Amount

Stargirl

02 Jun 2020 03:06 #68241 by BodyByBane
Replied by BodyByBane on topic Stargirl
even the smallville version takes less time to get behind Arrowverse character CW use to have bloody morals &lessons if we're doing some tv comparisons 
Hell i can't believe that I am saying this but even the smallville version of[/color] hawkman is truly better than arrowverse versionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FYfgXuquohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8hz2G4sYQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZLMjAUIwM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2020 05:57 #68308 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Stargirl
I’m still digging Stargirl as of Ep 4 which introduces the new Wildcat.

The show seems to be balancing it’s budget, we didn’t see much of Stargirl doing acrobatics on her staff, instead we saw the new Wildcat.  (Here the powers come from the mask and aren’t native like in the comics).   And in the comics Ted Grant’s Wildcat didn’t have powers (* later he has some funky “9 lives thing” IIRC).   In the comic he’s her godfather, we are not sure if there is a connection in the show ... she’s a boxer and she had a picture of Grant. It could just be because she’s a boxer ... or it could be she till has some connection to him .. .which would be a bit silly for her to end up as Wildcat and then find out she knew Wildcat.

I do like the little hints going on.  And a nice use of “You don’t have to show everything”.  Sometimes things happening offscreen (esp when the main characters don’t know) is a great way to keep the pacing going.

Some of the wildcat power display was a bit awkward, i hope they get better at it.

This episode was nicely focused on Yolanda, while keeping the plot moving.

High points for me:

- Wildcat’s costume scene (as silly as it was, it was still fun). I’m also forgiving them for having Grant’s costume have powers.
- Fiddler playing (We still don’t know the full story here as the Male Fiddler Is in the pictures, the comics did have briefly have a female fiddler but she wasn’t married to the old one.)
- Name dropping Shade as someone who betrayed the Injustice Society and showing him in the picture.
- the bad guys aren’t uniform, There are disagreements.  Some are REALLY creepy.  (Dr. Ito)

I still maintain it’s Shade killing Hourman in the pilot. No one in the Injustice Society should be able to kill Shade.  It’d be cool to see him in an episode.  There’s so much going on right now though, I’m ok with it not happening and focusing on the characters that are already there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, kikass2014

More
09 Jun 2020 14:26 #68313 by lfan
Replied by lfan on topic Stargirl
Add my name to the list!  It's a really great take on a superhero show.  A little "bubble-gummy" at times but then turns surprisingly dark a minute later.  I think they do the "navigating high school" stuff pretty well and Brec is amazing in the titular role.

I'm not a huge fan of Luke Wilson and was skeptical but have to admit he's spot-on in the episodes I've seen so far.  Great interaction with Courtney in their scenes together.

The addition of Wildcat was great and I thought the actress was a great choice for Yolanda.  Looking forward to other characters coming into the fold (though mildly disappointed we don't get a female Hourgirl).

In terms of villains, I thought Brainwave was a little flat, but the portrayals of Ivo and Icicle are very good, IMO.

Can't wait to see more.  Hope it continues to be this strong going forward

ElF
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
10 Jun 2020 09:55 - 10 Jun 2020 10:05 #68317 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Stargirl
I have to agree, episodes 3 and 4 have kept up the quality.  They've both been really, really, good.

I've not really read the comic, so its all new to me generally.  By reading Twice's reviews, its nice to see that they are sticking "closely" to the source.

Sure, you have, as Lfan puts it  "bubble-gummy" , feel to it at times, but I'm ok with that.  I actually enjoy it :D   And in this case, it actually fits the story and tone of the world.  Because you also get that darker side rearing up in bursts.  So its a nice contrast.

I LOVE Brec Bassinger.  Her interaction with Luke Wilson, for me, is the core of the show, and it is fantastic to watch.  Both from a narrative point of view, and a meta one. 

I enjoy seeing this older, veteran actor playing off a younger, fresher, actress.  Although he is by far the best actor on the show, he doesn’t steal the scenes with Courtney.  And that’s a testament to Bassinger, who plays the character with great youthful idealism.  You buy their relationship.

As I’ve said, Wilson plays the sidekick role brilliantly.  I loved in this episode (episode 3) his investigation of Brainwave at the hospital.   Little things like that are great touches.

It also helps that the characters are written so well (so far), and consistently. 

Courtney, for example, is clearly the young, idealistic, and bratty teenager.  She’s 15 so (although exaggerated for story telling) makes sense.

The villains also are both clearly defined, and have some depth.  In this episode for example, we learn of Icicle’s motivation.  Its simple, clear and well defined.  And that’s ok.  There is only 13 episodes (as I understand it) of this series/season, so you have to make short-cuts.

Courtney and her mastery of the staff is another example. In the first episode she couldn’t control it.

But by the second, she was doing flips and jumping all over the place with it, even taking out Brainwave (although that looked like luck had something to do with it as well). This is fine, because unlike other shows, they set this stuff up with little nuggets throughout.  Courtney being into gymnastics, wanting to be a cheerleader, etc.  All this is great story telling, setup and payoff.

And you get this also in episode 4.  For example, little things like the Wizard's wife interacting with Pat, saying she is suspicious of her husbands death, and that she is leaving town.  And then right at the end, we see Pat back at the scrapyard, coming across her battered up car.  We don't need to see her being taken out.  Or a scene where the villain "talks" to her, then kills her.  WE CAN PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER, so ty show for treating us with some respect :)

Or the beginning of episode 4.  There is NOOOOO dialogue for the opening few minutes of the show.  Just a song and visuals.  And its testament to visual storytelling in a way you don't see a lot of on TV anymore.  You don't need to be beaten over the head with exposition, exposition, exposition all the time.  In nearly all cases - SHOW DON'T TELL, is better.  Seem most people working in movies and tv have forgotten this.

Wildcat was great :)  Again, nice to see payoff.  We were introduced to this character in the FIRST episode.  We didn't know exactly what she had done, and certainly not that she would be WILDCAT :)  So kudos to the show for that for, not only explaining all that, but doing so in a way that you weren't bludgeoned to death with exposition.

I also loved the introduction of Dr. Ito.  I don't know who the character is, but I WANT TO KNOW NOW lol :D   Sinister, great visual design straight out of a vintage comic book :P  And his two red assistants lol :P  Loved it :)

I could write for ages on this show tbh :)  I actually really am digging it :)  The production values are amazing for a TV show.  The series is shot beautifully, the directing is well paced, and everything flows.  You never feel there is filler in this show.

All in all, Stargirl is easily the best DC superhero show imo (even better than The Flash, which devolved into the Iris West show a while back, and I stopped watching).

Can they maintain this for the whole season and beyond?  I’m willing to find out tbh.

Gz so far to Geoff Johns and his crew.

Peace.

/K
Last edit: 10 Jun 2020 10:05 by kikass2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
10 Jun 2020 10:47 #68318 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Stargirl
I cant stand the SJW nonsense that the CW has been peddling. So I reluctantly watched Stargirl, having given up on every other CW show. To my surprise, the show is fun! Of course you can nit pick a few things, but the episodes that I watched, weren't preachy, no agendas....Just a fun story. 3 episodes in, im looking forward to more 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

More
10 Jun 2020 14:23 #68319 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Stargirl
Half way thru episode 3!
I am enjoying this show!!!!!!!!
The one thing that is killing me..........
That horrible, snarky kid Mike.
Pat is a terrible Father. That kid needs discipline and constancy.
Pat grounds him early in the episode, makes him take on a paper route then.........gives him 20 bucks and tells him to go downrtown for a snack.
I had to stop watching and take a break.
I hope the writers are not parents.
Other that that I love the Injustice Society.
Similar to IronMonger in Black Panther.
You may not agree with their methods and their goal but you understand where they are coming from..
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
10 Jun 2020 15:32 #68320 by kikass2014

The one thing that is killing me..........
That horrible, snarky kid Mike.

I have to confess, this too bothers me a bit.

He's probably the only character that doesn't feel "right".  He's suppose to be this kid, yet he sounds and talks like a 40 year old mob boss, who probably hung around with Sinatra LOL :D

Luckily he isn't part of the story (so far), and is really only in a handful of non-important scenes.

I agree with your point though :)

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
10 Jun 2020 18:46 #68321 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Stargirl

Markiehoe wrote: That horrible, snarky kid Mike.
Pat is a terrible Father. That kid needs discipline and constancy.
Pat grounds him early in the episode, makes him take on a paper route then.........gives him 20 bucks and tells him to go downrtown for a snack.
I had to stop watching and take a break.

This is actually pretty consistent with the source material. Although Mike was mostly an obnoxious brother, he was also very much a major pain in the butt and Pat had no clue how to deal with him.
In the comics, it didn't help that Pat, not knowing how to deal with Mike, pretty much sent him to military college as soon as his ex-wife decided that she didn't want to bother with the kid either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe, kikass2014

More
10 Jun 2020 19:01 - 10 Jun 2020 19:02 #68322 by kikass2014

This is actually pretty consistent with the source material. Although Mike was mostly an obnoxious brother, he was also very much a major pain in the butt and Pat had no clue how to deal with him.
In the comics, it didn't help that Pat, not knowing how to deal with Mike, pretty much sent him to military college as soon as his ex-wife decided that she didn't want to bother with the kid either.

Fair enough.  I stand corrected :)  

I would like to know however, not so much that he's obnoxious, but does he really talk in the comic like he does in the series?

I'm reminded of Dawson's Creek, where they were all suppose to be teens, yet spoke like middle aged adults :P   Especially little Joey Potter, who would spout monologues of psychobabble a girl her age would never know :D

Peace.

/K

P.S.  Not complaining, I loved Dawson's Creek :D  Well, the earlier seasons :)
Last edit: 10 Jun 2020 19:02 by kikass2014.

More
11 Jun 2020 02:10 #68327 by Markiehoe
Something just struck me.
This show is Post Crisis
Is it a stand alone show outside of the Arrowverse?

More
11 Jun 2020 17:53 #68331 by murdough
Replied by murdough on topic Stargirl

Markiehoe wrote: Something just struck me.
This show is Post Crisis
Is it a stand alone show outside of the Arrowverse?

yes and no. technically speaking, it's set on an Earth that's part of the new post-Crisis multiverse(the existence of which is unknown to the people of Earth-Prime/the main Arrowverse at present). nature abhors a vacuum and all that, this Earth filling the void that used to be home to the Arrowverse's previous Earth-2. there have been talks of eventually crossing over(many involved want it to happen), but if/when that happens, it won't be til next season at the earliest.

More
11 Jun 2020 19:41 - 11 Jun 2020 19:53 #68332 by Markiehoe

Stargirl Episode 4 was brilliant!
The best thing I have seen all year.
Wildcat's origin story was quite tragic and heartbreaking.
As the Father of a daughter and a Dad in general I was pretty disgusted with that families behavior.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 11 Jun 2020 19:53 by Markiehoe. Reason: add pic
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikass2014

More
13 Jun 2020 21:07 #68341 by jumperprime
Replied by jumperprime on topic Stargirl
Did anyone else notice that Mike namedropped his friend Jakeem? I suspect that at some point Mike will swipe the Thunderbolt pen from Courtney's room, not realizing what it really is. He just needed a pen and decided to swipe one from his stepsister. Then he lets Jakeem use it, Jakeem says "So cool" while holding it and out pops the Thunderbolt. Hilarity ensues until the JSA helps Jakeem Thunder get a handle on his new genie.

More
24 Jun 2020 12:05 - 24 Jun 2020 12:06 #68467 by Markiehoe
THE JUSTICE SOCIETY

Best episode of any CW show EVER!
This is what I have been waiting for all these years!
A show that is not afraid of it's comic book roots.
Comics accurate costumes.

The struggle to keep your identity secret.
Teens acting like teens not 20somethings acting like teens.

And to top it all off. A drop dead sexy supervillainess in a sexy costume.

Pat and Courtney's mission debriefing at the end of the episode had me laughing.

As usual the CW has completely dropped the ball with promotional material as these were the only two clear pictures I could easily find online for this episode.

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 12:06 by Markiehoe. Reason: Pic mix up
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395

More
24 Jun 2020 13:13 #68468 by kikass2014
I have to confess, this show has been constantly entertaining up to now.

Really good episode, waaaaayyyyyyy better then anything else on CW.  This being DC streaming probably helps it in that regard, but tbh, the writing, directing and just embracing the comic-book-ness of it all, is what makes it entertaining.

Its a comic book "drama" about a teenage girl, with teenage friends, dealing with themes of legacy, family, and growing up.  And its brilliantly portrayed.

Sure, you get the detractors going on about "diversity" and what not,  and you do have that in this show.  But here is the KEY POINT - you're not beaten over the head with it EVERY SINGLE STEP OF THE WAY.

So kudos to all those involved with this, great job by all (cast and crew).

Look forward to the next episode.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe

More
25 Jun 2020 10:40 #68472 by d_k_c
Replied by d_k_c on topic Stargirl
I thought to myself, a girl is starting as a high school QB....here we go. But then when you see how psychopathic her parents are, how committed her father is to her work out regiment, I was like....i can buy that. 

I have to say....so far so good....looking forward to seeing where they take it 

More
01 Jul 2020 13:56 #68512 by Markiehoe
Another GREAT episode!

Courtney, her Mom and Pat get in a slight disagreement over Pat teaching Courtney how to drive.

Meanwhile on the other side of town The Badguy and his daughter get in a heated argument over her becoming a killer supervillain!
Something about a school girl not being the least bit afraid to be in a dungeon really resonated with me.

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Sarge395, aguilauno, kikass2014

More
06 Jul 2020 19:59 #68564 by fats
Replied by fats on topic Stargirl
Hi All,

Stargirl has been confirmed for a second season and is to move to the CW

variety.com/2020/tv/news/stargirl-renewe...universe-1234698955/

this is good news

Fats
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Markiehoe, kikass2014

• fats
  • fats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
06 Jul 2020 20:52 #68565 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Stargirl

fats wrote: Hi All,

Stargirl has been confirmed for a second season and is to move to the CW

variety.com/2020/tv/news/stargirl-renewe...universe-1234698955/

this is good news

Fats

Second season is very good news.

The move to CW (presumably to be show-run from there)... not so sure about that. 

I figured one of its virtues was that it was produced by DC and hadn't fallen into the usual muck over at CW. 

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Jul 2020 01:29 #68567 by kikass2014
Yeah I'm not so sure the move to CW is actually a good thing, considering what the other shows there have become.

Which is a shame, as Stargirl is excellent imo.   The last couple of episodes have been great, with Cindy really coming to the fore.  Absolutely loving it and look forward to it every week.

Hopefully it doesn't get tainted with the CW stench when it makes the move.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

More
07 Jul 2020 01:47 #68568 by andyf
Replied by andyf on topic Stargirl
Another big problem with the show going to the CW is the likelihood that the production values will decline like Supergirls did after it moved from CBS to CW. 

More
07 Jul 2020 22:15 #68579 by shadar
Here's an old picture I found in my archives, dated 11 years ago. 

Shadar

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, Raa, slim36, aguilauno, Markiehoe, kikass2014, cristian01984, guimachajo1

• shadar
More
08 Jul 2020 02:39 #68580 by Gincognifo
Replied by Gincognifo on topic Stargirl

andyf wrote: Another big problem with the show going to the CW is the likelihood that the production values will decline like Supergirls did after it moved from CBS to CW. 

I'm not too concerned about that. DCU is a streaming service and not a first-tier one at that. I can't imagine they're able to put a much bigger budget into the show than the CW would be able to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar

More
08 Jul 2020 04:05 #68581 by shadar
My issue on the CW move would be far more the showrunner and writers than the special effects budget. 

Does the entire show runner and writing staff move with the show, as do the actors, or will we see changes in the creative staff?  Anyone have some insights?

Shadar 

• shadar
More
08 Jul 2020 12:53 #68585 by Markiehoe
Shiv part 2 was another excellent episode.
The CW literally produces NO promotional images for this show.
They really drop the ball here.

More
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds