Amount

Tomb Raider 2018

19 Jan 2018 21:55 - 19 Jan 2018 21:55 #58205 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Tomb Raider 2018

Is the implication then that both movies failed to portray the original character well, with the new movie even further from the original?

...but I fail to see how this reboot is so distant from the original. They're both action-heavy stories based around a powerful female character. You can argue that this new version of Lara start out much weaker...,

I'll see if I can put it this way and try to answer both of these.

"Original" Lara Croft is/was a sexualized, nerd boy fantasy. "New" Lara Croft is a generic feminist construct.

How can they be the same character, if they are coming from diametrically opposite philosophies (for point of a better word) is my question?

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 19 Jan 2018 21:55 by kikass2014.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2018 00:27 #58206 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Tomb Raider 2018

kikass2014 wrote:

Is the implication then that both movies failed to portray the original character well, with the new movie even further from the original?

...but I fail to see how this reboot is so distant from the original. They're both action-heavy stories based around a powerful female character. You can argue that this new version of Lara start out much weaker...,

I'll see if I can put it this way and try to answer both of these.

"Original" Lara Croft is/was a sexualized, nerd boy fantasy. "New" Lara Croft is a generic feminist construct.

How can they be the same character, if they are coming from diametrically opposite philosophies (for point of a better word) is my question?

Peace.

/K

Version 1: sexualized, nerd boy fantasy.

Version 2: A generic feminist construct, which means a women who can stand on her own two feet and do amazing things, with or without men.

In the end, we might be closer than I thought on this issue, Kikass. I was just looking at it in a different way, but I like yours better. The essence of the characters ARE too different to share the same name. Naming the new character Lara taints her with memories of her objectified former version. To your point, they should have renamed her so that she didn't have to carry the Lara Croft sexualized nerd boy fantasy baggage forward. Because that isn't what this new Lara is about.

If the movie is successful in relaunching the Lara Croft franchise, more and more people will more closely associate Lara Craft with Alicia Vikander's 21st Century attitudes and behavior, especially given that feminist action heroes seem to be the new norm. And that will be an entirely different Lara. Different at the core.

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
20 Jan 2018 00:50 #58207 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Tomb Raider 2018
the trailer looks good.

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodclaw, demethon, TwiceOnThursdays

• fats
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
25 Jan 2018 13:55 #58254 by koopa
Replied by koopa on topic Tomb Raider 2018

AuGoose wrote: I'm guessing most folks here haven't played the more recent games. Because the faithfulness of this production to those its full-on stunning to me.

its feels like they designed the games with Alicia Vikander in mind !

More
20 Mar 2018 02:28 #58899 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Tomb Raider 2018
Crushed by the Black Panther in it's fifth week.
The Tomb Raider kinda underperformed in the U.S. getting lukewarm reviews.
Jeff Goldstien, the spin doctor says:
"Tomb Raider" came close to studio expectations in North America but that international ticket sales were a primary focus."

www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/18...s-avatar-record.html

I do not plan to see the movie until it trickles down to free TV

My personal opinion is a sexier actress resembling the earlier version of Lara Croft with the modern "feminist" outlook could have pushed this movie over the top.
Take the best of both worlds.

More
23 Mar 2018 09:35 #58943 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Tomb Raider 2018
Saw it. Enjoyed it. Found Laura adequately sassy and well poised to grow into the adult version many of us think of first.

The story was a bit truncated compared to the video game. The actor playing the lead villian is becoming tragically typecast even if he is fairly amazing in that archetype (he's been sensational in The Shield and Justified). Pacing breaks down a little in the last act as certain critical tensions between characters are tabled for exactly no good reason. There's a totally unnecessary feel good twist that blows most of the scenario-logic's brains out and is best ignored - the payoff does not merit overturning an hour's worth of set-up.

Location shooting and sets were top notch. Productions values were solid all the way around. The lead bad-assed her little heart out and the requisite acrobatic insanity was insane. The trap-laden tombs are literally everything we could hope for with good "oh shit, that's gonna collapse/explode/mutilate..." moments well telegraphed. The fight choreography was solid and did not shy away from the fact that even soaking wet she weighs less than half as much as most of the thugs. Between this and Atomic Blonde, say what you will about "feminist constructs" it's nice to see tight, plausible female-vs-male fight choreography because they just do NOT try to win slugging matches.

All an all a great low-tier ubergirl flic. She's about a half-step behind cinematic Steve Rodgers and it looked good on her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, Woodclaw, Dru1076, Markiehoe, TwiceOnThursdays

More
23 Mar 2018 22:52 #58945 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Tomb Raider 2018

...Atomic Blonde...

Haven't seen TR yet, and like Markiehoe, don't plan too any time soon either.

I did however want to say that Atomic Blonde is outstanding in its fight choreography and set pieces. Theron delivers a great performance imo, worth watching for that alone :)

Peace.

/K

More
26 Mar 2018 05:24 #58957 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Tomb Raider 2018

kikass2014 wrote:

...Atomic Blonde...

I did however want to say that Atomic Blonde is outstanding in its fight choreography and set pieces. Theron delivers a great performance imo, worth watching for that alone :)

Peace.

/K

I'm way behind on movies, I would have seen this, but I haven't had time. And I think I'm queuing up on movies. I might try to squeeze this in sometimes to see in as a theatrical release though.

Mostly though I want to put in another "Atomic Blonde is well worth watching" vote. Hm. I probably need to pick up the blu ray and re-watch.

More
26 Mar 2018 06:17 #58958 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Tomb Raider 2018

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

kikass2014 wrote:

...Atomic Blonde...

Peace.

/K

I'm way behind on movies, I would have seen this, but I haven't had time. And I think I'm queuing up on movies. I might try to squeeze this in sometimes to see in as a theatrical release though.

Mostly though I want to put in another "Atomic Blonde is well worth watching" vote. Hm. I probably need to pick up the blu ray and re-watch.

Attomic Blonde is a good action movie-really a great action scene, in a spy plot thats not very good. It wants to be simultaniously LeCarrie and James Bond which doesn't quite work

More
26 Mar 2018 09:08 #58962 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Tomb Raider 2018

castor wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

kikass2014 wrote:

...Atomic Blonde...

Peace.

/K

Attomic Blonde is a good action movie-really a great action scene, in a spy plot thats not very good. It wants to be simultaniously LeCarrie and James Bond which doesn't quite work

I have to politely disagree on that point. In my eyes Coldest City (the comic the movie is based on) worked because it took inspiration from both LeCarré and Flemming. The wroks of both authors have been adapted with various degree of success, but this is the first time someone tried to do both. Using only one source would have make for a rather dull movie, whereas the constant switch between the two registers made everything much more lively in my eyes.

More
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds