Amount

any reviews of super ex yet?

06 Aug 2006 01:09 #6444 by IronKnight
Replied by IronKnight on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
I saw the movie with my SO Thursday (I had no plans on watching this one alone :P ).

Yes - chick flick.

The film was hit-or-miss - with too much miss.

This movie spent way too much time on the wrong setups for the jokes.

The flashback/transformation was the best scene of the film (It would seem that Reitman and Payne may have read up on the genre - maybe from the old AU from the looks of things. Or maybe they just stole the entire sequence - as well as the power premise - from "Meteor Man" :lol: ).

And, no one here is "truly evil." That's what makes this film not live up to any potential:

They could not make Uma a 'super bad girl' (ala Ursa) if she's supposed to be one of the good guys (most of the critics roasted her over the coals for her behavior to begin with).

OTOH, Luke could not really be a 2-timing jerk (although he is 'confused' about who he likes...riiiight....). This would have taken MSEG down to the same level as J-Lo's "Enough" (and end up as relegated to the dustbin of history as such). And, if they made Luke any more likable, it makes everything Uma does to him that much less appealing for the General Public.

Even Bedlam isn't "Evil" - Although he does have "issues" - including stalking, obsessive compulsiveness, and so on (which make him and G-Girl perfect for each other), I can understand what he was feeling (I went through something similar in HS). Eddy Izzard was completely wasted in this film, and Prof. Bedlam wasn't fleshed out well.

Rainn Wilson needs to be thrown in the Hudson River. Preferably, by the girl in the gym he kept leering at (after she gets a "makeover", preferably 8) ).

Wanda Sykes should have dumped the script and kept walking. Her character was a real waste of time and her role could have been reduced to "The HR Director from Hell" with just 1 scene and one cameo - and the spirit of what her character was supposed to do would have been intact.

Anna Faris had the only "likeable" character in the story. But she doesn't look good as a blonde - or her hairstylist needs to be shot. Now, as a redhead... nice.

The ending was rushed, and thus, didn't make a whole lot of sense. Considering the writer, it felt like a long episode of the Simpsons, with Matt Saunders as Homer.

All this said, I loved the "Super" part of the movie. That said, I wonder how she and Hannah would handle Zod, Ursa, Non (and, just for fun, Jak-El) AND Nuclear Punk.

That's all (and it was too much to begin with. Oh well.)

IronKnight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2006 09:53 #6445 by monkeybone
Replied by monkeybone on topic Origin/Transformation scene
What's the origin/transformation scene like??? I haven't seen the film yet, but am curious. Does young Jenny start off as sort of a nerdy/glasses wearing girl like how Uma looks in her everyday guise? How's she get her powers? Thanks

More
06 Aug 2006 11:55 #6446 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
SPOILER ALERT

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

She starts off as a nerdy teenage girl in her junior year of HS. She and her equally nerdy boyfriend are trying to lose their virginity in the backseat of a car (and not doing so well) when a meteor crashes by them.

She's got mousy brown hair, glssses and a mouth-full of braces.

They run to the crash site, and she touches the meteor. It explodes and transfers a strange radiation to her. It travels around her body like lightening. She quickly throws her glasses away, the braces pop off her now perfect teeth and her hair turns glorious blonde. And, in a true bit of fetish, her breasts more or less double in size.

Oh... and she starts to float up in the air.

Her boyfriend is staring at her the whole time, eyes as big as saucers.

Pure fetish.

And when she returns to school, she's gone from a loser nerd to a hot chick, leaving her long-time nerdy boyfriend behind (the only one who knows her secret).

Which sets up the final conflict in the story.

Shadar

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
07 Aug 2006 06:11 #6449 by YAGS
Replied by YAGS on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Just saw it, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised.

From a fetish perspective, it was awesome. Everyone who has ever visited this forum MUST get this on DVD when it comes out. Uma was terrific, in every possible way. But don't wait for the DVD. This one's actually got some special effects that are worth seeing on the big screen first.

From just a general movie perspective, I thought it was pretty good, too. Not great, but an amusing comedy with some funny bits. It wasn't quite as much of a chick flick as I was expecting, either. Sort of, but not completely. Not enough to scare me off, anyway.

Some of the stuff that was supposed to be funny just didn't work, though. Like why was Wanda Sykes in this movie? And did anyone think Rainn Wilson as the annoying sidekick guy was even remotely funny? His character was necessary to play off of Luke Wilson (are they related?), but the character could have been done better.

But the parts where the main characters were the focus worked for me, and there were a couple of very funny parts. When you see it, be sure to stick around for the "cartoon" credits, and the scene that follows them. I think that cartoon had several of the funniest jokes of the movie.

And I disagree with IronKnight's comment that Anna Faris looked better as a redhead than a blonde. Both hair colors looked fake on her, but at least the blonde looked ok. The red looked like a badly faded dye job, and that's coming from a guy who generally prefers redheads. Maybe it's just that I like girls with natural red hair a lot, but girls with bad red dye jobs just bug me, and there's actually been a lot of that in comic book inspired movies lately (Spider-Man, X-Men, and even Josie & the Pussycats). Aren't there any natural redheads in Hollywood? Whatever happened to Angie Everhart? But I digress.

Moral of the story: Go see this movie on the big screen. Then go buy it on DVD. Tell all your friends to go see it. If this thing tanks too badly, Hollywood will blame the concept, and it'll be another 20 years before anyone does another movie like this again.

YAGS

More
14 Aug 2006 23:31 #6525 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Well. Mrs. Ace, Mrs. Shadar, Ultragirl and Evelyn are unanimous on this.

Next question: would you have liked the movie LESS or MORE if G-Girl hadn't been so screwed up in her secret identity?

More
15 Aug 2006 00:28 #6526 by argonaut
Replied by argonaut on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?

Well. Mrs. Ace, Mrs. Shadar, Ultragirl and Evelyn are unanimous on this.

Next question: would you have liked the movie LESS or MORE if G-Girl hadn't been so screwed up in her secret identity?

That's like asking "Would Othello be a better play if the title character weren't so jealous?"

More
15 Aug 2006 05:42 #6527 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Very funny Argo.

But to be honest, I would have enjoyed the movie more if G-Girl had a bit of a mean streak, rather than just being neurotic. Sadistic use of female superpowers can be very entertaining, I hear.

More
15 Aug 2006 06:20 #6528 by YAGS
Tossing his car into orbit, knocking a hole in his roof, frying his goldfish, making him lose his job, and throwing a shark at him isn't what you'd call mean?

I know what you mean (no pun intended), in that you wanted her to be more directly violent with him, but the way the movie played it actually makes more sense. Doing mean things that make his life hell without doing direct physical harm to him really is more along the lines of what most women think of as revenge.

Men punch people they're pissed at, but women are more likely to break their enemy's belongings. It's a cliche, and it's not true all the time, but it's more accurate than most cliches.

YAGS

More
15 Aug 2006 19:35 #6533 by marknew742
Replied by marknew742 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Well, no, that's not what I call mean. It's what I call trying to get his attention. There was no malice at all. Recall how quickly she melted when he said he wanted to get together again?

No, I'm talking about a more deeply seated mean streak. One where the response to his limp proposal for a truce would have been a slow smile, a sweet hug, lifting him in her oh so powerful arms, a quick nearly deadly squeeze, just for "a laugh", then taking him up high in the air for a little fun and demonstrating the power of every little portion of her body to destroy his helpless little self little by little.

Of course, in England, that would have lost the 12A rating.

Not my problem. I just write the stuff.

More
15 Aug 2006 23:54 #6534 by oldHarmonyMotion
Replied by oldHarmonyMotion on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Now THAT is something that would definitely only come out of cf's or your directing.

• oldHarmonyMotion
More
26 Aug 2006 14:45 #6640 by maxalfik2
Replied by maxalfik2 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Does Anna Faris have super powers in that film ??

More
26 Aug 2006 19:29 #6641 by shadar
Absolutely... Kryptonian grade powers in fact. But not until near the end.

shadar

• shadar
More
29 Aug 2006 08:53 #6651 by maxalfik2
I watched yesterday and i must say some really impressive f/x were used.

So when do we see Me ex... 2 ? 8)

More
29 Aug 2006 14:24 #6652 by YAGS

I watched yesterday and i must say some really impressive f/x were used.

So when do we see Me ex... 2 ? 8)

Not gonna happen. My question is when we're going to see a DVD of this one. No release date yet that I've seen. I'd expect it to hit stores by November, for the Xmas shopping season.

YAGS

More
01 Sep 2006 08:52 #6682 by maxalfik2

Not gonna happen.
YAGS

Are you sure? It seems that the film is quite succesfull so far so maybe they will make second part.

More
01 Sep 2006 14:26 #6683 by YAGS

Not gonna happen.
YAGS

Are you sure? It seems that the film is quite succesfull so far so maybe they will make second part.

??? Apparently, you and I have different definitions for the word "successful". It only made $22 million, which is pretty low, and it's not adding any to that total, since it's already gone from theaters. I wonder how much they spent on their big name actors and special fx. The critics hated it. Reviews from the general public were mixed at best.

The only thing that might save this thing would be DVD sales. Even if it does well there, I severely doubt it'll be enough to earn a sequel, especially since there's no obvious reason for one, from a plot perspective. This thing would've had to have been wildly successful by every measure to earn any sort of sequel.

YAGS

More
01 Sep 2006 19:41 #6684 by ace191
Replied by ace191 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
The only "sequel" you are likely to come across will most likely appear on this web site. Might make a good long story workshop topic.

More
01 Sep 2006 21:03 #6687 by brantley
Replied by brantley on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
It's just opened in England, and is getting panned there.

More
02 Sep 2006 00:19 #6688 by YAGS

The only "sequel" you are likely to come across will most likely appear on this web site. Might make a good long story workshop topic.

Have you noticed the topic for workshop 1.9? :P

Although honestly, I don't have any really good ideas for a sequel plot. Maybe watching it again on DVD once that comes out will inspire me more, but the DVD release date hasn't even been announced, so it'll be a while.

YAGS

More
02 Sep 2006 08:38 #6689 by shadar
For those who haven't seen the movie, but want to see a video of the opening scene, download the .avi here:

velorian.org/bend_mg.avi

Plays fine on my Mac using VLC (ignore warnings on format).

Probably fine on PC but haven't tried it. If you have trouble, let me know.

I would suggest right clicking and downloading to a directory and then playing around with it. (5.8MB)

Shadar

• shadar
More
03 Sep 2006 10:17 #6703 by SMV
Replied by SMV on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Great !!!

I can't wait to see it on screen !!

More
08 Oct 2006 19:53 #6979 by YAGS
I just checked amazon.com, and the American DVD release date is showing as December 19. So they're not releasing it early enough for the Christmas shopping season, and they're not waiting long enough for a Valentines ad push.

In other words, they've given up on even trying to make a profit on the DVD, so they're just releasing it before New Years so the cost of copying and distributing it will go on the books this year.

YAGS

More
09 Oct 2006 20:15 #6983 by pwrhaus8
Replied by pwrhaus8 on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?

I just checked amazon.com, and the American DVD release date is showing as December 19. So they're not releasing it early enough for the Christmas shopping season, and they're not waiting long enough for a Valentines ad push.

In other words, they've given up on even trying to make a profit on the DVD, so they're just releasing it before New Years so the cost of copying and distributing it will go on the books this year.

YAGS, I will not dispute that studio may be trying to bury costs. Having worked in retail, I would point out two things.

1) The single biggest week saleswise for most retailers is the week between Christmas Day and New Years Day. Any copies of MSEG have as good of chance to sell the week after Christmas as they do the week before Christmas.

2) This is the time of the year in which there are no good release dates for underperforming theatrical releases. During November and December retailers will devote most of their shelf space to higher grossing summer movies, re-release of popular films (i.e., the recent Scarface special edition), and TV series. MSEG will not receive much attention. January and February are two of the slowest months in retail even with Valentine’s Day related sales, so that isn’t a good option. The producers probably need to recover their financial losses as fast as possible, so they can’t hold the DVD release until March or April, either. I haven’t studied the upcomong DVD release calendar, but I would speculate December 19 may be as good of a date as MSEG can possibly have.

More
12 Oct 2006 07:46 #7001 by IronKnight
Replied by IronKnight on topic Re: any reviews of super ex yet?
Here's a little more information on what MSEG will have inside of the DVD release:

www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/my-super-ex-girlfriend.html

Granted, it will never get the LOTR 7-disc bloat-job, DVDs I produce on my computer have more content than this. And I will leave it at that.

Iron Knight

More
12 Jan 2007 12:24 #7891 by Cycore
My Super Ex-Girlfriend: Review (sorry, long)

I finally got around to watching the movie, afterward I found myself very confused... I loved all the strength scenes and superpowers, that was a given, but as a whole, did it rank as a good movie? At that moment, it dawned on me for the first time, how experimental the movie was.

The focus of the movie seemed to wander, wanting to be both a superhero flick and a comedy romance. It had all the elements of a classic comic book movie, origin, obstacles, villain, and as wonderful as all those superpower moments are, they eat up a lot of screen time. Comedies and especially romantic ones, usually are dead determined to run no longer than an hour and a half, when films featuring super-powered characters usually meet or exceed the two hour mark of a typical action movie.

The end result is a film that seems far too short and a rushed telling of a pretty interesting story. Most of the scenes, are over too quickly to even remember what they were about... that really doesn't work well with superheroes and superheroines, who on screen are supposed to be the focal eye candy. But unless there is a split screen effect, the camera can either follow the superheroine, or what's happening while she's "doing her thing". I would have liked if a lot more focus was on the heroine herself, and the feats she performs, but to work as a romantic comedy, they needed to talk about her behind her back, so she'd be off screen, a lot. In the end they had to pick and choose what to show and what to hint at, to tell the story.

It is very hard to rate this movie. If you treat it, or compare it to one of the two main genres it touches, it feels lacking and incomplete. And with no other serious Superhero Comedys to refer to, say for Mystery Men (oh god no!), how would one rank it?

Guess what, it IS a good movie, but not on it's first viewing. I had to watch it a second time to realize it. Purely as a Romantic Comedy or a Superheroine movie, it feels incomplete. Whatever reason got someone into that theatre to watch it, unless they are an avid fan of both genres, they will surely be disappointed by some small margin. Once you've seen it and there is no further expectation, (which probably was mixed to begin with since I can't really compare this movie to anything else I've ever seen), you can watch it again and enjoy it for what it is. You'll laugh at the jokes you found funny the first time around, you'll smile at the moments you consider "guilty pleasures" and you'll surely thank yourself for taking it up for a second viewing, as it will instantly grow on you as something you wish to show others.

The type of movies that need to be seen multiple times to truly enjoy them, have the highest replay value, but expectedly don't fare well at the box-office, since people would have to shill out more money, on something they aren't sure if they liked the first time around. So, the next time they try to launch another film into the Superheroine Romantic Comedy genre, I suggest they get enough money shots, so people will return for a second viewing.

The first time watching it, I found the credit animations at the end to be the best part of the film. The second time watching however, it's all very enjoyable!

More
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds