Medusa??????

29 Aug 2017 17:15 #56015 by Markiehoe
Medusa?????? was created by Markiehoe
The Bastards shaved off Medusa's hair!
They took away her super power!
WTF were they thinking?

www.thewrap.com/marvels-inhumans-medusa-shaved-head-wig-video/
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Markiehoe
  • Markiehoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Aug 2017 17:35 #56017 by shadar
Replied by shadar on topic Medusa??????

Markiehoe wrote: The Bastards shaved off Medusa's hair!
They took away her super power!
WTF were they thinking?

www.thewrap.com/marvels-inhumans-medusa-shaved-head-wig-video/

Since they couldn't do the CGI correctly (hair is very hard, apparently), they decided to get rid of it entirely. Or at least that's one theory.

Not a new theme. How many times did Supergirl lost her powers in the 1970's comic books? Or briefly in every appearance since. It goes on and on and on.

At least in the case of SG, the writers wanted to explore Kara the human (and we might see more of that on TV), but Kara as a human isn't interesting to me. Screw exploring what it's like to be human. I already know. But to explore being an Inhuman (in Medusa's case) or a Kryptonian is very entertaining.

But maybe that's just me...

Shadar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markiehoe

• shadar
  • Uberposter par Excellence
  • Uberposter par Excellence
More
30 Aug 2017 02:10 #56040 by TwiceOnThursdays
Replied by TwiceOnThursdays on topic Medusa??????
I'm surprised that in that I don't think this has been done to Medusa before.

There's just certain things that spring to mind with some characters. Klaw (and Black Bolt) have them fight Dazzler who absorbs sound. Have Dazzler fight Daredevil. (etc) Medusa, everyone cuts their hair, and that's her power ... so it makes sense that _eventually_ someone would cut her hair.

I wonder if the hair on her head is the only hair she can control .....

It is an overused trope to strip female heroes of their power for prolonged periods. It happens to the men, but generally not as frequently and (usually) not for long. Superman has lost his powers a few times. Compare to how often Power Girl or Supergirl have lost/had powers on the fritz. Then remember that there are LOT more Superman stories so that disparity is even greater.

OTH, this is a good opportunity to demonstrate who Medusa REALLY is (if it's written well). Let's hope they use it. There is another trope to do that to a hero and then build them back up (Thor w/o his hammer, Drunk Tony Stark gives up armor, Stark loses his company (his REAL super-power is $$$$$$), break Batman's back, etc.).

Some of the stories where the super soldier serum runs out are stupid, some are GREAT Cap stories. Let's hope they tell a good Medusa story with this. It does look like she's going to kick a bit of ass w/o hair.

Honestly, I don't know what to think of Inhumans. Some comic book fans seem prepped to hate it before anything came out, and are hating everything they see as a self-fulling prophecy. I'm going to have to watch some to make up my mind.

OTH -- Lockjaw. Always a good thing.

More
30 Aug 2017 10:19 #56047 by Markiehoe
Replied by Markiehoe on topic Medusa??????
They take away her power in the first episode.
The most powerful female Inhuman gets her power taken away from her in the first episode.
The first episode.

It just gave me a sour taste.
Totally turned me off.

And on a visual note.
I like my Superheroines to be very pretty.
Aesthetically she looks awful with the Buzz Cut.
I don't even want to look at her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Aug 2017 11:00 #56049 by Helstar
Replied by Helstar on topic Medusa??????
It probably costed them a ton of money to render CGI hairs, and with this cutting idea... they solved the problem.

More
30 Aug 2017 12:45 #56050 by Markiehoe

Helstar wrote: It probably costed them a ton of money to render CGI hairs, and with this cutting idea... they solved the problem.

and in the process lost me as a viewer.
This now ranks up there with a Peril video where the Superheroine is depowered so she can be humiliated and tortured.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadar, SCOTT R

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Aug 2017 18:30 - 30 Aug 2017 18:34 #56056 by Helstar
I agree. I will still see it because of Crystal, but this does not seem a good direction already before the premiere episode. Medusa also looks ugly with short hairs but that's my own problem (I only like girls with mid-long hairs ^^; !)

To think that she was even the model/inspiration for one of the my top fav "one shot episode" villainess ever (eventhough she's from a children-aimed cartoon), Hair Razor fairlyoddparents.wikia.com/wiki/Hair_Razor
Last edit: 30 Aug 2017 18:34 by Helstar.

More
30 Aug 2017 19:14 #56057 by castor
Replied by castor on topic Medusa??????
There is a scene in Winter Solder where Captian America and Black Widdow are going through a Mall.

Simple easy to do scene. Black Widdow is wearing kind of a hoody to disguise her identity.

When they filmed it though in one bit on the ground the hoody is up, in another bit latter on an escelator the hoody is a little bit down. A flub, but a very minor one-it happens all the time in movies-i don't belive they did the thing when they goes back to up.

They also decided they didn't quite like the angle of it.

So they spent about a 100,000 dollars to digitially add a hoody to her head in that scene.

When Marvel in its movies wants to change something, wants to fix something, wants to do a special effect they have no problem doing it. There is the famous story going back to iron man that the last 15 or so minutes in the climax never actually happened with Robert Downey Jr. its all stuntmen and as much digitial trickery as they could figure out.

Marvel as a filming unit doesn't seem to figure that out all the way. While some of the Netflix shows have done well enough in a TV realm, so many of them seem to suffer from the fact that they can't do that-there are fairly tight budgets and tight schedules-and to my mind they have really suffered for it.

DC in its TV shows is far from perfect, but i do get the sense its made by people who know "okay this is TV, what can we do to make it like that"-in particular i get the sense they watched a lot of modern Doctor Who and its ability to cut fast to suggest a bigger budget then they have.

Marvel. could learn perhaps a thing about it-cause in particular wow does inhumans look bad.

More
30 Aug 2017 22:14 #56062 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Medusa??????
I think it was a case of reaching to far.

Jessica Jones, Daredevil and to a certain extent Luke Cage, all seem to be going down well with most of the audience. And its easy to see why. The characters work on TV.

They don't have fancy super powers, or extremely wealthy, or cosmic, etc. Thus, the budget for the shows go a lot further. And thats my next point.

The stories they can tell are much more grounded. Even if they do require a special effect, its not beyond their budget to produce it. Sure they can't go gung ho and fix a hoddie like Marvel Films, but meh its fine. Even things like The Flash look pretty good given the tv-budget constant.

I think with Inhumans, they thought they were better then they were. I would have looked at the comic, looked at the budget, and thought "Nope". I mean, hair is RIDICULOUSLY hard and time consuming CGI. When you have a character whos primary identifier is her magic hair, you stop and think.

One could argue with great writing and directing, you could over look bad CGI or their approach, lop it off. But I think in this case I don't think you can. Its too fundamental to the character to be bad. The character doesn't work if its bad.

It would be like Magnum without the red Ferrari.

May as well not do the show.

Peace.

/K
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395, SCOTT R, aguilauno, Markiehoe

More
06 Sep 2017 00:48 #56117 by Markiehoe
As of right now the InHumans has a 0% Rotten Tomatoes rating.

www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_the_inhumans/s01

Did I mention that the Bastards shaved Medusa's hair and took away her superpower in the first episode?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCOTT R

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Sep 2017 00:55 #56118 by kikass2014
Replied by kikass2014 on topic Medusa??????

As of right now the InHumans has a 0% Rotten Tomatoes rating.

And thus the first lesson was taught to Marvel*.

Look before you leap.

Peace.

/K

*Albeit to their TV division.

More
06 Sep 2017 01:32 #56119 by TwiceOnThursdays
One of the best comments from a critic was "I guess Lockjaw is fine."

Seriously, how do you make a show with a giant teleporting dog bad?

I'd say most of these people haven't seen it .. except it was released in IMAX. (I didn't bother.)

I will say there is a hardcore hate for the inhumans since marvel has been focusing on Inhumans over mutants due to not owning movie/TV rights to mutants. i.e. Ms. Marvel is an Inhuman, and the only good thing that comes of that is that she occ. hangs with Lockjaw.

Ben Grimm/Lockjaw were always one of my favorite pairings.

So, up til people actually SAW Inhumans, I discounted most of the negativity. I'll still probably have to watch it to make up my own mind.

More
06 Sep 2017 03:05 #56120 by AuGoose
Replied by AuGoose on topic Medusa??????
I saw several minutes of the show at the SDCC. It seemed alright. Certainly worth watching 3-4 full episodes (minus the commercials).

Personally I'm finding Rotten tomatoes more and more irrelevant to my tastes. There is a zero percent chance a place that's giving it a zero percent rating has any bearing for me. Rotten Tomatoes stinks of knee-jerk groupthink lately and just plain does not seem to get anything deeper than scratch-the-surface stories that are brain-dead obvious. Its pretty much give-us-cliché-or-it's-terrible reviewer mentality all the way around.

More
06 Sep 2017 12:37 #56122 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Medusa??????
I havent' seen any episode of Inhumans so far, hence I can't really comment on the quality of the show.
As far as my tastes goes the biggest negative I found was the first trailer, it felt terribly generic and uninspired, like a pastiche of every possible cliché I could apply to those characters at once.

On the subject of Medusa's hair I'd like to see where are they going with that. Why? Because there's a precedent in the comics: at some point she was shaved clean because, apprently, her hair were the only substance in the world strong and thin enough to act as wiring for a machine that pretty much stopped the distruction of two nations. If the writer pulls out something like this it might be a good thing, also I'd like to see how they actually characterized her beside powers. I'm sorry to say, but a character (male or female) that is defined solely by his/hers powers it's the weakest kind of character in my book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ravens_ghost

More
06 Sep 2017 17:07 #56125 by TwiceOnThursdays

Woodclaw wrote:
On the subject of Medusa's hair I'd like to see where are they going with that. Why? Because there's a precedent in the comics: at some point she was shaved clean because, apprently, her hair were the only substance in the world strong and thin enough to act as wiring for a machine that pretty much stopped the distruction of two nations. If the writer pulls out something like this it might be a good thing, also I'd like to see how they actually characterized her beside powers. I'm sorry to say, but a character (male or female) that is defined solely by his/hers powers it's the weakest kind of character in my book.

There are large sections of Inhumans where I don't pay attention. I googled around trying to find this story and I'm coming up empty.

In the new Royals comic she's losing her hair (this is probably to set it up so it's like the TV show).. Her body seems to be rejecting her Terrigen and it's affecting her powers. I've seen a few panels and one suggests that Terrigen is Science/religion/Magic mixed up ... and Medusa destroyed the last Terrigen cloud (it was killing the mutants). So it's probably mental/guilt.

There is also an alternative cover to Uncanny Inhumans 15 in which she's shaving her hair, but it's just a cover (it doesn't happen in the story).

More
06 Sep 2017 17:11 #56126 by Markiehoe
Superman does not lose his power in his first story. Neither does Batman, Captain America, Wolverine, Green Lantern, Spiderman, Ironman, Thor, Antman,etc etc etc.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge395

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Sep 2017 17:39 #56127 by AuGoose
As a watcher of Flash but not Supergirl, Kara loses her powers in her second appearance. She's powerless in the musical/singing episode and that's fully 50% of her crossovers into Flash. People seem to really like that story.

Yes, it's a bit on the peril side, but Medusa's not losing he powers. They're being taken. And if the clips I've seen add up the way they almost have to, they're being taken by some who is rightly afraid of them. Seems like they'll return with a vengeance.

More
06 Sep 2017 18:11 #56128 by TwiceOnThursdays

Markiehoe wrote: Superman does not lose his power in his first story. Neither does Batman, Captain America, Wolverine, Green Lantern, Spiderman, Ironman, Thor, Antman,etc etc etc.....

Not the first story, the second one:

Superman II, Second solo Wolverine Movie, Thor 3 (his hammer), .... Spider-Man 2 (Toby). Iron Man "loses his powers" by getting rid of his armor. (IM2? 3? I forget.) In Antman I, the original Antman has lost his powers. Ditto in Green Lantern (Alien is dying and gives up his ring). Neither of these really count as we don't see them in action in present day.

Movies are different from TV...Flash and Supergirl both lose their powers S1. (for one episode, I suspect Medusa will be longer). Smallvillle: Clark has his powers transferred in S1. (I think this took Lois and Clark until S3, but it really wasn't about Superman's powers.), Dark Angel gets to the third episode when her powers go on the fritz when her friends dump her meds. S1 of the 1990 Flash ("Fast Forward").

I'll note we don't know which episode Medusa loses her hair, I don't think it's EP 1, since people seemed to learn about it from the trailer rather than the IMAX showing. It does seem early on. (Is Inhumans a limited season?)

Medusa isn't the only character in Inhumans, and she will get her power back. I do hope they portray this as "she's too dangerous" rather than some sick fascination of Maximus (more likely).

More
06 Sep 2017 19:26 #56129 by Woodclaw
Replied by Woodclaw on topic Medusa??????

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: There are large sections of Inhumans where I don't pay attention. I googled around trying to find this story and I'm coming up empty.

In the new Royals comic she's losing her hair (this is probably to set it up so it's like the TV show).. Her body seems to be rejecting her Terrigen and it's affecting her powers. I've seen a few panels and one suggests that Terrigen is Science/religion/Magic mixed up ... and Medusa destroyed the last Terrigen cloud (it was killing the mutants). So it's probably mental/guilt.

There is also an alternative cover to Uncanny Inhumans 15 in which she's shaving her hair, but it's just a cover (it doesn't happen in the story).

It wad the final issues of the 1998/99 Inhumans run ad part of the Marvel Knights line-up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwiceOnThursdays

More
06 Sep 2017 19:51 #56130 by TwiceOnThursdays

Woodclaw wrote:

TwiceOnThursdays wrote: There are large sections of Inhumans where I don't pay attention. I googled around trying to find this story and I'm coming up empty.

It wad the final issues of the 1998/99 Inhumans run ad part of the Marvel Knights line-up.

That was exactly it! I dropped most comics in the 90's. It's on Marvel Unlimited though!. Thanks. It also had some creepy helping of Maximus ... but in the end he was only doing as Medusa and Black Bolt guessed he would so they could achieve their objectives. I suspect the TV show will only keep the creepy licking Maximus, who steals her hair, and not the Medusa that not only help make the plan, but walked right into it the "trap", took the punishment, so she could win. Bad ass.

In the story she could still control her hair after it was cut off her head! It also seemed to grow back pretty quickly.

More
06 Sep 2017 21:00 #56131 by Markiehoe
When I am wrong i admit it.
Thor lost his power in his first movie.
To be fair it was a pretty dull movie when he hit Earth and i zoned out.
(I only saw it one time on late night cable.)

Since we are talking movies I don't take comics as an example.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Oct 2017 05:03 - 06 Dec 2017 15:05 #56410 by Helstar
After the first two episodes (aka the pilot episode, whatever) I can safely confirm this Inhumans serie is truly bad on almost all levels, I was almost hoping the early impressions were wrong (at least for my own tastes !)... damn, never a joy.

I don't expect anything better in the following episodes either, but I'll check them anyway just to see how worse Crystal can get (one of the worst characters ever, gives me a full 'wtf is she doing/saying' vibe on all her scenes) ^^;
Last edit: 06 Dec 2017 15:05 by Helstar.

More
22 Dec 2017 19:55 - 22 Dec 2017 19:55 #57819 by Markiehoe
Ten years ago the movie The Forbidden Kingdom was made.
There was an awesome character called the White Haired Demoness

In addition to her Kung Fu she uses a whip and a bow.

Late in the movie she starts to animate and use her hair as a weapon, which can grow to great lengths .
You can catch a tease of this about 1:40 into the trailer.

That is the best example I could find on the internet.
Trust me it is a good effect.
Funny how ten years ago it looked pretty darn good.
Yet they chose to cut Medusa's hair.
I still won't watch it.
I can just tune into The Forbidden Kingdom to get my fix.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 22 Dec 2017 19:55 by Markiehoe. Reason: spelling

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Dec 2017 22:57 #57822 by AuGoose
Eh, I don't expect TV and movies to have FX budgets anywhere near the same scale, and the TV show covers a LOT more screen time.

That said, I'll see if they give her chance to build her chops without powers before the inevitable restoration of her hair. Once it's in a format I can watch, anyway.

More
22 Dec 2017 23:55 #57824 by Markiehoe
The Forbidden Kingdom was budgeted at $55 million.
I am assuming that Jackie Chan and Jet Li were paid well for their services.
There is at least one good fight between the two of them in this movie.

There are no hard numbers for a TV production like Inhumans but the rumor is at least $20 million was spent on the pilot two episodes.
Six more episodes after that I think the money is a wash.

My point is that the White Haired Demonesses's hair effect is ten year old technology.
Probably dirt cheap to animate like that now.

• Markiehoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds