Amount

Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

25 Mar 2016 04:22 #46947 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
Re-read my not-short review.

Thought about it for a bit.

And I am going to call the shot with "the editing in this movie was probably the problem." That said, I'm not really a movie/film geek, so take that with a "he doesn't know boo". Still, feel sorta right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 14:16 #46955 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I agree a bit with you about the editing. I remember one particular time where, in the first half of the movie, a scene happened and I leaned over to my friend in the seat next to me and said "What the heck just happened?" This coming from me, a guy who has read a multitude of comic books over the years, both Marvel and DC and am pretty well versed in both.

However, I will disagree with you on Luthor. I thought he was very well played. I didn't need to be told he was a megalomaniac to know he was a megalomaniac and couldn't stand someone having more power than him. The Senate hearing scene and the rooftop scene brought his evilness home for me.
Warning: Spoiler!

I definitely have to see it again to catch some of the things I might have missed. This time I'm taking the wife and kids although I'm a bit concerned if the kids (ages 7 and 10) will be able to sit through it...

• jdrock24
  • jdrock24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
27 Mar 2016 02:30 #46993 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
When i first saw Man of Steel i didn't really like it. Its to long by probabbly a half, Henry Cavil is a good actor(i do recomend Man from UNCLE where hes great) but he seems lost at times,the third act battle feels a bit like an incoherent mess at times...

But its a movie with good qualities-it does have thoughts about responsiblty what you can and can't do, living as an outsider. It has a lot of good suporting performances Faora is well done, the special effects are great, and at times it is quite a buietifl lyrical movie that feels like the world is at stake by showing it. Some of its suposed flaws i think are strengths-i do think the Zod fight made sence and i like how they made a momment out of his death something a lot of superhero movies(including a lot of marvel movies) really gloss over. So as i have gone..i have kinda softened on it. I think i do kinda like it now.

However one big problem remains storywise. Krypton. The movies opening act on Krypton is bueatiful, dynamic and some of the best special effects in movies. It tells it story well and creates compelling factions and ideas... and is superflucious to plot. For the story the rest of the movie tells, it goes agianst it. The movies stakes are dependent on Superman at least for a minute consider Zod as someone he can work with to join as he is so alienated from it...and without that momment the movie fails.

Cut to B vs S...which is in a lot of ways a better movie. Synder or his writers did listen to the complaints and made them part of the story. You get a compelling movie that never for a second bored me. and after watching the trailers, still suprised me. The action was always followable, the htird act made sence as did every thing else, and while i do hear complaints of some of the relationships where a little hard to follow(We got a good sence of why Batman hated superman-not a perfect sence of why Superman hated batman) i think it generally flowed well. i think i would have liked a momment early on where Superman was an unambious hero, but i can live with it.

The performances where good. Cavil had grown into the role abit, Laurence Fishbourne had more to do, and Amy Adams if at times she was lit a little unflatering(one thing the movie does not improve on is overall cinemtography which was at times hit) did seem very human in a way that you can see the rommance. Ben Affleck was a good a batman as we have seen, and i liked how kinda of played Bruce Wayne as more or less the same guy just a little less focus. Jermey irons was a great Alfred and liked his areobic with at all points that didn't just seem batting of Affleck,. Holly Hunter had a good performance in a small part that went places that well you wouldn't expect and i thought Jesse Eisenberg was a great Lex luthor, maybe the best in the movies so far, a perfect blend of Smarm Millenial millionare, and Evil Genuis. .

And there are ideas in ths movie. at the risk of making a political comment a facebook friend pointed out "This is a movie about a Billionare getting really mad at an illegal immagrant"....and while he thought it was a joke, i do think that thought is intentional, though after spending 2 years talking about this on the forrum, the specifics not so much. And that is something. This more then the last is about facing the consiquences of actions and dealing with ones moral compass..and it does think about it..and that if nothing else gives the movie a good pass for me.

But well to the title of the thread-remember how i mentioned Krpyton.

But overall i do like it, and i am curious. Honestly for the first time ever i watched the trailer for Civil war before this movie-and that odesn't look nearly a good as movie as this one. i liked it. as mentioned in the spoiler some of it takes it away from Great to Very good..but thats where i am on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

More
27 Mar 2016 04:19 #46995 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

castor wrote: When i first saw Man of Steel i didn't really like it. Its to long by probabbly a half, Henry Cavil is a good actor(i do recomend Man from UNCLE where hes great) but he seems lost at times,the third act battle feels a bit like an incoherent mess at times...

But its a movie with good qualities-it does have thoughts about responsiblty what you can and can't do, living as an outsider. It has a lot of good suporting performances Faora is well done, the special effects are great, and at times it is quite a buietifl lyrical movie that feels like the world is at stake by showing it. Some of its suposed flaws i think are strengths-i do think the Zod fight made sence and i like how they made a momment out of his death something a lot of superhero movies(including a lot of marvel movies) really gloss over. So as i have gone..i have kinda softened on it. I think i do kinda like it now.

However one big problem remains storywise. Krypton. The movies opening act on Krypton is bueatiful, dynamic and some of the best special effects in movies. It tells it story well and creates compelling factions and ideas... and is superflucious to plot. For the story the rest of the movie tells, it goes agianst it. The movies stakes are dependent on Superman at least for a minute consider Zod as someone he can work with to join as he is so alienated from it...and without that momment the movie fails.

Cut to B vs S...which is in a lot of ways a better movie. Synder or his writers did listen to the complaints and made them part of the story. You get a compelling movie that never for a second bored me. and after watching the trailers, still suprised me. The action was always followable, the htird act made sence as did every thing else, and while i do hear complaints of some of the relationships where a little hard to follow(We got a good sence of why Batman hated superman-not a perfect sence of why Superman hated batman) i think it generally flowed well. i think i would have liked a momment early on where Superman was an unambious hero, but i can live with it.

The performances where good. Cavil had grown into the role abit, Laurence Fishbourne had more to do, and Amy Adams if at times she was lit a little unflatering(one thing the movie does not improve on is overall cinemtography which was at times hit) did seem very human in a way that you can see the rommance. Ben Affleck was a good a batman as we have seen, and i liked how kinda of played Bruce Wayne as more or less the same guy just a little less focus. Jermey irons was a great Alfred and liked his areobic with at all points that didn't just seem batting of Affleck,. Holly Hunter had a good performance in a small part that went places that well you wouldn't expect and i thought Jesse Eisenberg was a great Lex luthor, maybe the best in the movies so far, a perfect blend of Smarm Millenial millionare, and Evil Genuis. .

And there are ideas in ths movie. at the risk of making a political comment a facebook friend pointed out "This is a movie about a Billionare getting really mad at an illegal immagrant"....and while he thought it was a joke, i do think that thought is intentional, though after spending 2 years talking about this on the forrum, the specifics not so much. And that is something. This more then the last is about facing the consiquences of actions and dealing with ones moral compass..and it does think about it..and that if nothing else gives the movie a good pass for me.

But well to the title of the thread-remember how i mentioned Krpyton.

But overall i do like it, and i am curious. Honestly for the first time ever i watched the trailer for Civil war before this movie-and that odesn't look nearly a good as movie as this one. i liked it. as mentioned in the spoiler some of it takes it away from Great to Very good..but thats where i am on this.

Thanks for the well thought out review. I haven't seen B vs S yet, but based on your comments on Man of Steel (which resonate with me) and using that as a basis for judging your comments on B vs S, I'm looking forward to see it.

I also try to avoid getting hung up on little things and look at the meaning and larger message of a movie. Some movies don't have one (or its superficial), but it sounds like B vs S following MOS in having some substance to the message.

Interesting that the end of the movie seemed tacked on -- basically a prologue for WW and Justice League stories to come? Something a lot meatier than a trailer, but not an integral part of the narrative arc of the rest of the movie.

I suppose I'm going to have to take the hour or so trek in toward Seattle area to see it in a decent theater. The crappy theater in my rural area is vastly inferior to my own home theater.

I know this is a lot of personal preference, but is the 3D version worth the distractions? In a rare few movies, the 3D puts me in it, but in other movies it seems superfluous and just makes me dizzy. How well was B vs S done re: 3D?

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
27 Mar 2016 16:57 #47004 by castor
to respond to Shadars comment about the Justice Leauge stuff

As for 3D....you know honestly i went to the theater thats a little further away for me(granted i live in LA where there is a lot of theaters) to see it in 2D. Didn't want to bother with that. The movie has a lot of Backlighting and lightbloom which is kinda distracting i think in 3D.

More
27 Mar 2016 23:06 - 27 Mar 2016 23:12 #47013 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
WARNING: LONG POST WITH SPOILERS

I guess I'm gonna be the first, probably not the last, and perhaps not surprisingly, the one who say that I found Batman V Superman to be exactly what I thought it would be, but perhaps secretly wished it wouldn't be.

Simply put, the film is bad. Is it the worst film ever? No. Is it the worst comic book film ever? No. But it is bad.

Conclusion:

I could go on about this but I will stop there. Like I said in the opening, is it the worst film ever made? No. Is it the worst comic book film ever made? Nope.

But given the amount of money spent on it, and the supposed thought put into it, THIS is the best you could come up with? Again, DC (more specifically WB) miss the boat. What should have been built up naturally was rushed out in an attempt to grab some cash instead of making a good film.

The film is nothing more than establishing the Justice League/franchise films to come. Like I’ve said before, this is suits making comic book films. They looked at all the money Marvel is making and said “How can we get a piece of that pie as quick as possible?”

Batman V Superman is the answer.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 23:12 by kikass2014.

More
29 Mar 2016 18:08 #47045 by jdrock24
Wow, I couldn't disagree more kikass2014. From your posts over the past year, it sounds like you went into this movie expecting to hate it and that is exactly what happened.

Was the movie perfect? No. I thought it dragged a little in the first hour. Plus the bit of jarring scenes mentioned above. Even then, as a comic fan, I was enjoying the buildup to the fight(s).

Here is a video review from a guy who really got this movie (Warning, if you haven't seen it yet, it does contain spoilers):

I couldn't get the video to embed so you'll have to click the link. He went in expecting to hate it but ended up loving it.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Mar 2016 19:08 #47048 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I personally really enjoyed it! Best superhero movie? No, but definitely closer to my top 10 than bottom 10! Did it have flaws? Of course! Movies of this caliber often do when they try to squeeze too many characters and subplots in one movie (see Spiderman III, Avengers: AOU, for example). Why? Cause its what apparently the fans want! Bigger and Bolder! And then the fans are first to point out all the "fridge logic" and inconsistencies in it. I'm amazed anything gets made these days!

Kinda spoilery stuff here, so be warned.......

I think the movie kinda did take on a little too much, TBH. Because of that, pacing (as Kikass stated) tends to suffer at the hands of the writers who are trying to tell too much story as well as the hands of the editors which inevitably have to pare down the movie. That said, it wasn't all that bad I thought. There was certainly some rushed moments (creation of Doomsday and the "Martha" change of heart), but I thought certain elements were enough to overcome it.

I thought the fight scenes with Batman were amazingly choreographed, and his "killings" didn't bother me that much. He was intrinsically the same character, just a little more jaded (which was apparent). I thought Affleck was really good.

Likewise, I thought the handling of Doomsday was really good. CGI characters are often hit or miss, and I thought they did a good job with him.

Gal Gadot's lines were limited but she still won me over in the action scenes. She looked phenominal as a warrior in the battle with Doomsday. When she got splattered and got up and grinned like "now you're gonna get it" was a mini-iconic moment in the movie I thought.

Things I thought weren't all that great? Lex was annoying at times. I understand the whole "mad genius" take on the character which I didn't have a problem with, but I found myself wanting less "mad" and more "genius". Something else I didn't/don't like is the checmistry between Adams and Cavill as Supes and Lois. Cavill looks the part and Adams is an excellent actress in other stuff, but they seem to lose something together. I kinda thought the same in MOS but now it really hits me. I can't put my finger on it, but its something about them that doesn't resonate with me.

I found it kind funny that everyone made fun of MOS for all the collateral damage and bystanders killed. Then, it this movie, it was almost as if Snyder said "yeah? ok....fuck you!" and seemed to up the ante with even more razing of the cities.

I personally would prefer a lighter tone to the DCUniverse movies (like the Flash), but it's clear they are going the grittier route with Snyder at the helm. I'm not personally a big fan of his work, but I thought he did a decent enough job to keep his job and do the Justice League movie (though they haven't sought out my opinion)

Finally, I've been in several FB "discussions" on the box office numbers. If you wanna go see it, go see it. Don't let some crackpot theory -- which isn't even thought out --- of "declining Fri-Sun" numbers dissuade you. I'm glad I did!

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdrock24

More
29 Mar 2016 21:05 #47052 by jdrock24
This movie is way deeper than I thought at first. Here are a couple of more different takes on it:

www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/new...f-batman-v-superman/

www.vice.com/read/batman-v-superman-is-a...source=vicetwitterus

I'm going to see it a second time on Thursday. I'll have to watch it closer for more interesting things I might have missed the first time.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Mar 2016 11:13 - 30 Mar 2016 11:14 #47063 by kikass2014
@ JDRock

See this is not about “loving” or “hating”. It’s about “good film” or “bad film”.

I didn’t “hate” Batman V Superman, why would I? You clearly like it and that’s fair enough. I can like something you hate and it wouldn’t make it a good film.

Prime example, I LOVE Sucker Punch. Do I think it’s a great, thought-provoking piece of art? No. Do I think it’s the best storytelling since sliced bread? No. Do I think it’s a great film? No. It’s rubbish. It has many flaws. Doesn’t change how I feel about it.

And Batman V Superman is a bad film. It’s a bad film because nothing makes sense. Stuff just “happens”.

As a comic book fan, I would personally have preferred a BETTER Batman film, better Superman film, a MUCH BETTER take on the DC universe as a whole. But, like JD pointed out, I said this was going to bad from the beginning. If I was the only person, or the minority, fair enough. But it seems the majority are saying the same thing.

I’m sure we could go back and forth on this (as we have done over the past year :P) but I think we should just agree to disagree. :)

I won’t click the link to see some review, not because I don’t trust you (I’m 100% safe in clicking it should I want too), but because we could both find positive and negative reviews for it and it wouldn’t validate either argument.

Plus the, “You’re not smart enough to get it” – argument is used a lot. So I will add this. On this I am making my own decisions based on WHAT I SAW IN THE FILM.
Now to give credence to that last part, I just want to say a few things.

I will let all the points slide EXCEPT the story points I’ve made (of which I could write quite a few more of), and can be validated by watching the film.

I’ll give Batman killing, Snyder being a good director, etc.

But.

Please explain those plot holes. Or did I make them up? Because I’m pretty sure a) they are there; and b) I’m sure I’m not the only one who has made these (and other) observations.

Just thinking about it now, I will give a little SLIDE on the first one – Lex knowing Batman is Bruce Wayne and Superman is Clark Kent. One could assume that, since he was keeping tabs on WW, Flash, etc. that it is not inconceivable that he could have had a folder for Batman and Superman. /shrug

However. Feel free with the others.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 11:14 by kikass2014.

More
30 Mar 2016 15:51 #47072 by castor
Someone on Facebook posted this and its fair enough. MCU movies are all inductive. If before Iron Man you don't know who Tony Star is, thats perfectly fine. Its going to explain Gaurdians of the Galaxy and Thor, tell you about there characters why they are doing what they are doing, who the villian is and whats his thing etc. Yeah if you look in the background you ocasionally see like a hawkeye walking in the background or a name might be of someone a comics fan would know-but you knoow you would be fine. Or at least explain it the way movies do, cause they do becuse a lot of the shorthand for about 80% of there characters is "There a likable dick"

Now in BvS its Deductive. If you Don't know who Superman is you would be in trouble here-not just Man of Steel but in general. Becuse the movies entire plot more or less hinges on the fact in comics He is a Boyscout character a doogooder who rescuses kittens from trees and saves humanity thanklessly., and to a certain extent Kent things hes a good man for doing this. Lex Luthor is his mad scientist Villian enemy, Lois Lane Loves him etc.

Batman similary-it expects you to know a lot about his character, Wonder Woman her character,

The movies entire story is dependent on it, as its not so much that it throws it out the window , as it tweaks it, and changes the perspective of it. Superman thinks hes a good man, and for all the bitching and moaning in reviews is a good man. Hes a little stupider then in some versions of the story, but hes not a diffrent character if purely go by decades of existing superman comics. There is never a point in the story where he really does anything thats wrong or not helpful. and Agian he thinks hes a good man, and the movie honestly really doesn't spend that much time showing us. But .he World or some aspect of the world thinks hes not(), and Were in the world perceptinve(represented as it often is mostly by Batman), though i do like the various Media Personalities from Neil Degrass Tyson to Nancy Grace giving opinions). This tension is all over the movie, not batman vs superman, but 1 version of superman vs the other.

Which is kinda challenging as the movies plot really is about this tensions both for him and Batman(and one of the movies flaws to a certain extent is it doesn't do a good a job and Explaining the worlds opinon of Batman as its suposed to be a matching story, though i kinda get the sence by now Batman is old news). Is this oscar worthy Depth-no but it is kinda challenging which is rare in a 250 million dollar film, and actually pretty rare in anythg

That more then anything is something i will keep from the film-which is something.

More
30 Mar 2016 17:43 #47073 by jdrock24

kikass2014 wrote: Please explain those plot holes. Or did I make them up? Because I’m pretty sure a) they are there; and b) I’m sure I’m not the only one who has made these (and other) observations./K

Okay, here we go. I'll take these one at a time (Note: I guess I still should put Spoiler tags on this):

I don't mind agreeing to disagree. Motion pictures are a form of art and people see works of art differently all the time. However, when people who hate the movie point out insignificant things like this in order to convince themselves and others the movie is bad comes off sounding a bit agenda driven. What that agenda is, I have no idea? It sounds like in your case you just want to see YOUR version of Superman (whatever that may be) and anything different from that must be crapped upon.

I'm seeing the film again tomorrow with my kids. We watched MOS yesterday and talked about it afterward in order to prepare them for it (I still had to fast forward through the awkward cussing parts (Thank God Goyer is gone in BM v SM)). I'll look for some more things I might have missed the first time and see if I notice anything new. ;)

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Mar 2016 18:27 #47076 by kikass2014
^ Judging by the responses to my points, I'm not 100% sure that you got what I was saying. Or maybe I wasn't clear enough perhaps. If so, my bad :)

Hopefully we can meet one day over a drink and discuss this in more detail :)

But for now, we will agree to disagree :)

Peace.

/K

More
01 Apr 2016 16:02 #47106 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
I love the expression of Wonder Woman in this one. :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Apr 2016 17:13 #47107 by jdrock24
Saw this movie for a second time with the wife and kids the other night. A few points:

- My 10 year old had no trouble following the plot. Shame the critics couldn't...
- Both kids and wife cried at the end. To be honest, after watching that video review I posted above, I choked up at a couple of parts also.
- People clapped again when Wonder Woman appeared.
- Noticed Wonder Woman smile during the fight (like she was enjoying the challenge). Did not notice that the first time.

- My kids had no problems while viewing the movie. I warned them that there would be some scary parts so they were prepared and were okay. I know some people have been saying it is too violent for kids but my kids were fine with it. (Note: I'm not taking them within 100 yards of a Deadpool showing. Those parents who did that are out of their minds.)

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
01 Apr 2016 21:04 #47114 by kikass2014
That pic sums it up.

/K

More
01 Apr 2016 22:26 #47118 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman
Okay, here's why Batman vs Superman is Bad....

I've been trying to pin point why I don't like this movie. Ben Affleck as Batman? Nope - that actually works well. Gal Gadot as WW? - She's not in it long enough to understand her character, but she pulls off the role. Maye it was a cacophony of too many characters? I don't think it was any of that.

I began asking myself, why I like Daredevil so much. Yeah its pretty violent, well choreographed but most importantly its the KingPin. I think Daredevils KingPin has to be the best portrayal of any Marvel baddie to date. When I reflected on how awesome the bad guy is in Dare Devil, I finally realized why batman vs superman wasn't that good. Because the villains suck.

I never bought Lex Luthor.... and the creation of Dooms Day was the equivalent of Picard talking to his computer.

"Computer, tea, earl gray, hot"
"But Captain, Starfleet regulations advise a maximum temperature of 90 degrees"
"Damn it computer, I said Hot"

And of Course Superman shows up in the nick of time to save the Captain from drinking the hot tea. Sound silly?.....I think so too =)

More
03 Apr 2016 02:34 #47141 by jdrock24

d_k_c wrote: Okay, here's why Batman vs Superman is Bad....

I've been trying to pin point why I don't like this movie. Ben Affleck as Batman? Nope - that actually works well. Gal Gadot as WW? - She's not in it long enough to understand her character, but she pulls off the role. Maye it was a cacophony of too many characters? I don't think it was any of that.

I began asking myself, why I like Daredevil so much. Yeah its pretty violent, well choreographed but most importantly its the KingPin. I think Daredevils KingPin has to be the best portrayal of any Marvel baddie to date. When I reflected on how awesome the bad guy is in Dare Devil, I finally realized why batman vs superman wasn't that good. Because the villains suck.

I never bought Lex Luthor.... and the creation of Dooms Day was the equivalent of Picard talking to his computer.

"Computer, tea, earl gray, hot"
"But Captain, Starfleet regulations advise a maximum temperature of 90 degrees"
"Damn it computer, I said Hot"

And of Course Superman shows up in the nick of time to save the Captain from drinking the hot tea. Sound silly?.....I think so too =)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Apr 2016 04:52 #47143 by castor
I will say this Eisenberg was fine as Luthor-i would go so far as to say hes the best movie version of him, and that that really was menacing from scene one. He had a couple of scenes that where a little hammy, but it was a fun role and loved his manic glee at playing a young guy whose got it all but somehow isn't happy and just wants more. A nice combo of Mad Scientist Lex, and Evil millionare lex.

That said-i totally agree with DKC that Domesday was introduced a touch clumsily, more like they needed him in the plot at the end but where a little unsure of how to get them there. A better way would be of him just to be made in the lab, but i think wanted the idea that he was an ancient krypton wepion. The time in the krypttonian ship was all...not well done.

That said i do think his ploting and his stiring the shit of batman and superman was well done and i think overall it was wellish done

More
03 Apr 2016 11:42 #47145 by kikass2014
I agree. Doomsday was handled so poorly. His menace, power and threat should have been built up towards, not shoved in (like a lot of thing in this film). And they could of spent more time on how he looked too.

@JDRock24

Why the Jon Stewart.gif? I think d_k_c hit it spot on.

Out of curiosity, what did you find wrong with movie?

Peace.

/K

More
03 Apr 2016 20:07 #47150 by jdrock24

kikass2014 wrote: I agree. Doomsday was handled so poorly. His menace, power and threat should have been built up towards, not shoved in (like a lot of thing in this film). And they could of spent more time on how he looked too.

@JDRock24

Why the Jon Stewart.gif? I think d_k_c hit it spot on.

Out of curiosity, what did you find wrong with movie?

Peace.

/K

The gif was because of the Captain Picard to Luthor comparison. I mean, what the heck was he even talking about?

As for what I found wrong with the movie: I said above that the movie seems to drag until the fights start. The Knightmare sequence threw me the first time I watched it but was totally okay the second time.

Okay, now I'm going to throw this question right back at you:

What did you find right with the movie Mr. kikass2014?

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Apr 2016 22:36 #47152 by kikass2014
So, the only things you felt were wrong with the film was the pacing up to the fight? Really? That's all that is wrong with this film?

To answer your question, and perhaps surprisingly, there were some things I did LIKE about the movie. To be fair it isn't a lot, but it's something.

I felt Affleck's portrayal of Batman (and Bruce Wayne) was pretty good. His movement, menace when he is Batman, physicality were all good. He embodied an older, more mature Batman. I was probably most surprised by this as I have to admit, I was one of those that was "WTF???" when it was announced he would be playing the part. Hands up, he won me over.

Same goes for Cavil as Superman. Physically he looks the part.

I really liked Wonder Woman's theme :)

Aesthetically there was a lot of great looking stuff (as there is with all Snyder films, its what he is best at). A little too much slow-mo, but meh, I didn't mind it.

And that's about it. Unfortunately all the good is weighed down by the shear amount of bad stuff, that there really isn't much left. Even die-hard comic-book fans (especially fans of Batman and Superman, who you would think would LOVE this film), say this films is bad.

Peace.

/K

P.S. I am actually surprised that you didn't understand what d_k_c was saying. His "Picard" description is actually not that complicated, or wrong.

More
04 Apr 2016 02:39 #47154 by castor
Ahh 11 things i like about the movie

I'll put em in spoilers for hecks though not all of them are spoilers.

More
04 Apr 2016 14:48 - 04 Apr 2016 17:03 #47160 by jdrock24

So, the only things you felt were wrong with the film was the pacing up to the fight? Really? That's all that is wrong with this film?

In my view, yes.

Even die-hard comic-book fans (especially fans of Batman and Superman, who you would think would LOVE this film), say this films is bad.

Now I can see older comic book fans of perhaps the Silver Age not being pleased since these are new interpretations of the characters and not the heroes they grew up with. Again, what I hear when I hear complaints like this all boils down to "NOT MY SUPERMAN! NOT MY BATMAN!! etc..." Like people have an idealistic view of what these heroes should "be" that they automatically hate the new interpretations of what they are given. Never mind the fact that there have been literally dozens of different interpretations of the characters over the past 75 years plus they have been in existence.

P.S. I am actually surprised that you didn't understand what d_k_c was saying. His "Picard" description is actually not that complicated, or wrong.

I didn't understand because it made no sense. Are you telling me that the characters of Captain Picard and Lex Luthor are analogous to one other because they can order their computer to do things for them? I mean, which Next Generation episode was it where Picard ordered the Enterprise computer to create an ancient killing machine from a long dead planet? I honestly don't remember...

There are articles popping up all over the net about the emotional themes running through BM v SM. I've already posted a couple. It is unfortunate that some will dismiss them (or worse, refuse to think about them) because this is a "superhero movie" and should be "fun" and crack jokes every five seconds.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2016 17:03 by jdrock24.

• jdrock24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Apr 2016 15:36 #47161 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman

jdrock24 wrote:

I didn't understand because it made no sense. Are you telling me that the characters of Captain Picard and Lex Luthor are analogous to one other because they can order their computer to do things for them? I mean, which Next Generation episode was it where Picard ordered the Enterprise computer to create an ancient killing machine from a long dead planet? I honestly don't remember...

I think that what DKC meant was that the scene played out more like someone ignoring a simple precaution meant to prevent an unpleasant -- but harmless -- consequence, rather than going through a complex and dangerous procedure that should feature multiple failsafes and security measures. On one hand this is trying to apply real world logic to a comicbook/movie situation, although one could argue that a man of Luthor's supposed intelligence should implement those features for his own survival.

• Woodclaw
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds