Amount

List of TV series with a strong female lead

28 Feb 2017 18:29 - 28 Feb 2017 18:32 #52869 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead
Somehow, Uma Thurman in My Super Ex-Girlfriend got lost off these lists.

We actually had two superfemmes in that movie... Uma as G-Girl and Anna Faris as Hannah. The movie ended with two guys being a bit emasculated (but not in a mean way) by having girlfriends who darted off at odd times, leaving their purses with the men as they saved airliners in trouble, or whatever.

Lets hear it for G-Girl...

And Hannah (Anna) who turns into a very enthusiastic redhead when she's super-powered:

Not to forget this movie poster:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 18:32 by shadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erikphandel, Monty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
28 Feb 2017 18:37 - 28 Feb 2017 18:38 #52871 by shadar
Just realize this was supposed to be TV shows, not movies. Sorry.

Maybe we need a thread for that and move this over there.

Shadar
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 18:38 by shadar.

• shadar
More
28 Feb 2017 19:00 #52874 by njae

shadar wrote: Just realize this was supposed to be TV shows, not movies. Sorry.

Shadar

Don't we have entire forum sections for both? A bit redundant since the Supergirl TV show also has a subforum but I do remember there being subforums for pretty much every kind of fiction that could contain ubergirls.

More
28 Feb 2017 19:07 #52876 by lfan

njae wrote:

Shadar

Don't we have entire forum sections for both? A bit redundant since the Supergirl TV show also has a subforum but I do remember there being subforums for pretty much every kind of fiction that could contain ubergirls.

He means a self-contained running list of ubergirl MOVIES. Not redundant at all.....

ElF

More
28 Feb 2017 19:11 #52877 by shadar

njae wrote:

Shadar

I suppose there are pigeon holes for everything in the Forum (way too may, IMHO), but as usual, we all just follow along with any conversation of interest that gets started, in whatever sub-forum. That's the nice thing about the home screen list of active topics -- it's easy to just join in.

Even if the topics sometimes lurch off track. That's usually OK for me as long as it's still interesting. The nature of conversation is that it wanders.

Shadar

• shadar
More
28 Feb 2017 20:11 #52878 by njae
I think "The Secret Circle" was from 2011/12 and not from 2003. Too bad that one only lasted one season, but hey this got us Malia on Teen Wolf.

Speaking of which, the ensemble cast rule feels a bit too vague when you compare certain series. If I look at "The nine lives of Cloe King" and "Shadowhunters" I see female main characters - that always have a man for the fighting scenes. Men that were the same type of superhuman than the main girl to boot making her essentially part of an ensemble cast of equals. The worst part of the Supergirl Season 2 can be summed up as becoming more like these shows and less like it was in season 1. I remember commenting on Cloe King and how Teen Wolf outlived it despite having the exact same plot. But looking back at it this plot was just so much better executed and we did get increasing numbers of ubergirls as the seasons progressed. Too bad they rarely got to shine (yet still were more imposing than the aforementioned main characters).

Another mention would be Salem (2014?) with it's female lead Mary Sibley.

More
28 Feb 2017 20:24 #52879 by Pepper
Replied by Pepper on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead
Eastwick (based on The Witches of Eastwick) ran for one season in 2009-10.

More
28 Feb 2017 20:29 - 28 Feb 2017 21:07 #52880 by Monty
Has "Charmed" been mentioned? Not one but three super-powered femmes. I thought Prue had the coolest of the powers, especially when she used her stare to move whatever she wanted. Paige after that. Phoebe was a bit of a disappointment and of course, Billie in the belt episode.
There's an um.. special clip of Billie / Kaley Cuoco I might try find a link to...found it...

breastexpansion.be/2009/04/charmed-be/#podPressPlayerSpace_1
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 21:07 by Monty.

More
28 Feb 2017 20:30 #52881 by j2001
Thanks a lot for your partecipation!
I've updated the list with your suggestions once again, it's quite long now!
I've also added Wikipedia links for each entry.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: By the expanded definition, Stranger Things isn't a stretch. I'd question Once Upon a Time more as there are multiple people with powers, and they aren't all women. There is a lot of girl power on the show though. But if that's the criteria, then I'd offer up Westworld (to be non-spoilery as possibe, given that it's Westworld, people should know the basic plot arc of robots run amok. The simpliest thing to say is that the androids that are the most independent, and therefor exhibit acutal power, are women.).

Dark Matter should qualify despite the ensemble cast. Two is unique (* spoilers). It's an important arc in S1 and S2.

Dark Matter's synopsis reads as follows: "A group of six people with no memory of who they are or where they came from wake up on a starship called the Raza. Naming themselves One through Six in the order of their awakening, they stabilize their vessel and begin trying to figure out what happened to them."

It doesn't seem to be centered on the female character, apparently. I get that she's important and powerful, but we could say that of Daenerys from GoT as well. But I didn't watch the show so I'm not sure how it develops.

I also haven't seen Once Upon A Time. According to the synopsis it looks like it's centered on Jennifer Morrison's character, the daughter of Snow White and the Prince, and that's why I added it. But if this is not the case we can surely write it off.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Charlie's Angels?

I kind of wanted to avoid that because the girls there are really not that special. But I guess it fits.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Cleverhead (2016)

Are you sure the name is right? I couldn't find anything with that name.

• j2001
  • j2001's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2017 20:38 #52882 by j2001

njae wrote: I think "The Secret Circle" was from 2011/12 and not from 2003.

You're right, my mistake. Fixing it now.

njae wrote: Speaking of which, the ensemble cast rule feels a bit too vague when you compare certain series. If I look at "The nine lives of Cloe King" and "Shadowhunters" I see female main characters - that always have a man for the fighting scenes. Men that were the same type of superhuman than the main girl to boot making her essentially part of an ensemble cast of equals.

Yes, unfortunately it's impossible to make a very precise, watertight rule. Not that it needs to be, it's not like we're making rocket science. It's just a list of TV series.

My point was that there is a huge lot of TV series featuring strong/special/powerful women within big casts. In recent years, almost any sci-fi series has some girls kicking ass. If we were to add each series which featured a powerful woman at some point, the list would become endless and, frankly, pointless. I wanted to keep it limited to shows centered around a strong female or a group of strong females. If you guys agree, of course.

• j2001
More
28 Feb 2017 21:11 #52883 by lfan

Monty wrote: Has "Charmed" been mentioned? Not one but three super-powered femmes. I thought Prue had the coolest of the powers, especially when she used her stare to move whatever she wanted. Paige after that. Phoebe was a bit of a disappointment and of course, Billie in the belt episode.
There's an um.. special clip of Billie / Kaley Cuoco I might try find a link to...found it...

breastexpansion.be/2009/04/charmed-be/#podPressPlayerSpace_1

There were two "superheroine" episodes of Charmed, I believe: Witches in Tights & Battle of the Hexes ("Billie in the Belt")....

ElF

More
28 Feb 2017 23:00 #52884 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead

j2001 wrote: Thanks a lot for your partecipation!
I've updated the list with your suggestions once again, it's quite long now!
I've also added Wikipedia links for each entry.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: By the expanded definition, Stranger Things isn't a stretch. I'd question Once Upon a Time more as there are multiple people with powers, and they aren't all women. There is a lot of girl power on the show though. But if that's the criteria, then I'd offer up Westworld (to be non-spoilery as possibe, given that it's Westworld, people should know the basic plot arc of robots run amok. The simpliest thing to say is that the androids that are the most independent, and therefor exhibit acutal power, are women.).

Dark Matter should qualify despite the ensemble cast. Two is unique (* spoilers). It's an important arc in S1 and S2.

Dark Matter's synopsis reads as follows: "A group of six people with no memory of who they are or where they came from wake up on a starship called the Raza. Naming themselves One through Six in the order of their awakening, they stabilize their vessel and begin trying to figure out what happened to them."

It doesn't seem to be centered on the female character, apparently. I get that she's important and powerful, but we could say that of Daenerys from GoT as well. But I didn't watch the show so I'm not sure how it develops. The show focuses on six people, one of whom is hte leader and superhuman (female). So it rides up against this. I guess other will have to chime in: does it fit the concept or not? It's a _bit_ diluted with the other cast.

I also haven't seen Once Upon A Time. According to the synopsis it looks like it's centered on Jennifer Morrison's character, the daughter of Snow White and the Prince, and that's why I added it. But if this is not the case we can surely write it off.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Charlie's Angels?

I kind of wanted to avoid that because the girls there are really not that special. But I guess it fits.

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: Cleverhead (2016)

Are you sure the name is right? I couldn't find anything with that name.

I can see leaving off Charlies Angels. It might even be the definition of when you'd leave off a show with "normal" humans and when you'd include one. Alias vs Charlies Angels. There's a level of Kick Ass that the Angels lack. As you said, we have to try to keep the list at least a _bit_ targeted.

Gack it's CRAZYHead. I must have been blanking out. www.imdb.com/title/tt6038584/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 As I've said, I've not see it yet.

Hm. I think if you want to be pure, you should leave both Dark Matter and Once. Emma Swan is a central focus for Once Upon A Time, but she's mostly powerless (at least initally) and there are lots of other people with powers (the most powerful character in the show is also a man). There are lots of stories going on that she's not the focus of.

Dark Matter, is similar in that there are lots of stories going on. The Android (female) qualifies here, and does Two (who is also the leader). Both are unique (in the first season), and are focal points, but not THE focal point as in most of the rest of the shows on the list. Have we talked about Once Upon a time here? I know we talked about Dark Matter because of the Android. I think that's another unoffical test. I'd say Dark Matter is closer than Firefly (esp since River's story is so late in the game), but also might be one of the edge tests to say "if it's this far out, we leave it off".

There is certainly a great deal of difference between Wonder Woman or even Dark Angel (which has a bit of ensemble and others with powers) and Dark Matter or Once. If the idea is to find shows more like Wonder Woman and Isis ... leave them off.

(Aside: I'd forgotten just how hot Isis was (and I think she's hotter in video than in still pictures). I watched an episode of Tabitha online as I don't think i've ever seen one. She's quite hot herself.)

And yes, Let's do movies next (in another thread).
The following user(s) said Thank You: j2001

More
01 Mar 2017 02:44 #52886 by castor
Replied by castor on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead

j2001 wrote:

njae wrote: I think "The Secret Circle" was from 2011/12 and not from 2003.

You're right, my mistake. Fixing it now.

njae wrote: Speaking of which, the ensemble cast rule feels a bit too vague when you compare certain series. If I look at "The nine lives of Cloe King" and "Shadowhunters" I see female main characters - that always have a man for the fighting scenes. Men that were the same type of superhuman than the main girl to boot making her essentially part of an ensemble cast of equals.

Thats a bit harsh to Cloe King-yeah that happened certainly but for most of the episodes it was centered on her. A lot shows recently have done the "Saved by a guy" thing, but if i am being charitable i will say thats in part to build up the main character when that doesn't happen.

More
02 Mar 2017 04:38 - 02 Mar 2017 04:39 #52905 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead
UFO (1970) EPISODE Psychobombs has a possessed woman taking over the base with super strength. not a lead character so may not count.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2017 04:39 by slim36.

More
02 Mar 2017 22:56 #52923 by rebel4life
Replied by rebel4life on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead

slim36 wrote: UFO (1970) EPISODE Psychobombs has a possessed woman taking over the base with super strength. not a lead character so may not count.

Yeah, I remember this (barely) too. Thanks for the heads-up!

• rebel4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2017 08:31 - 03 Mar 2017 09:04 #52938 by slim36
Replied by slim36 on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead

transcript explanation of"Psychobomb"

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 03 Mar 2017 09:04 by slim36.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rebel4life

More
03 Mar 2017 19:17 - 04 Mar 2017 12:39 #52966 by castor
Some more that came to mind:

Girl With Something Extra(1973)
Small Wonder(1985)
The Fairies (2000)
Highlander: The Raven(1998)
Guinevere Jones(2002)
Rosalka(2000)-which may not count as its in spanish and i have never seen but sounds werdily amazing

Also in 2017 where getting a Tv Version of let

Let the Right one in on TNT
Last edit: 04 Mar 2017 12:39 by five_red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: j2001, rebel4life

More
05 Mar 2017 19:29 #52992 by j2001

castor wrote: Some more that came to mind:

Small Wonder(1985)
The Fairies (2000)
Guinevere Jones(2002)
Rosalka(2000)-which may not count as its in spanish and i have never seen but sounds werdily amazing

Dude, how do you find all these series? I mean, do you have a secret stash or what? D:
"Girl With Something Extra" seems awesome, I wish this kind of series could be easily found online.

The only one I'm not going to add is The Fairies, if you mean the ABC series. It's an educational series starring two girls in a cheap carnival costume meant to teach basic things to pre-school children, I know I said series for kids are all right but come on!

@TwiceOnThursdays: thanks for the heads up. So I'm removing Once Upon A Time and adding Crazyhead =)

• j2001
More
30 Mar 2017 22:25 #53423 by j2001
Added Lightning Point (Alien Surf Girls) (2012), from the same creators of H2O Just Add Water.
Both very likeable shows for young teenagers, recommended for some light fun and eye candy (most of the actresses are crazy hot - Jessica Green, Phoebe Tonkin, Cariba Heine, Indiana Evans...)

• j2001
More
30 Mar 2017 23:07 #53425 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic List of TV series with a strong female lead

j2001 wrote: Added Lightning Point (Alien Surf Girls) (2012), from the same creators of H2O Just Add Water.
Both very likeable shows for young teenagers, recommended for some light fun and eye candy (most of the actresses are crazy hot* - Jessica Green, Phoebe Tonkin, Cariba Heine, Indiana Evans...)

* Crazy Hot w/ Austrialian accents. Extra nice. ;-)

I might have to see if i can find an episode or so of this. Thanks.

More
31 Mar 2017 12:34 #53432 by j2001

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

j2001 wrote: Added Lightning Point (Alien Surf Girls) (2012), from the same creators of H2O Just Add Water.
Both very likeable shows for young teenagers, recommended for some light fun and eye candy (most of the actresses are crazy hot* - Jessica Green, Phoebe Tonkin, Cariba Heine, Indiana Evans...)

Don't tell anyone but I watched them on Netflix and I liked h2o so much I had to buy the box set. I'm in love with Cariba Heine :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfan, Monty

• j2001
More
31 Mar 2017 14:52 #53435 by castor
It realize if where limiting ourselves to english language stuff, that really means like 5 countries(Uk, canada, US, NZ and Aus). But one of the suprising things to me about this list is the number of Australian Shows here.

Its a big country obviously, but not a huge Tv industry-but i am seeing at least 6 shows from there. A lot centered on kids stuff-but thats kinda of impressive.

More
31 Mar 2017 15:03 #53436 by andyf

castor wrote: Some more that came to mind:

Small Wonder(1985)
The Fairies (2000)
Guinevere Jones(2002)

Let the Right One In is going to series? Where was that reported?

More
31 Mar 2017 18:38 - 31 Mar 2017 18:55 #53441 by Monty

j2001 wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote:

Don't tell anyone but I watched them on Netflix and I liked h2o so much I had to buy the box set. I'm in love with Cariba Heine :D

Yup, Cariba would have made a great Supergirl with her Australian accent standing out in the U.S. on foreign territory even although she is Kryptonian. It would have been a nice measure, and her figure beats Melissa's when it comes to a Supergirl's body.

Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 18:55 by Monty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, j2001, TwiceOnThursdays

More
01 Apr 2017 12:44 #53463 by j2001

castor wrote: It realize if where limiting ourselves to english language stuff, that really means like 5 countries(Uk, canada, US, NZ and Aus). But one of the suprising things to me about this list is the number of Australian Shows here.

Its a big country obviously, but not a huge Tv industry-but i am seeing at least 6 shows from there. A lot centered on kids stuff-but thats kinda of impressive.

Well, English-speaking countries will always have an advantage because they can win a production budget bigger than what would be acceptable for their market for the sole reason their product will be marketable worldwide. An Aussie show has the chance to be sold in the USA, in the UK and in Canada without adding localization costs because of the English language. H2O is a great example of a show that started small and then gained an increasingly bigger budget thanks to a worldwide success.
Without a huge market to appeal to it's impossible to secure the kind of costly FX a sci-fi TV show requires. I think that's why sci-fi productions aren't big outside of the English-speaking world.

But it's not just that. As you noted, there are several Aussie shows for kids with powerful girls. Guess what? There's always one guy behind them: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_M._Shiff
This guy, now in his seventies, quitted his job as a lawyer to produce engaging shows for kids and young teenagers most of which are about girls with powers: Ocean Girl (1994), The New Adventures of Ocean Girl (2000), Cybergirl (2001), H2O (2006), The Elephant Princess (2008), Lightning Point (2012), Mako Mermaids (2013).
I think he could be a honorary member of this community :laugh:

andyf wrote: Let the Right One In is going to series? Where was that reported?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In_(TV_series)

Monty wrote: Yup, Cariba would have made a great Supergirl with her Australian accent standing out in the U.S. on foreign territory even although she is Kryptonian. It would have been a nice measure, and her figure beats Melissa's when it comes to a Supergirl's body.

Very nice shot of Cariba! (The second pic is Claire Holt's).

I agree that Cariba would have made a great Supergirl. Her blue eyes are incredible.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

• j2001
More
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds