Amount

Ursa vs Faora

22 Jun 2013 01:19 #32032 by Markiehoe
Ursa vs Faora was created by Markiehoe
Ursa has Faora beat in every category!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2013 01:44 #32033 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Ursa vs Faora
Agree to disagree :)

Elf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayface

More
22 Jun 2013 02:10 #32034 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Ursa vs Faora
This is meant all in good fun.
I believe Ursa is sexier.
She has better lines in the movie.
She has the better costume hands down.
She is an equal of Zod not a subordinate.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jun 2013 03:04 #32036 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Ursa vs Faora
Zaora with a 'Z' beats them both into a cocked hat.

Then she punches Kal-El's heart out of his chest for dessert.

- GeekSeven

More
22 Jun 2013 05:48 #32037 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Ursa vs Faora
Zaora, Ursa, and Faora surveyed the blasted miasma of rubble and dismembered humanity that had once been Metropolis.

"I'm so glad that we decided to team up," said Ursa. "Destroying Metropolis was so... Satisfying."

"Wasn't it fun when Kal-El tried to stop us," said Zaora, "As if he could hope to stand against the three of us."

"My favorite part was when I choked the life out of him and tossed him to one side like a piece of garbage," said Faora.

"So, what now?" asked Ursa.

"Whatever the fuck we want," replied Zaora and Faora, in unison.

- GeekSeven

More
22 Jun 2013 06:32 #32038 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Ursa vs Faora

geekseven wrote: Zaora, Ursa, and Faora surveyed the blasted miasma of rubble and dismembered humanity that had once been Metropolis.

"I'm so glad that we decided to team up," said Ursa. "Destroying Metropolis was so... Satisfying."

"Wasn't it fun when Kal-El tried to stop us," said Zaora, "As if he could hope to stand against the three of us."

"My favorite part was when I choked the life out of him and tossed him to one side like a piece of garbage," said Faora.

"So, what now?" asked Ursa.

"Whatever the fuck we want," replied Zaora and Faora, in unison.

But what about australia GeekSeven, What about australia?

More
23 Jun 2013 21:06 #32050 by sgfan05
Replied by sgfan05 on topic Ursa vs Faora
Faora, while I still appreciate Ursa's SM II performance, I really dug Faora armor and all from MOS

More
25 Jun 2013 12:09 #32055 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Ursa vs Faora
Okay I've watched Man of Steel last night and I think the comparison is a bit unfair. Both characters are meant to be incarnations of the "evil supergirl" trope, but in different ways.

Ursa is generally portrayed as sexier and more deliberatly sadistic.

Faora is more hard-assed and efficient.

They're not meant to fill the same narrative niche. If you need an entire planet exterminated in minutes, Faora will probably be better. If you need that same planet crushed in submission and terror Ursa will probably be better.

More
25 Jun 2013 17:58 #32059 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Ursa vs Faora
What did you think about the fights?

Many of us have tried to portray super-powered fights in stories, images and video, but I found that many of the fight CGI scenes in MOS exceeded even my wildest imagination. It raised the bar for what I'm going to try and portray in future stories.

There are many things I likee in the movie (and a few things I didn't), but the fight scenes were a new high-water mark for super-powered combat. Right up there with the Hulk movie, which had less impact given it was, well, the hulk. Seeing Faora in action was great, but so was the epic fight between Zod and Kal El.

Shadar

Anon wrote: Okay I've watched Man of Steel last night and I think the comparison is a bit unfair. Both characters are meant to be incarnations of the "evil supergirl" trope, but in different ways.

They're not meant to fill the same narrative niche. If you need an entire planet exterminated in minutes, Faora will probably be better. If you need that same planet crushed in submission and terror Ursa will probably be better.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Jun 2013 18:13 #32060 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: What did you think about the fights?

Many of us have tried to portray super-powered fights in stories, images and video, but I found that many of the fight CGI scenes in MOS exceeded even my wildest imagination. It raised the bar for what I'm going to try and portray in future stories.

There are many things I likee in the movie (and a few things I didn't), but the fight scenes were a new high-water mark for super-powered combat. Right up there with the Hulk movie, which had less impact given it was, well, the hulk. Seeing Faora in action was great, but so was the epic fight between Zod and Kal El.

Shadar

The fight scenes were quite impressive and they portrayed the collateral damage of a superpowered brawl in a very impressive manner. I have to say that sometimes I've found stories that had some impressive combat stunts and description, but I agree that the bar was set pretty high here (I think that the Avengers movie helped it too), although maybe not as high as some authors have done in the past.

More
25 Jun 2013 21:02 #32062 by lfan
The fight scenes were fantastic, especially those involving Faora. The technique they used with the abrupt quick strikes for her was a nice homage to her comic counterpart who was a kryptonian martial arts expert if I'm not mistaken.

Her whole fighting technique reminded me of a cobra. Very slow and deliberate -- almost intimidating -- and then when she strikes its in the blink of an eye.

ElF

shadar wrote: What did you think about the fights?

Shadar

Anon wrote: Okay I've watched Man of Steel last night and I think the comparison is a bit unfair. Both characters are meant to be incarnations of the "evil supergirl" trope, but in different ways.

More
25 Jun 2013 21:13 #32063 by Markiehoe
Am I the only Ursa fan here?
Faora seemed like a generic character to me, could have been played by a dude with no change of dialogue or direction.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Jun 2013 21:27 #32064 by lfan
I liked Ursa...I liked Faora better. Ursa was best for Superman II which definitely had a lighter tone. In that movie, all three Krypton baddies were very carricature-ish in my opinion.

While I'm not a big fan of Nolan's (and everyone else's) 'make everything dark and gritty' approach, Faora's character was obviously better suited.

Looks-wise, I thought Faora was wayyyy sexier and prettier than Ursa.

My $.02
ElF

Markiehoe wrote: Am I the only Ursa fan here?
Faora seemed like a generic character to me, could have been played by a dude with no change of dialogue or direction.

More
25 Jun 2013 21:35 #32065 by Markiehoe
There is only one scene in MoS where Faora shows any emotion. When Krypton is being destroyed.
Other than that she could have been a robot in my opinion.
Waste of a good actress and good looking woman.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Jun 2013 22:52 #32066 by Woodclaw

Markiehoe wrote: Am I the only Ursa fan here?

As I said I think that they're twwo different characters and making a comparison is quite unfair. Still I disagree with the idea that she could have been a robot. Showing little emotion made sense given her character is supposed to be genetically projected and trained to be as ruthless and unempathic as possible.

More
25 Jun 2013 23:51 #32068 by shadar
I just got both the MOS coffee table book (excellent by the way) and the novelization of the movie, which at least starts off interestingly.

As far as Auntje goes, she trained in Salt Lake with Twight, who trained Henry Cavill and others, she claimed she stayed aloof and completely socially isolated during the filming so as to feel the character. She claimed Faora is supposed to be the only single-dimensional character in the movie. She kills without mercy or regret. That's all she does. She has previously killed the finest, bravest, best protectors of the Krypton, and violence is her only satisfaction.

I remember one comic book appearance a very long time ago where she appeared to get this orgasmic pleasure from crushing men in her arms after her pheromones and beauty had drawn them to her. She was nude and standing in a lake in one scene, drawing an innocent sheepherder who thought he'd died and gone to heaven when she opened her arms to him. He was right, except that he hadn't quite gotten there yet. I thought that was pretty racy back in the 70's. The comic claimed: "his fragile ribs crushed against the steel of her own" before she released his crushed body to drown in his own blood. In that comic, it was said "she preyed on men."

That's been Faora to me ever since. A homicidal man-hater that only Zod could control.

MOS did nothing to change my view of her.

I hope wherever Zod's crew wound up after they were sucked into a "wormhole" or back to the Phantom Zone, that Faora reappears in a sequel.

Shadar

• shadar
More
26 Jun 2013 04:32 #32072 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Ursa vs Faora
I recall that comic where she was taking a bath in a pond. The young man viewed her from the bushes. He would have been perfectly hidden except for her super hear. It was an excellent side story for back history on her.

I believe it was a phantom zone escape issue. I believe I was under 10 at the time.

More
26 Jun 2013 06:34 #32073 by shadar
That sounds like the issue. I have no idea today what it was called, but it was an amazing (and horrible) view of Faora.

Shadar

Raa wrote: I recall that comic where she was taking a bath in a pond. The young man viewed her from the bushes. He would have been perfectly hidden except for her super hear. It was an excellent side story for back history on her.

I believe it was a phantom zone escape issue. I believe I was under 10 at the time.

• shadar
More
26 Jun 2013 06:40 #32074 by shadar
Google is amazing... The issue was Phantom Zone #3, issued March 1982.

Problem now is to find it.

Shadar

shadar wrote: That sounds like the issue. I have no idea today what it was called, but it was an amazing (and horrible) view of Faora.

Shadar

Raa wrote: I recall that comic where she was taking a bath in a pond. The young man viewed her from the bushes. He would have been perfectly hidden except for her super hear. It was an excellent side story for back history on her.

• shadar
More
26 Jun 2013 12:22 #32075 by lfan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, shadar, Raa

More
26 Jun 2013 13:27 #32076 by Raa
Replied by Raa on topic Ursa vs Faora
I found it last night. I'm downloading it now. Hopefully the it won't take long.

More
26 Jun 2013 14:07 #32077 by shadar
That was the scene... Very unusual for comics of the time. She killed that man for her own pleasure. It woudn't be a stretch to believe she gets off on it, given the way she draws the man in and kills him so personally and intimately.

The Faora in MOS never got out of her armor or away from the fighting, but I have no doubt she revels in death as much as the Faora from this old comic. You can call her cold or a robot or killing machine, but she's actually a very disturbed and infinitely dangerous woman, especially under a yellow sun.

Her pleasure in life is causing death, and as she said in the movie, she lacks anything resembling morality.

Shadar

lfan wrote: bobfishontherun.deviantart.com/art/Faora-Hu-ul-373416418

• shadar
More
26 Jun 2013 18:53 #32080 by shadar
In thinking back, I realize now how influential that Faora scene from Phantom Zone #3 was in terms of my engagement with this genre. I was just starting to push a few words around back in the mid 1980's, trying my hand at stories that eventually went up on some bulletin boards (who remembers those?) in the pre-Internet days. By the time the 80's were gone, and web sites had replace bulletin boards, I had the whole Velorian thing going, which turned into the Aurora Universe (Aurora was my first superfemme).

Interesting that the ubergirl trope established deeper roots and has continued to this day, kept alive by this very community. In some ways, I think MOS might bring it to the mainstream, after so many vampire-related stories and shows and movies. I'm not a vampire lover, given I prefer my characters come from genetic engineering and other forms of speculative science fiction.

Which just happens to be where MOS is going. If this new reboot takes hold and turns into a successful franchise for Superman and related characters, especially if someone like Faora can establish a recurring role, then I'm going to be pretty happy.

On the other hand, perhaps vampire lovers turn into zombie freaks and the idea of the ubergirl trope (both evil and good) flies right past us again. But hopefully not.

If we could get Kara Zor El and Faora into the same movie, especially if we also had WW, that would be awesome. Kara and Diana might have a chance if they worked together to fight Faora. Might.

But not sure Kal El's character could handle three super-powered females in the same movie. Like it or not, he'll always be the star.

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds