Amount

any reviews of super ex yet?

02 Aug 2006 19:54 #6431 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
I absolutely loved it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2006 13:01 #6434 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Anyone know where i can dowload clips of this espically ht e last 20 mins?

More
04 Aug 2006 22:38 #6440 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
It just opened in the UK and this was my night to take advantage of it.

I did enjoy it. As others have said, it pushed all the buttons it needed to and even had a few extras I hadn't known about from the reviews and the trailer. I won't talk about those here. Not yet, until everyone has seen it.

I agree with several of the other posters that this was definitely a chick flick. I thought the guy was completely emasculated in a nice, goofy kind of way. The kind of non-threatening man that one always sees in chick flicks if you see them (I generally don't -- my wife knows I don't like them and she forgives me for that sin).

The flying, the displays of strength, the domination by G-Girl, his amazement at her power were all well done. But what was missing for me (and let me know if anyone else felt this) was any sense that the guys resented a woman being the stronger one or envied them. This is always an undercurrent in my stories and is part of the erotic charge I get. This was completely absent in the movie and frankly I couldn't understand it, except to see it as part of the chick flick genre.

Now I know that someone will raise one particular scene and character to refute my point. I won't argue about this scene yet -- for spoiler reasons -- but I disagree that it counters my argument and we can discuss it once everyone has seen the movie.

Anyway, I do recommend that everyone see the movie. It's far from perfect, but it's the closest we'll get for a long time, at least until CF or I get our movie contract.

More
05 Aug 2006 00:06 #6441 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Well, it did have the obligatory throat lift.

Actually, it seemed like the writer had perused our various web pages and had carefully assembled a list of all the fetish items. The movie borrowed exactly zero from the last movie with a 'Kryptonian' grade femme -- the Supergirl movie of 1984 and nothing from the comics except G-girls Kryptonian powers.

My wife's view was that there was no way this could have been written without reading our stuff. Not sure if I'm willing to conceded that, but I'm not going to argue it either.

What's negative is that he just piled on all the bits and pieces that he'd gathered without regard to making a real story out of it. But it's still totally cool from a fetish perspective. I just wish he'd known how to thread things together into a story that warmed our hearts, and not just our fetish-sense.

Sort of like comparing the Borg genetic-engineering approach to the Velorian. Clumping on the kludgy bits and pieces as opposed to sculpting a perfection being.

The only other movie that Don Payne is credited with is MS. 45, a 1981 film about a deaf rape victim who goes on a killing rage. Surely there must have been a more experienced writer out there somewhere.

Bottom line... swap the writer for someone who could create a believable story and Luke Wilson for a less wimpy leading man and it could have been a killer movie.

But I'll definitely buy it on DVD for what it was good at. Uma and the super-stuff. This is an ubergirl classic.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
05 Aug 2006 00:09 #6442 by shadar
Just realized that while Don Payne doesn't have other films to his name, he is a regular writer on The Simpsons.

That doesn't make me feel any better. Wrong guy for this movie.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
06 Aug 2006 01:09 #6444 by IronKnight
Replied by IronKnight on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
I saw the movie with my SO Thursday (I had no plans on watching this one alone :P ).

Yes - chick flick.

The film was hit-or-miss - with too much miss.

This movie spent way too much time on the wrong setups for the jokes.

The flashback/transformation was the best scene of the film (It would seem that Reitman and Payne may have read up on the genre - maybe from the old AU from the looks of things. Or maybe they just stole the entire sequence - as well as the power premise - from "Meteor Man" :lol: ).

And, no one here is "truly evil." That's what makes this film not live up to any potential:

They could not make Uma a 'super bad girl' (ala Ursa) if she's supposed to be one of the good guys (most of the critics roasted her over the coals for her behavior to begin with).

OTOH, Luke could not really be a 2-timing jerk (although he is 'confused' about who he likes...riiiight....). This would have taken MSEG down to the same level as J-Lo's "Enough" (and end up as relegated to the dustbin of history as such). And, if they made Luke any more likable, it makes everything Uma does to him that much less appealing for the General Public.

Even Bedlam isn't "Evil" - Although he does have "issues" - including stalking, obsessive compulsiveness, and so on (which make him and G-Girl perfect for each other), I can understand what he was feeling (I went through something similar in HS). Eddy Izzard was completely wasted in this film, and Prof. Bedlam wasn't fleshed out well.

Rainn Wilson needs to be thrown in the Hudson River. Preferably, by the girl in the gym he kept leering at (after she gets a "makeover", preferably 8) ).

Wanda Sykes should have dumped the script and kept walking. Her character was a real waste of time and her role could have been reduced to "The HR Director from Hell" with just 1 scene and one cameo - and the spirit of what her character was supposed to do would have been intact.

Anna Faris had the only "likeable" character in the story. But she doesn't look good as a blonde - or her hairstylist needs to be shot. Now, as a redhead... nice.

The ending was rushed, and thus, didn't make a whole lot of sense. Considering the writer, it felt like a long episode of the Simpsons, with Matt Saunders as Homer.

All this said, I loved the "Super" part of the movie. That said, I wonder how she and Hannah would handle Zod, Ursa, Non (and, just for fun, Jak-El) AND Nuclear Punk.

That's all (and it was too much to begin with. Oh well.)

IronKnight

More
06 Aug 2006 09:53 #6445 by monkeybone
Replied by monkeybone on topic Origin/Transformation scene
What's the origin/transformation scene like??? I haven't seen the film yet, but am curious. Does young Jenny start off as sort of a nerdy/glasses wearing girl like how Uma looks in her everyday guise? How's she get her powers? Thanks

More
06 Aug 2006 11:55 #6446 by shadar
SPOILER ALERT

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

She starts off as a nerdy teenage girl in her junior year of HS. She and her equally nerdy boyfriend are trying to lose their virginity in the backseat of a car (and not doing so well) when a meteor crashes by them.

She's got mousy brown hair, glssses and a mouth-full of braces.

They run to the crash site, and she touches the meteor. It explodes and transfers a strange radiation to her. It travels around her body like lightening. She quickly throws her glasses away, the braces pop off her now perfect teeth and her hair turns glorious blonde. And, in a true bit of fetish, her breasts more or less double in size.

Oh... and she starts to float up in the air.

Her boyfriend is staring at her the whole time, eyes as big as saucers.

Pure fetish.

And when she returns to school, she's gone from a loser nerd to a hot chick, leaving her long-time nerdy boyfriend behind (the only one who knows her secret).

Which sets up the final conflict in the story.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
07 Aug 2006 06:11 #6449 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Just saw it, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised.

From a fetish perspective, it was awesome. Everyone who has ever visited this forum MUST get this on DVD when it comes out. Uma was terrific, in every possible way. But don't wait for the DVD. This one's actually got some special effects that are worth seeing on the big screen first.

From just a general movie perspective, I thought it was pretty good, too. Not great, but an amusing comedy with some funny bits. It wasn't quite as much of a chick flick as I was expecting, either. Sort of, but not completely. Not enough to scare me off, anyway.

Some of the stuff that was supposed to be funny just didn't work, though. Like why was Wanda Sykes in this movie? And did anyone think Rainn Wilson as the annoying sidekick guy was even remotely funny? His character was necessary to play off of Luke Wilson (are they related?), but the character could have been done better.

But the parts where the main characters were the focus worked for me, and there were a couple of very funny parts. When you see it, be sure to stick around for the "cartoon" credits, and the scene that follows them. I think that cartoon had several of the funniest jokes of the movie.

And I disagree with IronKnight's comment that Anna Faris looked better as a redhead than a blonde. Both hair colors looked fake on her, but at least the blonde looked ok. The red looked like a badly faded dye job, and that's coming from a guy who generally prefers redheads. Maybe it's just that I like girls with natural red hair a lot, but girls with bad red dye jobs just bug me, and there's actually been a lot of that in comic book inspired movies lately (Spider-Man, X-Men, and even Josie & the Pussycats). Aren't there any natural redheads in Hollywood? Whatever happened to Angie Everhart? But I digress.

Moral of the story: Go see this movie on the big screen. Then go buy it on DVD. Tell all your friends to go see it. If this thing tanks too badly, Hollywood will blame the concept, and it'll be another 20 years before anyone does another movie like this again.

YAGS

More
14 Aug 2006 23:31 #6525 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Well. Mrs. Ace, Mrs. Shadar, Ultragirl and Evelyn are unanimous on this.

Next question: would you have liked the movie LESS or MORE if G-Girl hadn't been so screwed up in her secret identity?

More
15 Aug 2006 00:28 #6526 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?

Well. Mrs. Ace, Mrs. Shadar, Ultragirl and Evelyn are unanimous on this.

Next question: would you have liked the movie LESS or MORE if G-Girl hadn't been so screwed up in her secret identity?

That's like asking "Would Othello be a better play if the title character weren't so jealous?"

More
15 Aug 2006 05:42 #6527 by marknew742
Very funny Argo.

But to be honest, I would have enjoyed the movie more if G-Girl had a bit of a mean streak, rather than just being neurotic. Sadistic use of female superpowers can be very entertaining, I hear.

More
15 Aug 2006 06:20 #6528 by YAGS
Tossing his car into orbit, knocking a hole in his roof, frying his goldfish, making him lose his job, and throwing a shark at him isn't what you'd call mean?

I know what you mean (no pun intended), in that you wanted her to be more directly violent with him, but the way the movie played it actually makes more sense. Doing mean things that make his life hell without doing direct physical harm to him really is more along the lines of what most women think of as revenge.

Men punch people they're pissed at, but women are more likely to break their enemy's belongings. It's a cliche, and it's not true all the time, but it's more accurate than most cliches.

YAGS

More
15 Aug 2006 19:35 #6533 by marknew742
Well, no, that's not what I call mean. It's what I call trying to get his attention. There was no malice at all. Recall how quickly she melted when he said he wanted to get together again?

No, I'm talking about a more deeply seated mean streak. One where the response to his limp proposal for a truce would have been a slow smile, a sweet hug, lifting him in her oh so powerful arms, a quick nearly deadly squeeze, just for "a laugh", then taking him up high in the air for a little fun and demonstrating the power of every little portion of her body to destroy his helpless little self little by little.

Of course, in England, that would have lost the 12A rating.

Not my problem. I just write the stuff.

More
15 Aug 2006 23:54 #6534 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Now THAT is something that would definitely only come out of cf's or your directing.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
26 Aug 2006 14:45 #6640 by maxalfik2
Replied by maxalfik2 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Does Anna Faris have super powers in that film ??

More
26 Aug 2006 19:29 #6641 by shadar
Absolutely... Kryptonian grade powers in fact. But not until near the end.

shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
29 Aug 2006 08:53 #6651 by maxalfik2
I watched yesterday and i must say some really impressive f/x were used.

So when do we see Me ex... 2 ? 8)

More
29 Aug 2006 14:24 #6652 by YAGS

I watched yesterday and i must say some really impressive f/x were used.

So when do we see Me ex... 2 ? 8)

Not gonna happen. My question is when we're going to see a DVD of this one. No release date yet that I've seen. I'd expect it to hit stores by November, for the Xmas shopping season.

YAGS

More
01 Sep 2006 08:52 #6682 by maxalfik2

Not gonna happen.
YAGS

Are you sure? It seems that the film is quite succesfull so far so maybe they will make second part.

More
01 Sep 2006 14:26 #6683 by YAGS

Not gonna happen.
YAGS

Are you sure? It seems that the film is quite succesfull so far so maybe they will make second part.

??? Apparently, you and I have different definitions for the word "successful". It only made $22 million, which is pretty low, and it's not adding any to that total, since it's already gone from theaters. I wonder how much they spent on their big name actors and special fx. The critics hated it. Reviews from the general public were mixed at best.

The only thing that might save this thing would be DVD sales. Even if it does well there, I severely doubt it'll be enough to earn a sequel, especially since there's no obvious reason for one, from a plot perspective. This thing would've had to have been wildly successful by every measure to earn any sort of sequel.

YAGS

More
01 Sep 2006 19:41 #6684 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
The only "sequel" you are likely to come across will most likely appear on this web site. Might make a good long story workshop topic.

More
01 Sep 2006 21:03 #6687 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
It's just opened in England, and is getting panned there.

More
02 Sep 2006 00:19 #6688 by YAGS

The only "sequel" you are likely to come across will most likely appear on this web site. Might make a good long story workshop topic.

Have you noticed the topic for workshop 1.9? :P

Although honestly, I don't have any really good ideas for a sequel plot. Maybe watching it again on DVD once that comes out will inspire me more, but the DVD release date hasn't even been announced, so it'll be a while.

YAGS

More
02 Sep 2006 08:38 #6689 by shadar
For those who haven't seen the movie, but want to see a video of the opening scene, download the .avi here:

velorian.org/bend_mg.avi

Plays fine on my Mac using VLC (ignore warnings on format).

Probably fine on PC but haven't tried it. If you have trouble, let me know.

I would suggest right clicking and downloading to a directory and then playing around with it. (5.8MB)

Shadar

• shadar
  • Away
More
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds