Amount

The site changes and what I'm up to.

06 May 2017 18:38 #53951 by fats
Hi all,

as you might have seen today I've started on making changes to the site and I've started on some big changes, firstly I've changed the fonts, this is to make the site more of a "comic" style, it's been hard to choose what to go for as we are not a pure comic site nor as we a pure literacy site, so I've gone down the comic route to make the site a bit more fun looking.

I've changed the colours but I'm not happy with them so they will be changed this weekend, I'm also going to change the masthead, I did do an edited version of the last head but it looked wrong for the site so that will take more time.

I've discovered a major problem with the email and that's going to take me most of the week to fix but it will be fixed as there are nearly 50 accounts waiting to be activated (if you are reading this and still have not got an email please use the contact us in the community menu to let me know your account and I'll activate it)

the main aim of the changes are to make the site more fun and return it back to where we were 10 years ago, I bet you didn't know that this site is 20 years old, we've been around longer than most sites, we predate Facebook and Twitter and it's time that we celebrate that.

If you have any comments or questions please let me know here in this thread and I'll try to answer them.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, mastadon, Dru1076, Kamelmann, jyache, hunterbr2001, SCOTT R, Monty, kikass2014, dstrek, LustMonster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 May 2017 18:42 - 06 May 2017 18:53 #53953 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
I like all the visual changes I see so far, and I appreciate the new Images thread. The old one often literally KILLED my poor web browser (especially on mobile).

I'd like to suggest that the new image thread have fewer messages per page, so that you don't end up with a lot of messages (each with a lot of images) all on one page.
Last edit: 06 May 2017 18:53 by LustMonster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fats

More
06 May 2017 18:50 #53954 by fats
Replied by fats on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
I can't do that for that thread so I've dropped the number of post per page from 30 to 20 for the whole forum.

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 May 2017 19:38 - 06 May 2017 19:39 #53955 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
Could you maybe scale up the font size just a little bit? I'm getting older, and time has not been kind to my visual ability ... ;-).
Last edit: 06 May 2017 19:39 by rebel4life.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 May 2017 20:01 #53956 by fats
I'm working on the font sizes now.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, aguilauno, Markiehoe, LustMonster, rebel4life

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 May 2017 20:58 #53957 by rebel4life
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 May 2017 22:15 #53960 by fats
ok i've gone from 1.0rem to 1.2rem, is that too much or just right in terms of font size.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: mastadon, SCOTT R, aguilauno

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 May 2017 23:04 #53964 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.

fats wrote: ok i've gone from 1.0rem to 1.2rem, is that too much or just right in terms of font size.

Fats

Looks good on my big laptop. Perfect in fact. Haven't tried it on my little machines.

I have a question about your thoughts on "comic" versus "literary" site. I'm guessing that means more of a focus on published comics and movies/tv and discussions about things superfemme and related. Also maybe fewer workshops? Hopefully, there will still be a way for authors to share their work here.

Stories have not been the center of activity for participation and comments for a long time, although the authors put a lot of hours in for their personal satisfaction.

Anyway, I'm curious for more details about the change in flavor of the site.

And welcome back... this place isn't the same without you.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
06 May 2017 23:29 - 07 May 2017 00:15 #53965 by fats

shadar wrote: I have a question about your thoughts on "comic" versus "literary" site. I'm guessing that means more of a focus on published comics and movies/tv and discussions about things superfemme and related. Also maybe fewer workshops? Hopefully, there will still be a way for authors to share their work here.

Stories have not been the centre of activity for participation and comments for a long time, although the authors put a lot of hours in for their personal satisfaction.

Stories will ALWAYS have a place here at SWM we will always have workshops, I'm thinking about how we do more and better ones. I used the phraseology of Comic and Literary as a way to differentiate between the two distant styles of that be created in the genre that we occupy.

If we went down the literary side of things all the fonts would be oldy times and it would be a muted browns and creams for the colours, comics in the other hand the colours are more vibrant and the font's more fun.

What I'm trying to do is, for one of a better term is "dumb down" the site and I don't mean that in a nasty way what my thinking is that the site has become a place for people to dissect Stories/Films/TV Shows in a forensic manner and not simply enjoy the item discussed and say something like "good story" or last night's ... show was fantastic. It's a big turn off to read a 1000 word essay on why supergirl's powers are not consistent or that the writers have X or Y wrong, there should always be an element of that but it's become too much, too detailed and in a way we've become a snobbish site that's dying.

So the visual appearance of the site is changing to reflect that and I hope people will take that onboard and adjusts their viewpoint as well.

Fats
Last edit: 07 May 2017 00:15 by fats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
08 May 2017 21:05 #54014 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
I like the changes, but I think the tones in the site's colors are a bit too... pastel. Maybe if they were solid colors or at least a tad darker. But that's just me though

More
14 May 2017 14:43 #54099 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
Fats: Good to have you back!

I like the brighter, more inviting look of the front page. And the larger font for the forum posts is much appreciated.

The colored font for quoted posts is an effective way to differentiate quotes from commentary, but the blue is a little too light for easy reading. Maybe you could darken it a bit?

And although I think the "comic-y" font is fine for the front page, I'd like to see a more conventional font for the stories in the Library. What do other members think?

Overall, though, thumbs up for the site changes!

More
14 May 2017 16:59 #54100 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.

argonaut wrote: Fats: Good to have you back!

I like the brighter, more inviting look of the front page. And the larger font for the forum posts is much appreciated.

The colored font for quoted posts is an effective way to differentiate quotes from commentary, but the blue is a little too light for easy reading. Maybe you could darken it a bit?

And although I think the "comic-y" font is fine for the front page, I'd like to see a more conventional font for the stories in the Library. What do other members think?

Overall, though, thumbs up for the site changes!

I know that Comic Sans font is almost universally panned, but I like it. Always have, including for stories. I wrote a lot of stories over the years in this font. I'm cool with it.

Shadar

• shadar
More
18 May 2017 22:30 - 18 May 2017 22:31 #54164 by rebel4life
Seriously, please increase the font size in the front page at least by the magnitude of 10. It may be just me and my eye soreness, but today I had to zoom in 24x to even discern single letters from each other. Thanks.

PS: OK, never mind, it's readable now. Probably just me in my corner. Weird.
Last edit: 18 May 2017 22:31 by rebel4life.

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2017 11:55 #54175 by fats
There a number of font size issues that need to be resolved, I'm almost ready to upload the CSS fixes that will sort it out.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa, SCOTT R, rebel4life

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 May 2017 21:43 #54187 by Scwank
Replied by Scwank on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
It sounds like I'm in the minority, but this font is really not good for readability, at least for me. OK for short blurbs on the web, banners, etc., and it looks interesting, but for reading longer posts, it hurts my eyes. I do appreciate your efforts, though. Just my opinion.

More
23 May 2017 03:52 #54245 by www1969
Replied by www1969 on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
I love this new font. Light, but without being Comic Sans. What is it, please?

More
23 May 2017 04:01 #54246 by fats
the font is comic neue it's a free font with many different styles, it's not fully working r5 and I are working on getting it fully installed.

I wanted to return to a fully comic style font but I got a complaint that it was not readable so I've installed a number of fonts to make it readable but none of them looked the way that I wanted.

more developments will flow.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dru1076, Ravens_ghost, www1969, aguilauno

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
23 May 2017 17:30 #54260 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
changes are great. Just the colors of font used in quote are unreadable. Can you resolve that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno

More
23 May 2017 17:54 #54261 by five_red
Replied by five_red on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.

smoki07 wrote: changes are great. Just the colors of font used in quote are unreadable. Can you resolve that?

How about now..?

R5

More
23 May 2017 18:53 #54263 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.

five_red wrote:

smoki07 wrote: changes are great. Just the colors of font used in quote are unreadable. Can you resolve that?

How about now..?

R5

Much better contrast I think.

More
23 May 2017 20:32 #54265 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic The site changes and what I'm up to.
No, you mess with me! It's not the same colors earlier today. When I posted my message complainning about the colors in quote, it was much lighter blue and it was unreadable!

More
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds