Amount

Wonder Woman Director leaves project

21 Apr 2015 20:00 #41619 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Wonder Woman Director leaves project
To bring it back to the topic...one of the big problem with Man of Steel....was it was trying to be an epic-

A story of a man from birth to his destiny, it tells a long drawn out tale of how he got there-and i do mostly think the actual points on the story are good(i do think the stuff on krypton is some of the best stuff visually in the movie, but i think it actually hurts what i think the plot is that there is some ambiguity about Zod). The tone is dark but works-the special effects are great as is the designs and i think the ending does kind of work for the story. There is a lot to like in it.

The problem is the one of a lot of epics. You don't really connect much with the Hero. hes a man on a journey of constant emotional pain, with barely a respite along the way. I am not necessairly going to blaim Cavil For it, as hes trying and in a couple of scenes sucseeds at trying to find a spot for his Superman from Suffering to Smug. He often seems lost in a movie that takes a long to get places, has a lot to many characters around him that go from good ( I like Russel Crowe Faora is great as been said, and i liked the Scientist) to Mediocre(Amy Adams, Kevin Costner) to bad(micheal Shannon, Laurence Fisburne) At times he eems ljust lost- which means the movie is just a series of special effects and nature shots.

The movie is also far to long like most epics, and while it tries to sprinkle action through out the movie, with a lot of degressions it feels kind of borring. The Flashbacks always slowed it down, and until you get into Zod Ship it feels very go through the motions.

Marvel Movies have pacing problems as well. The Iron Man movies tend to have "not much happens in the second act as Tony Sulks" issues. Gaurdians Starts and Slows a lot...However they often feel a lot faster and brisker, and don't overwealm there welcomes as much as Man of Steel. They also know how to have fun, which helps a lot..

Yet i do like the ideas. I have come to realize in the last year i have come to the position of defending the movie a lot online, which i guess sometimes.

Which goes back to wonder woman. Gal Gadot isn't a bad actress-shes good at looking and taking in a room-however well in a huge movie around her...she just might well get lost. But if they find her something where she can take charge, figure out how to make it so it work-maybe the ideas will work for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 20:24 - 21 Apr 2015 20:25 #41621 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Wonder Woman Director leaves project
I really hated Civil War as a story. I mean the idea of it is fine, but the execution was horrid. And even the idea has some problems ... since I know that they're just going to forget it all later, and a lot of that is just unrealistic.

Might play better in a movie.

Nothing wrong with Gloom, or DC taking their own tactics, honest. Just that Fun builds more good will -and- people are more forgiving. i'm happy DC is doing their own thing, and also making shows with a lot of different styles. I dislike people that hate something jsut because it's "the other team". (Marvel or DC? I anwswer: Yes.)

I suspect that you'll have a few poeple complaining about Civil War. I'm sorta doing it now, though mostly I'm wondering if like in DC Animation, they'll fix up the story line and improve it so it doesn't seem so hacky.

It's also strange as gloom/darkness/mistrust has been a steadfast part of the MCU from the beginning. Spider-Man and the X-men are hated. The government builds robots to hunt down and kill mutants. Factions have been in SHIELD for a LOOOOONG time. (Famously in the John Byrne She-Hulk Graphic Novel, but even older than that). Some of SHIELD has always been corrupted, and parts of the government have always been dark.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2015 20:25 by TwiceOnThursdays.

More
21 Apr 2015 23:01 #41626 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Wonder Woman Director leaves project
Another thought on MOS...

Most Superman stories are human stories. They certainly are about Earth.

MOS was interesting to me because it was almost totally a Kryptonian story. Sure, a lot of it took place on Earth, but only because the problems of Krypton's destruction followed Kal El to Earth. Kal held the future of the Kryptonian race in his head.

In the end, he had to choose between Earth and Krypton, or at least the Kryptonian race. Given he was raised here, he chose us.

(Kara, on the other hand, would likely have chosen the Kryptonian race. Given she was raised on Krypton, she thinks like one. Something to think about. And in the MOS universe, she was originally a pilot of a ship that was carrying the ability to create Khryptonians on a distant world. Based on the pre-comic book. The same thing that's in Kal's head.)

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds