Amount

Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls

26 Feb 2019 23:34 #62976 by brantley
Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls was created by brantley
Just saw this on Google News search; there are several other accounts. Amy reaction here?

www.huffpost.com/entry/disturbing-captai...77b8e4b0e37a1ed27cdd

-- Brantley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Feb 2019 00:32 #62977 by erikphandel
Replied by erikphandel on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
Fake news, you can't review a movie on Rotten Tomatoes before said movie is out unless you're a professional critic. People are just posting on the site why they're not going to see the movie, which I think is perfectly fine

I'm not going to say anything else because I don't wanna get into politics here
The following user(s) said Thank You: Revan, Markiehoe

More
27 Feb 2019 02:17 #62978 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
Stopping the misogynist trolls from gaming the system makes sense for Rotten Tomatoes. That way the movie starts fresh at its general release, 

Otherwise, ignore them. These trolls are very unhappy people and I'm sure they will be even more miserable when a female-centric superheroine movie like this is a success.

They represent the antithesis of the audience here at SWM. We may or may not like the actual writing, directing and production of any given movie, but I'm sure we'll all enjoy seeing a goddess-grade heroine who came up from nowhere, kicking ass.. Someone who could do more than hold her own against Thanos. 

Shdar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Feb 2019 02:54 #62979 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
Every time Brie Larson opens her mouth she pushes away more fans who just want to watch a movie.
I have tried to avoid all spoilers for this movie but Brie Larson is making that extremely difficult.

I posted this yesterday on another Facebook forum before Rotten Tomatoes nuked their own site.

I plan on seeing Captain Marvel the Tuesday after it opens on discount night when the kiddies are staying away.
No one has given a negative review yet. No one has seen the movie. These
people are just using a Rotten Tomatoes feature. One installed by Rotten Tomatoes themselves. If the legions of people (who plan on seeing this movie) would just go to RT and
click the positive button the negative number would fall away. But if you
believe the RT meter no one wants to see this movie.

One subset of fans are speaking their minds using a PUBLIC FORUM that specifically ASKED if you are going to see a movie.
For answering a question someone else asked they have been branded Trolls.

I was told when I was a little kid:
Be careful what you ask for.

Ever since I stopped watching a certain show which dove head first off the rails earlier this season I have felt much better.
If my "Spidey" sense starts tingling before I go to the theater I may skip this one and just go on with my life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, erikphandel, kikass2014, Starforge

More
27 Feb 2019 04:16 - 27 Feb 2019 04:23 #62980 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
If you wanna see something and you think it's good or at least interesting, see it.  To be influenced by the icon of a stupid piece of fruit and a single numeric score is ridiculous IMO.

not to mention, all the losers that have nothin to do than unscrupulously stuff the ballot box cause they don't agree or like something.

unfortunately, RT is a big influencer and it's the way things are now with most people now unable to make a single decision in their life -- what car to buy, what movie to see, what dish soap is best -- without googling it first and seeing what 'everyone else thinks'.  Sheepeople....smh

elF
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 04:23 by lfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa, SCOTT R, aguilauno, Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
27 Feb 2019 04:43 #62981 by Starforge
Replied by Starforge on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
Just pay to see another movie when you go to see it.  Still get to see the movie and no money for them.  Next time, hopefully, they'll learn to keep their stars from making racist / sexist comments.

Anyone thinking it wasn't - just substitute a different race / sex and say what she said.  Unless you agree with the cult of identity politics, there's only one conclusion to draw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
27 Feb 2019 14:39 #62983 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
I plan to see this movie because I like the character and the Marvel universe.

I enjoy seeing Brie Larson do her job, acting.  She is pretty good at it.

I don't give a shit about Brie Larson and what she says.

I don't read what Brie Larson says, outside of lines of dialogue in a film.

I'm a simple man, I have a simple solution.

YMMV.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, shadar, Woodclaw, Raa, erikphandel, andyf, Ta

More
27 Feb 2019 17:03 #62984 by shadar

kikass2014 wrote: I plan to see this movie because I like the character and the Marvel universe.

YMMV.

Peace.

/K

That's a very healthy attitude, K. Wish everyone approached these things with such simplicity It's a movie. Just a movie. Not the meaning of the universe. Which we already know is 42. 

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014, Ta

• shadar
More
27 Feb 2019 17:53 - 27 Feb 2019 17:55 #62985 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls

kikass2014 wrote: I plan to see this movie because I like the character and the Marvel universe.

YMMV.

Peace.

/K

Same here.

If I had to factor everything an actor or director says in the enjoyment of a movie I would have never watched any Clint Eastwood movie ever and he's one of my favorite directors.

On the subject of preventing pre-screening reviews, I think it's actually a good idea because too many people seem to trust just that little score and whatever it's attached to it. The same thing has been happening for years in the videogame community with the Metacritic Score.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 17:55 by Woodclaw.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
27 Feb 2019 18:27 #62986 by shadar
The underlying problem is that the perception of success or failure of a movie is determined in the theaters, and mostly during the first week or two. So pre-release press and expectations play an outsized role in that perception of success. 

But as we continue to progress down the path of streaming-based media, the theaters become increasingly unreliable indicators. Same as with commercial, ad-supported TV.  I won't watch Captain Marvel the first month it's out. Not because I don't want to, but it's a long drive from my rural house to a moderately decent theater. So all I care about is the date that Apple's iTunes has it for sale. By then, there will be plenty of real feedback from real reviewers (and the wonderful SWM community!) to review. Spoilers don't bother me in the least. And my home theater is better than all but the most exotic urban theaters. 

And to be honest, I'll buy Captain Marvel for my collection no matter what the viewers and reviewers say. And I'll buy it again if there is an Extended or Director's Cut later on. Hell, I own both the original and the Director's Cut of the 1984 Supergirl movie!

I'm a genre fan. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
27 Feb 2019 21:55 #62989 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
Pretty funny, if you type RT in youtube you get this warning message under the video  :   RT is funded in whole or part by the Russian government .   Would have never suspected overripe fruit of being a voice of communism

More
27 Feb 2019 23:04 #62990 by kikass2014
That RT could be refering to the russian news channel.

But maybe Rotten Tomatoes is too.

/shrug

Peace.

/K

More
28 Feb 2019 00:02 #62991 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
I don't think there's any connection; If Rotten Tomatoes were a Russian front, itv would have been big news by now. And Captain Marvel is hardly the first move they have pre-emptively defended:

www.indiewire.com/2018/02/rotten-tomatoe...sabotage-1201924400/

--Brantley

• brantley
  • brantley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Feb 2019 00:35 #62993 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
Until this thread appeared on SWM, I'd only ever heard the initials RT as the name of putin's propaganda channel (russia today).  I'd heard of the Rotten Tomatoes website, but never in initial form.  Less than zero connection, but feel free to feel it's all one big conspiracy.

More
28 Feb 2019 01:39 #62995 by shadar

conceptfan wrote: Until this thread appeared on SWM, I'd only ever heard the initials RT as the name of putin's propaganda channel (russia today).  I'd heard of the Rotten Tomatoes website, but never in initial form.  Less than zero connection, but feel free to feel it's all one big conspiracy.

I think the concerns about corrupting Rotten Tomatoes is an age thing as well.  Those who grew up with social media are more sensitive to the collective thoughts of others, and to group influence. Which is understandable since that's what social media is all about. Blame it on Facebook and its ilk. 

For those of us who grew up before any of that, and avoid social media now, we operate differently, almost contrarian. RT isn't going to influence us much if at all no matter what it says. 

Take Luc Besons's Fifth Element, one of my absolute favorite movies  The Top Critics on RT rated it a 41 (mostly rotten). I'd give it a 90 (deliciously fresh). Even now after its aged a bit. 

Shadar

• shadar
More
28 Feb 2019 02:29 #62996 by Starforge

YMMV.

Peace.

/K

It's really simple - it's a failure in marketing.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion and to watch the movie.  Yes, I want to see it too - because of the continuing story.  I was actually excited to see this until the actors went out of their way to drag their brand of politics into it.

So - I have a simple solution as well.  Not spend any money with them.

Does my movie ticket matter?  Not really.  I can't, however, be alone in this since they've cut the movies expected projection nearly in half.

The only way the movie rebounds is if it truly is spectacular.  Of that, we can only wait and see.

Filling our niche might work for us, but we aren't the majority of the movie audience.

More
28 Feb 2019 08:35 #63000 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls

Starforge wrote:
It's really simple - it's a failure in marketing.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion and to watch the movie.  Yes, I want to see it too - because of the continuing story.  I was actually excited to see this until the actors went out of their way to drag their brand of politics into it.

So - I have a simple solution as well.  Not spend any money with them.

Does my movie ticket matter?  Not really.  I can't, however, be alone in this since they've cut the movies expected projection nearly in half.

The only way the movie rebounds is if it truly is spectacular.  Of that, we can only wait and see.

Filling our niche might work for us, but we aren't the majority of the movie audience.

I'm just going to be rude and blunt and say the obvious that buying a ticket for another movie and seeing Captain Marvel is the same as piracy -- which is something I thought this site was universally against (esp with SWM content)..   The movie theater makes their money, but the studio won't.  I don't see any significant difference between that and illegally downloading something from Taurus films -- I mean the ISP (Movie Theater) gets paid either way but the people who made the content do not while you watch content you did not pay for.

There is pretty much a zero chance that any message about why you think you're doing that will get through to hollywood/Marvel/Disney.  All they'll care about is "did we make enough money to make another one" and if it falls flat I'd be surprised if it's blamed on Larson's comments.

Personally, I'm going to do my (small) part and buy a ticket as it's the only thing I have control over.   Just like you're free to buy ticket to another movie and go see the Captain Marvel if you'd like.  We all make our own decisions about our lives and what we do with them. Nor should the opinion of strangers on the internet matter to you.

As for the news on the projections that doesn't seem to be the news story:

www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/02/...pening/#a2ec07c274bd
www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-box-office-op...-guardians-galaxy-2/

i.e. projections for opening weekend (largely based on pre-sales of tickets) are up to $150M from $120M which were up from $100M.   But no ones knows how it'll hold up the subsequent weekends (Wonder Woman had great legs and just kept bring in good money for weeks but WW was very unusual in that regard).

Those are from the 26th, I didn't see anything more recent. The ones I see saying the projects were down were either from less reputable sites than Forbes and were much older.

Of course, projections are the work of analysts who are professional liars.  Soon the movie will open and we'll have the real story.  Right now it's all conjecture and hot air.

Nor do opening weekend projections indicate how well the movie will eventually gross.   No one knows how well the movie will continue to do after the initial word of mouth gets out.  There is absolutely no way to even guess at that (else hollywood wouldn't make turds of movies).  So any site that claims they can is just trying to drum up drama to get clicks.

More
28 Feb 2019 10:59 - 28 Feb 2019 11:01 #63005 by kikass2014
Yeah, I too thought projections for Capt. Marvel were revised UP rather then down.

Ofc these are just projections and not a fact, but they tend to be in the ball park.  Capt. Marvel has several factors going for it that could make it work.

- Its the "first" female superhero-led Marvel film.

- Its the final piece before, what will be imo, the biggest event this year in movies - Avengers: Endgame.   People who would not give Capt. Marvel a second look, will probably go see this JUST to see how the story fits in.  And if they can get any clues as to what Endgame holds.

- Its a Marvel film.  Marvel has built up an enormous amount of good will among its fans.  As such, they are willing to give them a shot at pretty much whatever they do.  Marvel don't always succeed.  But more often then not, they do.

These alone should make the film take MUCH more box office then it would ordinarily do imo.

I do find it intriguing that people base the quality (or projected quality) of a movie, based on what an actor says outside of it.

Actors are people too.  They have their own world views, and they will sometimes agree with yours, or disagree. Who gives a shit?

I don't listen to actors political views because it does not make one bit of difference to me in what they do - ACT.  That is why I pay ANY attention to them.

Now don't get me wrong, as I've mentioned before, all films have messages. And I am willing to bet my house that Capt. Marvel will be full of female empowerment and what not.

But I use this philosophy when I look at my entertainment, paraphrased from The Matrix's Architect -

""There are levels of [SJW pandering] survival (I) we [am] are prepared to accept." - The Architect

Supergirl, for example, crossed that threshold for me, but not others.  This is fine.  I stop watching Supergirl.

If you feel Capt. Marvel is not worth your money because of what Brie Larson says, fine.  Its your choice.  By all means, don't spend your earned money on it.

But I think Shadar nailed it on the head with his social media and its influence on the current generation.

We of an older generation, are not quite so inclined to follow, but rather think and assess for ourselves.

Just my thoughts ofc.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 28 Feb 2019 11:01 by kikass2014.

More
28 Feb 2019 11:17 #63006 by Starforge
Twice,

Of course it won't get through.  I'm merely one ticket.  I'm quite certain I'm not alone, however.  That being said, if the movie is excellent, then no projections, reviews, 'want to see it' or anything else will keep it from doing well.  I may be delusional but one of my delusions isn't of grandeur.

If the movie is at best merely average or worse, less so, then it gets around quick and the movie won't meet expectations - see Last Jedi and Solo for recent examples.  Unless it's horrid, there's no way a Marvel movie doesn't turn a profit.  The want to see the continuing story will put butts in the seats.

Yes, you're right, it IS akin to piracy.  The only reason I consider this an option is to not hurt the small business (or larger business depending on your local theater) for the stupidity of Hollywood worshipers at the alter of tribal identity.  yep, that's just rationalization, but as you say - it's my choice.  I think that's a sin I'm perfectly willing to live with.  Of course, since I'm not religious, sin isn't much of a worry.

Show of hands - who thinks that if the actors involved had simply kept their mouths shut and done their job that there would even BE an issue?  A button on RT is NOT proof of Misogyny or the assertion of the patriarchy.  Hilarious.  How did Wonder Woman do in this patriarchal society?  Next......

More
28 Feb 2019 11:33 #63007 by Starforge
@K

Normally I agree K.  That being said, I still refuse to watch anything with Jane Fonda in it.  As a military brat of a certain generation, it's my choice.

I'm not telling anyone to not see, watch, enjoy, or take my opinion as their own towards the movie.  We each make our own choice.  Going to see a movie (or not) doesn't rise beyond trivial in the grand scheme of things.

A website (in this case RT) had a feature that was NOT a review, NOT a judgement of the content but merely a "will you see it or not" button.  That button is going to be clicked entirely on trailers and press released before the movie comes out and when the actors make their politics part of the discussion, what exactly did people think would happen?

Yes, they are entitled to their opinion and to voice it.  So is everyone who mashed the button in the way they didn't like.  The only way to avoid the latter is for the former to keep their views private and not run off potential fans.

Logic.  It's not for everyone.

The Dixie Chicks would still be a successful country band but for one sentence uttered in the UK (if I remember correctly.)  How you market your product is important.

More
28 Feb 2019 14:24 #63008 by kikass2014
Oh I totally understand what you are saying Starforge. Ofc we are all free to choose what we watch, etc.

In regards to the Rotten Tomatoes thing, I think you are right to a degree.

My view on it is, there are two sides here.  There are the SJW brigade, and I'm pretty sure we all understand what I mean by that term.  And then there is the rise of what I perceive as a recent phenomena - The Incel Brigade.

These people attack ANYTHING that puts a white male in a bad light, even if there is nothing truly to attack or comment on.  Just like the SJW promote and shout about diversity and what not.

They are not conservatives, right-wing or even the so-called "alt right" (though they get branded as such).  Just as I see the SJW as loonies, these new vocal "white male activists" are just as bad.  For the exact same reason. Their stance makes no sense.

The "attack" on Capt. Marvel was most likely from this camp.  Nothing more.  NO ONE except a select few have seen the movie.  This is different, imo, to the Last Jedi, where people HAD seen the film, and it was objectively bad (but that is a different discussion).

I could go into a long, and fairly detailed discussion on this and identity politics in general, as I am sure you can Starforge.  And I would love to have that discussion.  Maybe some day, over a beer :)

Now, should RT have responded by changing their policy and web site and removing the button?  To me, it doesn't make a difference. Objectively, I think they did the right thing.  

It created a metric that was meaningless and unfair to a movie - ANY movie.

Again, these are just my quick thoughts on the topic.

Peace.

/K

P.S. I'm no fan of Jane Fonda, I haven't really watched her films, never felt the urge too.  But I am curious about the military connection as to why you refuse to watch her films.  You don't have to answer ofc, just something that stood out to me is all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stmercy2020, TwiceOnThursdays

More
28 Feb 2019 15:27 #63009 by shadar
Politics dominating the discussion again. SIGH. 

• shadar
More
28 Feb 2019 16:01 #63010 by conceptfan
Replied by conceptfan on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls

shadar wrote: Politics dominating the discussion again. SIGH. 

It'd be nice to be able to escape all that on a forum dedicated to the love of super-women.  Seems some people can't help but crowbar it in.  Shame.

More
28 Feb 2019 17:54 #63012 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls
So the theme is Rotten Tomatoes and Trolls. As soon as we explore what is happening with Rotten Tomatoes, and the trolls the topic wishes to discuss, we can't help but talk about the politics, because it's the central theme.

For instance, if I was to start a thread, that read 'SJW's angry that Marvel is white' You should have enough common sense to know that there will be a political component. And if you're a sensitive snow flake, do everyone a favour and don't click on it.

That being said, we have to realize that members aren't crowbarring politics into SWM, Politics is crowbarring it's way into SWM and every other aspect of life. Which is very concerning. It seems You can't discuss any superhero these days without addressing the political leanings of the creator.

Whatever happened to the good ol days of t&a big explosions and big guns....And mind dumbing nonsense. That's why my stories are so important right now....In that....You'll be dumber after reading them =)

And why the hate to RT? Listen, if you follow the news, you have to follow RT. Every organization is biased, the only way to be informed is to get your news from every source. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Markiehoe, kikass2014, Starforge

More
28 Feb 2019 18:07 #63013 by shadar

d_k_c wrote:
Whatever happened to the good ol days of t&a big explosions and big guns....And mind dumbing nonsense. That's why my stories are so important right now....In that....You'll be dumber after reading them =)

I wouldn't say dumber, but rather "delightfully diverted."  Very healthy.  <grin>

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: d_k_c, Markiehoe

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds