Amount

First Lucy Clip

12 Jul 2014 06:01 #37284 by crazyfck
Replied by crazyfck on topic First Lucy Clip

smoki07 wrote: Crazyfck is alive. ALIVE!!!!! lol Seriously, where have you been? No more update of stories, no new ones on this site or others. I thought you left community!

hey, yes, I'm alive

I'm about to make a compendium of my stories, probably to publish on amazonlove forum, since they're more FMG oriented than superpowered ladies. Maybe one or another is publishable here.

I'm still writing, but I'm not liking the new ones. Some good ideas, but they are all places that I went before. So I'm deciding to re-visit the ones I wrote before, and... for fucks grammar sake... past and present tenses mixed up, completely wrong words, so I'm fixing it now, and it will take a while to re-publish them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2014 02:20 #37293 by enchantederotica
Replied by enchantederotica on topic First Lucy Clip
Not going to lie, this movie is ruining a lot of my personal fantasies. Let me get on my soap box for a moment.

For those that don’t know, I write stories about “omnipotent” women in our society. (I use quotes because they are not truly omnipotent. They cannot create permanent things or time travel... which helps with my story lines, but they can do pretty much anything: fly, teleport, heal, create temporary things, mind control, morphing, phasing, and so on and so on.) Clearly in the trailer, Lucy has super-strength, can morph, control time, has telepathic abilities on some level (tatco-telepathy it seems), and eventually telekinetic powers. Also based on the trailers, I anticipate a lot more telekinesis, flying, telepathy, and most likely teleportation and invincibility... ultimately true immortality. While obviously I have not seen the movie, my issue is mainly with the apparent motivation of Lucy: revenge. If someone who is apparently on their way to some kind of “god like” state, revenge would seem like such a pointless ‘mortal’ need. Watchmen took the correct approach with a human dealing with omnipotence. Dr. Manhattan became detached from humanity, or mainly the need to fight crime. Lucy seems to be on the warpath to kill those who inadvertently gave her god-like powers. Why? She should send them a thank you card and go fly up into the cosmos to rule the universe.

(Also.... a drug that turns you into a god? Blech. Too much ‘science’ for my kind of science fiction.)

In my stories, my characters who become as powerful as Lucy seems to be becoming become more like ghosts: living in the shadows and watching mankind. Take my character Hannah for example: a dorky, nerd girl who woke up one morning and realized anything she thought became reality. (I skip over the science and the “how” and get right to the fun.) Hannah decided to then split her life in two: one everyone knew her as and one who was a world famous, mega-hot supermodel who the world loved. Hannah had never been admired or desired before her omnipotence, so she decides to live a life she wanted, living out her fantasies and living in pure bliss. As time goes on, she does debate as to whether to embrace her powers and become God or hide her powers and live as “one of us”. Thus: The Plot. Yet while Lucy seems to have lost many of her emotions (except for revenge and hate... go figure), I think it would be more expected for someone like Lucy to simply escape, disappear, and live out her life as she wanted it to be thanks to her powers.

Who knows ... maybe that is how the movie ends ... Lucy faking her own death so she can ‘become’ someone else. That seems more “logical”: abuse her powers to find a perfect husband and have kids (who may have powers too) ... or fly up into outer space as her powers push her to such a level that she is actually omnipotent and can no longer relate to us mortals.

On a side note, let me go on record as saying that I do not think of immortality is not a curse (as yes, many of my characters are immortal). They play it out in movies as “I want to die with my loved ones”, but people heal, get over loss, and move on.

I love superpowered girls, but this is not sexy to me. It is twisting my ideal characters like Hannah; girls blessed with superpowers and enjoy using their powers in peaceful, luxurious, romantic, and very sexy ways. Lucy is clearly psychotic and her powers turn her into some kind of cruel, sociopathic robot.

(But come on... a drug that turns you into a god? At least go for something with a bit more fantasy involved because I can’t buy that.)

Supernautral women with superpowered sex-drives: www.enchantederotica.com

• enchantederotica
More
13 Jul 2014 06:42 - 15 Jul 2014 00:00 #37294 by castor
Replied by castor on topic First Lucy Clip

enchantederotica wrote: N

I love superpowered girls, but this is not sexy to me. It is twisting my ideal characters like Hannah; girls blessed with superpowers and enjoy using their powers in peaceful, luxurious, romantic, and very sexy ways. Lucy is clearly psychotic and her powers turn her into some kind of cruel, sociopathic robot.

(But come on... a drug that turns you into a god? At least go for something with a bit more fantasy involved because I can’t buy that.)

The movie i come back to is one i just watched a couple of weeks ago :Her

-which hey had the same Actress, doing a not disimmilar concept about a being who spoilers. its a computer obviously-but it works:

Warning: Spoiler!

And the Drug stuff-yeah thats okay. Drugs "Expanding your mind" is a metaphor thats existed for decades that...yeah i don'tagree with but yeah its around.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 00:00 by castor.

More
13 Jul 2014 18:24 #37295 by fats
Replied by fats on topic First Lucy Clip
here is a new trailer

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, Raa, jyache

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 Jul 2014 22:35 #37307 by smoki07
Replied by smoki07 on topic First Lucy Clip

crazyfck wrote:

smoki07 wrote: Crazyfck is alive. ALIVE!!!!! lol Seriously, where have you been? No more update of stories, no new ones on this site or others. I thought you left community!

hey, yes, I'm alive

I'm about to make a compendium of my stories, probably to publish on amazonlove forum, since they're more FMG oriented than superpowered ladies. Maybe one or another is publishable here.

I'm still writing, but I'm not liking the new ones. Some good ideas, but they are all places that I went before. So I'm deciding to re-visit the ones I wrote before, and... for fucks grammar sake... past and present tenses mixed up, completely wrong words, so I'm fixing it now, and it will take a while to re-publish them.

Ok... Sorry, My understand of english is not good than yours.So if I understood well, your plan is re-writing your old stories, improve them then re-publish them!! Right?

More
15 Jul 2014 19:45 #37317 by Sarge395
Replied by Sarge395 on topic First Lucy Clip
I don't think there will be any flying. She seems to be able to use telekinesis and levitates early on in the clip when she is chained and floating at the ceiling.

If she flies I will jump for joy. This is on my BUY list when it comes out on blu-ray.

• Sarge395
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
25 Jul 2014 11:53 #37459 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic First Lucy Clip
Well, the movie arrived today. Rolling Stone ran an interview with Luc Besson about it:

www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/brain-s...ins-of-lucy-20140723

And here's how The New York Times weighed in on the movie itself:

www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/movies/scarle...16lucy8217.html?_r=0

--Brantley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
26 Jul 2014 08:02 #37484 by DarinSatre
Replied by DarinSatre on topic First Lucy Clip
I saw it - just got back, actually.

It was... about what I expected really. So at least I can't say I'm disappointed, because it hit my expectations. They were just really low expectations.

Also, based on what I just saw, it's not going to do well at all. Granted it was just the one showing, but a Friday night movie premiere and there were less than 10 people in the theater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SHTL

More
26 Jul 2014 11:39 - 26 Jul 2014 11:42 #37486 by brantley

DarinSatre wrote: I saw it - just got back, actually.

It was... about what I expected really. So at least I can't say I'm disappointed, because it hit my expectations. They were just really low expectations.

Also, based on what I just saw, it's not going to do well at all. Granted it was just the one showing, but a Friday night movie premiere and there were less than 10 people in the theater.

From what I'd read, it already definitely looked missable. The following is part of a site update to be formally announced tomorrow:

www.brightempire.com/Lucy.htm

--Brantley
Last edit: 26 Jul 2014 11:42 by brantley.

More
26 Jul 2014 20:01 #37494 by steelknight3000
Replied by steelknight3000 on topic First Lucy Clip

DarinSatre wrote: I saw it - just got back, actually.

So I gather there wasn't anything super-strength related? All psychic stuff?

More
26 Jul 2014 22:33 #37499 by DarinSatre
Replied by DarinSatre on topic First Lucy Clip

steelknight3000 wrote:
So I gather there wasn't anything super-strength related? All psychic stuff?

Correct. She rarely does anything with her powers at all, frankly, but when she does they're all telekinetic.

More
26 Jul 2014 22:42 #37500 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic First Lucy Clip
I just saw this with a friend. It met my low expectations is a good description of the movie.

No super-strength. Not too many uses of super-powers. And when there are they are all TK based, a few of telepathy.

She did have some of the advanced mental tricks: Pain is just input to be processed. It doesn't stop her or affect her. And she did get a bit less concerned with people. But they tried to show that she still cared, or wanted to care.

And they laid on the % of her brain she used continuously. I wanted to ignore it, so that I could just sit back and enjoy the movie, and take it for the given to watch the movie (Oh, being bitten by a radioactive spider doesn't kill you, it gives you super powers...ok, with things flowing logically from there). But it was constantly in the movie. Still, any super powers falls into this "makes no sense" category, so I just let it happen.

The cabbie she shot in the trailer -- I think that scene must have tested bad, as it seems a dubbed (in Chinese, with sub-tiles, one of the ONLY times they subtitle Chinese) is "My leg!", implying she just shot him in the leg, and not killed him. Seemed tacked on.

And I'm wondering why no one else got more samples and took them....I kept expecting the Chinese guys chasing her to exhibit some powers too.

More
27 Jul 2014 21:02 #37518 by castor
Well as yahoo put it, using terminology that i normally wouldn't use but-

" ROCKS HERCULES OUTMUSCLED IN DEBUT BY WOMAN"

-Scarlett Johansson's ‘Lucy’ Hammers ‘Hercules’ and the Rock at Box Office........

Lucy made 44 Million in its openining US weekend as compared to The Legend of Hercules which did 29- despite featuring a proven action star doing a varation of a popular story and character(see for example-Legend of Hercules..i mean Herculea on this site). It also beat Planet of the Apes and Philip Seymor Hoffmans last movie "A most Wanted Man" which was in limited release.

Its already exceeded its production budget by about 15 million and beat its anylyized prediction by about that. Which working in the industry doesn't mean its actually profitable, but probably will be. This doesn't include foreign returns for whats technically a French Movie.

Lucy was the highest debut weekend for Ms. Johansson, and the highest debuting R rated action movie for a female.

So what does this mean as arm chair anylsis? In the female power sence i am not sure much-this made a lot of buzz online of "Well thats dumb" and "10% of your brain thats stupid scientology claptrap" . But well it was dumb all the way to the bank.

But in the end as i have said before- You have a powerful female heroine- A psychotic vaguely human monster by the end, but Powerful heroine and it had a larger audience then a godlike Powerful Man. A powerful man who has one of the oldest most popular stories of all time, Compared to Lucy which is one of the fairly rare original stories in Hollywood.

Female Lead action Movies partciuarly R rated ones often portray there leads as either villians or victims. This did neither making a character who is for practical purposes kind of a superhero. And well...it did pretty good.

Going forward I am going to bet if they can do this that Scarlett Johannson is going to get that a "Black Widow" movie if they can fit in there schedule. As a star she can clearly do it. Whether this leads to more superwoman movies-who knows? The answer is yes it should, but who knows.

I will comment also that they did all of this on a budget that's not as the expression goes "Craft Services" on a bigger film, but isn't the biggest ever. But they showed that you can make money with an original idea with clever use of its special effects and a strong powerful female in its lead.

More
27 Jul 2014 22:59 #37520 by crazyfck
Replied by crazyfck on topic First Lucy Clip
Scarlett Johansson is my favorite movie star, if I ever had any

The movie is dumb and short (too short to develop any plot... I wonder what were the deleted scenes or sequences, the movie feels a bit unsatisfying, rushed)
but the dialogues were smart, this is a dumb movie made by smart people...
All men, with the exception of the villain (great villain btw), are utterly pathetic in this movie, especially Morgan Freeman (called Dr Norman!). Is it the first movie he plays a dummy? It was indeed a female power fantasy

and Johansson did it with confidence, effortlessly, which by the way, was very close of her clueless alien in Under the Skin (a masterpiece, if you ask me, but then I find Man of Steel a good Superman movie....)

the success of this movie is a big surprise. female power is on the rise in entertainment and I think that this wave started with Twilight. We had a female Thor last week, on the internet most people are complaining that the Wonder Woman is not buff enough... now Lucy beats Hercules. That's a change in demographics or people got bored of the old big male hero stereotype? Or maybe gender doesn't matter as much as people think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, castor

More
28 Jul 2014 00:14 - 28 Jul 2014 00:19 #37522 by castor

crazyfck wrote:
the success of this movie is a big surprise. female power is on the rise in entertainment and I think that this wave started with Twilight. We had a female Thor last week, on the internet most people are complaining that the Wonder Woman is not buff enough... now Lucy beats Hercules. That's a change in demographics or people got bored of the old big male hero stereotype? Or maybe gender doesn't matter as much as people think?

One fact i left out-was Well 50/50 percent of the audience for the movie was women.

I think one yeah Men are a little more confterable with it we exist in a generation where sexism in the sence of men and women not being equa is pretty much gone-while 10 15 years ago people would be threatened by this-here not so much .

Also but there is one sexism left(well more then one but)--Women do go to movies. And if you can get women to come out-even to an R rated action movie--well you got something. Women want to fantasize about being Scarlet Kicking ass as much as men do with Stalone.You give that to them, they can drag there husbands to watch one of the most bueatiful women in the world wear skimpy clothing and....
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 00:19 by castor.

More
28 Jul 2014 14:01 #37528 by AJF
Replied by AJF on topic First Lucy Clip
Lucy outperformed Hercules at the BO this weekend. It's audience was about 50% female. It was the highest grossing female action film not a based on a YA novel in the last few years.

More
28 Jul 2014 20:58 #37534 by brantley
Here's a pan from Tor Books blog:

www.tor.com/blogs/2014/07/lucy-is-like-a...-get-drunk-and-fight

--Brantley

More
28 Jul 2014 21:01 #37535 by brantley

AJF wrote: Lucy outperformed Hercules at the BO this weekend. It's audience was about 50% female. It was the highest grossing female action film not a based on a YA novel in the last few years.

Yet it doesn't sound like a "chick flick," either. Have any other non-YA action movies (with or without "Deep Thoughts") been popular with women?

--Brantley

More
28 Jul 2014 21:33 - 28 Jul 2014 21:40 #37536 by castor
Define popular.

Most Superhero movies do about 40-45 of there business from Women audiences. Similar numbers for different action genres, though there is a bit of a drop off for most R rated movies. Its however rare for a movie that makes over a 100 million not to do at least 40% of there business from Women-they make up more of the theater going public(53%), and it shows a bit of disproportion in audiences if they are really skewed one way or there other. Women lead action movies-your Resident Evils, Your Descendents etc, tend to do better with women, but its not super dramatic.

Even Horror movies do more business then you might think from women. They like stuff.

This based on stats for US and Canada- i suspect its diffrent in diffrent parts of the world-one of the big trends in movies is that Traditional Romantic Comedies and Rommances are dying becuse while they do good to big business in america, not so much in other parts of the world - same 40 years ago with musicals. However i thinks its there in part.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 21:40 by castor.

More
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds