Amount

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman?

05 Dec 2013 04:29 #34581 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman?
Here's hoping we see something like this in MOS 2... Ben Affleck as Batman (seriously bad casting) deserves to have his head stepped on by the goddess herself:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Shadar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
05 Dec 2013 10:31 #34583 by AlbertC
Replied by AlbertC on topic Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman?
Maybe it's time to wait a little bit. Hollywood knows how to transform skinny into athletic/fat/anything, or the opposite. Let's give time to the time

More
05 Dec 2013 15:47 #34586 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
WhileI agree that this lady is nowhere near the top of my list of possible Wonder Woman candidates, I think that there's a deeper problem here.
Wonder Woman is generally described as incredibly - almost absurdly - beautiful. Too often this boils down to describing her as "supermodel beautiful", which is a gross misnoner in this case. Usually supermodels tend to be waif thin - although this habit has somewaht shifted over time - while WW is in many ways more "meaty" and in general much ore athletic.
This last bit is the one that create the biggest problems in my mind. Since execs works on the "minimum common factor" (and are in general trend followers instea of trend setters) the idea of a woman being as beautiful and muscular as WW in their eyes is a contradiction, because muscular women are by default unattractive.

More
05 Dec 2013 16:56 #34587 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
Love the way the internet goes ballistic whenever casting is done for a comic book character. I can't think of one casting decision that wasn't met with scorn from comic book fans. Even Robert Downey Jr. was criticized as "too short" and "too corny" for Iron Man. Well, we all know how that turned out...and don't even get me started on the venom directed Heath Ledger's way.

Point being, please give these people a chance before pouncing on them. Affleck could be just fine for Batman and Ms. Gadot could be just fine for WW. We don't know...

More
05 Dec 2013 17:00 #34588 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
We also got noted pothead Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet
Johnny Depp as Tonto with a dead bird on his head.
Disney just about killed the western with that one.
The wrong actress as Wonder Woman will kill that franchise before it even gets a chance.

More
05 Dec 2013 20:00 #34590 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
I don't disagree with you on any particular point, but a bad script or portrayal will kill her even faster.

What if only her extensive combat training puts her in Batman's class? If only her fast reflexes and bracelets protect her? In other words, a slightly souped-up Black Widow who needs an invisible machine to fly, and not an equal of Superman in any way?

You laugh, but it could happen. I'm taking bets that the studios won't show her as being able to toss a bus or bend steel beams or rip the gun turret off a battleship (as she does in the current comic, where she is more physical than Superman). Hope I'm dead wrong and I lose this bet big time, but I worry more about that kind of de-powering her into a Batman-class figure than I do the selection of the actress to play her. Maybe they'll save all the super-heroic special effects for Superman.

I'm waiting for the first stills to come out of the action scene captures to judge what they are doing with her.

Remember Charlize Theron in Hancock when we saw a production still that showed her holding the front of a semi-truck over her head with one hand? Up until then, most people assumed she was just the cute girl/love interest. Suddenly the movie got a lot more interesting.

Anyway, I'll be looking for the same kind of shots when they begin filming MOS 2.

Shadar

Markiehoe wrote: We also got noted pothead Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet
The wrong actress as Wonder Woman will kill that franchise before it even gets a chance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• shadar
  • Away
More
05 Dec 2013 20:46 #34591 by shadar
What gals me is that they had the perfect actress in Jaime Alexander. She already knows how to play a goddess and a kick-ass warrior -- and she looks the part in this photoenhance:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shadar
  • Away
More
05 Dec 2013 21:18 #34592 by castor
Replied by castor on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...

shadar wrote: I don't disagree with you on any particular point, but a bad script or portrayal will kill her even faster.

What if only her extensive combat training puts her in Batman's class? If only her fast reflexes and bracelets protect her? In other words, a slightly souped-up Black Widow who needs an invisible machine to fly, and not an equal of Superman in any way?

You laugh, but it could happen. I'm taking bets that the studios won't show her as being able to toss a bus or bend steel beams or rip the gun turret off a battleship (as she does in the current comic, where she is more physical than Superman). Hope I'm dead wrong and I lose this bet big time, but I worry more about that kind of de-powering her into a Batman-class figure than I do the selection of the actress to play her. Maybe they'll save all the super-heroic special effects for Superman.

I'm waiting for the first stills to come out of the action scene captures to judge what they are doing with her.

Remember Charlize Theron in Hancock when we saw a production still that showed her holding the front of a semi-truck over her head with one hand? Up until then, most people assumed she was just the cute girl/love interest. Suddenly the movie got a lot more interesting.

Anyway, I'll be looking for the same kind of shots when they begin filming MOS 2.

Shadar

Markiehoe wrote: We also got noted pothead Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet

I will agree with shadar.
The problem is that wonder womans powers can often seem-well inconsistent in the comics. Regardless of times when specifically where she is depowered she has often for example fought batman at the more or less equal rank.
That said it could be done well. I suspect we are going to see those shots at least a little bit. They could but I don’t think there going to be that…dumb.

(though I disagree in this sence. Hancock was never intresting)

Putting her in the movie could help with the problem of “superman carries batman” you often see in worlds finest comics. By putting him in a big enough group the fact that he actually can’t do much disguises things.

of course it also just puts her in a big group. such is life.

More
05 Dec 2013 22:37 #34594 by shadar
io9.com , my very favorite website, has an excellent article and discussion called How To Make a Wonder Woman Movie. You might have to scroll down a bit to find the article.

The elaborate and thoughtful comments to the question of how to make it are very interesting. Also a couple of side articles, including one that contains action footage of Gal Gadot that is pretty good. She can kick ass.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
06 Dec 2013 13:58 #34600 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
You are right shadar. A bigger threat to WW is if she is de-powered in the DC cinematic universe. I would worry more about that than whether or not the actress they cast will eventually look like WW. There are amazing things they can do with technology...

By the way, I am still reading all over the place that fans are expecting WW to be a big part of this upcoming movie. These people are going to riot if she is not and they only introduce her and save her for future movies.

More
06 Dec 2013 16:31 #34603 by shadar
Some things, in any culture, simply have their time. And movies are a key part of Western culture now. Maybe this is just WW's time.

After reading some recent comments made by Zack Snyder, I am less concerned on the depower today. He claims she's the most powerful female in all of comicdom. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it's encouraging. I really hope she's portrayed as Superman's equal in most ways, and an alien to our Earth in her own way. Make Paradise Island part of a pocket dimension or whatever and stress the current comicdom concept that she's the daughter of Zeus and a full goddess.

If the ancient Nordic Gods can exist via Thor, Loki and Sif in the Avengers franchise, their Greek equivalents can exist in another plane or dimension in DC's Justice League franchise.

That solves all the messy origins issues. She's come from another plain of existence to help us combat some great evil, along with Superman and Batman. For my money, I'd develop Braniac and a mechanized, machine civilization as the enduring bad guy. You can then fold in concepts that were developed in the Terminator, Battlestar Galactia and the original MOS portrayal of Krypton as a sentient and lethal enemy that wants to end all biological life. The future of intelligent life hangs in the balance -- will it be biological or machine? That should be enough to draw together biological mankind and its heroes into a grand alliance to defeat the mechanized evil.

It also makes it easy to do awesome CGI with fantastic and deadly machines. And we already know that Zach Snyder loves to go there.

Shadar

jdrock24 wrote: You are right shadar. A bigger threat to WW is if she is de-powered in the DC cinematic universe. I would worry more about that than whether or not the actress they cast will eventually look like WW. There are amazing things they can do with technology...

By the way, I am still reading all over the place that fans are expecting WW to be a big part of this upcoming movie. These people are going to riot if she is not and they only introduce her and save her for future movies.

• shadar
  • Away
More
06 Dec 2013 17:17 #34604 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
I haven't really followed this, but I know the track record for comic book movies hasn't been good. Even in the DARK KNIGHT trilogy, the third movie was a letdown. I thought the first IRON MAN movie was cool, but the second was silly and I didn't watch any after that (Same with the J.J. Abrams school of sf movies and TV). I think a good WW movie COULD be made, even if her powers were limited (For that matter, remember Emma Peel, who didn't have any powers at all but plenty of charm and confidence? Black Widow is in the same vein). But I'm not holding my breath.

More
06 Dec 2013 19:48 #34605 by shadar
A year ago, I would have agreed. But based on the huge response that the announcement of WW in MOS2 has generated, I think it's time for a "female Superman". WW is the only comics character with the chops to pull that off, and I think the moviegoing public is finally ready.

Heck, even Peter Jackson is going to have a female hero/warrior in Hobbit 2, with marginally super powered skills, and he's also pushing Galadrial closer to being a super being. Kate Blachette has the chops for that. If he's doing that to old Professor Tolkein's material, then the world is ready.

As far as JJ Adams goes, we are on the same page, but that's probably because we've been around long enough to know it can be done much better. Thankfully, he's not involved in this franchise. And while I'm not overly enamored with Zack Snyder, I did like MOS. Even more when I could study it on Bluray. It has grown on me.

Shadar

brantley wrote: I haven't really followed this, but I know the track record for comic book movies hasn't been good. Even in the DARK KNIGHT trilogy, the third movie was a letdown. I thought the first IRON MAN movie was cool, but the second was silly and I didn't watch any after that (Same with the J.J. Abrams school of sf movies and TV). I think a good WW movie COULD be made, even if her powers were limited (For that matter, remember Emma Peel, who didn't have any powers at all but plenty of charm and confidence? Black Widow is in the same vein). But I'm not holding my breath.

• shadar
  • Away
More
07 Dec 2013 05:26 #34606 by fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Dec 2013 11:23 #34607 by Woodclaw

shadar wrote: Heck, even Peter Jackson is going to have a female hero/warrior in Hobbit 2, with marginally super powered skills, and he's also pushing Galadrial closer to being a super being. Kate Blachette has the chops for that. If he's doing that to old Professor Tolkein's material, then the world is ready.

I might be wrong here (since I haven't read Tolkien in quite a while) but I believe that the professor's reputation of misoginy isn't completly true. While the female figures in his work are rather scarce, they're generally quite powerful and memorable in their own way. Also, keep in mind that he was still a child of old style Victorian gentry, so he had a rather conservative view in many ways.
On the subject of Galadriel, while she wasn't an active part in "The Lord of the Rings", in another part of Tolkien's works - "Simarillion" I believe - it was stated that ages ago (she's 10,000 or so) she was a warrior too and she kicked royal amounts of ass.

More
07 Dec 2013 16:01 - 07 Dec 2013 16:02 #34608 by Artnico
Replied by Artnico on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
Forgiveness for those who are on this thread for some time, but I just come here and saw this subject.

First, I think it's a very good news to know there will be finally WONDER WOMAN in a movie. :) :) :)

But what a bad news to see that it'll be Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. She's too skinny !!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Certainly, Lynda Carter was not very big, but she had a woman breast at least !

So Gal Gadot will have to workout very hard for the role, and eat some meat if she wants to have our favourite Amazone's sexy body.

History repeats itself in Hollywood. No chance for admirers of super strong women, always disappointments...

Sif would be better for the role !
Last edit: 07 Dec 2013 16:02 by Artnico. Reason: false

More
07 Dec 2013 18:14 #34610 by shadar
I agree that Tolkein has Never been misogonist. His problem is that he had no idea how to involve women in the action of his stories. That was a reflection of his life and upbringing in Victorian England. Yet without Galadrial's protection and gifts, Frodo and Sam would have perished many times over. The elven rope saved them, the lamda bread fed them and the elven cloaks hid them. Let alone the vial of light that was the only thing to save Frodo from Shelab. Her oblique warning to Frodo after she read Boromir's heart probably also saved the ring. So she was pivotal, just not in the action.

But Tolkein never envisioned any action for females. Jackson's change to have his daughter Arwen rescue Frodo in FOTR (instead of having his son do it as in the books) and carrying him to Rivendell was an attempt to correct that failing. But it appears Jackson is amping that up in Hobbit 2 with the premier warrior for good being a female elf with superhuman athletic and combat skills. And Galadiral has now promised to come to Gandalf's aid if he ever calls her. She now appears to be able to teleport herself.

To get back on topic, I see this as a recognition by Jackson that the audience wants to see more female characters with superhuman powers. So much so that his females might become the mightest (but not the most important or heroic) characters in the Hobbit. If I'm reading this right, and if Jackson is reading his audience right, then its good news for other movie portrayals, like WW. A recognition that very powerful female characters are ready for prime time.

On the other hand, Peter claims he makes movies for himself and doesn't cater to his audience or cultural trends. Maybe he thinks a bit like us. Or maybe I'm turning an errant strand of silk into a silk gown. (<grin>)

Shadar

Anon wrote:

shadar wrote: Heck, even Peter Jackson is going to have a female hero/warrior in Hobbit 2, with marginally super powered skills, and he's also pushing Galadrial closer to being a super being. Kate Blachette has the chops for that. If he's doing that to old Professor Tolkein's material, then the world is ready.

I might be wrong here (since I haven't read Tolkien in quite a while) but I believe that the professor's reputation of misoginy isn't completly true. While the female figures in his work are rather scarce, they're generally quite powerful and memorable in their own way. Also, keep in mind that he was still a child of old style Victorian gentry, so he had a rather conservative view in many ways.
On the subject of Galadriel, while she wasn't an active part in "The Lord of the Rings", in another part of Tolkien's works - "Simarillion" I believe - it was stated that ages ago (she's 10,000 or so) she was a warrior too and she kicked royal amounts of ass.

• shadar
  • Away
More
08 Dec 2013 05:02 #34614 by arvin sloane
Replied by arvin sloane on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
Awfull choice, even worst than ben aflleck IMHO... and it´s not the fact that she is skinny or has zero definition on her body, they can kinda change that. the fact is that she doesn´t have the perfect beauty we want for WW. I mean, she´s like a godess. I was expecting some new actress as beautifull as, say, Jennifer Connelly, Linda Carter herself, or the uber babe Megan Fox. You know, that ultra-gourgeous face... not this girl next doormexican soap opera actress :angry:

"If you threaten our son again, I'll put my heel through your skull"

More
08 Dec 2013 06:21 #34615 by shadar

arvin sloane wrote: ... not this girl next door mexican soap opera actress :angry:

You do know she's a former Miss Israel? Last I checked, there weren't a lot of Mexicans living there.

She races a Ducati Monster-S2R bike, and she plays on volleyball, soccer and tennis teams. She's a former
Israeli soldier. She does her own stunts in the movies. She's also been a covergirl on Maxim (twice), Cosmopolitan,
Bride Magazine, FHM.

She might not be our first choice for WW due to her overly-slender physique, but you are underselling her by a lot. She's
a very interesting lady, and hardly a wallflower. I'm betting she'll look the part by the time the filming is done.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
08 Dec 2013 08:45 #34616 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
Considering how niche our interest is, we are some of the pickiest people I've ever met
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Camille Jones

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
08 Dec 2013 09:37 #34617 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
There is no one girl on this planet which we would unanimously agree is the right pick for wonder woman. I'm sure she's gonna train like crazy for the role, and the final product - whether it be special fx or by some other means will be something we'll be okay with.

What amazes me, is that WE complain so much about WW when she's in production and whine when she's not. Give this director a chance and judge the final product

More
08 Dec 2013 10:02 #34618 by Woodclaw

arvin sloane wrote: Awfull choice, even worst than ben aflleck IMHO... and it´s not the fact that she is skinny or has zero definition on her body, they can kinda change that. the fact is that she doesn´t have the perfect beauty we want for WW. I mean, she´s like a godess. I was expecting some new actress as beautifull as, say, Jennifer Connelly, Linda Carter herself, or the uber babe Megan Fox. You know, that ultra-gourgeous face... not this girl next doormexican soap opera actress

First of all, I think that defining a face beautiful is mostly a matter of personal tastes. WW is supposed to be incredibly beautiful, but how this beauty manifest is up to debate for me. A girl-next-dor kind of look might work even better than a unreachable goddess look, if they want the character to look empatic and friendly (as she's supposed to be).

shadar wrote: You do know she's a former Miss Israel? Last I checked, there weren't a lot of Mexicans living there.

She races a Ducati Monster-S2R bike, and she plays on volleyball, soccer and tennis teams. She's a former
Israeli soldier. She does her own stunts in the movies. She's also been a covergirl on Maxim (twice), Cosmopolitan,
Bride Magazine, FHM.

She might not be our first choice for WW due to her overly-slender physique, but you are underselling her by a lot. She's
a very interesting lady, and hardly a wallflower. I'm betting she'll look the part by the time the filming is done.

Shadar

Okay color me impressed. While she might not look the part, I think that - with such a resume - there might be a lot more of WW in this lady than we thought.

d_k_c wrote: There is no one girl on this planet which we would unanimously agree is the right pick for wonder woman. I'm sure she's gonna train like crazy for the role, and the final product - whether it be special fx or by some other means will be something we'll be okay with.

What amazes me, is that WE complain so much about WW when she's in production and whine when she's not. Give this director a chance and judge the final product

I think this is one of the smartest observations I've read - although in DKC's usual vitriolic style. While the casting choice might look wrong, some of us are ditching her "just because". While other choices might be plenty wrong (Affleck as Batman ... sorry but after Daredevil I have little faith in his abilit to portray a superhero) this is actually more of a leap of faith. Ms Gadot might not look the part, but she might be able to act the part.

More
08 Dec 2013 10:40 #34619 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Ironman, Captain America are all strong characters introduced in their own stand alone movies.
Even second tier heroes like Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Blade were also given the premiere treatment.
Burying Wonder Woman in the next Man of Steel movie, which already has powerhouse franchise character Batman in it proves to me the producers have NO faith in the character.
We should be worried.

More
08 Dec 2013 13:50 #34621 by shadar
I agree that we should always be worried about what Hollywood does with superheroines, given their track record is so awful. But that doesn't mean they'll always get it wrong. MOS2 might or might not suck. Launching WW into feature live-action films via MOS2 could be a disaster or it could be brilliant, depending on what they do and what follows. We don't even know the release date of MOS2 yet (smart money says summer of 2015), but it could also be 2016. So.... 1.5 to 2.5 years from now. That says that a WW feature film is 2.5 to 4.5 years away, assuming they don't continue down the Justice League route and keep the mighty trinity together, which I'm guessing is the current direction.

That's a long time. It's way too long to whine and flagellate myself and others. I'm an optimist by nature, so I'm going to be hopeful until we see clearer evidence of unfixable suckism on the part of WB, Zack Snyder, etc. And if by some miracle MOS2 does work and makes good money, then you can bet that the trinity with these actors will get a much longer run in Justice League before they do any more solo films. All we can do as fans is to build a ton of support and anticipation behind WW, and to encourage the studio to see the value in putting a decent WW on screen. We might be able to influence whether she gets 5 minutes of screen time in MOS2, or 30 minutes or even an hour.

One thing is clear to me, and that's that David Goyer, who is going to be writing MOS2, knows about comics and these characters. So if you thought the writing on MOS sucked, then MOS2 is probably really going to suck for you. I personally liked the writing on MOS (but wasn't so thrilled with the direction or Henry Cavill's acting), so I see some reason for optimism that we'll at least get a story that respects WW. Unlike David E Kelley, who wrote that awful WW TV pilot, I think Goyer gets the characters.

Shadar

Markiehoe wrote: Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Ironman, Captain America are all strong characters introduced in their own stand alone movies.
Even second tier heroes like Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Blade were also given the premiere treatment.
Burying Wonder Woman in the next Man of Steel movie, which already has powerhouse franchise character Batman in it proves to me the producers have NO faith in the character.
We should be worried.

• shadar
  • Away
More
15 Dec 2013 14:39 #34695 by j2001
Replied by j2001 on topic And Wonder Woman will be played by...
Kelly Thompson ("The Girl Who Would Be King")'s opinion on the matter: goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/1...m-with-wonder-woman/

More
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds