Amount

any reviews of super ex yet?

22 Jul 2006 04:24 #6347 by ty110072
any reviews of super ex yet? was created by ty110072
any reviews of super ex yet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ty110072
  • ty110072's Avatar Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2006 11:08 #6348 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Saw the movie last night with Velvet,

It had its moments, like the flying f**k scene, but a lot of it dragged.

Uma Thurman did a good job with the material, but it was poor material. As everybody knows by now, she's a psycho. In her secret identity as a mousy woman, she can't get a man until she meets this dorky guy who's pushed into asking her out by his equally dorky friend, then goes crazy when the guy is attracted to his co-worker -- the only real nice person in the picture.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense; as G-Girl, Uma could pick up any guy she fancied, f**k his brains out, then find another guy as soon as she got tired of him. The business with the source of her superpowers, which sets up the denouement, is silly -- but no sillier than a lot of things in the comics. But the comedy is usually lame, and the mood goes from mean-spirited to miraculously goody-goody at the end. About the only good thing you can say about the concept is that it acknowledges that, hey, superheroines are sexual beings.

One thing missing: a disclaimer that no sharks were harmed during the production of the movie.

More
22 Jul 2006 21:08 #6350 by IronKnight
Replied by IronKnight on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Here's what the "critics" are saying.

Rotten Tomatoes "My Super-Ex Girlfriend" Review Site

The reaction to the movie was as I expected. However, there are some recurring themes with the reviews as to what was liked and what was not. Based on the how heavy this movie was advertised (which it wasn't compared to most others), the mixed reviews and so-so opening projected numbers give me hope.

IronKnight

More
22 Jul 2006 23:07 #6351 by randomness
Replied by randomness on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
ok i admit it, i actually went to the theater by myself to watch this movie :D

i agree some of the stuff seems dragged out and doesn't make alot of sense. Uma's character is definitely a bit on a the psycho side, but hey, if we get to see her use more of her powers just to get back at the guy, who am i to argue. The shark was a bit ridiculous but its well made with good effects so its cool. That last fight scene with uma and anna faris is sooo hot omg, i gotta buy the dvd when it comes out to watch that over in slo-mo :twisted:

anyone who visits this site will definitely enjoy this movie 8)

More
22 Jul 2006 23:14 #6352 by Hughster
The Star-Trib guy (Minneapolis) gave it ***.
The Pioneer Press guy (St. Paul) gave it *

On those multi-reviewer sites, it looked like it was a 50/100. Alot of 70-80 ratings, and alot of 20-30 ratings.

More
24 Jul 2006 01:49 #6353 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Apparently, it bombed in the box office. It opened in 7th overall in the domestic market, taking in only $8.7 million. Given how much it probably cost to make a movie with so many special effects, that means that it probably won't turn a profit.

Hollywood being what it is, they'll blame the concept and no one else will touch anything like this again for a very long time. :( Never mind the fact that it was done by a guy (Ivan Reitman) who hasn't had a successful movie since Ghostbusters (the first one).

YAGS

More
24 Jul 2006 05:07 #6354 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Don't count it out yet... remember Batman Returns. It was a bust at the box office but has done well in continued plays and the foreign market. Should be a winner on DVD.

Super-Ex will do well on DVD too, or so I predict.

The old traditional measure of success (first week or two in US box office) doesn't tell the story for all movies. And with time, its becoming less relevant, what with DVD, pay-for-view, iTunes likely to start selling movies, etc. etc.

But that said, it would have been nice if it had gone over the top right away.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
29 Jul 2006 23:09 #6394 by ltbelial
Replied by ltbelial on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
As far as the fetishist part goes its an awesome movie, can't expect anything much better coming from hollywood.
For a person that has not a super hero fetish this movie is really bad. I think it will bomb all the way since most people does not have our fetish I dont think of how it could do well. I eager for the DVD doh.

More
31 Jul 2006 06:32 #6403 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Mrs. Ace and I took it in today and she liked it as much or more than I did. The critics seem to be all over the place on this one. My guess is that the female reviewers will like it, and the "threatened" male reviewers will not. It is definately a "Chick Flick" so take your wifes/girlfriends/female co-workers to see it and rack up some points and enjoyment for yourselves.

It would get 5 Stars from most everyone on this site. There is an interesting part where they ponder what the "G" in G-Girl stands for and they came up with most of the same stuff that we did on our thread. Makes you wonder, but then, how many words in the English Language start with G that would be applicable here.

If Cars is a five and The Devil wears Prada (also a major chick flick) is a four, then Super-ex would rate about a 3.5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and clearly the critics are all over the map on this one. I have never seen a movie get an "A" from one critic and an "F" from another as this one has.

More
31 Jul 2006 07:04 #6404 by shadar
My wife really liked it as well, so I'll echo the same thought... it appeals to the ladies.

And of course, a lot of the concepts appeared to be lifted directly from the pages of the writing that we all know and love and in this genre. They touched on just about every button we've ever pushed as writers, from boobs and bullets to supersex, although in a humorous, PG-13 way.

Starting with that rather intense opening scene... the acting was surprisingly good and the writing was truly refreshing. Was it perfect... no way. But no movie has ever had as high an Ubergirl quotient as this one.

Which makes it six stars for those on this board. Once everyone has had a chance to see it, and we don't have to worry about spoilers, it would be interesting to discuss further.

Shadar

• shadar
More
31 Jul 2006 13:43 #6405 by brantley
Can Mrs. Ace or Mrs. Shadar please explain to me why women can enjoy seeing a superheroine portrayed as an emotional basket case? Not just as a woman with problems, which, Skietra knows, we all have -- but as a total freak in meltdown?

I mean, us guys enjoy Spiderman, and HE sure has a lot of issues. But he isn't a total dork, let alone a psycho. Same with Batman. I haven't seen the latest movie version of Superman, which I've read is also a chick flick, but I don't get the impression from reviews that he goes completely off the deep end.

Anyway, I gather that SUPER-EX bombed, and I'd think it woukd have done better if all the chicks had run out to see it. There've been any number of chick flicks like TERMS OF ENDEARMENT that have done loads better.

Maybe they could make a spin-off about Hannah -- she looks to have the kind of healhy super libido we all love, and I think she'd be more appealing in the fetish scenes.

More
31 Jul 2006 23:58 #6412 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Superwomen aside, I kinda enjoyed the movie just for itself. As long as you're not too critical, it'll make you laugh. At least, it made me laugh.

I think the exaggeration of Uma Thurman's character was what made it funny for a lot of females. Certain types of comedy movies are usually over the top; it's the absurdity that evokes laughter. I'm mostly thinking of things like American Pie, National Lampoon, and Harold and Kumar.

Anyway, I'm probably totally wrong.[/i]

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
01 Aug 2006 00:47 #6413 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?

Can Mrs. Ace or Mrs. Shadar please explain to me why women can enjoy seeing a superheroine portrayed as an emotional basket case? Not just as a woman with problems, which, Skietra knows, we all have -- but as a total freak in meltdown?

It's a COMEDY, Brantley.

(But I agree that a sequel focussing on Hannah would be cool.)

More
01 Aug 2006 01:42 #6414 by shadar
I don't know about that... Hannah was mostly forgettable to me, but Uma was wonderful. Both sides of her. And yes, it is a comedy, with all the exaggeration that comes with that.

That's why my wife liked it... none of this serious superheroine business. Most of the time, she really got into being super. Like the way she crashed down through his ceiling to focus the telescope to show his car in space. Just showing off. Hannah was way too serious.

Then the restaurant scene with the approaching missile where Jenny didn't want to leave him alone with Hannah. That kind of testy, grumbling dialog where we knew what was going tol do, but Hannah was clueless about their discussion.

So Uma can do comedy. Very well. Lots of laughs... its been a while since I was at a movie with so many grinning people walking out, still laughing.

Admitedly, I'm kind of in the boondocks now, not some big, serious city, so people have lower thresholds of 'having fun'. But that's the point. If you are laughing out loud in this movie, and after, then you're missing the point.

Shadar

• shadar
More
01 Aug 2006 04:30 #6416 by brantley
Well, Velvet and I just didn't think it was that funny. And we DID think that THE INCREDIBLES was funny.

More
01 Aug 2006 06:07 #6418 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?

Well, Velvet and I just didn't think it was that funny. And we DID think that THE INCREDIBLES was funny.

Well, okay then. To say that a comedy wasn't funny is a legitimate criticism. To talk about "My Super Ex" as if it belongs in the same bin as "Superman Returns" is comparing chalk and cheese.

More
01 Aug 2006 06:24 #6419 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Let me Scribe Mrs Ace's response. "Woman are more emotional than men and tend to express themselves more and she can identify with that. He (meaning you) obviously does not understand PMS. This was the HUMAN side of a female superhero." She very much identifeid with the dinner where Jenny just wanted to have a romantic evening with her guy, only to have work interupt it.

She enjoyed the bedroom scenes where the girls were completely in control and it was all about their pleasure and not the guy's who was completely at THEIR mercy.

Her favorite scene was where Luke Wilson whispered something in Uma's ear and then she appeared in her very sexy black outfit with cape and went out for some air, especially the "mile high club" part where again Uma was in total control.

She also loved all of Uma's G-Girl costumes.

And there you have the Mrs. Ace female perspective on this movie.

More
01 Aug 2006 22:07 #6425 by michealton
Replied by michealton on topic I have my ex on my computer.
I have the movie. I downloaded it it is in good quality. But I don't think the ftp will hold it . I will try though

More
02 Aug 2006 01:11 #6426 by ultragirl
Replied by ultragirl on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
I LIKED this movie. Very cute! My favorite part was the look on Wilson's face when they were having sexy. I laughed so hard! I'm not sure why the ending girl fight was so cool, I couldn't really see anything happening, but I guess it's a flavor.

More
02 Aug 2006 08:17 #6427 by dr lazarus
Replied by dr lazarus on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
I saw it over the weekend. I liked it. Of course I would've done some things differently if I was the director, but I think this is the best mainstream superbabe stuff I've seen since Superman II and Supergirl -- though I realize that's not saying a whole lot. :lol:

Ursa. Her time has come.
www.facebook.com/UrsaFans

More
02 Aug 2006 19:54 #6431 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
I absolutely loved it!

More
03 Aug 2006 13:01 #6434 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Anyone know where i can dowload clips of this espically ht e last 20 mins?

More
04 Aug 2006 22:38 #6440 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
It just opened in the UK and this was my night to take advantage of it.

I did enjoy it. As others have said, it pushed all the buttons it needed to and even had a few extras I hadn't known about from the reviews and the trailer. I won't talk about those here. Not yet, until everyone has seen it.

I agree with several of the other posters that this was definitely a chick flick. I thought the guy was completely emasculated in a nice, goofy kind of way. The kind of non-threatening man that one always sees in chick flicks if you see them (I generally don't -- my wife knows I don't like them and she forgives me for that sin).

The flying, the displays of strength, the domination by G-Girl, his amazement at her power were all well done. But what was missing for me (and let me know if anyone else felt this) was any sense that the guys resented a woman being the stronger one or envied them. This is always an undercurrent in my stories and is part of the erotic charge I get. This was completely absent in the movie and frankly I couldn't understand it, except to see it as part of the chick flick genre.

Now I know that someone will raise one particular scene and character to refute my point. I won't argue about this scene yet -- for spoiler reasons -- but I disagree that it counters my argument and we can discuss it once everyone has seen the movie.

Anyway, I do recommend that everyone see the movie. It's far from perfect, but it's the closest we'll get for a long time, at least until CF or I get our movie contract.

More
05 Aug 2006 00:06 #6441 by shadar
Well, it did have the obligatory throat lift.

Actually, it seemed like the writer had perused our various web pages and had carefully assembled a list of all the fetish items. The movie borrowed exactly zero from the last movie with a 'Kryptonian' grade femme -- the Supergirl movie of 1984 and nothing from the comics except G-girls Kryptonian powers.

My wife's view was that there was no way this could have been written without reading our stuff. Not sure if I'm willing to conceded that, but I'm not going to argue it either.

What's negative is that he just piled on all the bits and pieces that he'd gathered without regard to making a real story out of it. But it's still totally cool from a fetish perspective. I just wish he'd known how to thread things together into a story that warmed our hearts, and not just our fetish-sense.

Sort of like comparing the Borg genetic-engineering approach to the Velorian. Clumping on the kludgy bits and pieces as opposed to sculpting a perfection being.

The only other movie that Don Payne is credited with is MS. 45, a 1981 film about a deaf rape victim who goes on a killing rage. Surely there must have been a more experienced writer out there somewhere.

Bottom line... swap the writer for someone who could create a believable story and Luke Wilson for a less wimpy leading man and it could have been a killer movie.

But I'll definitely buy it on DVD for what it was good at. Uma and the super-stuff. This is an ubergirl classic.

Shadar

• shadar
More
05 Aug 2006 00:09 #6442 by shadar
Just realized that while Don Payne doesn't have other films to his name, he is a regular writer on The Simpsons.

That doesn't make me feel any better. Wrong guy for this movie.

Shadar

• shadar
More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds