Amount

WW - final Trailer

27 May 2017 23:30 - 27 May 2017 23:34 #54320 by Monty
Replied by Monty on topic WW - final Trailer

AuGoose wrote: I think it's an excellent idea, and doubly so because its &#@*%ing TEXAS.

Criminy. If we can figure out women might enjoy some privacy at a gym, we can maybe, possibly imagine they'd like to watch the movie in the absence of 100 men who are there chiefly to mentally strip the protagonist naked in their minds before imaging 30 different kinds of sex acts while the plot is rolling by marginally being absorbed. Because make no mistake, much of the audience is there to see hot and scantily clad, not any aspect of female powerfulness.

OK Goose, I take your point about fkn texas and their views (apologies to any texan folk on here) But we are all going to the cinema to watch a damn hot actress play a damn hot superheroine in a hell of a wonderful movie. We're not going for the "culture" of the film like say, 'The Piano' we're going there to be goddamned entertained!
Last edit: 27 May 2017 23:34 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2017 13:05 #54326 by fats
Replied by fats on topic WW - final Trailer

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 May 2017 13:29 #54327 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic WW - final Trailer
I keep thinking that Lynda Carter must have struck a deal with the devil to still looks this great, plus she has class in spades.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
28 May 2017 23:18 #54336 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic WW - final Trailer
Gee, I just hope they admit some of the 3,998 other genders so far identified by Gender "Science" as well ... .

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 May 2017 06:02 - 29 May 2017 06:10 #54341 by Monty

Woodclaw wrote: I keep thinking that Lynda Carter must have struck a deal with the devil to still looks this great, plus she has class in spades.

I think it's the fact that Lynda's mother is Mexican and her father is of Scots-Irish descent that blessed her with remarkable genes. Hell Yeah she will always be beautiful!

ETA ...and passed her wonder genes onto her daughter Jessica who is also beautiful.
Last edit: 29 May 2017 06:10 by Monty.

More
29 May 2017 11:16 #54345 by Woodclaw

Monty wrote: I think it's the fact that Lynda's mother is Mexican and her father is of Scots-Irish descent that blessed her with remarkable genes. Hell Yeah she will always be beautiful!

ETA ...and passed her wonder genes onto her daughter Jessica who is also beautiful.

That's very likely mixed ancestry often produce remarkably beautiful individuals.

More
29 May 2017 14:56 #54347 by fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 May 2017 15:51 #54348 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic WW - final Trailer
They're sure going down to the wire with their review embargo. I wonder if this will be the new normal for big-budget blockbusters.

More
29 May 2017 19:46 #54352 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic WW - final Trailer

fats wrote: WW set to break the box office

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/apos-wonder-wo...s-set-200000710.html

Fats

I almost always go see movies on the pre-opening night (the Thursday night opening). I also usually only buy my tickets a few days in advance (if that).

In Wonder Woman's case I bought my tickets a month in advance, and even picked up a ticket for a friend. (I also stopped watching trailers.) It wasn't because I thought they'd sell out, it's that I thought that WB wasnt' giving the movie the focus it deserved, so i figured one of the small ways to show real fan interest in something is with the pre-ticket sales. If they sold enough of those, then going into the movie there would be a "it's doing REALLY well in ticket sales", and kick up a positive press vibe. (And it does seem that WB came around w/ the marketing.)

So it makes me happy that I wasn't the only one who thought that, and a bunch of people bought tickets already ... which drives up the interest and hopefully makes MORE people go out and see it.

I've also found that "The Buzz" about a movie can't make a great movie be received badly, or a bad one be thought great ... but it sure can knock a movie up or down a few pegs. Iron Fist isn't that bad (it's not awesome, but it's not horrible). But, preface with a bunch of negaltive press, and people go in expected bad, see bad, and then tell everyone else "it was bad", and it reinforces the impression. (And vice versa). So i'm glad the pre-hype is both "movie is awesome", "people are looking forward to it" and it's getting good fan/critic comments. That means people will go in with a postive bump.

It'll still have to BE GOOD, to come out well, but at least it's not opening in theatres hobbled.

Sadly these days you need to show your support with per-sales for books/comics because it directly affects the print run, the advertising, and the willingness to keep up with the book. It's less true with movies ... but it's still there. Not so sure that it wasn't the internet hype (for normal people) and pre-sales that encourged WB to step up with trailers.

More
30 May 2017 02:01 #54362 by fats
Gal Gadot Wore Flats to the Premiere of 'Wonder Woman'

uk.yahoo.com/news/gal-gadot-wore-flats-premiere-075814162.html

Fats

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 May 2017 04:01 #54365 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic WW - final Trailer

fats wrote: Gal Gadot Wore Flats to the Premiere of 'Wonder Woman'

uk.yahoo.com/news/gal-gadot-wore-flats-premiere-075814162.html

Fats

Wonder Woman can wear anything she wants. They should just be glad she didn't bring her sword.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 May 2017 04:39 - 30 May 2017 04:41 #54366 by shadar
The embargo on WW reviews is slated to end in 25 minutes... May 29, 9pm Pacific Daylight Time. Then all the reviewers who saw the movie last week can finally publish.

As usual, there will be non-spoiler reviews and spoiler reviews and every stage in between.

Should be a lot of stories about the reactions to those reviews on Tuesday morning news.

Shadar
Last edit: 30 May 2017 04:41 by shadar.

• shadar
More
30 May 2017 13:05 #54375 by brantley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monty

More
30 May 2017 13:58 #54376 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic WW - final Trailer
I can honestly say that I've never read one review of a comic book movie (except for maybe a few of Batman v Superman just to see how incredibly stupid and off base they were). I mean, I'm going to go and see it anyway and form my own opinion so why waste time worrying about what someone else thinks?

It will be the same with Wonder Woman. I've heard that it is getting good reviews from the critics but I couldn't care less. I'll go sometime this weekend and decide for myself.

More
30 May 2017 18:38 #54383 by shadar

jdrock24 wrote: I can honestly say that I've never read one review of a comic book movie (except for maybe a few of Batman v Superman just to see how incredibly stupid and off base they were). I mean, I'm going to go and see it anyway and form my own opinion so why waste time worrying about what someone else thinks?

It will be the same with Wonder Woman. I've heard that it is getting good reviews from the critics but I couldn't care less. I'll go sometime this weekend and decide for myself.

Some of us care because reviews shape public opinion and most people go to see movies with very good reviews. That leads to more movies with the same perceived formula for success. Which is a good thing for many of us who are fans of the genre. Which is why I care.

Petsonally, I often disagree with reviews, but that's because I'm a crusty old fart who has his own ideas about what is good. That doesn't make the reviews less important for the reasons above.

Shadar

• shadar
More
30 May 2017 20:03 #54389 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic WW - final Trailer
I pay attention to reviews, but barely let it influence whether I want to see it or not. I purposefully have held off reading any reviews (other than headlines) or watching the last few trailers of WW, but overall feedback seems very positive.

I think Rotten Tomatoes is hardly a good barometer and often beats superhero movies (Suicide Squad, BvsS, etc.) unnecessarily into oblivion, but even WW is killing it on their site with 96%!

www.yahoo.com/news/apos-wonder-woman-apos-lassos-175154071.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw

More
30 May 2017 20:35 #54394 by LustMonster
Replied by LustMonster on topic WW - final Trailer
I think a better barometer is the fact that the Thursday night shows in my area are already nearly sold out.

Good thing I bought tix this morning!

More
30 May 2017 20:48 #54396 by Woodclaw

lfan wrote: I pay attention to reviews, but barely let it influence whether I want to see it or not. I purposefully have held off reading any reviews (other than headlines) or watching the last few trailers of WW, but overall feedback seems very positive.

I think Rotten Tomatoes is hardly a good barometer and often beats superhero movies (Suicide Squad, BvsS, etc.) unnecessarily into oblivion, but even WW is killing it on their site with 96%!

I agree with you, also because what a reviewer looks for in a movie is often different from what I looks for. Just for the sake of example, "Big Trouble in Little China" was pretty much destroyed by the critics when it came out, but I love each every minute of it.

More
30 May 2017 20:56 #54398 by TwiceOnThursdays

Woodclaw wrote:

lfan wrote: I pay attention to reviews, but barely let it influence whether I want to see it or not. I purposefully have held off reading any reviews (other than headlines) or watching the last few trailers of WW, but overall feedback seems very positive.

I agree with you, also because what a reviewer looks for in a movie is often different from what I looks for. Just for the sake of example, "Big Trouble in Little China" was pretty much destroyed by the critics when it came out, but I love each every minute of it.

If someone doesn't love Big Trouble in Little China there is something wrong with them. ;-)

More
30 May 2017 21:00 #54399 by jdrock24
Replied by jdrock24 on topic WW - final Trailer

shadar wrote: Some of us care because reviews shape public opinion and most people go to see movies with very good reviews. That leads to more movies with the same perceived formula for success. Which is a good thing for many of us who are fans of the genre. Which is why I care.

I understand this point. However, I would argue that critics, especially the RT score, are becoming less and less relevant to a film's box office take with each passing year, especially in the genre of CBMs. Do studios like pleasing critics and getting the high RT scores? Yes, of course so they can advertise it. But they like high box office numbers even more and they know to do that they have to please the fans of the genre.

My in-laws did not go see Batman v Superman in theaters because of the scathing reviews. However, when I showed them the movie after it came out on DVD they couldn't understand the hate the movie got. My father-in-law loves it now, especially the Ultimate Edition. Now here is a man in his 60s who always checked out movie reviews before heading off to the theater. Now he doesn't trust them, at least for CBMs he doesn't.

Petsonally, I often disagree with reviews, but that's because I'm a crusty old fart who has his own ideas about what is good.

Ha ha! Same here.

More
31 May 2017 02:03 #54407 by TwiceOnThursdays
I though this was funny.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, Monty, AuGoose

More
31 May 2017 08:47 #54412 by Woodclaw
From the same author :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays, AuGoose, rebel4life

More
31 May 2017 18:36 - 31 May 2017 18:55 #54422 by Monty
No way - I knew Gal Gadot served her time as an Israeli Citizen/Soldier but I didn't expect to see this

www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/31/won...ban-gal-gadot-israel

ETA 'Wonder Woman is expected to gross $175m on her opening weekend' Looking forward to chipping in!
Last edit: 31 May 2017 18:55 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

More
31 May 2017 19:04 #54424 by Woodclaw

Monty wrote: No way - I knew Gal Gadot served her time as an Israeli Citizen/Soldier but I didn't expect to see this

www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/31/won...ban-gal-gadot-israel

ETA 'Wonder Woman is expected to gross $175m on her opening weekend' Looking forward to chipping in!

These kind of things happens all over the world. Many countries ban movies due to technical or cultural specifics (e.g. in Germany is illegal to show a swastika unless it's a period movie and even in that cae it's kind of skidding the line; in South Korea it's illegal to portray Japanese military personel or samaurai in any kind of positive light). There is really nothing new here, except, maybe, the fact that this is based on the nationality of the lead actress.

More
01 Jun 2017 07:58 - 01 Jun 2017 07:58 #54440 by Monty
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 07:58 by Monty.

More
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds