Amount

Physically strongest female character?

02 Mar 2017 23:35 #52926 by rebel4life
Physically strongest female character? was created by rebel4life
OK, I'm probably probing a hornets' nest right here, and sorry if posted (couldn't find a thread via search, though), but who do you think is the most powerful (physically strongest) female character ever created, graphic novels or TV or movies or whatever?

I'd go with She-Ra, a mid-1980's character/show, as her feats of strength are singular, or so I guess (pulling the Earth together with her legs etc.).

But I'm open for any further suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rebel4life
  • rebel4life's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2017 23:47 #52927 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic Physically strongest female character?
On the paper, Power Girl should be the strongest, but as usual, her feats of strength are very disappointing in the comics.
I should also say Wonder Woman, but it's the same thing, as if writers and drawers was afraid to show a woman as strong as Superman.

More
03 Mar 2017 00:29 #52928 by ChaozCloud
Replied by ChaozCloud on topic Physically strongest female character?
Medaka from Medaka Box.

Literally her power is that whatever you can do she can do to when you were at 100% of your potential.

So say if she was fighting Superman. She would gain all of Supermans powers (permanently) and she would use them at the level of a super charged Superman at his prime.

So basically she is op as all hell.

But if we don't count copying then Silver Age Supergirl probably?

More
03 Mar 2017 00:43 #52930 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic Physically strongest female character?

Artnico wrote: On the paper, Power Girl should be the strongest, but as usual, her feats of strength are very disappointing in the comics.
I should also say Wonder Woman, but it's the same thing, as if writers and drawers was afraid to show a woman as strong as Superman.

Unlikely. Why should she be any stronger than Supergirl, Superman etc?

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2017 00:45 #52931 by rebel4life

ChaozCloud wrote: Medaka from Medaka Box.

Literally her power is that whatever you can do she can do to when you were at 100% of your potential.

So say if she was fighting Superman. She would gain all of Supermans powers (permanently) and she would use them at the level of a super charged Superman at his prime.

Good point. I don't know the character not the setting, so are, in her universe, any super-strength beings? Otherwise, meh.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2017 00:49 #52932 by Akane
Replied by Akane on topic Physically strongest female character?
A reality warper-tier character most likely

More
03 Mar 2017 00:49 #52933 by ChaozCloud

rebel4life wrote:

Good point. I don't know the character not the setting, so are, in her universe, any super-strength beings? Otherwise, meh.

Plenty. There is for example basically a god that can destroy stars light years away with finger beams. Only problem with Madokas power is that she has to either see the thing she wants to copy in action or she must hear about it (yes that works too for some reason).
The following user(s) said Thank You: rebel4life

More
03 Mar 2017 01:10 #52934 by rebel4life

ChaozCloud wrote:

rebel4life wrote:

Plenty. There is for example basically a god that can destroy stars light years away with finger beams. Only problem with Madokas power is that she has to either see the thing she wants to copy in action or she must hear about it (yes that works too for some reason).

Oookay [head spinning], so let's forget about all these power-assuming issues.

On an original basis, who'd be the strongest (physically) female character? Why Silver Age Supergirl? I'd still go with She-Ra ... .

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2017 01:23 #52935 by ChaozCloud
Well Silver Age Supergirl was able to survive an explosion that sent her past infinity. And lets not forget she is about the equal of Silver Age Superman who accidentally destroyed a galaxy by sneezing <.<

More
03 Mar 2017 10:57 #52940 by dauntingmold
Replied by dauntingmold on topic Physically strongest female character?
I'd go with Cythonna a Kryptonian God. Superman stated she was the strongest foe he'd ever fought, and was shown to be stronger than he was even in a weakened state.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lulu

More
03 Mar 2017 11:11 #52941 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Physically strongest female character?
I remember reading an interview with one of the authors involved in the post-crisis reboot of 1984-85, who said that the reference model they discussed at DC to handle power scales and such was based on the assumption that Superman was the most physically powerful character not because he was superior to everyone else, in fact there was at least one character who would beat him in every given category (strength, speed etc), but he was the only one who ranked so high in so many respects. In terms of purely physical strength Wonder Woman was supposed to beat him, but unfortunately this element was quickly lost after the first wave of creative teams reisigned.

More
03 Mar 2017 11:38 #52943 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Physically strongest female character?
...Or because after you've had Superman move/tow the Earth SEVERAL TIMES the idea that she'd be stronger than him is kinda ludicrous.

More
03 Mar 2017 11:58 #52944 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Physically strongest female character?
When I was a kid comic books cost money but TV was free.
My intro to superheroes was the Filmation Superman cartoon.
Even as a kid to me the idea of Superman moving the Earth was ridiculous.

In the opening credits he had trouble stopping a train.

These over the top/ cosmic feats of strength lose me.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
04 Mar 2017 21:40 #52979 by lowerbase
Replied by lowerbase on topic Physically strongest female character?
I've always found Superman poorly developed. If it wasn't for Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve sweetheart in the 80s, it wouldn't be any different than Shazam, or any other generic hero nowadays.

Most of his stories are about his search for 'his identity'. Mainly because he has none.

I don't know. powers in comics should be trait of the character. Superman 'powers' are jack of all trades and master of all. Writing for this character must be such a nightmare. That's why he had so many bizarre powers in the old comics to fill his lack of personality.

Even Power Girl breasts have more personality than him.

More
04 Mar 2017 23:03 #52982 by rebel4life
I agree with you on Superman, but are we any closer to an answer (op) right now?

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2017 01:24 - 05 Mar 2017 01:31 #52984 by lowerbase

rebel4life wrote: I agree with you on Superman, but are we any closer to an answer (op) right now?

Nah, it is quite impossible. It is all too inconsistent. Especially overpowered characters.

The most powerful would be the Phoenix Force (Jean Grey)

> The Phoenix Force has the ability to manipulate cosmic energies and to tap into the life-force reserved for future generations, thus denying them existence. It can wield this energy to project beams of immense destructive force. It can transmigrate throughout time and space by folding its energy back into itself, causing it to collapse akin to a black hole and then reform itself upon reaching its destination.

Really, what Superman can do against this?

Physically, it is impossible to say. The limit is the writer imagination. A wild guess would be She-Hulk
Last edit: 05 Mar 2017 01:31 by lowerbase.

More
05 Mar 2017 03:07 #52985 by Whatever
Replied by Whatever on topic Physically strongest female character?
I suppose another problem in answering this particular question, as can be seen by some of the posts above, is that there is almost always something about these fictional characters that is blatantly non-physical.
As far as I am aware (that is to say, not a lot), the feats of strength shown by Superman and other Kryptonians are related to their ability of tactile telekinesis, so one could argue that their physical strength on its own is actually completely immesurable, as it is never truly shown.

Also, I believe there is the problem that "physical" does not necessarily relate to musclular strength. Using the example above or that of Jean Grey, is a power such as telekinesis physical because the character is genetically able to do it and does it with physical motions of their body? I'd say no, but whatever floats one's boat.

Sorry for being this sort-of technical, I just think there may be no good answer to this question. Up to a certain power level, sure, but anything that far above earth-like strength will prove difficult to classify, I fear.
(Though if it's a popularity contest, Power Girl gets my vote :D)

More
05 Mar 2017 03:19 #52988 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Physically strongest female character?
Its kind of a weird question, since most of the upper end is simply 'meaninglessly strong' in the context of the physical universe. A lot of 'if you can describe the feat, they can perform it' going on out there.

More
05 Mar 2017 18:58 #52990 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Physically strongest female character?

lowerbase wrote: I've always found Superman poorly developed. If it wasn't for Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve sweetheart in the 80s, it wouldn't be any different than Shazam, or any other generic hero nowadays.

Most of his stories are about his search for 'his identity'. Mainly because he has none.

I don't know. powers in comics should be trait of the character. Superman 'powers' are jack of all trades and master of all. Writing for this character must be such a nightmare. That's why he had so many bizarre powers in the old comics to fill his lack of personality.

Even Power Girl breasts have more personality than him.

Precisely why I find Supergirl a much more appealing character than Superman. She has the generic do-goody personality, but also traces of conflict due to the fact that she left Krypton when she was 16 instead of 1, making her effectively the last Kryptonian alive in a cultural sense. Superman is just an Earthling with Kryptonian powers

More
05 Mar 2017 18:59 #52991 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Physically strongest female character?
Regarding to the topic, I think the strongest female character in the DC universe would be Maxima. If I'm not mistaken, she's stronger than all the other Kryptonians, doesn't have weakness to kryptonite, and has mind powers

More
06 Mar 2017 01:12 - 06 Mar 2017 01:18 #52997 by lowerbase
> Precisely why I find Supergirl a much more appealing character than Superman. She has the generic do-goody personality, but also traces of conflict due to the fact that she left Krypton when she was 16 instead of 1

Supergirl has a big character development problem: it is called Superman.

She'll always to be seen as a byproduct, even in her own comics and own series it is an issue. And that in her universe Superman is present and even saves the day, while in his universe, she doesn't actually exist. When it happens, it sounds like charity to a minor character.

The biggest mistake of her creators was giving her the same superman outfit.

Which, btw, is my theory of why Power Girl was created. A Supergirl that is not in Superman's shadow or a female copy of him, and has a life of her own... and has a boob window instead of an 'S'. Thumbs up for this womanly idea.

On my previous post I said that She-Hulk would be the physically the strongest, as I remember reading once that Hulk could smash so hard that he could break between dimensions. Well, that's strength. She-Hulk can reach his form, it implies she can do the same shit as Hulk.

So I still stand for She Hulk being the physically strongest female character.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2017 01:18 by lowerbase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lulu, erikphandel

More
08 Mar 2017 00:52 #53030 by rebel4life
Na, it's basically quite simple.

Two female superheroes armwrestle one-on-one (on an indestructible/neutral) plate. No other superpowers involved. Who wins?

I'll stick with She-Ra.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2017 00:32 #53049 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Physically strongest female character?

rebel4life wrote: Na, it's basically quite simple.

Two female superheroes armwrestle one-on-one (on an indestructible/neutral) plate. No other superpowers involved. Who wins?

I'll stick with She-Ra.

When it comes to simple muscular contraction, I don't know how anyone could beat a Kryptonian.

I've always seen Superman as stronger than Kara given he's got (much) larger muscles, but that the two of them were in their own class.

Other characters have an array of additional powers that make them more powerful due to their summation (think Maxima with her TK power added to her physical strength), but muscle strand to muscle strand, Krypts are unique.

At least, that's how I've always seen it.

Of course, there are those who envision Kryptonians doing most things with a kind of telekinetic power, in which case their body simply channels the TK force. I'm not in that camp at all, but I understand how it could explain everything.

That forced me to come up with my own explanations, which led eventually to inventing Velorians.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
13 Mar 2017 16:19 #53123 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Physically strongest female character?
Silver Age Supergirl --

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
13 Mar 2017 17:55 #53125 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Physically strongest female character?
This is the kind of scene that always threatened to destroy my interest in comic-book Kryptonians in the Silver Age. God-like powers and a total disregard for even the most outrageous of comic-book physics.

Who could ever become a challenge to her power if she can throw entire worlds around like they were some beach ball? Yet the next week, she was struggling to defeat some human criminal.

We saw a bit of this in Supergirl Season 1. She was physically challenged and even out-classed in a few fights, and then she picks up the "million ton" Fort Roz and tosses it into deep space.

Bottom line for me, any definition of physical strength would not apply to these kinds of scenes. Physical strength is muscular strength. Throwing a world requires an energy level and power that is greater than a star. Or is it all telekinetic mental-powers voodoo nonsense?

Shadar

argonaut wrote: Silver Age Supergirl --

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds