Amount

Strength feats in civil clothes or superhero costume?

01 Apr 2019 13:43 #63542 by veggicidal
Super costume all the way. If it's in civilian clothes, then I like them to at least be extra girly, like a flowy skirt or something. Just to emphasize the femininity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe, erikphandel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2019 13:59 #63543 by fats
No clothes.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, jyache, tranquinha, erikphandel

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Apr 2019 14:20 - 01 Apr 2019 14:21 #63544 by kikass2014
I have to agree with a good costume.

Civvies are cool, and way better then a badly done costume for sure.

Peace.

/K

P.S.  LOL at "no clothes" :D  Probably the "best" option :P 
Last edit: 01 Apr 2019 14:21 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, SCOTT R

More
01 Apr 2019 14:37 #63545 by shadar

fats wrote: No clothes.

Fats

Civvies hanging in shreds or blown off covers all my bases.

Imagine a grenade thst she smothers by burying it between her boobs to protect a crowd of bystanders, and the image of the aftermath of the explosion, clothing mostly blown away from waist up, hair wild and tangled, chest glowing, leaving only the shredded remains of her short skirt, which is trying to fall off.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: aguilauno, TwiceOnThursdays

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
01 Apr 2019 16:59 #63548 by conceptfan

shadar wrote: Imagine a grenade thst she smothers by burying it between her boobs to protect a crowd of bystanders, and the image of the aftermath of the explosion, clothing mostly blown away from waist up, hair wild and tangled, chest glowing, leaving only the shredded remains of her short skirt, which is trying to fall off.

If you insist....

More
01 Apr 2019 18:51 #63549 by hbwh08
Both can be nice, but I prefer civil. Being casual enough about her powers that she doesn't even bother with a costume adds to the appeal.

More
01 Apr 2019 18:58 #63550 by Agent00Soul
Costumes for sure.  But I'm an alter-ego guy.  I enjoy the switching between civvies and costume.

Having said that Laura's super flight attendant was incredible.  And they made it so her jacket was still the right shade of red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe, erikphandel

More
01 Apr 2019 21:11 - 01 Apr 2019 21:12 #63552 by bionicskillz
On one hand I'm a huge comic nerd first and foremost. but on the other when I first saw the Bionic Woman doing feats of strength in regular clothes or her undercover uniforms that mixed with a boot fetish at an early age was a big turn on. Buck Rogers, Basttlestar Galactica reruns generated lots of fantasies. In my later years I discovered the latex catsuit as well which sends me over the top but it depends on the comic book heroine costume as well. I love my X-Babes from Marvel or seeing Gotham city chicks with super strength is hot too!

PS = Anime/Manga is now a big source of inspiration for outfits as well.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2019 21:12 by bionicskillz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mechjok, Agent00Soul

More
01 Apr 2019 21:21 - 01 Apr 2019 23:20 #63553 by Agent00Soul

shadar wrote:

fats wrote: No clothes.

Fats

Civvies hanging in shreds or blown off covers all my bases.

For some reason, She-Hulk in her Savage-era 1979/80 incarnation hit the buttons for me too.  There was something about a petite lawyer in those conservative clothes ripping into a green 8-foot Raquel Welch that fascinated me.  No matter what she was wearing, it always ended up in a shredded white one-piece.  I guess that was her "costume" but I never figured out what it was that she was wearing under her civvies that looked like that.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 01 Apr 2019 23:20 by Agent00Soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
02 Apr 2019 01:19 #63560 by Markiehoe
To answer again.
I like (sexy) costumes.

To answer an earlier question.
Before i stopped watching the show there was an extended scene where Supergirl, in her civies, Lena and Miss Tessmacher were being chased by badguys and in order to protect her identity Supergirl performs all her super feats explaining them away as natural or un intended events. I thought that was cute. More so because her costume was under her clothes.

I never do get tired of Supergirl ripping her blouse open revealing her "S" logo on her suit.

Another fun scene was when she slowly and carefully took her blouse off in front of everyone.
She looks up and says: "What? I like this shirt,"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R, kikass2014

More
02 Apr 2019 11:01 #63562 by kikass2014
I loved that last one, when she slowly takes it off, quipping she likes the shirt :)

Nice touch :)

Peace.

/K

More
02 Apr 2019 14:09 #63563 by Woody
So I'm assuming the parameters here for strength feats are something akin to stopping a car with your body or lifting a tree Mr Incredible style or something that is considered out of the ordinary. A girl in a gym lifting an inordinate amount at the gym wouldn't necessary be out of place and wouldn't really impress me. 

For me imagining the car scenario kind of like in My Super Ex Girlfriend with Uma Thurman. (I think she does from memory) but putting in say Powergirl in her costume.(g girl isn't really decked out in a way that helps this scenario)

Asking my self which is preferable to watch i'm going to say costume. in civvies you don't see the body react, in costume traditionally the clothes are more form fitting which allows for more muscle definition to be seen which is probably the crux of what i'd be looking at.

Seeing the scenario in plain clothes would have me asking what the f just happened. Where as in costume you KNOW what just happened. confusion or understanding. I'm taking understanding

That's my two cents

I'm Kent Brockm.... I mean Woody.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Agent00Soul

More
02 Apr 2019 16:48 #63566 by Random321
I love both.  The "girl next door" with hidden powers is an awesome thought ~ so is a full athletic looking costume that adds to the dramatic nature of the heroics.  As some have alluded to the costume being under the civvies is also a personal favorite for me ~ as if I had to tell you.

I'm also 100% on board with Shadar's though of the civvies being blasted off ~ but the heroines I like might stay a bit more "modest" than Shadar's post blast.

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe

More
02 Apr 2019 17:17 #63570 by Woodclaw
Both, none, either...

I really can't make up my mind because it's so dependent on the situation.
Costumes work great for really iconic moments - big clashes, massive battles, you name it - and that's really their place, but there is the subtle pleasure of seeing a character pulling a small strength feat in civvies trying not to be noticed. Going back to the '70s Wonder Woman TV series, one of the things that always struck me as weird was how Diana never used her strength when not in costume.

BTW, in terms of costumes, I'm pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum to Shadar: spandex was never my thing, I much prefer something that looks a bit sturdier (the TV Supergirl costume hit a pretty nice balance for me).

More
02 Apr 2019 17:30 - 02 Apr 2019 17:30 #63572 by Markiehoe

Woodclaw wrote: Going back to the '70s Wonder Woman TV series, one of the things that always struck me as weird was how Diana never used her strength when not in costume.

In the TV show Wonder Woman got her strength from her belt.
As plain old Diana she was as strong as a physically fit woman of her size and shape.

In one episode Diana was at the beach, in a sexy black bathing suit,  and was assaulted by three badguys
She was able to realistically defend herself using martial arts moves and then ran away when the guys were down.
No one woman could beat three grown men. /attachment]
As soon as she could she transformed to Wonder Woman and met out some super justice.

I thought that was one of the most exciting and "realistic" scenes they ever pulled off.

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 02 Apr 2019 17:30 by Markiehoe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent00Soul, kikass2014

More
02 Apr 2019 17:39 #63573 by Random321
Wonder Woman Beach Battle: 

The surf board toss is just so classic.  The kick she does when she comes up for air is also just perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Artnico, SCOTT R, Markiehoe

More
02 Apr 2019 19:24 #63574 by shadar
This all made me think of a protest drawing that was done a number of years ago when the comics tried to put WW in a "modern" costume that involved leggings and which more or less covered all of her up.. This was around the time of that failed WW TV show pilot. 

Here we see that "modern" costume being torn apart to reveal what WW's costume should really look like. I have to say, I agree.  

As much as I like strength feats in civvies, there is an undeniable attraction to ripping clothing away to reveal a very skimpy underlying outfit that only someone with a super-body could get away with wearing. 

Diana qualifies. 

Shadar

The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Markiehoe, Agent00Soul

• shadar
More
03 Apr 2019 01:43 #63577 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Strength feats in civil clothes or superhero costume?
I think my answer to the question is "yes".

As in, at times I like one more than the other but honestly both really ding my meter (with the provisio that the costume is good enough).

I really do love the hideen girl next door thing, and I'd say it was a clear winner ... but then some gorgeous woman in a good costume saunters out and does some strength feat and my brain melts. so ... "yes" is the right answer.  (Same answer I give to "Marvel or DC" (or independent))

And the She-Hulk transformation picture was always one of my favorite things. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R, Agent00Soul, RD

More
03 Apr 2019 21:23 #63591 by Agent00Soul
Before she was the most powerful hero in the universe, Carol Danvers had to literally change identities if she was going to save the day,  It wasn't just the skimpy costume.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
03 Apr 2019 22:31 #63592 by Random321

Agent00Soul wrote: Having said that Laura's super flight attendant was incredible.  And they made it so her jacket was still the right shade of red.

Laura ~ playing as Brainiac ~ playing as Kara. It was so good and such a missed opportunity at the same time.

More
04 Apr 2019 00:13 #63593 by Woodclaw

Agent00Soul wrote: Before she was the most powerful hero in the universe, Carol Danvers had to literally change identities if she was going to save the day,  It wasn't just the skimpy costume.

At the time the general assumption was that Ms. Marvel was a completely different personality. In later stories, it turned out that the "Carol Danvers journalist" was actually a coping mechanism she created to deal with the stress of her first transformation.

More
04 Apr 2019 00:44 #63597 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Strength feats in civil clothes or superhero costume?

Agent00Soul wrote: Before she was the most powerful hero in the universe, Carol Danvers had to literally change identities if she was going to save the day,  It wasn't just the skimpy costume.

this was the start of my prime time for my comic collecting.   It was a good time w Ms Marvel, She-Hulk, and Slider-Woman.

The first few issues if She-Hulk in the Avengers were excellent — being dressed up by Wasp, having to take those clothes off and fight in lingerie, kissing Hawkeye to shut him up...

all prime “woman not in a Costume” material.

and then to have Titania appear in secret wars (first panels are again wo costume) — and Byrne to poach She-Hulk for the FF?

the faux playboy FF  issue is a fantastic costume and non costume mix.  she-Hulk rolling that guy’s safe into a ball?  Priceless.

on my phone else I’d post pictures.

what a glorious age of Comics.  :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
04 Apr 2019 03:36 #63603 by Markiehoe
I have to say I was a 70s kid also and I was a fan of the "Liberated" Ladies in their sexy costumes.

I think my favorite was the original Spiderwoman.

For a costume that covered just about every square inch it sure was sexy and holds up well to this day.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Agent00Soul

More
04 Apr 2019 04:03 #63605 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic Strength feats in civil clothes or superhero costume?
Out of costume, any day of the week. I'm always glad to see it happen in Supergirl, like that scene where she uses a car as a punching bag.

More
04 Apr 2019 12:37 #63611 by Fred9101

steelknight3000 wrote: Out of costume, any day of the week. I'm always glad to see it happen in Supergirl, like that scene where she uses a car as a punching bag.

Do you remember the episode?

• Fred9101
  • Fred9101's Avatar Topic Author
More
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds