Amount

Wonder Woman beats Batman V Superman at US Box Office

12 Nov 2017 18:22 #57027 by AuGoose
Let me rephrase: she IS going to get what she wants on this occasion - and probably would have anyway without having said anything at all. She's also going to be indelibly tagged as 'makes movie-killing demands" regardless of how righteous this particular instance might be. That will cause other companies to look elsewhere when casting. She doesn't have nearly the talent or gravitas to be making threats of this magnitude outside of this one role. No one not already entangled with her will willingly expose themselves to the risk of "what 'costs-us-half-a-billion-dollars-if-we-don't-comply crusade is she going to go off on next time?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2017 19:28 #57029 by shadar

AuGoose wrote: Let me rephrase: she IS going to get what she wants on this occasion - and probably would have anyway without having said anything at all. She's also going to be indelibly tagged as 'makes movie-killing demands" regardless of how righteous this particular instance might be. That will cause other companies to look elsewhere when casting. She doesn't have nearly the talent or gravitas to be making threats of this magnitude outside of this one role. No one not already entangled with her will willingly expose themselves to the risk of "what 'costs-us-half-a-billion-dollars-if-we-don't-comply crusade is she going to go off on next time?"

Before 2016, I would have heartily agreed with you. Now, I think everything is changing. Power is changing hands. But we'll see.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
12 Nov 2017 21:46 #57032 by brantley

More
13 Nov 2017 01:32 #57038 by Starforge

AuGoose wrote: Or, alternatively, she just put a bullet in the brain of the franchise in the long run. Because regardless of the moral high ground, studio executives don't generally care to indulge ultimatums from actors. I'd be unsurprised if Rat-Pac is pushed out but her career is quietly over. That's pretty much textbook "how to get blacklisted" even with the current house cleaning going on.

Show of hands....who thinks Gal Gadot will be just fine if she never makes another movie? ✋
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
16 Nov 2017 17:45 #57161 by Monty

Monty wrote: You don't mess with Wonder Woman!
Gal has the power now.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5073779...rett-Ratner-out.html

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/16/gal-...ropped-wonder-woman/

So did Ratner jump... or was he pushed? Either way he's fallen off the cliff, missed the water and hit the rocks.

More
16 Nov 2017 19:35 #57162 by lfan
Something tells me that the general public -- as well as Hollywood -- will side with Gal and Patty on this one. Ratner has long been regarded as extremely talented but a real scumbag to work with, dating all the way back to the X-men days. The studios -- even WB -- cannot afford the bad publicity without investigating or repremanding him.

As far as Gal getting blacklisted....if they decide to do that with her as well as anyone speaking out these days, there won't be much of a Hollywood left.

ElF

More
16 Nov 2017 20:20 - 16 Nov 2017 20:29 #57163 by AuGoose
There is a line sharper than the fake Godslayer between speaking out and threatening a production if you don't get your way. Don't think for a moment the protections afforded to one activity by a groundswell of righteous indignation necessarily extend to the other. The moment she added "or else I'll..." that became something no studio will forget even if they may eventually forgive. Blacklisting can be a very quiet process, one all but indistinguishable for a majority of studios independently deciding not to hire a "pushy actor". Honestly, we won't know for several years.

Her own quote basically confirms what I said in the first place:

Asked about the initial claims, Gadot replied: “The truth is, there’s so many people involved in making this movie, it’s not just me, and they all echoed the same sentiments.

“Everyone knew what was the right thing to do."

Lodging a complaint almost certainly would have been sufficient. Attaching a THREAT to that complaint put her in a whole different set of crosshhairs.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2017 20:29 by AuGoose.

More
16 Nov 2017 20:21 #57164 by shadar

lfan wrote: Something tells me that the general public -- as well as Hollywood -- will side with Gal and Patty on this one. Ratner has long been regarded as extremely talented but a real scumbag to work with, dating all the way back to the X-men days. The studios -- even WB -- cannot afford the bad publicity without investigating or repremanding him.

As far as Gal getting blacklisted....if they decide to do that with her as well as anyone speaking out these days, there won't be much of a Hollywood left.

ElF

In a complete reversal of what we saw prior to 2016, women who speak up are being listened to. The courts may stay busy for years with libel suits and whatever, but social media has spoken. Abusive men will be outed. All of them.

Those who might be inclined to follow in their footsteps will not dare. The casting couches are all on their way to the trash dump.

I suspect this is going to be a permanent, defining change in the social order.

Shadar

• shadar
More
16 Nov 2017 21:00 #57165 by Starforge
I strongly doubt there will be a permanent change in the social order. That being said, I'm glad that this has come up. People should treat others with respect and it's sad that too many have not and have abused their positions. We were on our way here 25 years ago regarding harassment until Clinton got caught and the left let the issue drop for political reasons. I hope it sticks this time even if I also hope that the rule of law is followed.

Unfortunately, one consequence of this will be backroom determination of the risks associated with hiring women. This won't really impact Hollywood at the star level - too visible - but certainly if this trickles into corporate life.

It's an old but true joke: Be good....but if you can't be good, be careful.

More
16 Nov 2017 21:30 #57166 by kikass2014
I have to say, I'm with Augoose on this. She didn't need to make a threat so to speak. I'm sorry but Gadot does not have the talent or the clout to be spouting off demands like that. Wonder Woman was a success for other factors, and not her "amazing" performance tbh. Oh, and the whole hypocrisy of...well I'll leave it at that.

Again, I will go back to what I said before (and I think most agree) - just because someone is accused of something, doesn't mean they did it. He may be the biggest scumbag ever, or he may not. Truth atm is we don't know. Rule of law.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost, Starforge

More
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds