Amount

Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?

02 Jun 2016 02:33 #48172 by www1969
Brie Larson as Captain Marvel? was created by www1969
Hollywood Reporter says she's "circling" the project.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/br...aptain-marvel-898876

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• www1969
  • www1969's Avatar Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2016 04:26 #48176 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
That would be an interesting choice. She's 5'7, I'd prefer Carol to be a bit taller. She's also slimmer/less fit than Danvers has been drawn in recent times -- but that's not really a deal breaker. (And could be mitigated by a big exercise plan if that's what Marvel really wants.)

Acting ability trumps the physicality, and she's a great actress, she's already played quite a range. She won't have any problems giving an excellent performance, she's even good at comedy. So on that basis, I think she'd do a great job.

It's not even her first comic book movie, she was Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (a movie I really like).

She did seem picky about the roles she was taking now (having arrived at a place where she can be). So if the movie interests her, she sees something in it. Or perhaps she thinks it'll be really fun -- I think Marvel movies do have a reputation of being fun to work on.

More
02 Jun 2016 22:56 - 02 Jun 2016 22:56 #48189 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
Definitely agree on the "interesting choice" aspect. Brie Larson certainly has the acting ability for the role (Academy Award Winner), however from a personal standpoint, she doesn't have the "look" for Capt. Marvel.

This is in no way saying she is unattractive. However, Yvonne Strahovski, Katheryn Winnick , and even Blakely Lively, all LOOK better, in my mind, as Capt. Marvel.

Having said that, my personal (and others most probably) favorite choice is still Emily Blunt. She has the physicality and acting, as well as star power, to pull off the role successfully.

Still, I wouldn't complain if they did get Larson. Though my gut still tells me Blunt is a lock for the role.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 02 Jun 2016 22:56 by kikass2014.

More
03 Jun 2016 01:34 #48195 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
After seeing the MAGIC the TV series "The Expanse" was able to work casting the seminal 'supergirl' of that setting - a 6'+ Maori-heritage Force Recon Marine who kicks an astounding amount of ass - I really hope the folks casting Captain Marvel open the net a bit wider than the Hollywood short list. The author/producers on the Expanse acknowledged they'd found a unicorn by looking outside the United States. She's breathtaking and doesn't need camera tricks to LOOM over some of the other cast members.

I want someone I've never heard of but is highly regarded on the stages of northern Europe or something. Surprise me. But for God's sake dig a little deeper for this role.

More
04 Jun 2016 14:35 #48234 by inactive
Replied by inactive on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
First 'shop of Brie Larson as Captain Marvel I've seen.

- GeekSeven

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
04 Jun 2016 14:52 #48236 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?

geekseven wrote: First 'shop of Brie Larson as Captain Marvel I've seen.

Not bad. I'm still very partial to my first gues, Katee Sackhoff, but not bad.

This image is hidden for guests.

More
04 Jun 2016 16:07 #48238 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
Larson as she was gearing up to oscars said (and i am parphrasing) "one thing that has really effected my career is i am pretty, but not the prettiest, and that has been a real struggle all these years getting good roles"

And thats not the worst quality actually i think for Captian Marvel. Shes never been supose to be a supermodel, just an attractive but competent woman who gets things done. Yeah she'll probabbly spend a couple of months in the gym, and like some actresses who i won't name, its kinda hard to tell how that works for women. But She''ll look fine

That said I will say this-

I am pretty sure when they redesigned the costume they did so with the concept "This is going to be a in a movie at some point, lets make something that looks kinda like a movie costume and an actress can wear without to many think peices"...and these pictures, both of them kinda fail, as well as pretty much every cosplay i have seen of it. They look to much like a normal flight suit with to much spangly bits on it for it to real read as anything other then a little silly. I hope they redesign it at least a little bit for it.

More
04 Jun 2016 17:05 #48246 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
Here's my ultimate image of Ms Marvel / Captain Marvel. Better than anything (IMHO) than we'll ever see in a movie.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
04 Jun 2016 17:19 #48248 by TwiceOnThursdays

shadar wrote: Here's my ultimate image of Ms Marvel / Captain Marvel. Better than anything (IMHO) than we'll ever see in a movie.

The coloring on this makes my brain hurt. I'm not sure why the artist colored her outfit light blue ... it's black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan

More
04 Jun 2016 17:52 #48250 by Woodclaw

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

shadar wrote: Here's my ultimate image of Ms Marvel / Captain Marvel. Better than anything (IMHO) than we'll ever see in a movie.

The coloring on this makes my brain hurt. I'm not sure why the artist colored her outfit light blue ... it's black.

Actually the color was supposed to be very dark blue, but I agree with the sentiment.

More
04 Jun 2016 17:55 #48252 by shadar
A little desaturation helps a bit...

• shadar
More
04 Jun 2016 18:07 #48254 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
As Captain Marvel gazed out the window, she suddenly found herself bathed in an intense energy beam, emitted from a hovering craft that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

A DESATURATION RAY!

More
04 Jun 2016 18:23 #48255 by shadar

LustMonster wrote: As Captain Marvel gazed out the window, she suddenly found herself bathed in an intense energy beam, emitted from a hovering craft that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

A DESATURATION RAY!

The Photoshop monster from beyond has struck again.

• shadar
More
04 Jun 2016 18:53 - 04 Jun 2016 18:58 #48256 by TwiceOnThursdays

Woodclaw wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

Actually the color was supposed to be very dark blue, but I agree with the sentiment.

I can see why you'd say that when you look at Ms marvel 20-23, and her appearances in the Avengers (more so in the Avengers). (Comics that I bought off the rack when they were new!) Except, I have always taken it for black, with the blue shown meant to be where light is shinning off it and is used to be less jarring than white and since (at the time), coloring couldn't show a lighter black well.

(I'll insert a big appreciation for Wasp's uniforms during the first Perez Avengers too. She SHOULD be changing her uniform all the time!)

Here's the first images of her costume, and it only shows blue where light is shinning off it:

I often think my perception of things is skewed, but I always took this as black from the first moment I saw it.

And I've read somewhere that the original base for her uniform Captain Marvel (Mar-vel), in his second costume, was supposed to be black and red, but since the same thing was done to a larger extent, everyone took it for blue and thus it became blue. (It also made a better contrast for when it went black-black during his "cosmic awareness" space face.) So even her original uniform should have been black and red instead of blue and red. (Thus when Karla Soften became Ms. Marvel and used black/red for her colors, that was a nice nod). I couldn't find a definitive source for this, so I could easily be wrong, it's just something I picked up, and is mostly an aside, though one that might explain why they'd switch her from blue/red/gold to black/gold instead of blue/gold.

When Ms. Marvel returned to using this costume (right before her latest costume switch), it appears black to me. And certainly every cosplay I can remember seeing of it is in black. It's also black in toys and statues.

Ms Marvel Cosplay Photos

This is mostly because I went "no it's black!" in my head when I read what you said, so I went back and looked. So, while I see what you're saying, I'm going with black. ;-)

OTH, in a lot of the Greg Horn cover art it does look more dark bluish. But I just knock that up to Horn being wrong. ;-) (Google "ms. marvel greg horn.)

Your image actually looks a bit like Greg Horn art but is probably a photoshop job.)

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 04 Jun 2016 18:58 by TwiceOnThursdays.

More
04 Jun 2016 20:15 #48261 by shadar
One cannot forget, however, that there was an earlier costume:

• shadar
More
05 Jun 2016 07:21 #48276 by TwiceOnThursdays

shadar wrote: One cannot forget, however, that there was an earlier costume:

Ahem.

Technically that's not her first costume. It's an amalgam of her first costume and the Karla Sofen Ms. Marvel Costume w/ some alterations. The Top is cut similarly to her original uniform, but it's black and not blue, and has thigh high boots. The front/back cutouts lines are different -- but to be honest they shifted in the original artwork a lot before the cut-outs were eventually removed. (After the circuitry in her costume burned out so it was no longer special.)

Her side markings didn't come to point either -- Sofen's did in some artist renderings though.

I read those comics more than a few times ....

More
05 Jun 2016 18:34 #48286 by TwiceOnThursdays
This is Chris Evans on the topic (TL;DR is he loves working with her):

More
05 Jun 2016 19:03 #48288 by shadar

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

shadar wrote: One cannot forget, however, that there was an earlier costume:

Ahem.

Technically that's not her first costume. It's an amalgam of her first costume and the Karla Sofen Ms. Marvel Costume w/ some alterations. The Top is cut similarly to her original uniform, but it's black and not blue, and has thigh high boots. The front/back cutouts lines are different -- but to be honest they shifted in the original artwork a lot before the cut-outs were eventually removed. (After the circuitry in her costume burned out so it was no longer special.)

Her side markings didn't come to point either -- Sofen's did in some artist renderings though.

I read those comics more than a few times ....

Agreed. I should have more appropriately said my published pict "suggested" her first costume.

Which brings me to an interesting thought... we are at Level 1 of a continuum of artistic expression where the limits are primarily human skills. We might have the ability to conceive the perfect image of some fictional character or place, but few of us have the ability to express it convincingly in art.

So when does Level 2 arrive? When technology allows people like us can create our perfect representations of fictional people or places without having to spend five years learning to be a Photoshop artist or have skill? When each of us has our own view of perfection.

Then Level 3. Now it starts to get interesting. At this point such individual creations become strong actors in a life-like computer simulation? Perhaps in a time where no two people see exactly the same movie. Movies we each create along with our personal AI movie director/producers/actors.

By Level 4 we live in the simulation, ala Holo Deck of Star Trek. Humans no longer populate the natural world. A simulation that can run anywhere, and not just on Earth.

I always like to imagine that future crews of starships on long missions will be part of a vast computer simulation that links up with other nets and updates itself when ships are close enough to each other. When the crew aren't doing physical tasks on their ships, they are inside the simulation (which also ties into most ship functions).

They might be floating through vacuum in tin cans, billions or trillions of miles from anywhere, yet they live complex social lives with simulated beings of great imagination, intelligence and emotions. Some of which are real people that are not present in their current tin can.

My own spin on the Matrix that I think is more than likely. We move a little closer every year. The Net which we are all part of is the necessary (but far from sufficient) first step.

• shadar
More
06 Jun 2016 21:53 #48320 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
I've split the other replies to a new topic

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...&id=30082&Itemid=195

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
07 Jun 2016 09:55 #48333 by Woodclaw

fats wrote: I've split the other replies to a new topic

www.superwomenmania.com/index.php?option...&id=30082&Itemid=195

Fats

Thanks.

More
07 Jun 2016 14:06 #48337 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
I have no problem with Brie as CM. However, I was expecting/hoping for someone older to fit in with more of the comic book origins. However, I realize this is a different universe and the film makers probably have a different origin in mind. Which is fine, I don't think the movies have to take everything in the comics as gospel truth.

More
07 Jun 2016 15:32 #48338 by shadar

jdrock24 wrote: I have no problem with Brie as CM. However, I was expecting/hoping for someone older to fit in with more of the comic book origins. However, I realize this is a different universe and the film makers probably have a different origin in mind. Which is fine, I don't think the movies have to take everything in the comics as gospel truth.

Gospel, no, but if you are using an existing character, you need to leverage off of at least one of the various portrayals that the comics have done. Otherwise you are inventing a new character.

With any character, we can each make a list of what "essential" characteristics must have come from the comics, while allowing interpretation and speculation about others. Our lists will likely not agree with each others.

In Carol's case, my top two is that she had an accomplished background before becoming Captain Marvel. She's not a newby like Kara, but she's been a fighter pilot and some kind of field agent and she's been extensively trained. She was an immensely capable and unusual woman before she gained her special abilities. That is reflected in everything she does.

The other is that her new abilities came from the Kree, a warrior race who are not the friends of Earth. And that results in her having some internal conflicts between her human and Kree selves, including some out-of-contorl moments where she's too willing to kick ass. Or whatever. A lot of dramatic potential in that area alone. She's gone from a woman who is totally in control of herself, highly disciplined, and now this Kree self not only gives her amazing abilities, but also moments where she's close to "going Kree".

Anything less, then it's not the Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel that appealed to me. But that still leaves a lot of creative license on the table for the producers, including her actual powers.

Be interesting to know how my Top Two compare to yours...? She's been reinvented a few times in the comics.

Shadar

• shadar
More
09 Jun 2016 17:04 - 09 Jun 2016 17:06 #48399 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?

In Carol's case, my top two is that she had an accomplished background before becoming Captain Marvel. She's not a newby like Kara, but she's been a fighter pilot and some kind of field agent and she's been extensively trained. She was an immensely capable and unusual woman before she gained her special abilities. That is reflected in everything she does.

Agree totally with this. Which is why I was expecting/hoping Marvel would cast someone a bit older. Someone who you could believe was a fighter pilot before getting her powers. However, they appear to not have done so. I guess we will have to see how it works out....

The other is that her new abilities came from the Kree, a warrior race who are not the friends of Earth. And that results in her having some internal conflicts between her human and Kree selves, including some out-of-contorl moments where she's too willing to kick ass. Or whatever. A lot of dramatic potential in that area alone. She's gone from a woman who is totally in control of herself, highly disciplined, and now this Kree self not only gives her amazing abilities, but also moments where she's close to "going Kree".

I'm not really as concerned about this. If her powers are extraterrestrial in origin in some form or fashion and she has the same basic power set as she does in the comics, that would be okay to me.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 17:06 by jdrock24.

More
09 Jun 2016 17:26 #48400 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
^ I totally agree with you, it should be someone a little older/mature.

However, they appear to not have done so. I guess we will have to see how it works out....

No one has been cast yet. Most likely, if the timeline Feige stated holds true, an announcement will be coming around Comic-Con of after.

Peace.

/K

More
09 Jun 2016 18:52 #48404 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Brie Larson as Captain Marvel?
By the time this movie comes out this young woman will be older and more mature.

More
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds