Amount

Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

23 Apr 2011 15:16 #22794 by clyde
Replied by clyde on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

DietSnapple71 wrote: Action Comics #472 was, of course, the last issue to feature Superman as a regular character. After tormenting Superman for most of the story, Faora finally put the man of steel out of his misery with a massive blow to the jugular which killed him almost instantly.

From #473-#499 "Superman's Action Comics" became "Faora's Action Comics", for a two-year story arc that became known as the "Earth Empress" arc. Faora declared herself Empress Faora, Dictatrix of Earth. Stories during this period mostly revolved around plots by the human resistance (aided by Lex Luthor) to undermine the rule of Empress Faora. These plots would always be foiled, with the humans defeated and humiliated by a triumphant Faora, her grip on Earth stronger than ever. A backup feature during this time focused on Supergirl travelling the universe, trying to find somebody who could train her in the fighting techniques needed to defeat Faora.

In issue #500, the series was renamed "Supergirl's Action Comics". This issue was double-sized and showed Supergirl's triumphant return to Earth, at the end of which she defeated Faora and sent the villain back to the Phantom Zone. This issue came out at the same time as 1979's "Supergirl: The Movie", which was a world-wide sensation, establishing Supergirl as the most popular superhero in popular culture.

Supergirl continues to star in Action Comics to this day. Superman (an alternate universe version) returned briefly during the Crisis On Infinite Earths; his heroic sacrifice being the centerpiece of issue #7.

A recent attempt by DC to re-introduce Superman has floundered due to a revolving door of writers; apparently people are less than willing to work on a character who seems a pale shadow of his more popular cousin. Meanwhile, Supergirl's popularity goes from strength to strength, with everyone anticipating the latest movie, directed by James Cameron and starring Scarlett Johansson to be the biggest yet.

It's really amazing that the Superman character lasted as long as it did. You'd think that the DC would have figured out sooner how much more powerful and dynamic female super heroines and villains are than their male counterparts, though they do provide some comic relief as they desperately try to prove they are in the same league as the females.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2011 05:28 #22799 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

clyde wrote: It's really amazing that the Superman character lasted as long as it did. You'd think that the DC would have figured out sooner how much more powerful and dynamic female super heroines and villains are than their male counterparts, though they do provide some comic relief as they desperately try to prove they are in the same league as the females.

I remember after the "Death of Supergirl" when they gave each of the four super-books to a different character.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Cyborg Supergirl , who was first believed to be the real Supergirl, but who was later revealed to be monstrous villain when she single-handedly destroyed Coast City.

Tomorrow Woman, who has carved out a place for herself in the DC universe, most recently having joined the Justice League.

Mrs. Superman, who turned out to be an insane woman, obsessed with the idea of finding and marrying a "super" man. Her powers were obtained by hooking Supergirl's body up to a piece of Kryptonian technology; this technology was later responsible for Supergirl's resurrection.

Everybody now remembers that Power Girl was the fourth of the replacements for Supergirl, but what few people now know is that they first tried to headline "Adventures of Supergirl" with Superboy. Comic book stores refused to stock the book because they knew that they would not be able to sell a male-centered comic to fans who had become used to dynamic, beautiful superheroines. The Superboy issues were scrapped and pulped and the story was rapidly rewritten to feature Power Girl as the lead, with Superboy reduced to a comic relief sidekick. His main role was to get himself into trouble and be rescued by Power Girl.

- GeekSeven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
24 Apr 2011 13:22 - 24 Apr 2011 13:23 #22805 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

DietSnapple71 wrote: I remember after the "Death of Supergirl" when they gave each of the four super-books to a different character.

There was also the so-called "fifth supergirl", Natasha Irons introduced after the concept of Mrs. Superman tanked.

She was (and still is) a good character, but with three major drawbacks: first she was never a "real" Supergirl but rather a power-armor user os many fans discounted her as the DC version of Beth Cabe (the War Machine); second - due to her ghetto origins - she never really get around her reputation of "Jobber to the Stars" especially after her introduction to the JLA (Justice League of Amazons); third she got a decent male support in the form of her uncle John, which so many fans saw as a drawback (pretty much Big Barda has the same problem).
Last edit: 24 Apr 2011 13:23 by Woodclaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inactive

More
25 Apr 2011 06:13 - 25 Apr 2011 06:14 #22819 by clyde
Replied by clyde on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

DietSnapple71 wrote: Everybody now remembers that Power Girl was the fourth of the replacements for Supergirl, but what few people now know is that they first tried to headline "Adventures of Supergirl" with Superboy. Comic book stores refused to stock the book because they knew that they would not be able to sell a male-centered comic to fans who had become used to dynamic, beautiful superheroines. The Superboy issues were scrapped and pulped and the story was rapidly rewritten to feature Power Girl as the lead, with Superboy reduced to a comic relief sidekick. His main role was to get himself into trouble and be rescued by Power Girl.

I think I remember those issues. It was always fun to see how Superboy was always trying to prove he was as much of a hero as Power Girl, though he was neither as strong or as smart as her. He never seemed to learn from his mistakes no matter how many times Power Girl saved his but. It was especially fun when Superboy got himself outclassed and captured by a super villainess who Power Girl would then defeat with relative ease.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 06:14 by clyde.

More
25 Apr 2011 13:03 #22824 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

clyde wrote:

DietSnapple71 wrote: Everybody now remembers that Power Girl was the fourth of the replacements for Supergirl, but what few people now know is that they first tried to headline "Adventures of Supergirl" with Superboy. Comic book stores refused to stock the book because they knew that they would not be able to sell a male-centered comic to fans who had become used to dynamic, beautiful superheroines. The Superboy issues were scrapped and pulped and the story was rapidly rewritten to feature Power Girl as the lead, with Superboy reduced to a comic relief sidekick. His main role was to get himself into trouble and be rescued by Power Girl.

I think I remember those issues. It was always fun to see how Superboy was always trying to prove he was as much of a hero as Power Girl, though he was neither as strong or as smart as her. He never seemed to learn from his mistakes no matter how many times Power Girl saved his but. It was especially fun when Superboy got himself outclassed and captured by a super villainess who Power Girl would then defeat with relative ease.

I have very few memories of those issues, but I found them pretty sad, while I can understand that the heroic business at the time was basicly a girl playground (with few notable exceptions like Mr. Miracle), but the characterization of Superboy at the time was so limited that the character felt as flat as a cardboard stand.

More
28 Apr 2011 01:45 #22850 by AJF
Comingsoon.net via Variety is reporting that German actress Antje Traue has been cast as Faora. She is best known for her role in Pandorum.

More
28 Apr 2011 01:54 - 28 Apr 2011 01:55 #22851 by lfan
HAHA! Beat me to it by 5 minutes, AJF....

From VARIETY: "There are multiple Faoras in the Superman universe, so it remains unclear which one Traue has been tapped to play. The first Faora, Faora Hu-Ul, was introduced in Action Comics #471 as a beautiful Kryptonian woman with an intense unexplained hatred for all men. She was an expert at the Kryptonian martial art of Horo-Kanu, which utilizes pressure points on the Kryptonian body and made her a dangerous foe for Superman to fight in hand-to-hand combat. In fact, he was forced to flee from their first encounter. That said, it's more likely that Traue will be playing the version of Faora that debuted in Action Comics #779 as a Pokolistanian aide of General Zod. That character was an orphan metahuman with the ability to disrupt molecular bonds, which allowed her to create a mutagenic virus that served as the linchpin of Zod's plan."

AJF wrote: Comingsoon.net via Variety is reporting that German actress Antje Traue has been cast as Faora. She is best known for her role in Pandorum.

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 01:55 by lfan.

• lfan
  • lfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
More
28 Apr 2011 07:21 #22857 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!
Poko-what? Does that mean she's not Kryptonian? And that she won't have Kryptonian super-powers?

More
28 Apr 2011 07:25 #22859 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

argonaut wrote: Poko-what? Does that mean she's not Kryptonian? And that she won't have Kryptonian super-powers?

I hope that was just speculation on the part of the Variety writer, based on a cursory examination of Faora/Zaora's Wikipedia entry.

- GeekSeven

More
28 Apr 2011 07:36 - 28 Apr 2011 07:38 #22860 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

Poko-what? Does that mean she's not Kryptonian? And that she won't have Kryptonian super-powers?

Yes, that's what I want to see: an orphan metahuman with the ability to disrupt molecular bonds. :dry:

I couldn't find a smiley that truly expresses what I'm feeling right now, so this will have to do

I hope that was just speculation on the part of the Variety writer, based on a cursory examination of Faora/Zaora's Wikipedia entry.

I hope to Goddess you're right, DietSnapple

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 07:38 by dr lazarus.

More
28 Apr 2011 11:48 #22865 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!
Hey, nice choice!!!!!! She kicked some serious ass in Pandorum (with a cute accent). And looks like a hotter carrie ann moss:lol:

Now come on, he will use the man-hating kung-kripto-fighter version, I´m sure of it. It´s Snyder fellas:cheer:

right?:huh: :dry:

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"

More
24 Aug 2011 14:42 - 25 Aug 2011 06:39 #24538 by dr lazarus
First Glimpse Of Female Villain Faora On The Man Of Steel Set
A new batch of spy pics from the Plano set of Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel seem to give us our first (distant) look at actress Antje Traue as General Zod's partner in crime Faora.

These are the source pix for that edit I made. They used to be up at the CBM site but for whatever reason they removed them.

Ursa. Her time has come.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2011 06:39 by dr lazarus.

More
24 Aug 2011 17:49 #24541 by AJF
This is being shot about an hour west of where I live.

More
25 Aug 2011 21:57 #24564 by dr lazarus

This is being shot about an hour west of where I live.

Cool! Did you get to see any of the filming?

Ursa. Her time has come.

More
26 Aug 2011 01:58 #24566 by AJF
No.

More
26 Aug 2011 02:42 #24567 by freeLancer
Replied by freeLancer on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!
Can hardly wait for this movie. 2013 is a long time to wait.

Interesting that she doesn't have cgi suit while zod does.

Hopefully we will get a closer up pic of her.

I guess with a cape, it means she will be able to fly. Awesome. And hopefully all the other super powers as well.

More
27 Aug 2011 03:30 #24575 by dr lazarus

freeLancer wrote: I guess with a cape, it means she will be able to fly. Awesome. And hopefully all the other super powers as well.

Yes, those set photos alleviate most of my worries as to who exactly Faora was going to be: the super-strong, super-evil Ursa clone, or the lame-ass metahuman from Pokolistan. From the looks of her costume, she will be the former, which is a relief, since I had fears of something like this taking place ...

Zod: Ursa, come here! I need you to help me lift and carry a cruise ship full of people, and then drop it on Metropolis! Muwhahaha!

Faora (who is busy reading the latest issue of Cosmo): First off, my name is Faora. Second, I'm not the super-strong Kryptonian Faora. I'm uh, oh yeah, "a Pokolistanian metahuman with the ability to disrupt molecular bonds." So if you want someone to do some heavy lifting, don't look at me. Maybe you should call that Ursa person. Wanna use my cell?

Zod: *sigh* Why me? Why me?!? :P

Here are some candid set photos of Miss Traue out of costume:

And it Looks like Smallville gets trashed, like Houston, Idaho did in Superman II (let's hope Faora is responsible for most of the damage).

Man of Steel: Pics of Smallville's Destruction - CBM

Ursa. Her time has come.

More
27 Aug 2011 04:56 #24579 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!
Fun - mayhem and destruction. A Kansas National Guard airplane wing in the car? The colors don't look quite right - but maybe.

More
27 Aug 2011 05:23 #24581 by freeLancer
I was hoping that there will be swat / special forces type confrontation. Looks like that's happening too. More thumbs up.

Hopefully it is not campy like the old superman movies and more serious action scenes like Batman Begins and dark knight.

More
27 Aug 2011 05:27 #24582 by freeLancer

Random321 wrote: Fun - mayhem and destruction. A Kansas National Guard airplane wing in the car? The colors don't look quite right - but maybe.

I would say those helicopter guys look like special forces to me. I dont think National guardsmen ride on the outside of helicopter like that.

Plus would you send any thing other than SF to confront Earth's deadliest threat.

More
27 Aug 2011 09:25 #24587 by dr lazarus

freeLancer wrote: I was hoping that there will be swat / special forces type confrontation. Looks like that's happening too. More thumbs up.

Hopefully it is not campy like the old superman movies and more serious action scenes like Batman Begins and dark knight.

From what I understand that's the idea behind Man of Steel: a more serious, Nolan-like take on Supes.

Ursa. Her time has come.

More
28 Aug 2011 07:28 - 28 Aug 2011 07:29 #24602 by Random321
Replied by Random321 on topic Re: Bad News: No Ursa in Superman Reboot!

freeLancer wrote: I would say those helicopter guys look like special forces to me. I dont think National guardsmen ride on the outside of helicopter like that.

I agree 100% on the chopper looking like special forces. However, I thought the piece of wing or vertical stabilizer that is smashed into the roof of the burning mini van looked like the old style National Guard label in yellow and black - and it also says "Kansas" on it.

My hope is they also "brought down" a jet.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2011 07:29 by Random321.

More
30 Aug 2011 10:38 - 30 Aug 2011 11:16 #24621 by dr lazarus
Here's a few more shots:

Ursa. Her time has come.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2011 11:16 by dr lazarus. Reason: added pic

More
01 Sep 2011 12:09 #24647 by dr lazarus
another one of Antje Traue half-dressed as Faora.

Ursa. Her time has come.

More
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds