Amount

Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

15 May 2015 20:06 - 15 May 2015 20:07 #42057 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

Brad2 wrote: Probably trivial, but one wonders about the transformation details. How does she keep a long cape hidden under her disguise? Or does she simply grab it and put it on when she transforms? What does she do if the outfit isn't on or with her and she has to transform?
.


YOU SHUT UP!!!!

SHUT UP RIGHT NOW!!!

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE LOGIC OF A SUPERHERO WEARING THERE COSTUMES UNDFER THE CLOTHES!!

I mean if you know a better way of having your costume ready..i would like to hear it. (scoffs)
Last edit: 15 May 2015 20:07 by castor.
The topic has been locked.
  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
15 May 2015 20:15 - 15 May 2015 20:16 #42058 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
You know, one of the few things that bothered me in the Supergirl trailer was that 3 people (Alex, Wyatt, James) seemed to know her secret so early on. But then I got to thinking about the Flash (which I love) and even before the first season wraps, we have EVERY main character in the cast know that Barry is the Flash:

Barry (duh)
Wells
Caitlin
Cisco
Joe
Eddie
Iris

And of these cast members one (Wells) is a villain and one (Caitlin) will become a villain. Add to that at least 2 other villains that have learned his secret during Season 1 and you have the worst secret identity ever! Of course, being Flash, he could pull some Flashpoint/Time Travel mumbo jumbo and reset it. But the fact everyone knows doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series as far as I'm concerned, so I'm kinda retreating a little bit on my critique of that fact in the Supergirl trailer.

ElF
Last edit: 15 May 2015 20:16 by lfan.
The topic has been locked.
  • lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • SWM - Administrator
  • SWM - Administrator
More
15 May 2015 20:35 #42060 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

Brad2 wrote: Probably trivial, but one wonders about the transformation details. How does she keep a long cape hidden under her disguise? Or does she simply grab it and put it on when she transforms? What does she do if the outfit isn't on or with her and she has to transform?

I mean, I know it makes sense for her close friends and/or family to know her secret identity, but what about other workers? What about villains? Or the general public?


I pray to all the gods and goddesses of That Which Is NOT Stupid that by mid-season she's dumped the job. Not only because its a MONSTEROUS waste of her abilities, but because every minute she's there endangers her co-workers, any possibility of maintaining a secret identity, and by extension her family.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 May 2015 20:47 #42061 by ArgentDragon
Replied by ArgentDragon on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

AuGoose wrote:

Brad2 wrote: Probably trivial, but one wonders about the transformation details. How does she keep a long cape hidden under her disguise? Or does she simply grab it and put it on when she transforms? What does she do if the outfit isn't on or with her and she has to transform?

I mean, I know it makes sense for her close friends and/or family to know her secret identity, but what about other workers? What about villains? Or the general public?


I pray to all the gods and goddesses of That Which Is NOT Stupid that by mid-season she's dumped the job. Not only because its a MONSTEROUS waste of her abilities, but because every minute she's there endangers her co-workers, any possibility of maintaining a secret identity, and by extension her family.


I disagree. The job serves two purposes. First, she's working for a media conglomerate, giving her up to the second access on news that is happening and alerting her to crisises that are happening right then. Second, it helps keep Kara grounded as a person, having a normal life that she can fall back on to escape the demands of being 'on duty' 24/7. Check out the first issue of 'Astor City' to see what can happen when an uber-powerful character like Kara/Clark starts suffering from burnout over self-imposed responsibility.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 May 2015 21:19 - 15 May 2015 21:29 #42062 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I can't see myself being all that happy to find out that a public superbeing - the kind people will be throwing weapons of mass destruction against because nothing less will matter - decided it was cool to chill out in my workplace without telling anyone now commuting to Impending Ground Zero every day... There's an element of informed consent missing that's just a bit creepy, really. But the 100% complete absence of collateral damage is just one of that cluster of 1950s comic-book tropes that goes along with maskless characters being immune to facial recognition by people or machines...

I can (and will) live with it. But I don't have to be thrilled about it :).

Fortunately there's a good 40% chance I'll just stare at the costumes and special effects and shut off my brain for the larger part of an hour B).
Last edit: 15 May 2015 21:29 by AuGoose.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 00:37 - 16 May 2015 00:38 #42067 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Anytime you read a comic book....Watch A Comic Book TV show....Or read a Story on SWM....Its always recommended to shut your brain off
Last edit: 16 May 2015 00:38 by d_k_c.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 00:58 - 16 May 2015 00:59 #42068 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
YouTube comment attacks seem to largely fall into three categories:
  1. Oh... so now DC have come up with a SuperGIRL ?!? How original !! More politically correct nonsense !!
  2. What, she has friends and a social life ?!?? That's so girly !! Superheroes are supposed to be angry butt kickers 24 / 7; they aren't supposed to have (shudder!) friends !!
  3. The makers are bozos; have they even bothered to read all of the current DC books? This is totally outside official DC continuity !! What pocket universe is this in, huh... answer me that !? How is it even supposed to relate to the Dark Knight movies?

The people who like it seem to get that it owes more to the brighter, more uplifting, superhero shows and movies of 30+ years ago, than the darker, grittier, angrier, screen superheroes of recent years.

One guy complained that the whole thing was ruined for him because a four engine plane would never go down that fast after losing only two engines. Bizarrely he seems not to have noticed the woman flying unaided beneath the fuselage..! B)

R5

Supergirl Pre-Crisis Chronology: www.superwomenmania.com/supergirltl/
Supergirl: the Life and Times of Kara Zor-El: maidofmight.wordpress.com/
DeviantArt: 5red.deviantart.com/
Blog: x5red.tumblr.com/
Last edit: 16 May 2015 00:59 by five_red.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 01:28 #42069 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

five_red wrote: One guy complained that the whole thing was ruined for him because a four engine plane would never go down that fast after losing only two engines. Bizarrely he seems not to have noticed the woman flying unaided beneath the fuselage..! B)

R5


That and the fact that the engines would not be on fire like that and the masks would not deploy and the fact that with 2 good engines the aircraft would be able to go transatlantic if needs be. I could go on for hours.

Fats
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 01:29 #42070 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
we are now at 6 million views for the 6 minute trailer.

this could be the series that we as a site have been wanting for years, I for one love the trailer, I got a preview of it a few days before the release, but that was a 10 min preview not the 6 that is online, I’m working to secure a preview copy of the pilot to do a review for the site, and before you ask no I will not post the preview file on the site.

Is the trailer perfect, no. Is it factually correct, no. what it is, is a entertaining look in to something that we have only seen in one second rate film and a ton of low budget material that is posted on the net. We have to keep that this is for the mainstream of the populous not for us uber geeks. November is fat too long for most of us to wait me included, lets be happy that it's happened and that we are getting it. My main fear is that some producers could go out of business because who is going to pay $12 for a 5 minute web vid when you will get a hour long show that has high production values.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 01:48 #42072 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

fats wrote: we are now at 6 million views for the 6 minute trailer.

Is the trailer perfect, no. Is it factually correct, no. what it is, is a entertaining look in to something that we have only seen in one second rate film and a ton of low budget material that is posted on the net. We have to keep that this is for the mainstream of the populous not for us uber geeks. November is fat too long for most of us to wait me included, lets be happy that it's happened and that we are getting it. My main fear is that some producers could go out of business because who is going to pay $12 for a 5 minute web vid when you will get a hour long show that has high production values.

Fats


The way i look at it is...why sell 5 minute videos for 12 bucks to maybe 50 guys...when you 6 million people will watch a trailer like this.

The audience for this kinda stuff is bigger then you think.

i want to say supergirl.tv has something like 25,000 fans now on facebook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
The topic has been locked.
  • castor
  • castor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Uberposter of Distinction
  • Uberposter of Distinction
More
16 May 2015 02:21 #42073 by enchantederotica
Replied by enchantederotica on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Let me be in the minority and say that this trailer makes me pine for the Captain Marvel movie. Nothing against CBS, but DC is pretty crappy with their female characters. Marvel is no gem, but I am DYING for a strong, independent, CONFIDENT female superhero. I long for 80s-90s heroines like Xena, Ripley, and Sarah Conner. The only one IMO right now who is truly a badass female lead is Agents of Shield’s Melinda May. Marvel has a shot at doing a super-awesome, super-badass, non-babe super-woman who is confident with her powers and ready to beat the hell out of anyone in her path, and I hope they do it. Like Tasha Yar + Superman, that’s how I see Carol Danvers.

The best part (sarcastically) in the trailer: “I can’t fight crime in this! (Spandex).” ... oh, but a cheerleader-mini-skirt. Sure. That’ll do.

And yes, I write about half-to-nearly naked girls with superpowers who have sex a lot. I like my sexy superwomen sexy and carefree and my crime-fighting superwomen completely badass. I guess I like Smallville’s Supergirl more than this. At least she seemed tough and badass.

Supernautral women with superpowered sex-drives: www.enchantederotica.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuGoose
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 02:36 #42074 by kshoo
Replied by kshoo on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
I admit i'm quite intrigued with the trailers (then again, i've been intrigued with MANY trailers...that's what it's meant to do right?). And regardless of the each side of the fence, i'm in the camp of "Let's see how it goes". Regardless of whether you like it or not, chances are many eyeballs will be on the show when it airs.
And I have to say this - "WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER TO SEE THIS?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 03:30 #42075 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Just spotted a split-second moment that is there with the knocking over the poor guy on the pavement....just after her "OH! COME ON!" moment with the plane, she steps out into the room in costume and 'steels' her arms. Amazing!
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 04:31 #42076 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

fats wrote:

five_red wrote: One guy complained that the whole thing was ruined for him because a four engine plane would never go down that fast after losing only two engines. Bizarrely he seems not to have noticed the woman flying unaided beneath the fuselage..! B)

R5


That and the fact that the engines would not be on fire like that and the masks would not deploy and the fact that with 2 good engines the aircraft would be able to go transatlantic if needs be. I could go on for hours.

Fats


Agree... also the idea of lifting it with her hands on the outer skin was bad. She'd need to tear her way inside the central structure to find anything strong enough to exert that much pressure. Also everything about the pilots was hokey.

But.... But... BUT, Supergirl was carrying it, tilting it nearly 90 degrees to go through a bridge, scrubbing off one wingtip and gently splashing down in the water. Then climbing soaking wet onto the wing, looking totally elated. Screw reality... that was GREAT!

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: somat
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 04:39 #42077 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

enchantederotica wrote: Let me be in the minority and say that this trailer makes me pine for the Captain Marvel movie. Nothing against CBS, but DC is pretty crappy with their female characters. Marvel is no gem, but I am DYING for a strong, independent, CONFIDENT female superhero. I long for 80s-90s heroines like Xena, Ripley, and Sarah Conner. The only one IMO right now who is truly a badass female lead is Agents of Shield’s Melinda May. Marvel has a shot at doing a super-awesome, super-badass, non-babe super-woman who is confident with her powers and ready to beat the hell out of anyone in her path, and I hope they do it. Like Tasha Yar + Superman, that’s how I see Carol Danvers.

The best part (sarcastically) in the trailer: “I can’t fight crime in this! (Spandex).” ... oh, but a cheerleader-mini-skirt. Sure. That’ll do.

And yes, I write about half-to-nearly naked girls with superpowers who have sex a lot. I like my sexy superwomen sexy and carefree and my crime-fighting superwomen completely badass. I guess I like Smallville’s Supergirl more than this. At least she seemed tough and badass.


"Tasha Yar + Superman". That is a great description of Carol Danvers. I'd like to see her too. Ex-military, ex-intelligence agent, highly-intelligent and kick ass. Also sexy as hell when she meets a man who can keep up.

But for the moment, I'm going to enjoy a Glee-full cute Supergirl.

Shadar
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 07:00 #42079 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
Last time I checked, TV was a visual medium. What kind of visual would a plane flying on 3 engines after the crew had cut off the fuel and hit the fire bottles as it gently banked into the side with the two good engines make? Not a very good one in my opinion. And what are the odds of an engine on the opposite wing catching fire as well? This is called poetic license and I thought it looked pretty good and neither my wife nor my daughter understand or care about any of that. They thought that Supergirl did a great job saving the plane. Don't overthink it. Think about who the target audience is. My wife loves NCIS, NCIS LA and Hawaii 5-0. Whenever I point out a ridiculous plot hole especially in 5-0, she gets really mad and gives me the I better shut up or leave the room right now look as I am no Doubt ruining some fantasy for her especially when a fellow UCLA boy is on the tube. And my daughter freely admits that she watches Arrow and The Flash for the hot guys.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 08:18 #42081 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

d_k_c wrote: Anytime you read a comic book....Watch A Comic Book TV show....Or read a Story on SWM....Its always recommended to shut your brain off


The best of them don't slap me in the face with that fact :).

I'll be the first to say something doesn't have to be perfect to be good (After all "the Perfect is the enemy of the good"). But It's also not wrong that I understand my own preferences. If I have to tune out half the show because it's boring as watching paint dry, I'll likely tune out the show entirely. And while I'm a tiny weird little corner-case demographic, I doubt I'll be entirely alone In that.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 13:51 #42085 by talk2sparky
Replied by talk2sparky on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

ace191 wrote: Last time I checked, TV was a visual medium. What kind of visual would a plane flying on 3 engines after the crew had cut off the fuel and hit the fire bottles as it gently banked into the side with the two good engines make? Not a very good one in my opinion. And what are the odds of an engine on the opposite wing catching fire as well? This is called poetic license and I thought it looked pretty good and neither my wife nor my daughter understand or care about any of that. They thought that Supergirl did a great job saving the plane. Don't overthink it.


Exactly. And technically they never said only one engine went out, they said engine failure. Then they lose "another" engine, not a second one. The original engine failure may have already been 2 engines. Plus, it's a trailer! Who knows what other info is cut to keep it short. It's a fun exciting scene and gives us great motivation why Kara uses her powers for the first time.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 14:55 #42086 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)
7.3 million hits on the first trailer. I would say that is a pretty good start, but it is still 3 million behind the Brittany Spears video.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 May 2015 14:59 #42087 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Supergirl Pilot Thread (and reaction)

talk2sparky wrote:

ace191 wrote: Last time I checked, TV was a visual medium. What kind of visual would a plane flying on 3 engines after the crew had cut off the fuel and hit the fire bottles as it gently banked into the side with the two good engines make? Not a very good one in my opinion. And what are the odds of an engine on the opposite wing catching fire as well? This is called poetic license and I thought it looked pretty good and neither my wife nor my daughter understand or care about any of that. They thought that Supergirl did a great job saving the plane. Don't overthink it.


Exactly. And technically they never said only one engine went out, they said engine failure. Then they lose "another" engine, not a second one. The original engine failure may have already been 2 engines. Plus, it's a trailer! Who knows what other info is cut to keep it short. It's a fun exciting scene and gives us great motivation why Kara uses her powers for the first time.


And maybe the plane was sabotaged. The story does seem to involve Alexa working for a strange government agency that battles dangerous aliens, of which there appear to be many in this show. Whose to say that Alexa's plane wasn't sabotaged or disabled because she or someone else from her agency was on board?

What we do know at this point is that this Department of Extraterrestrial Affairs (if I got the name right) is going to be a the center of Supergirl's professional life. They'll be watching her, distrusting her at various levels, and she'll be working with them in various ways. But perhaps never in a cozy way. And Alexa will be in the middle of all that.

Given that several people know that Kara is Supergirl, how long before DOE leaders figure that out, along with the connection between Alexa and Kara/Supergirl? That could get complicated, especially for Alexa. Especially if she turns out to go a different direction than Supergirl when it comes to dealing with some alien force or whatever. And how badly is DOE infiltrated by other extraterrestrials anyway? etc. etc. Lots of room here for storytelling.

My point is that we'd never know in the trailer (and likely not in the pilot). Could there be conspiracies and plots and people so far unknown that involve the Danver sisters, and which we will see more of during the season?

If the show is going to be any good, then of course there are. Think of Agents of Shield and all the twists and turns in alliances and enemies. This likely won't be as twisted as that, but I'm betting we'll see plenty of that kind of thing.

Last point... ask yourself this question. If Supergirl showed up in our real world, how many different groups would attempt to control or influence or exploit her? To limit or expand her scope of operations. To use her or neutralize her, using the people around her when they can't get to her directly. There is an immense story-space here for the show's writer's to play with.

Lets not get hung up on a few images in the trailer. The writers have had (and will have) time to make things complicated and involved enough to be exciting and unpredictable.

I've still got my money on Alexa getting on the opposite side of a major issue with Kara during the first season, and after all, she does work for an agency whose sole purpose is to control or destroy aliens with powers. Like her adopted sister.

Shadar
The topic has been locked.
More
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds