:10 #64643 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5
Melissa still looks gorgeous.  Show is not watchable for me.  Too much politics injected into it and little that I believe in.  I speed through it or see the good action clips online elsewhere.  

Will be interesting to see if they improve the FX and if they show her ass off now that upskirt is not an issue.  Dreaming there a bit.  

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
24 Jul 2019 03:36 - 24 Jul 2019 03:39 #64647 by shadar
Twice... Here a a few of my images from that issue:

A cleaner version of the one you Googled:

And a full physique image:

She's strong (duh):

And a really fun scene where she attends a book signing for her friend, and they talk over the heads of everyone. 
Kara is very statuesque in her civvies. 

Shadar

Last edit: 24 Jul 2019 03:39 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jyache, TwiceOnThursdays

More
24 Jul 2019 04:49 #64650 by TwiceOnThursdays
That issue of Elseworld's Finest is one fo my favorite comics.

I like a wide range of musculature on women (though I can easily find art on DA that is "too much" for me).  I was really happy when this came out as it's a muscular Supergirl.  It's a nice change of pace.  Mind, I"m glad it's not mainline Supergirl.  Power Girl should fill that niche.

The story?   It's a pretty decent Elseworld's story.  But for people that the art hits a sweet spot for them, I suggest looking it up.

I keep thinking I should start a thread of "Great Moments in Super Femme Comics".   The Silver Age thread was fantastic.  (Any thread where I learn things about comics I didn't know is fantastic, esp since that doesn't happen often.  SWM is filled with amazing people.)

• TwiceOnThursdays
  • Uberposter
  • Uberposter
More
24 Jul 2019 18:25 #64664 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic New Suit Coming For Season 5

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

shadar wrote: Here's Kara in a full coverage uniform... I think the issue was sometime in the late 70's, but not sure. She may have worn this for several issues. 

Shadar

Going to give super-props for pulling up that costume!.  But I'm going to be pointlessly pedantic and take issue with "what she was wearing a few years before".

Hot Pants first appeared in Adventure Comics 410, September 1971.  She wears them in 411, after changing up her shoes.   (I love those damn laces.)

The pictures you posted of the costume with legs are from Adventure Comics 412 (November 1971).  (She also wore it in 413,she cycled through a lot of costumes around then)  That's at most two months... BUT ....

The train image you posted isn't from 410 (she had ballerina slippers that laced up her calves in that issue) and it's also not from 411.  Which means the hot pants train image is newer than the one from 412.  I recognize the panel, but I don't remember which issue it's from and I can't find the damn box with the Adventure Supergirl's in them to peg the issue.  But I'm fairly confident that it is newer unless it's from Superman Family.  ;-)

Still, this is pointlessly nitpicky/nerdy.  I just like Hot Pants Supergirl a lot too, so I'm pretty familiar with those issues/timeline. I'm a bit miffed that I can't peg the issue on that image. It's not from Supergirl (volume 1) I flipped through the issues on Comixology. So it probably has to be from Adventure Comics or Superman Family....

Again, sorry.  This post was hopelessly stupidly nerdy about a useless point next to the main point.

To make up for it, if you want a HOT Supergirl (Superwoman) wearing pants, look to Elseworlds Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl (I Have a figure of her on my desk right now!):

(best image I could find via google)

Ah... I remember this comic adventure very well - She really WAS Supergirl!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, TwiceOnThursdays

More
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds