Amount

Updates on Annual Crossover

20 Nov 2018 03:11 #62094 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Updates on Annual Crossover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murdough
  • murdough's Avatar Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2018 09:08 #62140 by murdough
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

• murdough
More
28 Nov 2018 20:36 #62181 by murdough
The official synopses have been released.

THE FLASH“Elseworlds, Part 1” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)EPIC ELSEWORLDS CROSSOVER KICKS OFF TONIGHT — When Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Oliver Queen (guest star Stephen Amell) wake up
one morning and realize they have swapped bodies with each other, the
two set off to find out what disturbed the timeline to cause such a
shift. However, things quickly go from bad to worse when they present
their case to Team Flash and the gang doesn’t believe them. Barry and
Oliver realize they need Supergirl’s (guest star Melissa Benoist) help
and travel to Smallville on Earth-38 where they end up meeting Kara’s
cousin, Clark Kent (guest star Tyler Hoechlin), and intrepid reporter,
Lois Lane (guest star Elizabeth Tulloch). LaMonica Garrett guest stars
as The Monitor. Kevin Tancharoen directed the episode written by Eric
Wallace & Sam Chalsen (#509). Original airdate 12/9/2018.

ARROW“Elseworlds, Part 2” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)THE ELSEWORLDS CROSSOVER CONTINUES IN GOTHAM CITY WITH BATWOMAN (RUBY ROSE) — With Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Barry (guest star
Grant Gustin) still stuck in the other’s bodies, the two get a lead on
John Deegan (guest star Jeremy Davies) and head to Gotham City with
Supergirl (guest star Melissa Benoist) to figure out why their reality
has changed. While there, they meet the mysterious Kate Kane (guest star
Ruby Rose) who provides them with information that leads the group to
Arkham Asylum. James Bamford directed the episode with teleplay by Marc
Guggenheim and story by Caroline Dries (#709). Original airdate
12/10/2018.

SUPERGIRL“Elseworlds, Part 3” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)THE BATTLE CONCLUDES — Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), The Flash (guest star Grant Gustin), Green Arrow (guest star Stephen Amell) and
Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin) engage in the battle of their
lives. Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Marc Guggenheim and
teleplay by Derek Simon & Robert Rovner (#409). Original airdate
12/11/2018.

• murdough
More
30 Nov 2018 00:28 #62187 by murdough

• murdough
More
03 Dec 2018 23:18 #62210 by murdough

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• murdough
More
07 Dec 2018 22:43 #62258 by murdough

• murdough
More
11 Dec 2018 07:23 #62284 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
What happened? The story is fun, politics free (minus Lois's comment about pay gap) and well written. 

Good job!

And what's with supergirl X-raying Batgirl, and commenting on her tattoo's? Does Supergirl have a crush?

Oh minor complaint.....The scientist should have been a woman....but other than that. Great job
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
11 Dec 2018 12:17 #62286 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
Have to agree, the 2 episodes so far have been FANTASTIC fun! :)

The interplay between all the characters is great, and the cast all seem to have so much chemistry :) 

Especially Supergirl, who seems to work better here then she does on her own show :D   Mainly because her "support team" is wasted and/or boring.  Seriously, Support-Team Flash and Support-Team Arrow are a BLAST to watch :D 

Still not sold on Ruby Rose as Kate Kane.  Looked pretty good in the suit, its when she is out of it that is the problem.  Can she support a whole show?  Not too sure on that based on this, albeit small, appearance. Bonus points to the writers for working her ludicrous amount of tattoos into the story.  And if Kara has a crush on her, meh, I wouldn't say no to seeing that if I'm honest lol :D 

LOVED all the geeky references (did anyone spot them all?) :) The "World's Finest" really did bring a smile to my face tbh :)

Story-wise seems to be a riff (obviously) on Crisis on Infinite Earths.  Which is probably DC's most iconic story, and one of comicdom's to boot.  It also ties in to the Flash's overarching story in that he "disappears" in a "crisis" at some point in the future.

Looking forward to tonights final episode to see how it will end.  Great job to the writers, they REALLY nailed the tone of what these shows should be like :)

Peace.

/K

More
11 Dec 2018 14:12 - 11 Dec 2018 14:12 #62289 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
I am enjoying the these episodes!
Just goes to show you how great the writers can be when they are not hamstrung by...........
I'll let it go for this special event.
Flash is my favorite show on TV right now and I am so glad the tone of Flash episodes is the one they are using in this crossover event.

Speaking of crossover
How cool was it that Flash and Arrow changed places, kind of.
Visually it looked great and was tons of fun.
I like the way they pulled this off but part of me wanted to see the actors really stretch and stay in their own bodies but act like each other.
Does that make any sense?

Ruby Rose as Batwoman.
Meh.
She is no different than any other Girl Fu character we have already seen like Black Canary or White Canary.
She looks stunning in costume as Batwoman.
But those tattoos are hideous looking and quite distracting.
Her arms look dirty.

Next episode looks interesting.
Of course we have already seen Evil Superman fight Supergirl.
I hope they change it up some this go around.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 14:12 by Markiehoe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
11 Dec 2018 14:30 #62290 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
DCs Legends of Tomorrow had a great line about the crosover.

that show is the highlight of the current DCU.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Dec 2018 16:07 #62291 by kikass2014

DCs Legends of Tomorrow had a great line about the crosover.

that show is the highlight of the current DCU.

Totally agree.  LoT is so consistent in its tone, even if that tone is consistently goofy :)  Its so much fun just tuning every week too see where they go :D 

It's also another show with fun characters and great chemistry among the cast imo :)

Flash this season, especially last weeks episode (and especially seasons 1 and 2), is probably their best show in terms of storytelling/tone.  Not always perfect, but good enough, consistently enough imo.

CW should just fuse Arrow and Supergirl into The Flash and just have those shows on.  With the budgets saved from canning those two, they could make a REALLY good team-up show tbh.

Peace.

/K

More
12 Dec 2018 13:27 - 12 Dec 2018 13:42 #62297 by kikass2014
/Rant Mode ACTIVATED!

For the sake of completeness, this is my take on the final chapter of the Elseworlds crossover event:

When I find myself WANTING to watch a show about Lois and Clark, more then Supergirl, then Supergirl has a MAJOR problem (and more so then why I stopped watching it some episodes back).

Seriously, what the hell happened???

The crossover events usually break down to each title character getting their chapter.  Supergirl got well and truly stuffed in this case.

Who’s idea was it to let Kara spend the MAJORITY of her time in a cell (depowered) and having a fricking boring ass conversation with Alex???  About how Alex SHOULD BE specifically (including, apparently, being a lesbian?????  Are ALL Alex’s across the multiverse lesbians???)

What makes matters worse is, we don’t even know THIS Alex Danvers.  She is a fabrication of Dr. Destiny and his book.  So, to break it down, it goes something like this – Kara, has a conversation with someone who we don’t know, thus don’t care about, and ultimately won’t see again.

WHAT?????

That is her heroic moment?

To highlight this even further, SUPERMAN had more of a narrative impact, and its SUPERGIRL’s SHOW!

/facepalm

On the plus side, I LOVED Lois Lane (even for the small time she had on the show so far).  And Tyler smashed it as Superman and Clark.  If the rumours are true (which, to be fair, have been debunked officially) this is a pilot for a Lois and Clark show, hell, I’ll tune in.

They have better chemistry and charisma then bloody Batwoman.  Just ditch that show and make a Superman show ffs.

And ditch Supergirl while you are at it. 

Its clear you have no idea what that show should be, or how to write it, apart from the obvious PC/agenda spouting garbage that has been coming out so far.

I mean, if Kara can’t use the Book of Destiny, and SUPERMAN has too, what fucking good is she??  This should have been her moment to shine, but the writers just cock it up!

Her support team is total garbage too, exemplified further here when compared to Team Flash and Team Arrows.  Look back at the last two episodes and see the brilliant and fun banter between those SUPPORTING characters.  And compare that to this episode.

Overall though, the episode was enjoyable enough (though certainly a downgrade) for the simple fact that the dynamic between Oliver and Flash, and Superman, worked so well (even if “bad Superman” is a bit cliché).

Throughout, Barry and Arrow had moments where their heroism and character shone.  Compared to Kara’s which was, well, a meaningless pep-talk.

Other great touches was seeing Cisco as a criminal mastermind, James as his lacky (LOL) and even Gary from LoT showing up.  That made me lol hard :D

And as all fans assumed, this was a lead-in to the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover for next year.

I could go on but I will end with this.

Hopefully CW can take a page out of DC’s book when they did this event, and reboot Supergirl.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 12 Dec 2018 13:42 by kikass2014.

More
12 Dec 2018 14:03 #62298 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
They gave the book to Superman and he made it work when Supergirl could not.
C'mon!!!!!!!
My decision to stop watching Supergirl was reinforced right there.
On Supergirl's own show the Male heroes get the job done and the one female was not good enough.

Notice the end of the episode had NOTHING to do with Supergirl.
We got Barry and Oliver in a bar and Lois and Clark at the Fortress of Solitude.

More
12 Dec 2018 15:27 #62299 by kikass2014
Indeed.

When she went through the portal back to her Earth, she said "Everyone's favorite Kryptonian".  Erm, who were you saying that to Kara?  The people in the room?

'Cause if I remember right, Superman saved the day by using the book and re-writing reality!  Not you.  And it was Oliver, another MAN, that made a deal to save your ass.  You just ran really fast, which you couldn't even do alone, as Barry had to run also.

Or were you saying it yourself to gee yourself up, instill some worth to yourself?

Or were you saying it to the audience?  'Cause again, who gives a $%$£.  Not only did Superman save the day and reality, he also had more charm and charisma then you could ever muster on your own show.  So, umm, yeah, he's our favorite Kryptonian.

As far as I'm concerned, Kara can sod off through that portal and never come back.

I'll only see her again in the crossover next year thats for sure.

Peace.

/K

More
15 Dec 2018 11:26 #62313 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
Okay I've binge watched the entire crossover and it was very cool and really weird.
I really enjoyed many of the little details they included all over the place, but part 3 really felt somewhat wrong. It's not that they underused Supergirl, she worked great in part 1 & 2, but rather that everybody seemed set on a very specific course of action that really didn't click with the possibilities the story had. I can buy that Kara was still weakned by the pipeline, so she wasn't ready to face the Reverse-Superman, but after she, Barry and Ollie were restored? Really the best possible plan was to fuck up time rather than tackling Mr. Blackpants with all of them. It's not even that the entire confrontation between Ollie and the Monitor would have been impossible this way. In actual fact the simple idea that two out of three would die would have made the stake really clear.
Still I do think that the plusses are way more than the minuses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
20 Dec 2018 07:43 - 20 Dec 2018 07:45 #62353 by shevek
Replied by shevek on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
Elseworlds was enjoyable enough but not particularly exciting - the basic theme was playing hot potato with a magic book.
The villains (Doctor Destiny and Monitor) were bland and under-acted, and Supergirl didn't get to do anything (which has already
been gone over above). 

And finally, the introduction of Batwoman was more meh than I thought it'd be. In the Batwoman costume, she is super hot and spot-on as far as the comic book appearance, but as Kate Kane, her acting is unimpressive and wooden and unnecessarily grim. As far as the writing, it's weird and inconsistent that the parallel Legends of Tomorrow episode (where Barry/Oliver/Kara were mentioned) foregrounded two homosexual relationships (Sara + Ava, and John + Dez) with full contact kissing, and yet Kate wasn't shown doing anything at all that indicated her sexual orientation other than a slight innuendo about what's under Kara's costume (well, we all know what is, if you've watched that particular episode of Homeland). Lesbian or not, Ruby's got to have some passion and spark about her or it'll look a lot like those boring Brie Larson movie trailers. 

The Lois and Clark scenes were really nice, though, and made everyone long for both the Dean Cain/Teri Hatcher series *and* the ten seasons of Smallville, which in hindsight were sometimes *better* than we've recalled. 

If you want my opinion (and you're gonna get it), the crossover only further cemented my opinion about which of the CW superhero shows are the best:

1) Black Lightning by far the best due to its dramatic tone, family dynamic, the most beautiful heroines on the network (Thunder and Lightning), and the regular nods to the Outsiders comic book.
2) Flash for the solid writing, team spirit, and more gorgeous ladies. 
3) Arrow for the violence and darkness.
4) Legends for the goofiness which can get annoying (and thus skippable) far too often, but also randomly super sexy and hilarious.
5) Supergirl is dead last for the uselessness of its main character and the overtly ham-fisted politics. Only Melissa makes it worth watching.

There were lots of great Easter eggs in the Elseworlds crossover, though, and my personal favorite was the Shakespeare bust in Kate Kane's office...straight from Batman '66! 
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 07:45 by shevek.

More
13 Jan 2019 20:03 #62603 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Updates on Annual Crossover
This year's crossover was somewhat of a mixed bag. The good was the chemistry of Melissa, Grant and Stephen. Fiming if just about all the Gotham City scenes in Chicago was a huge plus. finally we have an Arrowvwr Dr city that does not look like Vancouver.. Ruby Rose was decent as Late Kane.

The Bad was Super girl and her show s support ing case were criminally u underused. Female characters in general were given little to do.

I blame these faults introduced Marc Guggenheim. I get the feeling he does not like Supergirl the show or the character.
Her served as an exeutive produc c for part 3 and got  story credit.

• andyf
  • Away
More
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds